Philip of England will reign as Philip II as Philip I of England was his father (King Consorts are ALWAYS counted in the regnal lists) and while I have no idea of when Savoy established Salic Law, I can guarantee you who Savoy at this point was already firmly under it (so male-only inheritance)

Philip of England will reign as Philip II as Philip I of England was his father (King Consorts are ALWAYS counted in the regnal lists) and while I have no idea of when Savoy established Salic Law, I can guarantee you who Savoy at this point was already firmly under it (so male-only inheritance)
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.
And ah, I'll change it to Philip the second then. Very minor change anyway.

Is Mary going to be buried with Catherine as she'd wanted IOTL?
I mean yeah she will.....in fact I actually had it said in the post that Philip's first order as king was that she be buried with her mother, finally reuniting the two in death. lol. But that's okay, it was a pretty big post XD

I mean yeah she will.....in fact I actually had it said in the post that Philip's first order as king was that she be buried with her mother, finally reuniting the two in death. lol. But that's okay, it was a pretty big post XD
But in that cathedral? Would not be better making a great tomb for his mother and grandmother in Westminster as Kings and Queens of England were buried there?

I added it in. I may go back and periodically add more description to things (I definitely need to formulate how Philip and Catherine - and Anna, would physically look like) over time.

Escalating Quickly

1565: Philip II, First (or, technically second) of the Habsburg Kings​

It was hard for many to believe that the Tudor period had - legally and technically speaking, reached an end. Once Elizabeth was to die, the Tudor line would be completely extinguished. Though King Philip II was Henry VIII's grandson, he was also of the Habsburg dynasty, and following traditional practices was to be listed and documented as a Habsburg king rather than a Tudor one. Of course the anglicized spelling was used rather than the Spanish, to dispel any concern that Philip would be more a Spaniard than a Englishman. It was the same house nonetheless, however.

Of course, Philip II's early reign was much like that of his uncle Edward's - the country was mostly under the control of the regent and privy council as the king was still well into his minority. Though Mary had decreed her husband to be regent of the realm, this segment of her will was not taken seriously by many after her death due to the impracticality of it - Nicholas Heath de facto held the position, and as a man of the church was not prone to the relentless power grabbing that the regents of the King's uncle had been; though his position was still a sought after one, and as such he of course had to be careful to retain the king's favor as well as his life. That all said, the Spanish Ambassadors still served as the king father's public eyes and ears in England while he remained in Spain - something which any plotter against the young king would certainly have to take serious note of.

Though Philip grieved for his mother still, he took his newfound position as king of England seriously - having been taught from an early age about the great responsibility that comes with his position. He was not expecting to become king so soon in his life, but there was no going back in time.

For the most part, 1565 was a rather peaceful year for England. The royal navy was going well, the economy was still in the green, and the construction of new catholic monasteries to replace those which had been dissolved was ongoing. Though Philip was not as strictly bound to the Spanish Marriage treaty - seeing as how there was no longer any such thing, as the country was under a regency there was no serious need or even desire for foreign war just yet amongst the council. The elder Philip had other things to do anyway, such as remarry now that the wife for him he "regretted" the death of was no longer with this world. Though he already had two legitimate sons, he was only 38 years old and could always have more. There were many women who he could potentially take as his next wife, though some of the options were of course also seen as suitors for his now reigning son. It was possible that he would have to settle for a betrothal rather than an immediate marriage.

It also didn't help much that his older son continued to be a handful. The elder Philip had found out not long after returning to Spain that his son had gotten into another argument with his wife Elisabeth de Valois, though the details of it wouldn't be told to Philip of England and his council in great detail. However, not long after the issue it was reported that Elisabeth had given birth to a boy - though a stillborn. Philip of England wrote his father and half-brother a letter of condolence for their loss. There were also rumors that Carlos had actually been implicated in plotting treason against his own father, though English officials did not get the entire story from the Spanish who seemed rather intent on hushing any talk of the affair.

His more distant cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots, also had news of which to speak. Namely being that she had married Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley. For King Philip of England, this was good: much like his mother, the last thing he wanted was for her to be the consort of France again. A kinsman of hers as well as a descendant of Henry VII from his matrilineal side was a much more tolerable match for the English. What's more, Mary come the end of the year was also known to be with child.

He would also receive correspondence from the Duke of Savoy early in the next year, joyously announcing the birth of Enrico Emmanuel, his son and legal heir to the Duchy of Savoy; and of course, the King's first cousin. Born on the 22nd of January, 1566. The Duke couldn't have been happier, considering his realm still operated under Salic law. King Philip of England congratulated his uncle and aunt for their son, and also for him having the patience which his maternal grandfather had sorely lacked.

