I am pretty sure Isabella would be heiress to Castile, though Philip could solve the problem by marrying her.
Do you mean Don Carlos' Isabella or Clara Eugenia? I assume the former. I was honestly under the impression that male preference primogeniture skipped over daughters of any sons who happened to die before their fathers (assuming they have primogeniture in all the Iberian crowns). Though yes, the problem can be solved by marrying her off (or her dying like her siblings). Not entirely sure how it works.

Last edited:
Great update but wouldn't Charles and Elisabeth's daughter Isabella be the heiress of Spain rather than Philip?
Would she? Was under the impression that she would be skipped due to male preference succession. I know these things can get tricky when the older son has a child that's not a son before he dies, I suppose. If that's not the case I can make an amendment to the post to correct my error.

Do you mean Don Carlos' Isabella or Clara Eugenia? I assume the former. I was honestly under the impression primogeniture skipped over daughters of any sons who happened to die before their fathers (assuming they have primogeniture in all the Iberian crowns). Though yes, the problem can be solved by marrying her off (or her dying like her siblings). Not entirely sure how it works.
Would she? Was under the impression that she would be skipped due to male preference succession. I know these things can get tricky when the older son has a child that's not a son before he dies, I suppose. If that's not the case I can make an amendment to the post to correct my error.
Spain followed Male-Preference primogeniture, which means that a daughter comes before all her Uncles, which would put Isabella ahead of Philip. Though you could have Philip II bypass her since he fears instability would amount from her reign, or something.

Spain followed Male-Preference primogeniture, which means that a daughter comes before all her Uncles, which would put Isabella ahead of Philip. Though you could have Philip II bypass her since he fears instability would amount from her reign, or something.
Ah
See I was under a different impression, but in light of this knowledge I amended the TL with the other more tragic option.

In 156x something, Prussia is only a minor, poor duchy (it's not even in PU with Brandenburg at that stage), subjected to king of Poland
Ah
Thanks for the clarification. Though I do suppose I said Prussia as a more general time as in "the state that will become Prussia" sort of way. Yeah they're not really relevant to England.......yet.

Ah
Thanks for the clarification. Though I do suppose I said Prussia as a more general time as in "the state that will become Prussia" sort of way. Yeah they're not really relevant to England.......yet.

They're not going to be relevant (even if you keep all OTL events regarding them, which was the best possible development for them) for like 200 yrs.

They're not going to be relevant (even if you keep all OTL events regarding them, which was the best possible development for them) for like 200 yrs.
We shall see basically, but yeah. Really wasn't even thinking much about Prussia up until now anyway because of that reason. At least Russia exists (in it's infancy) so we know they're going to be at least somewhat relevant. Not really much to England due to distance but they have become a thing.

We shall see basically, but yeah. Really wasn't even thinking much about Prussia up until now anyway because of that reason. At least Russia exists (in it's infancy) so we know they're going to be at least somewhat relevant. Not really much to England due to distance but they have become a thing.

Well, in Elizabethan period, England did trade a lot with Russia (Muscovy company) and James I even wanted to seize Siberia for fur trade as colony, so Philip Habsburg needs to solve the issues leading to these events IOTL as well

Well, in Elizabethan period, England did trade a lot with Russia (Muscovy company) and James I even wanted to seize Siberia for fur trade as colony, so Philip Habsburg needs to solve the issues leading to these events IOTL as well
Ah....that surprises me. Wonder how James I thought he would be able to accomplish this at the time(just imagining the world map hurts me it sounds so cursed) I do feel like with how much Philip Habsburg's gonna have on his plate (Not just England/Ireland but also Burgundy, Netherlands, Naples, Sicily, Spain, potentially Portugal too, plus the Philippines, North + South America) colonizing Siberia wouldn't be that high on his priorities (plus he'll likely be able to much more easily just colonize America earlier and without Spanish interference being he'd either be the heir or the king of Spain....but who knows, if James found the time to plan that, so can Philip.

Gonna look into this little thing I knew nothing about (I assume because it didn't go anywhere).

Ah....that surprises me. Wonder how James I thought he would be able to accomplish this at the time(just imagining the world map hurts me it sounds so cursed) I do feel like with how much Philip Habsburg's gonna have on his plate (Not just England/Ireland but also Burgundy, Netherlands, Naples, Sicily, Spain, potentially Portugal too, plus the Philippines, North + South America) colonizing Siberia wouldn't be that high on his priorities (plus he'll likely be able to much more easily just colonize America earlier and without Spanish interference being he'd either be the heir or the king of Spain....but who knows, if James found the time to plan that, so can Philip.

Gonna look into this little thing I knew nothing about (I assume because it didn't go anywhere).

The English quite frequently sailed to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangazeya so the plan was to seize it and impose English administator on fur taxes here, nothing more was needed for James (and that's why Russians prohibited North Siberian sea trade IOTL, they feared that naval power would fuck with their fur trade income, which was like 1/3 of general Tsar's treasury income). As far for Philip being involved, we should remember that for next like 20 yrs, his father isn't going anywhere, so Philip has England and England alone (with Ireland added).

One would hope Philip would stop burning people now.

I imagine in small holdings, and in secret rooms many will toast the Death of Mary the Tyrant.

The English quite frequently sailed to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangazeya so the plan was to seize it and impose English administator on fur taxes here, nothing more was needed for James (and that's why Russians prohibited North Siberian sea trade IOTL, they feared that naval power would fuck with their fur trade income, which was like 1/3 of general Tsar's treasury income). As far for Philip being involved, we should remember that for next like 20 yrs, his father isn't going anywhere, so Philip has England and England alone (with Ireland added).

Fair point.

Also the borders of it just being a coastal exclave is a lot more reasonable and less horrifying than England just controlling all of Siberia during the 1600's (i.e. without having serious access to the pacific), but something tells me it still wouldn't have lasted very long if it did get established, considering how inhospitable it would be.

Strange how this doesn't seem to get mentioned at all (the plan, I mean) though I imagine that's again because it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Though on the subject of that 20 years thing, the city is founded IOTL during 1600.....after Philip of Spain dies (1598). Now, he may be able to live a little longer here, but it wouldn't be by much because he's gonna be pushing into his 70's. Point is this would be after the big inheritance, and while it's still possible England would consider it, its doubtful the Triple+ King would even need it.

Point is I'll see what I can reasonably do.

One would hope Philip would stop burning people now.

I imagine in small holdings, and in secret rooms many will toast the Death of Mary the Tyrant.
Honestly, you're probably not wrong. That's certainly how the surviving protestants and John Foxe (who's living in Germany but not really relevant ITTL so I didn't mention him) would feel about her death, probably.

As for the stake burnings, they will obviously be phased out over time. Which King/Queen will see the last stake burning we will see though.

Well for France, shit just hit the proverbial fan. And with the French Wars of Religion likely looming, I half expect a far weaker France, if not one under a non-Capetian, by the end of the century.