Except by the start of the French Wars of Religion, Philip was about 35. Granted as you say, intervention was far off and by the time Philip the Elder would care enough, he would be close to dead.

That being said, with England, and likely Scotland, remaining Catholic, I wonder how that will affect the Protestant's fortunes in the French Wars of Religion.
Unless Scotland pulls a crazy and becomes Orthodox. :rolleyes:
(lmao nah that's not gonna happen it's way too late (and probably difficult) for that to be pulled off and besides those "heretics" aren't as aggressively responded to)

I'm torn on what'll happen to Scotland still but we're at the point where that's just starting to get really important to the TL so it'll develop as time goes on. It's certainly more likely for Scotland to remain Catholic ITTL but I do feel like they would still resist French control over them regardless of religion....and certainly English control over them.
No it's completely ok I understand having to delay a TL because of other stuff, you have no need to apologize I was just wondering.

But if you'd like my two cents I'd say that it should fall to Philip the Younger to take over Calais rather than his father, since I don't think Philip the Elder would care enough about taking it over until like the French Wars of Religion, and by that point he's already old as hell and close to dead.
Yeah to be honest it's kind of like, from the Spanish perspective I do imagine such a small chunk of land compared to Philip the Younger's inheritance would be sort of meaningless. Plus the French had like, close to 30k men to retake Calais and most of the fighting in this war is/was over Italy so I'd assume that most of the forces are in Italy. Dispatching that many troops to try and dislodging a large force like that for such a small (to him) piece of land would probably not be seen as worth it.

Unless Scotland pulls a crazy and becomes Orthodox. :rolleyes:
(lmao nah that's not gonna happen it's way too late (and probably difficult) for that to be pulled off and besides those "heretics" aren't as aggressively responded to)

I'm torn on what'll happen to Scotland still but we're at the point where that's just starting to get really important to the TL so it'll develop as time goes on. It's certainly more likely for Scotland to remain Catholic ITTL but I do feel like they would still resist French control over them regardless of religion....and certainly English control over them.

Yeah to be honest it's kind of like, from the Spanish perspective I do imagine such a small chunk of land compared to Philip the Younger's inheritance would be sort of meaningless. Plus the French had like, close to 30k men to retake Calais and most of the fighting in this war is/was over Italy so I'd assume that most of the forces are in Italy. Dispatching that many troops to try and dislodging a large force like that for such a small (to him) piece of land would probably not be seen as worth it.
Calais was a pretty important place for England and beside that a very good port city, at the border between France and Burgundy (who was part of Philip the Younger’s inheritance). And good harbors were worth a lot, so here is already unlikely who Philip II of Spain would accept such loss, and almost guaranteed who he (and his son still more) will try to recover it.

Without Elizabeth’s reign in England is guaranteed who Scotland will remain Catholic, and the same is true for the Netherlands who here will be under English and not Spanish control (as Spain (and Portugal if Sebastian die childless as he is guaranteed to do) was to be inherited by don Carlos, Philip II’s eldest son while the Netherlands were destined to his heirs by Mary Tudor).
Oh, and Philip the younger will be without doubt Philip II of England as his father was King Consort (in the same way in which his father was Philip II of Spain because his grandfather had been King Consort in Castile)

Last edited:
Calais was a pretty important place for England and beside that a very good port city, at the border between France and Burgundy (who was part of Philip the Younger’s inheritance). And good harbors were worth a lot, so here is already unlikely who Philip II of Spain would accept such loss, and almost guaranteed who he (and his son still more) will try to recover it.

Without Elizabeth’s reign in England is guaranteed who Scotland will remain Catholic, and the same is true for the Netherlands who here will be under English and not Spanish control (as Spain (and Portugal if Sebastian die childless as he is guaranteed to do) was to be inherited by don Carlos, Philip II’s eldest son while the Netherlands were destined to his heirs by Mary Tudor)
I'll certainly keep that in mind for the next post.

On the notion of Protestantism it is clear that obviously Protestantism would still exist in England,Scotland and the Netherlands (just go underground). We'll see though, but must keep in mind there was a loose tolerance of protestants in opposition to England during Mary de Guise's regency - at least at first, until they changed their mind when the Queen of Scots became consort of France. Obviously we'll see but yes Catholicism in Scotland is highly likely barring some unforeseeable event happening in the future. Part of me does regret that having a Protestant Scotland but Catholic England may be butterflied because I'm a sucker for a good rivalry difference story but oh well I suppose just gonna have to deal with it.

I feel like even if the Netherlands is religiously the same they'd still eventually have separatist movements though, since nationalism and patriotism are certainly different beasts than mere religion in the coming years/centuries. Not helping is the family tradition of the monarchs is a bit of a ticking time bomb. Thankfully Philip I of England is not going to be...bewitched, but time (and me) will tell if his descendants are eventually gonna set that bomb off or not.

I'll certainly keep that in mind for the next post.

On the notion of Protestantism it is clear that obviously Protestantism would still exist in England,Scotland and the Netherlands (just go underground). We'll see though, but must keep in mind there was a loose tolerance of protestants in opposition to England during Mary de Guise's regency - at least at first, until they changed their mind when the Queen of Scots became consort of France. Obviously we'll see but yes Catholicism in Scotland is highly likely barring some unforeseeable event happening in the future. Part of me does regret that having a Protestant Scotland but Catholic England may be butterflied because I'm a sucker for a good rivalry difference story but oh well I suppose just gonna have to deal with it.