Though none of this was as important in the immediate present - to England, anyway - as that of the young king's education. The country was in the capable hands of Heath and the rest of the council after all, and though the king did make public appearances and give certain orders he was still but a boy. A very smart and important boy, but still a boy nonetheless. As planned by his mother, the young king (and his sister) was taught to speak and write in English, Spanish, French and Latin. He was also taught in the many Italian languages as well, though read more so than spoke those. He was also of course taught to be a devout Catholic, well versed in the philosophies and theologies - though his tutors were always instructed to ensure they emphasized the importance of remaining with the true faith and it's church. Though of course, the young king was often spared the rod when he was 'naughty' or inattentive in lessons; that is to say someone else would be proxy for his punishments. This practice was mostly instituted thanks to his mother, who was not keen on the idea of someone beating her children - even if Edward VI's old tutor talked of doing it to the king.

1566 - 1567: Scottish Discord; English Chilling​

The years of 1566 and 1567 were also not entirely eventful in the traditional sense for King Philip II's reign. There was brewing unrest in Ireland, though Philip was assured that Henry Sidney would be able to handle the situation, especially during his planned expeditions in Ulster. There were also discoveries of calamine in the mendhip hills down in Somerset, and in early 1567 the Chatham drydock was completed - offering a proper place to store many of the ships for the burgeoning royal navy. The young King himself, like his mother, even appeared in person to view the completed project for himself, though accompanied by Heath. He expressed an overall approval of the construction.

It would also be in 1566 that on the 19th of June, Prince James of Scotland was born - the son of Mary Stuart and her husband Henry; a distant cousin to the young king in England. So long as the boy wouldn't also be a king of France, it was of little concern to England. His mother liking for unstable Scotland would prove to be somewhat fulfilled though, as in February of 1567 it was reported that the King consort of Scotland had been killed, with an investigation being launched into the murder. Suspicion had been placed heavily on the Earl of Bothwell, who had been a protestant noble that had recanted back to Catholicism following Mary de Guise's crushing of the congregation. This suspicion only heightened after he and Queen Mary married following his acquittal, and accused James Stuart - Earl of Moray, of not only being behind it but also harboring heretical sympathies; him being another recanted noble. The Earl of Moray was apparently arrested as the 'real' culprit and his home searched, which apparently angered many of the Scottish nobility and common folk alike. King Philip II of England was stunned to hear of these developments, but was told there was nothing much that the English could do about it - that is, until news reached them that the Earl of Moray had been successfully smuggled out of prison and was gathering men and support from other nobles to overthrow Mary, Queen of Scots. This was when a moment to get involved presented itself, and of course both Mary and James wanted support of the English King - sending to England letters seeking his favor.

Mary's delegation essentially asked for the English recognition of her as rightful sovereign of Scotland, and even proposed the hand in marriage of her son James to the King's sister Catherine. While some of the regency were in favor of the idea, the King himself was not - not while Catherine was the first in line to the throne. He would not give Scotland such close a claim to his throne. However, James' delegation clarified that he was not seeking to claim the throne for himself, but instead to outs her in favor of her son instead. He also promised that Scotland would remain, officially, a Catholic realm despite the claims of his sympathies with heretics. This ultimately kept the English out of interfering in the affair - and as such it was not long until Mary, Queen of Scots, was defeated by the Earl of Moray. On the 24th of July, 1567, she was forced to abdicate in favor of her son King James VI of Scotland; with the Earl of Moray taking up the position as his regent. Hepburn was last seen on a boat reportedly trying to flee for the Netherlands, while Mary was now imprisoned within her own realm.

Such is life in the kingdom of the north.

Other family issues happened as well - for one, on the 11th of September, 1567, Don Carlos gave birth at long last to what was first hoped to be a healthy son; though from what his half-brother King Philip II of England was told, the young prince Carlos was suffered severe breathing issues in his first few days at life and seemed incapable of properly being fed, he passed on by the 12th. What's worse for Don Carlos was that a few months later, his only other surviving child passed on December 28th, after a battle with an illness believed to have been smallpox. Though there is a rumor that she had actually suffered a severe head injury in an accident at the palace.

Modern historians believe that Don Carlos' second son was born with a birth defect known in later times as esophageal atresia. As for Isabela's death mere months later, historians are divided over it.

Yet again, King Philip II of England sent his half-brother and father letters of condolences for the loss. Europe would have at first, very little idea of what the significance of Carlos failing to produce a healthy male heir would have on all of the continent as well as the world - but they would learn very swiftly as well as very hard.

1568: OH​

1568 would be known as the year the course of European history changed forever. For one, King Philip of England was now becoming a teenager - and as such, was beginning to develop a certain attitude that came along with it. Which is to say, he was beginning to assert his proper authority as a king. Though only 13 years old, he was still officially under the elite supervision of the regency council.

