Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: If you put the pom-pom in the Valiant, would you be able to use full-length belts? Alternatively, could you fit a Bofors 40mm in there?

Last edited:
The big question is whether anybody outside Egypt is paying attention to the 7th Armoured's exercises? Probably too late for the BEF, but you never know.

Way to late for the BEF, wouldn't have mattered anyway as the French will still fall.

The Italians at least should have had someone looking at what the British are doing in Egypt. At this point the Germans couldn't care less.

True on both counts, though how much gets throufh to the Italian's that matter and how much the Italian's can do about the 7th is probably nil.

Question: If you put the pom-pom in the Valiant, would you be able to use full-length belts? Alternatively, could you fit a Bofors 40mm in there?

Probably yes to both with a bit of jiggling, wont happen though. The pom pom made sense for the Matilda 1 as it is better than an MG. The Valiant will be going to the 6pdr before the year is out (at least in small numbers) and a CS variant will be on the way soon as well. They will win out over the pom pom.

Probably yes to both with a bit of jiggling, wont happen though. The pom pom made sense for the Matilda 1 as it is better than an MG. The Valiant will be going to the 6pdr before the year is out (at least in small numbers) and a CS variant will be on the way soon as well. They will win out over the pom pom.
Possibly, but the pom-pom/Bofors has something neither a dedicated AT gun not howitzer has, the ability to engage multiple targets sequentially without needing to reload.

Possibly, but the pom-pom/Bofors has something neither a dedicated AT gun not howitzer has, the ability to engage multiple targets sequentially without needing to reload.
True and as a variant for the Far East in particular that could be useful. Thing is AT performance will still take priority in the minds of many in Europe so it will get pushed down the list of priorities. The Matilda 2 is possibly a more likely candidate for a pom pom. It will likely see action in the Far East before the Valiant and is good enough, even with a 2pdr to serve until the end of the war. It did OTL after all and a pom pom only makes it more effective in the jungle.

True and as a variant for the Far East in particular that could be useful. Thing is AT performance will still take priority in the minds of many in Europe so it will get pushed down the list of priorities. The Matilda 2 is possibly a more likely candidate for a pom pom. It will likely see action in the Far East before the Valiant and is good enough, even with a 2pdr to serve until the end of the war. It did OTL after all and a pom pom only makes it more effective in the jungle.
Fair enough. Then, of course, you have the Molins Gun, which, being based on a 6-pounder, might be viable for the Valiant.

Did anyone actually use a pom-Pom or similar during WW2? As far as I know there were a few vehicles with autocannon in the 20mm range (notably the pz2) and obviously instances of AA weapons used in the ground role, but it seems like the auto-spud-chucker fell out of favour between the boer war and the creation of the modern AGL.

7 May 1940. Gerawla, Egypt.

The 7th Armoured Division, commanded by Major General Michael Creagh had just finished yet another exercise. If one thing Creagh’s predecessor, Percy Hobart, had done for the old Mobile Division (Egypt), it was that he had given them a culture of training, and training hard. When the Division had been renamed the 7th Armoured Division in February, two months after Hobart had been ‘retired’, Creagh had maintained that culture. Brigadier John Caunter, commander of 4th Armoured Brigade (6th Battalion RTR, 7th Hussars) and Hugh Russell of 7th Armoured Brigade (1st Bn RTR and 8th Hussars), along with Bill Gott, who commanded the Support Group (1 Kings Royal rifle Corps, 2nd Rifle Brigade) were all involved, alongside Creagh, in dissecting the lessons of the exercise. They were joined by Brigadier Ponting, from the 5th Indian Infantry Brigade who had played the opposition, alongside the 1st Bn RTR.

The A9 and A10 Cruisers that had been received had gone to the 6th Battalion of the Royal Tank Regiment in 4th Armoured Brigade, so some their old Light Tanks were available for the Hussars, especially the 8th Kings Own Royal Irish Hussars who had been the least equipped regiment in the Division. The 30 A11 Infantry Tank Mark Is however had been something of an anomaly. Because of their slow speed they were probably better suited to defensive postures than attacking, and so for the purpose of the exercise they had been given to the 1st Bn RTR. They acted as part of the opposition along with the 5th Indian Infantry Brigade. The 11th Hussars, which was normally the Divisional Reconnaissance Regiment had worked with the 8th Hussars in 7th Armoured Brigade as part of the exercise.