I feel like even if the Netherlands is religiously the same they'd still eventually have separatist movements though, since nationalism and patriotism are certainly different beasts than mere religion in the coming years/centuries. Not helping is the family tradition of the monarchs is a bit of a ticking time bomb. Thankfully Philip I of England is not going to be...bewitched, but time (and me) will tell if his descendants are eventually gonna set that bomb off or not.
Being under Spanish rule is one thing, being in union/being part of England is a totally different one

Being under Spanish rule is one thing, being in union/being part of England is a totally different one
True
But even so the English weren't invincible. Pretty close to it at times though, but not truly undefeatable.
Though of course, this is more like the dawn of an empire - the sunset is a long time away.

True
But even so the English weren't invincible. Pretty close to it at times though, but not truly undefeatable.
Though of course, this is more like the dawn of an empire - the sunset is a long time away.
The point is who Nether are unlikely to feel constricted or suffer from an union with England who is close to them and had their same interests

Not helping is the family tradition of the monarchs is a bit of a ticking time bomb.
I think that's gonna be less of an issue ITTL. The big factors as to why Carlos el Hechizado got to be that way were the dearth of eligible partners due to the Reformation and geopolitics and plain old bad luck. Philip II had four OTL wives, with only two sons surviving to adulthood, one of which, Don Carlos, predeceased his father. Said sons were from his double first cousin Maria Manuela of Portugal and his niece Anna of Austria, so if he has any children with Mary Tudor (like ITTL) or surviving sons with Elisabeth of Valois (IMO a better choice, given that Philip and Mary were still closely related) all the better.

And in ITTL, we have at least three Habsburg branches instead of two (Spain, Austria, England), with maybe the Netherlands as a fourth branch down the line. Keeping in mind that the English monarchs were less insistent on equal marriages (meaning their consorts weren't required to be of royal stock as well) and even the Imperial branch brought in some new blood by marrying other Imperial houses like Bavaria, I think the chance of a Charles II of Spain are far less likely ITTL.

.....fair point
Nevertheless I had to bring it up.

Obviously I can't keep replying lest I give out spoilers or ruin the surprise of future events. I will say that the next post and most posts involving Scotland may as well be a series called "Mary Wars" considering how many Marys there are. Mary of Scots, Mary of England, Mary de ("of") Guise, fact all of Mary of Scots' maidens/ladies happen to be named Mary, if Catherine of Aragon had been named "Maria of Aragon" we'd definitely have a second Mary of England too.

I think that's gonna be less of an issue ITTL. The big factors as to why Carlos el Hechizado got to be that way were the dearth of eligible partners due to the Reformation and geopolitics and plain old bad luck. Philip II had four OTL wives, with only two sons surviving to adulthood, one of which, Don Carlos, predeceased his father. Said sons were from his double first cousin Maria Manuela of Portugal and his niece Anna of Austria, so if he has any children with Mary Tudor (like ITTL) or surviving sons with Elisabeth of Valois (IMO a better choice, given that Philip and Mary were still closely related) all the better.

And in ITTL, we have at least three Habsburg branches instead of two (Spain, Austria, England), with maybe the Netherlands as a fourth branch down the line. Keeping in mind that the English monarchs were less insistent on equal marriages (meaning their consorts weren't required to be of royal stock as well) and even the Imperial branch brought in some new blood by marrying other Imperial houses like Bavaria, I think the chance of a Charles II of Spain are far less likely ITTL.
Here don Carlos will likely have heathy children by Elisabeth of Valois (else the Spanish and English branches would be only one) and considering Sebastian‘s character don Carlos’ line will also inherit Portugal after his death (and that will be a direct inheritance without any reign of Cardinal Henry OR rival claims from the Guimaraes/Braganza). The Habsburg also had NOT that use of intermarriages as that was a well consolidated tradition in the Iberian Kingdoms but once the three Kingdoms are united AND you do NOT have Anna of Austria’s marriage in Spain + her brothers being all childless, you can very well prevent that practice to consolidate too much

Mary's Kingdom, Mary's Kingdom and Mary's Regency

1558 - 1559: The Italian War​

Marrying Elizabeth off.

How tempting, how delightful that concept was to Mary. It was no secret that while she may have held some respect for her sister as they were still family, the fact that Elizabeth was born of the notorious Anne Boleyn and was looked at by protestants as their preferred Queen of England resulted in Elizabeth through no evidenced fault of her own garnering much distrust from her sister. Even then, 'distrust' may be an understatement. It was an amazement to many that she had even let Elizabeth attend her children's births and christenings, though outside of that the younger sister was virtually absent from the lives of her niece and nephew. The choice of suitor was also favorable to Mary - Emmanuel Philibert could stand to be a key ally should the war successfully restore his hereditary lands. Even without him, he was still in effect the governor of the Netherlands, which was part of Mary's dowry and Philip's inheritance; restoring his lands in northern Italy was a primary goal of the war though - and from what she had been told the outcome seemed increasingly likely.