This also meant that the issue of who he would marry was of ever increasing importance. As King of England as well as son to the King of Spain there were countless ladies throughout England and the rest of Europe who would be more than happy to take his hand in marriage. A long considered choice was Marguerite of France, which would ease tensions between the two nations. Also up for strong consideration was the king's cousin, Anna of Savoy, though were would be a wait time for that union. Solidifying more the alliance with Savoy as well as mending the ties between King Henry VIII's first two wives would certainly be fine entertainment for the history books & playwrights. Of course, the king also could have a pick of many English-born noblewomen, as was the case for his grandfather's second, third, fifth and sixth wives. Or perhaps he could take a member of the Austrian branch of his prestigious dynasty, such as Anna of Austria or even more desirably (due to a much closer age) Elisabeth of Austria, both daughters of the Holy Roman Emperor - both them and their father also being distant cousins to the king. The only thing certain was that the king would be marrying Catholic, his mother had even begged God to will that he would do so as the cancer was taking her life. Though true he could legally ignore such a command, Philip was not the kind of lad that would disobey his mother like that.

At least the subject of who was to be King Philip's consort could still wait for now though - he was only a teenager, only just sprouting his interest in the fairer sex. Though it would prove to be more important to all of Europe than anyone in England would have ever predicted.

Well, first of all there was the issue of cousin Mary, Queen of Scots. She had apparently attempted at least twice now to break out of her imprisonment within Scotland - though failed both times. The second of which, was an attempt to flee into Philip's own lands of England. Seeing as how Mary was still his cousin, though so was the infant James VI, Philip had written to the lords of Scotland - and mostly under pressure from his regents, a request that his cousin be given more proper accommodations than a dungeon cell. The Scottish officials at first complied with the King of England's wish and had Mary moved from a dungeon to that of house arrest inside one of Scotland's many castles, though would unexpectedly die by December of the year; historians believe her to have been poisoned.

It started with a certain absence of Carlos, Prince of Asturias from the Spanish Court - often explained away by his father without much in the way of disclosure. Of course, his other son, Philip II, was the only one informed of the actual gravity of the situation. He knew that his half-brother was 'finally' put under arrest, following increased irrational outbursts, attempts at treason, and even reportedly attempted murder. These letters were kept in the King's private archives, strictly to never be seen by foreign hands to preserve Spain's diplomatic reputation and hope for the eventual recovery of the prince. It was a recovery that would never come though, for on the 24th of July 1568 Carlos, Prince of Asturias, died.

His death meant two most important things: the first being that Elisabeth de Valois was, much to her happiness, free of being his wife and also free to marry again. The second, and the one that reportedly made King Charles IX of France become wide-eyed like that of a startled venison (though English & Spanish media love to exaggerate his reaction to the news), was that King Philip II of England was now the new Prince of Asturias - for he was the King of Spain's eldest surviving son, and both kingdoms had male preference primogeniture. Even the Spanish Marriage treaty mentioned this possibility and allowed it should it come to pass; and given that it was the King of England inheriting Spain rather than the other way around, there was a certain tolerance to it in England too. Though this situation was not taken lightly, as now the King of England was the most powerful teenage boy in all of Europe.

The King could hardly contain his excitement over this, understanding the importance he now held not only to England and Spain but the continent as well - though not really seeing the full picture, and his regent & advisors had to make it clear to him that this meant England & Spain's enemies - even certain domestic ones, would want nothing more than to see the young king dead so as to prevent this union from happening.

It was hoped that the 13 year old boy would take this threat seriously. His father certainly did.

OOC: Mary Wars Episode III: "Revenge of the Scots"
OOC+: Legends say the King of France shouting "OH MERDE!" could be heard from Ireland to Cathay. By the way the person who alluded to this happening congrats you get a virtual cookie.
OOC++: England-Spain-Naples be Ghidorah, France be Godzilla, and Scotland either Kong or Mothra. Austria is Gigan.
OOC+++: Was a bit unsure about what to do with Mary Stuart here, but I knew to make the outcome different. Since I don't think religion was the central reason behind these events (though was a factor), some of them still play out close to OTL but certain things happen that deviate. I can remove or change these events if it's deemed TOO improbable.

Last edited:
Scotland is definitely Mothra, and Austria should be Kong IMO.
I went with Gigan because Gigan usually works with Ghidorah in the old Japanese films.....wait, this means Prussia would be Kong doesn't it?
Though I can see Austria being Kong too now that I think about it more.

Last edited:
I went with Gigan because Gigan usually works with Ghidorah in the old Japanese films.....wait, this means Prussia would be Kong doesn't it?
Though I can see Austria being Kong too now that I think about it more.
Hmm, true. Maybe the Ottomans are Kong, or Poland? I don't think Prussia a major world player yet.

Hmm, true. Maybe the Ottomans are Kong, or Poland? I don't think Prussia a major world player yet.
Hard to say the more I think about it. I suppose the Franco-Ottoman alliance gives Ottomans some claim to being Kong for now? Maybe? There's a lot of qualifying nations in this time period,

Hard to say the more I think about it. I suppose the Franco-Ottoman alliance gives Ottomans some claim to being Kong for now? Maybe? There's a lot of qualifying nations in this time period,
Good point! The Franco-Ottoman alliance (I think it's beginning to fall apart at the moment), those make the Ottomans a decent counterpart to Kong. Hopefully they can help France beat the Ghidorah that is Anglo-Neapolitan-Spain