Brigadier Ponting noted first of all that the experience of working alongside the tanks had been something of a revelation, especially for the Indian troops in the 3rd Battalion, 1st Punjab Regiment and 4th Battalion, 6th Rajputana Rifles. The Brigade had never really worked alongside tanks before, and they were lacking even the most rudimentary anti-tank capability, beyond a few Boys anti-tank rifles. If nothing else, Ponting noted, the exercise had given his Brigade a good experience. The 2-pdr pompom on the Infantry Tank Mark I had given the Brigade an effective support weapon.

The 4th Armoured Brigade, with the Support Group had played the role of holding the Indian infantry in place, while the 7th Armoured Brigade had circled around to take them in the flank and rear. In previous exercises this had proven highly effective. The presence amongst the defenders of the 1st Bn RTR however had complicated matters. The umpires noted that armour of the Infantry Tank Mark I was such that the 2-pdrs on the Cruiser tanks struggled to penetrate it from any range outside of the reply from the pompom gun. The armour on the Light Tanks and A9 was highly vulnerable to the pompom shells, while the thicker armour of the A10 was more resistant, they still had to come quite close to stand a chance of knocking out the Infantry Tank. The Indian troops use of their limited anti-tank capability and the presence of artillery was judged by the umpires to make the holding action by 4th Armoured Brigade very costly.

The flanking attack by the Hussars of 7th Armoured Brigade was met by just two troops of A11 Infantry Tanks, six tanks in all. Equipped entirely with machine gun armed Light Tanks, there was nothing the 8th Hussars had which could deal with the Matildas. The 11th Hussars, who were mostly equipped with armoured cars, came off even worse. If the exercise had been a real battle, 7th Armoured Division would have been gutted, all because of 30 Infantry Tanks. Creagh and his Brigade commanders sat down to work out what they should do next. Thankfully the Intelligence Corps was certain that the Italians had nothing like the Matilda.
At this point in time, the Pz III and IV are no better than the British cruiser tanks. Such a shame they didn't do exercises earlier, now it's too late to think about changing the way they use the Matilda I.
As for the Italians, I would suggest arming the troops with Can Opener, Indian pattern :p

At this point in time, the Pz III and IV are no better than the British cruiser tanks. Such a shame they didn't do exercises earlier, now it's too late to think about changing the way they use the Matilda I.
Unless you're moving them up to Sedan, I don't think there's a lot that you could really change, as their speed, though significantly faster compared to what it was, is still pretty glacial.

Now that's just filthy.
I'm not certain it could go in, there might not be enough room in the turret. I just though it might be an interesting idea to contemplate.

Last edited:
Forget the pom pom. It is a useful bodge for the moment but has no future. For the firepower the thing is huge and heavy. Plus the RN wants all it can get and not without reason. Ditto for Bofors which are needed for air defence. We have perfectly adequate dual firepower in the 6 Pounder/QF75mm plus getting the Vickers HV75mm team and Cromwell(insert thread equivalent) turret folk to party together.

It is a bit like Special Forces. They have their place and are very useful in that but the main peer thrust must be a unified normal army. Bodges like the pom pom would be useful but the main thrust has to be somethings that can be a standard design made in a gurt big factory and churned out in numbers. In our gun planning we do not have to go outside OTL, just tweak the decisions. Can our man nudge more tank transporters out of the system?

It would be nice if the detail designers were a) made to sit in a metal mock up of their proposals hatch closed and then a fire started smoke grenades let off inside and see how easy it is to get out. Maybe hamper a few with splints to simulate injuries. b) Make the ancillary installers do some heavy maintenance in the night, in the rain in February. Maybe then there will be decent hatches and ergonomic maintenance.

However, our man is a mere human and cannot do everything.

Forget the pom pom. It is a useful bodge for the moment but has no future. For the firepower the thing is huge and heavy. Plus the RN wants all it can get and not without reason. Ditto for Bofors which are needed for air defence. We have perfectly adequate dual firepower in the 6 Pounder/QF75mm plus getting the Vickers HV75mm team and Cromwell(insert thread equivalent) turret folk to party together.
The pom-pom is useful for being an automatic, belt-feed weapon, rather than a one-shot-and-reload weapon, so there might well be situations where it's useful, like against the Italians (swarms of L3 tankettes or similar would be a target-rich environment).

Can our man nudge more tank transporters out of the system?
It would be nice, but I doubt it at this stage of the war.