That's not to mention the impact her being married off to a catholic Italian lord and sent away to the peninsula would have on the remaining protestant faction and their various exiles. With that thought crossing her mind, her path was then decided.

Knowing well that Elizabeth would flat out refuse any marriage request, Mary first ensured that the idea was alright with her privy council. There were some naysayers, though the majority of them saw well Mary's point of view - and seeing as how Elizabeth was now the third in line rather than the first, neither the council nor parliament would be all too opposed to her marrying what was already a war-time ally.

When summoned to court and informed of the plan herself however, Elizabeth was not so amused about it.

While ever courteous to her majesty and sister, Elizabeth did decline the proposition of marriage - though Mary, also as "politely" as she could, insisted that it was for the good of England. Needless to say, there was at least a slight escalation between the two not long after that point, in true Tudor fashion. Though of course entertainment would come to exaggerate their conversation to an extent - in reality Elizabeth had to have a limit to herself, as she was trying to refuse a woman who with a stroke of a pen could have her beheaded. Though this was jokingly called "The Queen's Great Matter", it didn't take nearly as long for Mary to get this over done and with - Elizabeth's initial refusals didn't mean much without her being the immediate heir, and eventually Elizabeth did relent under the premise that this was a strategic & pragmatic union to secure the realm a future ally. Though, Mary did promise her some mercy in that the marriage would only happen once the current war with the French was finished, and she would be allowed to take most of her maids & ladies, including Kat Ashley, with her to the Duke's court. Until then, Elizabeth would remain in England.

Speaking of the war, there remained the issue of Calais.

There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Mary and the entirety of her regime wanted to retake Calais - even if the Lord was blessing her reign with two healthy children, losing it was such a blow to her prestige. However, doing so in this war may prove to be difficult. The war had been raging since the beginning of the decade, having been declared by former emperor Charles in 1551, and now been raging for the better part of a near decade. Many people were getting tired and exhausted by this war, and the English had already suffered a most humiliating defeat.

While Calais was a financial burden and on a map may seem like a relatively useless ounce of territory, it was a valuable port city and source of pride for the English. The problem was, the French would be just as valiant in keeping hold over it than the English would at retaking it. Even so, at least attempting to take it back would at least alleviate some of the sting from losing it - and so Mary pressured her husband greatly for that. Philip understood well the importance of Calais, though he also understood that his forces were already extended well across the Netherlands and the Italian peninsula. Luckily for Mary and Philip, there was a victory in July of 1558; the Battle of Gravelines, against the French - coming off a defeat by them in Thionville.

Wanting to at least try to retake Calais, Philip made sure to ignore the call for peace talks from the French and march his forces directly towards Calais. He was aware that the French forces who had taken the port city were at least 30,00 strong - while his initial force from Gravelines was only half of that size. As such, he had some survivors from Thionville march to join up with his forces before the march for Calais had actually begun; at the very least coming to match the French forces who had taken it.

When the forces finally clashed in September, the final fate of Calais - at least for this war, was to be decided.

To Mary's surprise, the letter she received detailed to her delight a successful reconquest - the Spanish & Dutch forces fighting just well enough to undo the occupation of the French and successfully retake the city; though it had been a hard and brutal fight, leaving many men dead. Mary of course, would make sure these men would be well remembered as heroes who fought for her country - a country that many of them were not even subjects of. Had the war not been nearing it's end already, it would have very been a pyrrhic victory. Nevertheless, it was a victory - and England would be celebrating for months to come; the Queen's honor restored and even the elder Philip gained some popularity amongst those who had previously hated the marriage.

The victory at Calais and in the low countries did not change the fact that the world lost a great and honorable man soon after however - not long after the battle Mary had learned that the man who she had looked to as a surrogate father once hers had been tempted into heresy, Charles V the Holy Roman Emperor, had passed on the 21st of September 1558. It was not a death that was unexpected, the man was riddled with health issues by the end of his life, but it was a death that Mary grieved for. He had even been willing to give her asylum when she was had her darkest hour and afraid for her life - though ultimately she had of course decided to remain in her homeland despite the threat. Indeed, it truly seemed as though God tested the Queen like he tested no other monarch. For every blessing he gave her reign, he seemed to craft some form of disaster be it the failed harvests or the initial loss of Calais. Perhaps maintaining the policy of purging her realm of it's sinful heresy would free her nation as well as her family from this strange series of ups and downs - she prayed dearly that her children would not meet the same fate as her half-brother. Especially while she herself still lived.

So far, that managed to be avoided.

Though what wasn't avoided was a sweeping epidemic of the virus known the world over as influenza had breached London during the later months of the year. Philip and Catherine had had been long absent from London by it's arrival, safe at Ludlow. Their mother however, did not leave the people of London even in this dark hour. It would prove to be at detriment of her health, for not long at all into November was she stricken with fever and fits of coughing - confining the queen to her bedchambers as court physicians desperately tried to prevent the disease from claiming her life. It didn't prevent the disease from claiming the life of Cardinal Reginald Pole however, Mary had received word of his death on the 17th of November, during a time in which she herself was concerned that she would soon follow after. By the grace of God, the Queen had ultimately survived this dance with death - though her fight had taken plenty out of her.

Once she had recovered, she settled the issue of Reginald Pole's replacement: Thomas Reynolds, who was the incumbent Dean of Exeter as well as one of Mary's chaplains. Similar to Pole, he didn't harbor much resentment to the Spanish Marriage and was devoted to the Catholic faith. He took his appointment as Archbishop of Canterbury graciously - honored that he had been her majesty's pick for the position.

With that settled, Mary could focus her attention fully on seeing the end of this bloody war.

With the fighting following the second battle of Calais as well as Thionville and Gravelines tapering down and Henry II of France being increasingly pressured by issues within his own realm to call for peace, the war ultimately would not last much longer. In April of 1559 diplomats from Spain and France met to discuss the terms of peace, with Mary having her own delegation sent for a treaty between England & France to be signed - with Ferdinand the Holy Roman Empire approving both treaties. Thus, the Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis willed:
  • Henry II of France was to renounce his hereditary claim to the Duchy of Milan, and also Spanish rule over Sicily, Naples and Sardinia.
  • France was also to recognize English sovereignty over Calais, return the hereditary lands of the Duchy of Savoy, cede Corsica to Genoa, and return the march of Montferrat to the Duke of Mantua.
  • The French were however allowed to keep some minor territories in the form of a few north Italian fortresses such as Saluzzo as well as three bishoprics (Toul, Metz and Verdun) as well as Saint Quentin, Ham and Le Catelet.
  • The Republic of Florence was to absorb the Republic of Siena.
  • Finally, all signatories were to purge their realm of heresy. Which of course, meant a strict enforcement of Catholicism.
  • In addition, the King of Spain & France agreed to ask the Pope, still Paul IV, to reconvene the Council of Trent, which allowed Ferdinand to be properly recognized as Holy Roman Emperor.
In addition to the peace, the marriages of Don Carlos, Prince of Asturias to Elizabeth de Valois - even though Henry II had some misgivings about the union based on what he had heard of the prince beforehand. He had considered offering her hand for the younger Philip, but with how long his daughter would have to wait before baring heirs with that one he had to simply deal with the original arrangement. Elizabeth of England, otherwise known as Elizabeth Tudor, was also married off to Emmanuel Philibert the Duke of Savoy. A day which Mary thought would never come. Many saw this union as controversial, as Elizabeth's mother had been "the great whore" as well as a protestant - though Elizabeth herself to be fair did at least outwardly conform with the law of the land. She was also the younger sister of England's queen whom was also the consort of Spain, so her hand in marriage was seen as important to many in spite of her 'history'.

As Elizabeth sailed on that ship of hers from London to Savoy, Mary felt a great weight having been lifted from her shoulders. Truly in her mind it was one of the best moments of her reign.

Yet again though, the lord would taketh away.

Not very long after the end of the Italian War did all of Europe receive word that King Henry II of France had been killed. Slain in an accident during a tournament held in large part to celebrate the marriage of his daughter. Francis II, but a teenage boy, was now King of France. This wasn't terrible for Mary on it's own, but was awful for her was the fact that her cousin Mary of Scots was the young boy's wife - meaning the Queen of Scotland was also the Queen (Consort) of France. Though of course, Scotland was de facto under the leadership of regent Mary de Guise.

The Catholic world would later grieve more when his holiness Pope Paul IV passed to be with God later the year, in August of 1559. While it was more than likely an eventually inevitable that Pope Pius IV would be enthroned as his successor - that would ultimately not be finalized until December and not truly effective until January of 1560. For the most part, this was due to foreign powers' interference in the selection process as well as a general disregard by the cardinals for any supposed seclusion during the conclave. Mary herself was not one of these secular rulers, though she had ideas as to which ones were involved.

1559 - 1560: Kingdoms of the Three Marys​

With the Italian War over, Mary now could truly focus on Mary and Mary. It was no secret that Mary was concerned with not only Scotland and France sharing a brain, not only with Scotland potentially going Protestant, but also with the fact the Queen of Scots was now the Queen of France as well and technically in line to the throne should Philip and Catherine die young - something which after Edward VI's reign was seen as plausible to some. While it would be a problem Mary would be unlikely to face in her lifetime, it's one she thought of on a regular basis. The idea of the Spanish marriage turned many heads, but the thought of a French marriage turned even more. Luckily for Mary and England as a whole, Mary had two if not three people ahead of her in the succession - safeguarding it from French control. Still, Mary couldn't stand having what was all but a French vassal right on her northern doorstep. She knew it was in her best interest to do what she could to somehow destabilize this 'auld alliance' the two have - and luckily for her there were some cracks within the foundation. Many people in Scotland, regardless of their religion, were concerned with the tendrils of French influence growing across Scotland - fearful that their nation may soon become little more than a French territory. Mary de Guise also was recently changing her tune regarding her prior tolerance of heretics, though by the time this policy of hers had changed. From Mary's intel she received word of iconoclasm outbreaks as well as some semi-secret faction called the 'Lords of the Congregation' in Scotland.

Needless to say, Mary watched the situation in Scotland carefully and silently. For many this was almost like a rerun of Edward I. She knew invading them now would be the worst mistake - not only would France be dragged into the war, but she would turn herself into a foreign invader that even the Anti-French in Scotland would oppose. For her it was best to leave Scotland be for now, and let it's issues continue festering. Neither the Lords of Congregation nor Mary's regency would receive support from Mary. An unstable Scotland was a better Scotland.