It would be nice if the detail designers were a) made to sit in a metal mock up of their proposals hatch closed and then a fire started smoke grenades let off inside and see how easy it is to get out. Maybe hamper a few with splints to simulate injuries. b) Make the ancillary installers do some heavy maintenance in the night, in the rain in February. Maybe then there will be decent hatches and ergonomic maintenance.
This is a very good point.

Did anyone actually use a pom-Pom or similar during WW2? As far as I know there were a few vehicles with autocannon in the 20mm range (notably the pz2) and obviously instances of AA weapons used in the ground role, but it seems like the auto-spud-chucker fell out of favour between the boer war and the creation of the modern AGL.
AFAIK, no. There were some vehicles mounting 37mm or 40mm automatics, but they were specifically for SPAA. The problem was that the autoloaders were heavy and bulky (look at the turret height on the Crusader AA) and for the same weight and space you could get either a proper AT gun with much greater range and penetration or a proper field gun with a much bigger HE shell.

The tactic of "much dakka at short range" is one that doesn't seem to have worked out well in any context above infantry small arms - range and shell weight always seemed to win out over sheer volume of fire.

The Royal Navy used them extensively in the first three years of the war in multiple mounts - single, twin, triple, octable, etc.
I should have specified “as ground based weapons”. I just find it interesting we have lots of enthusiasm for the Pom-
Pom on the battlefield when as far as I know no-one even attempted anything similar between the Boer and Vietnam wars.

marathag

Banned
I just find it interesting we have lots of enthusiasm for the Pom-
Pom on the battlefield when as far as I know no-one even attempted anything similar between the Boer and Vietnam wars.
McLean 37mm, gas operated
37mmMcLeanUSPrague9.jpg

The American inventor Samuel Neal McLean was one of the pioneers of the modern armaments, since he was the one patenting in 1902 the very first automatic weapon system taking its energy from a piston using the shooting propulsive gasses. Although this system never reall worked on its firm Mc Lean Company's machineguns projects before it associated with the colonel Issac Lewis and designe the famous Lewis machinegun that equipped the British Army during WWI, it was a bit more easily used on a small 37 mm gun.

This automatic gun that was supposed to allow incredible firing rates of about 100 rounds per minute ws not able to convince the US Army and the US Navy during numerous tests and demonstrations between 1903 and 1910 on the models MkI, then MkII, showing too much reliability issues. But in 1916 the Poole Engineering Machine Co, from Baltimore, manufactured a new variant named the '37 mm McLean MkIII' that was keeping the long 54 calibres barrel and the pneumatic automatic system of the MkII version never accepted by USA, but mounted on a tubular carriage similar to the one made by Bethlehem Steel for its landing gun.

258 such guns were built, and 218 of them delivered to Russia before that nation withdrawed from war in 1917. The remaining guns were again proposed to the US Navy without success. Russia kept its guns in the Army inventories until 1935 when most of them were given to Spain. Czechoslovakia during the fights against the Soviets in 1919, and Filand during the Winter War in 1939 captured some of these guns and used them to
o.
Technical data :
  • Complete description : 37mm Mc Lean Automatic Cannon MkIII
  • Design year : 1916
  • Calibre : 37.20 mm
  • Weight in firing position : 336 kg
  • Weight for transportation :
  • Tube length in calibres : 54.00
  • Grooves :
  • Projectile weight :
  • Initial speed : 442 m/s
  • Fire rate : 100 rounds / minute
  • Range : 3200 m

The AAC Company took this design, and repackaged them for the Bell FM-1 and Marmon-Herrington light tanks.
5 round clip.

AAC, American Armaments Company, was run by real crooks, though. Very shady, even by international arms seller standards

I should have specified “as ground based weapons”. I just find it interesting we have lots of enthusiasm for the Pom-
There was some use of the COW 37mm autocannon, by the RAF, on armoured trucks as an airfield defense weapon post-Dunkirk.

The Marmon-Herrington CTMS and MTLS, produced in the US for the Free Dutch forces was armed with 37mm autocannons (single in the CTMS, twin in the MTLS).

Edit: Possibly a bit on the marginal side, there's the Swiss Panzer-39...2 4mm autocannon, so bigger than typical for WW2 but short of the 1-2 pound shot of various pom poms...

Last edited:
AIUI the COW was used by Vickers as a basis for the Pom-Pom. Vickers bought out Coventry Ordinance Works in the early 20's I think.

The Pom Pom dates back to the 1890's and is just an oversized Maxim Gun. The C.O.W is a late WWI gun and was later to be the basis for the Vickers S 40mm aircraft gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.