At least these moments of peace gave her ample time to fixate on the much needed tax reform and ordinances to begin the construction of a proper royal fleet; all of which managed to be passed through parliament in the months following the conclusion of the war; she knew that they would be needed in the coming years.

OOC: I'm sorry Sicily/Naples but I had to do it. The Mary Wars have begun. "Mary Wars Episode I: The Heretic Menace"
OOC+: If Mary did decide to invade Scotland this timeline may well be renamed to "Braveheart 2: Tudor Boogaloo"
Historical Trivia: Thomas Reynolds died imprisoned during the reign of Elizabeth, in 1560. He will be living longer here though, because I'd imagine that he will have much better health.

Last edited:
Great update. I wonder if Philip the younger could be Mary Stuart's second husband. She's significantly older than him but it would be a good way to unite Great Britain.

Great update. I wonder if Philip the younger could be Mary Stuart's second husband. She's significantly older than him but it would be a good way to unite Great Britain.
Well her first husband's bed is still warm....for now.

Obviously whether or not Great Britain even forms in this timeline is something that's a hefty spoiler for me to just reveal or debunk, but that would be one method I suppose. A bit of a "danger zone" method though. If Mary Stuart pops out a daughter instead of James though....

Philip is the prince of two kingdoms, so I'd find it difficult for him to be married to someone older than him, even if she would bring Scotland to the mix.

Philip is the prince of two kingdoms, so I'd find it difficult for him to be married to someone older than him, even if she would bring Scotland to the mix.
I know, it was just an unlikely idea. Philipcthe younger will probably marry an archduchess or a French princess. Either way I look forward to finding out.

With the unquestionably legitimate (for the Catholics) Mary Tudor still alive and with children, Marie Stuart has no claim on the English crown to enforce

With the unquestionably legitimate (for the Catholics) Mary Tudor still alive and with children, Marie Stuart has no claim on the English crown to enforce
True

I re-edited it a bit to make it out like that is more a hearsay thing/assumption that the French plan to do that (wouldn't be hard to see why, she is to be married to the dauphin and is now the queen consort of France so....the idea of doing that is there). That said no I will spoil that isn't going to happen. I mentioned it but no there is no plans for a war to put Mary Stuart on the English throne. Even IOTL I don't think her coming in by force would've worked much - she's pretty much Scottish with an asterik after all, given how she spent so much time in France. A monarch of England being forcibly installed by the French after the hundred (and fifteen) years war I just can't picture being popular or even long reigning - especially a teenage girl who who is the consort of France.

Basically there is no need to worry about the possibility of this happening. It's fun to imagine this unrealistic scenario but it's pretty much what the Anti-Spanish Marriage people dream about because they have to just deal with Philip & Catherine existing now. Like the Protestants are coping with Elizabeth being sailed off to Italy.

Both of these hopeless factions still exist but with Calais retaken, the French beaten, and Elizabeth off to Savoy they quite literally are just all bark with no bite.

True

I re-edited it a bit to make it out like that is more a hearsay thing/assumption that the French plan to do that (wouldn't be hard to see why, she is to be married to the dauphin and is now the queen consort of France so....the idea of doing that is there). That said no I will spoil that isn't going to happen. I mentioned it but no there is no plans for a war to put Mary Stuart on the English throne. Even IOTL I don't think her coming in by force would've worked much - she's pretty much Scottish with an asterik after all, given how she spent so much time in France. A monarch of England being forcibly installed by the French after the hundred (and fifteen) years war I just can't picture being popular or even long reigning - especially a teenage girl who who is the consort of France.

Basically there is no need to worry about the possibility of this happening. It's fun to imagine this unrealistic scenario but it's pretty much what the Anti-Spanish Marriage people dream about because they have to just deal with Philip & Catherine existing now. Like the Protestants are coping with Elizabeth being sailed off to Italy.

Both of these hopeless factions still exist but with Calais retaken, the French beaten, and Elizabeth off to Savoy they quite literally are just all bark with no bite.
Some borders dispute between Scotland and England (and a French-Scottish tentative to take a part of northern England) is a far likelier scenario as that happened quite often in OTL

God Save the Queen

1560: Of Guise & Stuarts (Ft. de Valois, Habsburgs & Tudors)​

The years following following the Italian War of 1551 - 1559 were for England rather peaceful - the only tension being the near eternal one between England and it's two closest neighbors - Scotland and France. And even then, no serious threat of outright war between the three realms - though Mary Stuart was relatively close in the line of succession, nobody in England seriously wanted her as Queen and with Philip around Mary's chance to claim the throne had long since slipped from her fingers - if she even really had one to begin with. Even Elizabeth - now the Duchess (Consort) of Savoy, calmly resounded to a peaceful life in Italy - no longer having to deal with frequently being in the tower or under house arrest, though she did miss her old friend Kat Ashley and was not all to excited at first about married life. Still, the Duke did prove himself an intelligent man; having been capable of resurrecting his realm essentially from the dead. Something everyone was sure the Burgundians or Greeks would love to accomplish. He was certainly a better man than Sir Thomas Seymour was towards her.

Still, Italy was a much different place than that of England - and she had to make sure that no matter what her true faith was, she conformed with what the law expected of her in public. That said, Elizabeth did enjoy herself being in by far one of the most cultural and artistic places in the known world - originator of the renaissance and many of the arts of which she was a patron.

At home, things were changing quite drastically. For one, the weather was becoming more favorable - meaning that just as the royal navy was getting properly rebuilt and the tax system reformed there were finally good harvests on the horizon as well. With Pope Pius IV installed, there was also more papal support of Mary's counter-reformation as well, and there was ultimately little parliament could do to prevent the arrival of papal legates and Jesuits onto England's shores to continue dealing with the remnants of Henry & Edward's heresy. What few remained not burned were more than likely nursing their delusions that perhaps the younger Philip will be swayed to their ways of worship, despite his mother's vast security network constructed to prevent that very thing from happening,

Thankfully for Mary, these annoying pests were a dying breed - quite literally depending on who they were, and their fanciful delusions would be the only comfort they receive under her reign.

They were not dying as much in Scotland though, and it wasn't for lack of trying on Mary de Guise's part. The issue was that Mary had previous tolerated the protestants, allowing them to gain political power and legitimacy before she then properly rescinded the policy like any true believer would. Even if she managed to crush the protestants in the northern realm though, that wouldn't change the resentment many Scots had for the thought of their nation becoming little more than a part of the French kingdom. It was not something that Mary, Queen of the English wanted either. Though she didn't want it to become Protestant either.

Little did she know that this situation would soon settle itself without any intervention on her part. Mary de Guise was able to decisively defeat the Lords of the Congregation in key battles early in the year of 1560, firmly uprooting the protestant hold on Scotland and sending the surviving lords into either recantation, exile or hiding. She was not able to capture John Knox however, who remained seemingly in hiding within Scotland or perhaps elsewhere in Europe like a cancerous tumor. However, the Protestant reformation had seemingly been crushed in Scotland - and soon enough the French issue sorted itself out when Mary de Guise died of dropsy but a few months later in June of 1560. This destabilized the French's hold over Scotland, as there was nobody really able to take up the mantle of Mary the Queen's regency while she herself remained in France; as a result, the nation was essentially run by the Scottish parliament as the next best thing.

It should be stated also that despite the distaste for increased French control and the issue of Protestantism, Mary de Guise was and even is in modern day well remembered by the Scottish people as a decent and formidable consort as well as regent. However, political opinion was at the very least more 'divided' in regards to the queen for whom she served as regent - it was very much true that such a long time living in France left the queen of Scots arguably more a French woman than a Scottish one. She wasn't an outright hated monarch by her people, though there were certainly some unsure about the situation at least; especially given how she was also the consort of France, thus sparking debate regarding what should happen once she produces heirs. That was a question Mary in London wrestled with endlessly, and she had no power over the decision making in that situation. It would be natural to assume that the French and Scottish thrones would simply separate should they have more than one son, but you can never guarantee how many children you sire nor how many live to adulthood.

This issue would also resolve itself before Mary could even really act on it however, as late in the year of 1560 it was revealed that Charles IX was now King of France - Francis II having died of a sudden ear infection in December to the grief of his mother, the powerful Catherine de Medici - who now continued to serve as regent yet again. There was talk down the grapevine of the idea that he had been poisoned by the Huguenots, though this seemed doubtful. This also meant that Mary, Queen of Scots would now be actually reigning within Scotland rather than France - and her hand in marriage was now up for grabs. Of course, she was far too old for the young Prince of Wales to marry, and in truth Mary would prefer her cousin to marry someone who wasn't the ruler of a powerful foreign realm - not that she had any actual influence over the matter, of course.

This also further weakened the French control over Scotland, as besides the auld alliance they now had little reason to actually stay in Scotland itself.

Now there was but one Mary to worry about. Or not, considering the event of her being a serious threat hinged on the health of Mary's children.

1561 - 1565: Fall of a Queen​

With Scotland and France no longer literally in the same bed as one another - though still rather close, Mary could focus on the various other problems facing both herself and the rest of England as a whole.

For one thing, she had recently gone through the menopause. In fact, it had started not long at all after she had reached her 44th birthday - though around the same time she did start noticing strange lumps upon her breasts that appeared and felt abnormal. As the months and about a year progressed, she also noticed portions of her right breast appeared to have a texture akin to that of an orange. She at first had dismissed it as something of a rash or inflammation, perhaps some minor illness that she got from time spent outside of any palace. For the time being, she focused on spending time with her family and watching her kingdom heal during this time of peace. With the weather finally improving, harvests would finally prove to be good for the realm in the coming years - something which frankly she had long been waiting for. Philip was also developing into a fine young man; he enjoyed playing with the (catholic) boys that he grew friendships with, and even from a young age he understand the importance of firmly maintaining the catholic faith. He could be a bit prideful though, perhaps developed because his mother did dote on him whenever she was able to be around him. His sister Catherine, at only about four years old now, was about your average young princess; her education was still just beginning. Mary treated her much the same though, if not spoiled her even more considering she was her only daughter.

Mary did not get to see her children as much as she would have liked, being a reigning queen and all, though she greatly enjoyed every moment in which she was. A fond memory of hers in particular comes from January of 1561, in which she permitted the performance of the play Gorboduc before herself and her children at court in Whitehall.

Not all of her family were doing so well however; for instance, when she learned that her sister had produced a child on the 12th of January 1562, she hadn't even known Elizabeth was successfully impregnated. She had honestly expected her half-sister to be reluctant towards consummation. Of course, the duke of Savoy was a bit lukewarm about the birth - as it was that of a daughter, christened Anna di Savoia ("Anna of Savoy" in English). Mary couldn't help but grumble a bit at the choice of name for her niece, knowing exactly who the namesake was. Still, that was Elizabeth's child and not hers.

At least Anna would be given a proper Catholic education, and Emmanuel Philibert was no Henry. Surely there was still time for him to procure a son, Elizabeth was the younger Tudor sister after all.

The same could not be said for the Spanish end of the family however - apparently Elisabeth de Valois' first successfully child had been a daughter as well, and Don Carlos had not been pleased with it so Mary had read. While he didn't do anything such as become a protestant over it, he did have a heated 'argument' with his wife over the matter of Isabella's birth in March of 1562. Possibly it had started with a simple remark from the prince, and his wife's response to his words only made him irrationally upset. All Mary was told about it in the correspondence was that her husband had to personally intervene to prevent the situation from escalating further. In all honestly, the things Mary heard about her step-son made her somewhat glad that she was technically barred from staying in Spain. She also heard that he had recently suffered a head injury though managed to recover from it - the correspondence did not say whether or not it was from this incident or before however. Mary would only later find out from the Spanish Ambassadors that it was from an unrelated incident.

There was also the matter of her health as well, considering Mary was taking notice that as time went on one of her breasts was notably bigger than that of the other - and they quite simply didn't feel quite right anymore. The ideas her physicians gave her didn't sit well with her either, the most frightful of their diagnoses being that she may have had the dreaded cancer.

She underwent recommended treatments for it just in case, though none of what she tried was ever very successful. In fact, as time went on she would notice even more alarming issues develop - such as lumps developing in rather unsavory places along her upper body, and increased itchiness that she struggled to not toy with as well.

She also fixated a lot on the reconstruction of her nation. The reigns of Henry VIII and Edward VI had virtually destroyed all of the beautiful religious art and culture that was spread throughout England when Mary herself was young - and though she was unable to make parliament agree to undoing the dissolution of the monasteries, though she did give order that new ones could be constructed should the religious authorities see fit. As for art and culture, Mary knew that would just have to heal and regrow on it's own, and she was happy to see that it indeed was. More practically, she also made regular trips to the ports to inspect the ongoing construction of her royal navy: much to her liking, the construction of the vast fleet of ships was going according to schedule thanks to the more favorable weather granted to England by a now much more 'merciful' Lord. The economic reforms passed by Mary's government earlier also helped.

Though, none of this would change the fact that Mary was no longer in very good health - as her cancer progressed, her health decreased with it. Though she gained a weaker appearance in these later and more painful years of hers, she still had her strong Tudor will. She fought her disease with all that she honestly could, given the time in which she lived; though she also made sure to make preparations for her son's eventual succession and regency should she lose this war.

At the very least, developments were going good in England. During 1562 the naval commander John Hawkins helped get England involved in the lucrative trade of the New World; he was reportedly helping ship slaves from Sierra Leone to Spain's holdings in the Caribbean. Though the Spanish themselves did not seem to like the idea of the English 'butting in' on what was a very Spain-and-Portugal dominated New World, they seemed to at least tolerate it considering Mary was still technically their consort. Mary had also earlier in the year received word about the ongoing conflicts in France over the protestant Huguenots. She simply snorted a bit, shaking her head. Protestants, always a thorn in the backside of any honest Catholic lord or lady. A pity it was that they had virtually taken over Scandinavia, though it was still better than the Nordic kings being full-on heathens like in the days of old.

The following year, in March of 1563, Mary would see the passing of the Poor Relief Act through Parliament, seeing to it that wealthier parishes offer their less fortunate neighbors - a further extension of Mary's many poor relief initiatives. There were also the ongoing French Wars of Religion, though Mary was content on letting France deal with that problem on it's own - her husband as well as the papacy were already assisting them and frankly she received more than enough complaints from her advisors after getting involved in the previous war with the French. From what she was being told, it was a bloody affair for sure but the Catholics were confident that the true faith would prevail in the end - which is what the ailing queen wanted to hear.

She did however, give orders to increase the garrison in Calais a bit, just in case the conflict happened to spill over.

As a result of the peace, Mary's final years proved to be relatively uneventful compared to her first. She knew well that her ailment was not her being with child, and at least had enough time to make her preparations for when she left this would should it be soon. Which of course, she hoped and fought hard so that it wouldn't - but it was clear that the stress of it all was only accelerating her declining health. Even so, at the very least July of 1564 saw Anthony Jenkinson return to England after getting a substantial increase in English trading rights within the Grand Duchy of Muscovy, still under the rule of Ivan IV. The Muscovites were not Catholic, but they weren't Protestant either. The Orthodox were the only 'heretics' who Mary 'tolerated'.

There was also a particular birth in the town of Stratford-upon-Avon around April of that year as well, though it would not prove to be very relevant for some time.

It would ultimately be one of the last eventful things to happen during Mary's reign, however. Once 1565 had rolled around, her cancer had progressed to it's final stages and it was clear to many within her privy council and inner circle that she was dying. By the time her 49th birthday, the queen was predominantly found laying in her bedchamber as she could feel her own end coming. The succession secured as Philip followed by Catherine, the concern was over who was to succeed the princess should she die without heirs. Though it was hoped that such an event was nothing to fear due to it's improbability, Mary still made it clear from her bed - and was passed through act of parliament unlike the illegal devise of her younger brother, that Philip was to immediately succeed her - should he die without heirs, then would be Catherine. Should she too die without heirs and if she is still alive, Elizabeth would succeed, and of course after her would be Anna provided she does not have any sons by that time. Some did argue that Elizabeth should not even be eligible for the throne anymore at all, though she was still Mary's sister and Henry VIII's daughter. Complaints were hushed anyway, with how unrealistic it seemed for both Philip and Catherine to be outlived by their aunt while also not producing heirs of their own by that time. Mary also decreed that her husband was to be regent for their son's minority, though that was a decree that none of those around her felt was actually practical.

After a long battle with what modern historians believe was more than likely breast cancer, Mary I of England passed on to be with God on the 10th of April, 1565. She was 49 years old. The bells throughout all of England tolled in mourning for the fallen queen once the servants surrounding her at the time noticed her silence and checked her pulse for confirmation. Within the hour, the young Prince of Wales and Princess Catherine were informed that their mother had passed. Being only 9-going-on-10 and 7 respectively, and close as noble children could possibly be their parents, the two did of course weep in grief for the woman who had cherished them from the moment they were born.

It was honestly painful for many of the servants to watch, with them begging to "see mama!" - particularly Catherine, the younger of the siblings.

Of course, everyone also knew what Mary's death meant. Yet again, England was in the hands of a 9 year old boy; only this time, a Catholic boy. With the heiress this time being a 7 year old girl.

download.jpg

QUEEN MARY I OF ENGLAND, IRELAND & FRANCE | 1553 - 1565

The young king's first act as king was to demand that his mother's wishes to be buried with his grandmother, Catherine of Aragon, be fulfilled. At first, it was interpreted that she was to be buried at Peterborough Cathedral; though Philip later said that he wanted the construction of a proper royal tomb at Westminster for the revered mother and daughter duo, to not only reunite the two in death but also properly commemorate them and their memory. Do stern was the young boy king's voice as he decreed this to his Nicholas Heath and the rest of the council, that they did well on seeing that it got done as soon as possible. The tomb of Mary and her mother Catherine of Aragon was in it's prime something to behold; only the finest of marble , stone and gold - even diamonds, were used in the construction and decoration - with the golden gate to the tomb having Mary's coat of arms etched onto it's center. Their coffins were of course directly apart from one another, resting side by side amongst the presence of angels, saints, and even the Virgin Mary herself.

Forever may they rest in peace.

1565: The Second Boy King​

Philip, Prince of Wales, was properly coronated as King Philip the second of England, Ireland & 'France' at Westminster Abbey on May 30, 1565; technically having reached the age of 10 by then. Though legally he was a Habsburg rather than a Tudor, the ceremony was very much a Tudor affair. The procession of Philip and his vast entourage of lords, knights, bishops, lords, the council and even his sister the heiress through London was truly a spectacle; in attendance where virtually all of the incumbent English nobles. When he had reached the abbey and stepped out of his carriage adorned in only the finest of contemporary renaissance garbs, he and his sister were escorted inside of the church where the Archbishop of Canterbury - Sir Thomas Reynolds, gained the prestigious honor of crowning the young king. Such a a shame that Mary herself would have never been able to view this moment anyway, it was to certain that all that she and her mother would be beaming with pride if they were there - though the women had earned their rest. Amazingly, even the Duke & Duchess of Savoy - that is to say Aunt Elizabeth and her husband were invited to attend alongside the obligatory appearance of the elder Philip - King of Spain and on paper the regent of England, though in practice it was actually Nicholas Heath who served that role. Following Mary's will on that part was simply not seen as practical or desired. This day had been the first time Elizabeth visited England since her marriage, and as such one of the first times the king and his heiress properly met their cousin Anna.

Nevertheless, the technical end of the Tudor period and beginning of the Habsburg period was one of both grief as well as that of joyous celebration. Mary had managed to pull England back into communion with Rome, and would be remembered for also starting work on reforming the economy and restoring England as a proper naval power. The loss and recapture of Calais would be a more controversial memory of her reign, though the people of England grieved for the loss of a strong queen regardless. Her son, though young, would be tasked with continuing his mother's work while also making his own mark on history as well.

"The Queen is Dead; Long Live the King!"

OOC: "Mary Wars Episode II: Attack of the Cancer"
OOC+: Someone please tell me if the House of Savoy's male only succession was just always a thing or if it was like, enacted at a certain date? I can't really find any information about the succession laws of the Savoy dynasty Pre-United Italy when I researched to make sure. I know succession laws can be changed (and a son can still be born later) but still.

Last edited: