Chronology by RattenfangerVonMemphis up through 1917
I've got three tracks running parallel and have to sort it all out in my head... but events in Austria need to be discussed soon.
Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth, in your entry above, you hinted at how you have to juggle all these various historical scenarios up in the air at the same time (“ three tracks running parallel and have to sort it all out in my head”) and I have wondered about how you actually do plot out what I think has to be really more than “three tracks” of events when you write your chapters.

At first, I was reading this thread, chapter by chapter, and was not too aware if events in one chapter were happening simultaneously with another chapter or maybe before or after. I was not clearly seeing how, for example, events in Austria or France or Mexico were overlapping, intersecting or meshing with each other. Each chapter was being read by me essentially in isolation.

So I decided to do a timeline, or an outline, of the events that had mentioned dates as well as your own clarifying answers to questions asked by us fans upon reading your chapters and combine them into a chronology so I could see at a glance what was happening when and where.

And it made me wonder if you are doing a similar timeline/outline/chronology ? If so, I am sure I am not the only fan here who would like to see it. Here is an example of how I put together information found in this thread from your chapters which only made me enjoy your timeline more fully and also realize the massive amount of research you have had to have done to put it all together. (Quotes are Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth’s words from the various chapters.)

Events from September 1916 to December 1916, courtesy of Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth…
--------------------
September 23, 1916 -- Tsar Michael II marches on Petrograd. Martov flees to Norway via Finland

September 24, 1916 – Tsar takes control of Petrograd, ending the September Revolution.

September 25, 1916 -- Tsar in Winter Palace as Germans begin shelling Petrograd. Tsar requests Armistice talks with Germany via Sweden. Germans agree.

September 28, 1916 – Stockholm Armistice signed between Russia and Germany

In October 1916 -- Germans allow Lenin to go from Switzerland to Russia… Ireland is under martial law.

“By October 1916, Germany appeared to be on top of the world. Its armies stretched from Amiens to Estonia, and Europe was subjugated, allied, or frightened into neutrality. Given the chaos France was in (1), a further advance in the West would overwhelm the few loyal French troops left in the trenches. The September Revolution had placed a weak Tsar at the top of an unstable Russia, and much of eastern Europe lay under the German heel. German U-boats remained on the prowl in the Atlantic, ready to restart their campaign against British shipping at any moment, while David Lloyd George’s government in London was sitting on the head of a pin. Thus, historians tend to overlook one essential fact of the Great War.

The German Empire was nearly as eager for peace as the Entente..”

October 3, 1916 -- Germans beginning planning Peace Conference in Dresden

October 13, 1916 – British diplomats arrive in Dresden

October 14, 1916 -- French diplomats arrive in Dresden

October 15, 1916 -- Dresden Peace Conference opens. Belgium’s borders to be shifted westward, acquiring French territory while Germany annexes Belgian territory east of the Meuse River. Neutral Moresnet annexed to Prussia. Germany to receive Belgian Congo. Luxembourg becomes a German Federal state.

October 16, 1916 – Dresden Peace Conference continues. Germany to repatriate British POWs, including Haig, by start of 1917. Britain agrees to battleship equality with Germany. Germany does not bring up issue of Ireland’s independence. No British reparations. Italy to purchase Malta and British Somaliland. Cyprus to have plebiscite in 1917. Germany cedes Namibia and New Guinea to the British Empire. Ottoman Empire pre-war boundaries restored, including Hejaz. “The British signed what was more or less a white peace with the Germans, nothing worse.”

October 1916 --- Dresden Peace Conference continues with France. France allowed a 75,000 army only. Italy takes Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Tunisia and Djibouti. Germany annexes French territory east of the Meuse River. “Tens of thousands of square miles” of France to be left under German rule. French born in these territories eligible for German citizenship. Germany acquires Morocco and other French African colonies plus a 99-year lease of Dakar. France to pay Germany 65 billion francs as reparations. French navy to be divided up between Germany and Italy. Monaco to remain independent.

October 20, 1916 – Treaty of Dresden signed. The Great War ends in the west. Other provisions.. Albania becomes Italian protectorate. Montenegro annexed to Austria-Hungary under civilian rule. Serbia under Austro-Hungarian military rule. Bulgaria gets Macedonia from Serbia.

October 24, 1916 – In London, the Anglo-French Financial Commission agrees that Britain and France cannot repay their American debts… Caillaux government in France falls. Emile Loubet the new leader

October 26, 1916 – The Anglo-French Financial Commision tells American banker J. P. Morgan that their debts to the United States cannot be repaid. When President Wilson is informed he “instructed Morgan to issue an ultimatum to the Commission in his name immediately: either commit to paying off all debt by the originally agreed dates, or he would treat them as having defaulted. The Commission replied within four hours: they were going to default and risk the consequences.”

October 27, 1916 -- President Wilson issues an executive order allowing JP Morgan to assume control over all British-and-French-held assets in the United States.

Late October 1916 – Several instances of British and French managers sabotaging and damaging the companies and assets seized by the Americans

November 1, 1916 – At Konigsberg, Russia begins peace negotiations with Central Powers.The frontline as of September 14, 1916 is to be Russia’s new international western border. Provisions include Finland independence, Romania gets Bessarabia, A Habsburg is on the throne of the Austro-Hungarian puppet Kingdom of Poland. Russia to keep Ukraine. Russia’s Black Sea Fleet to be divided between Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria and Romania......In a livid telephone call to the Anglo-French Finance Commission J. P. said that because of the October acts of sabotage, he would only value the collateral at three-fourths its official value, as that was the most he could hope to get out of it. Britain and France were still on the hook for a quarter of their debts, and Morgan wouldn’t settle for anything less than cash.

November 7, 1916 – U.S. Presidential Election. Wilson loses to Charles Evans Hughes… Emperor Franz Josef dies, Archduke Karl is the new ruler of the Dual Monarchy

November 11, 1916 -- Russia signs Treaty of Konigsberg with Central Powers

November 13, 1916 -- News of the Anglo-French defaults begins rocking the U.S. Stock Market

November 30, 1916 – U. S. economy has shrunk back to 1913 levels due to Anglo-French defaults and collapse of the arms industry.

In November 1916 --- Ottoman Empire continues the Armenian Genocide. By 1918-1919, the only Armenians left will be those on the Russian side of the border.

December 25, 1916 -- The Japanese-Siamese Pact signed. Aims to eliminate Anglo-French influence in Siam. ......The French franc now worth only 1/13 of its 1914 value

Sometime after the Peace of Dresden (October 20, 1916), in Portuguese Macau, Japan signs a “white” peace with Germany. Japan to keep Qingdao (Tsingtao) and Pacific islands. Germans to retain their pre-war rights, mostly economic, in Qingtao
---------------------------------------------
One of the most interesting sections to me, was the aftermath of Emperor Karl's death.
October 30, 1917 -- Emperor Karl declares Vienna an open city. Hungarians take Vienna and loot the city. Emperor Karl is assassinated in the Cathedral of Saint Stephen.

October 31, 1917 – U.S. Secretary of State Colby lands at Acapulco, Mexico and is taken inland to Taxco to negotiate with Zapata. In return for American arms, Zapata will help the Americans against Carranza.

October 1917 – “When news came of the sack of Vienna, he [Adolf Hitler] is said to have rhetorically asked his [primary school art] pupils, "What can one expect from a such a race as the Hungarians? It all goes back to Genghis Khan, you know."

November 1, 1917 -- Danubian royal family reaches Salzburg…At a Dijon lunch General Famride and Georges Sorel reach a “modus vivendi” that Famride is THE leader.

In early November 5-year-old Otto becomes new Emperor with his uncle, Archduke Maximilian, as regent until Otto turns 18.

Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth, in your entry above, you hinted at how you have to juggle all these various historical scenarios up in the air at the same time (“ three tracks running parallel and have to sort it all out in my head”) and I have wondered about how you actually do plot out what I think has to be really more than “three tracks” of events when you write your chapters.

At first, I was reading this thread, chapter by chapter, and was not too aware if events in one chapter were happening simultaneously with another chapter or maybe before or after. I was not clearly seeing how, for example, events in Austria or France or Mexico were overlapping, intersecting or meshing with each other. Each chapter was being read by me essentially in isolation.

So I decided to do a timeline, or an outline, of the events that had mentioned dates as well as your own clarifying answers to questions asked by us fans upon reading your chapters and combine them into a chronology so I could see at a glance what was happening when and where.

And it made me wonder if you are doing a similar timeline/outline/chronology ? If so, I am sure I am not the only fan here who would like to see it. Here is an example of how I put together information found in this thread from your chapters which only made me enjoy your timeline more fully and also realize the massive amount of research you have had to have done to put it all together. (Quotes are Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth’s words from the various chapters.)

Events from September 1916 to December 1916, courtesy of Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth…
--------------------
September 23, 1916 -- Tsar Michael II marches on Petrograd. Martov flees to Norway via Finland

September 24, 1916 – Tsar takes control of Petrograd, ending the September Revolution.

September 25, 1916 -- Tsar in Winter Palace as Germans begin shelling Petrograd. Tsar requests Armistice talks with Germany via Sweden. Germans agree.

September 28, 1916 – Stockholm Armistice signed between Russia and Germany

In October 1916 -- Germans allow Lenin to go from Switzerland to Russia… Ireland is under martial law.

“By October 1916, Germany appeared to be on top of the world. Its armies stretched from Amiens to Estonia, and Europe was subjugated, allied, or frightened into neutrality. Given the chaos France was in (1), a further advance in the West would overwhelm the few loyal French troops left in the trenches. The September Revolution had placed a weak Tsar at the top of an unstable Russia, and much of eastern Europe lay under the German heel. German U-boats remained on the prowl in the Atlantic, ready to restart their campaign against British shipping at any moment, while David Lloyd George’s government in London was sitting on the head of a pin. Thus, historians tend to overlook one essential fact of the Great War.

The German Empire was nearly as eager for peace as the Entente..”

October 3, 1916 -- Germans beginning planning Peace Conference in Dresden

October 13, 1916 – British diplomats arrive in Dresden

October 14, 1916 -- French diplomats arrive in Dresden

October 15, 1916 -- Dresden Peace Conference opens. Belgium’s borders to be shifted westward, acquiring French territory while Germany annexes Belgian territory east of the Meuse River. Neutral Moresnet annexed to Prussia. Germany to receive Belgian Congo. Luxembourg becomes a German Federal state.

October 16, 1916 – Dresden Peace Conference continues. Germany to repatriate British POWs, including Haig, by start of 1917. Britain agrees to battleship equality with Germany. Germany does not bring up issue of Ireland’s independence. No British reparations. Italy to purchase Malta and British Somaliland. Cyprus to have plebiscite in 1917. Germany cedes Namibia and New Guinea to the British Empire. Ottoman Empire pre-war boundaries restored, including Hejaz. “The British signed what was more or less a white peace with the Germans, nothing worse.”

October 1916 --- Dresden Peace Conference continues with France. France allowed a 75,000 army only. Italy takes Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Tunisia and Djibouti. Germany annexes French territory east of the Meuse River. “Tens of thousands of square miles” of France to be left under German rule. French born in these territories eligible for German citizenship. Germany acquires Morocco and other French African colonies plus a 99-year lease of Dakar. France to pay Germany 65 billion francs as reparations. French navy to be divided up between Germany and Italy. Monaco to remain independent.

October 20, 1916 – Treaty of Dresden signed. The Great War ends in the west. Other provisions.. Albania becomes Italian protectorate. Montenegro annexed to Austria-Hungary under civilian rule. Serbia under Austro-Hungarian military rule. Bulgaria gets Macedonia from Serbia.

October 24, 1916 – In London, the Anglo-French Financial Commission agrees that Britain and France cannot repay their American debts… Caillaux government in France falls. Emile Loubet the new leader

October 26, 1916 – The Anglo-French Financial Commision tells American banker J. P. Morgan that their debts to the United States cannot be repaid. When President Wilson is informed he “instructed Morgan to issue an ultimatum to the Commission in his name immediately: either commit to paying off all debt by the originally agreed dates, or he would treat them as having defaulted. The Commission replied within four hours: they were going to default and risk the consequences.”

October 27, 1916 -- President Wilson issues an executive order allowing JP Morgan to assume control over all British-and-French-held assets in the United States.

Late October 1916 – Several instances of British and French managers sabotaging and damaging the companies and assets seized by the Americans

November 1, 1916 – At Konigsberg, Russia begins peace negotiations with Central Powers.The frontline as of September 14, 1916 is to be Russia’s new international western border. Provisions include Finland independence, Romania gets Bessarabia, A Habsburg is on the throne of the Austro-Hungarian puppet Kingdom of Poland. Russia to keep Ukraine. Russia’s Black Sea Fleet to be divided between Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria and Romania......In a livid telephone call to the Anglo-French Finance Commission J. P. said that because of the October acts of sabotage, he would only value the collateral at three-fourths its official value, as that was the most he could hope to get out of it. Britain and France were still on the hook for a quarter of their debts, and Morgan wouldn’t settle for anything less than cash.

November 7, 1916 – U.S. Presidential Election. Wilson loses to Charles Evans Hughes… Emperor Franz Josef dies, Archduke Karl is the new ruler of the Dual Monarchy

November 11, 1916 -- Russia signs Treaty of Konigsberg with Central Powers

November 13, 1916 -- News of the Anglo-French defaults begins rocking the U.S. Stock Market

November 30, 1916 – U. S. economy has shrunk back to 1913 levels due to Anglo-French defaults and collapse of the arms industry.

In November 1916 --- Ottoman Empire continues the Armenian Genocide. By 1918-1919, the only Armenians left will be those on the Russian side of the border.

December 25, 1916 -- The Japanese-Siamese Pact signed. Aims to eliminate Anglo-French influence in Siam. ......The French franc now worth only 1/13 of its 1914 value

Sometime after the Peace of Dresden (October 20, 1916), in Portuguese Macau, Japan signs a “white” peace with Germany. Japan to keep Qingdao (Tsingtao) and Pacific islands. Germans to retain their pre-war rights, mostly economic, in Qingtao
One of the most interesting sections to me, was the aftermath of Emperor Karl's death.
October 30, 1917 -- Emperor Karl declares Vienna an open city. Hungarians take Vienna and loot the city. Emperor Karl is assassinated in the Cathedral of Saint Stephen.

October 31, 1917 – U.S. Secretary of State Colby lands at Acapulco, Mexico and is taken inland to Taxco to negotiate with Zapata. In return for American arms, Zapata will help the Americans against Carranza.

October 1917 – “When news came of the sack of Vienna, he [Adolf Hitler] is said to have rhetorically asked his [primary school art] pupils, "What can one expect from a such a race as the Hungarians? It all goes back to Genghis Khan, you know."

November 1, 1917 -- Danubian royal family reaches Salzburg…At a Dijon lunch General Famride and Georges Sorel reach a “modus vivendi” that Famride is THE leader.

In early November 5-year-old Otto becomes new Emperor with his uncle, Archduke Maximilian, as regent until Otto turns 18.
Oh my goodness, thank you very much! That was awfully kind of you! There's nothing I love more when readers interact with my work like that!
:) :) :)
For the sake of any new readers, I'm going to threadmark that.

As time goes on, to an extent.
I've got a chapter on the German East planned for... some point soon. The Polish Border Strip will be germanised, and I imagine the United Baltic Duchy and Courland-Semigalia will to a limited extent. As for the Kingdom of Poland and the Kingdom of Lithuania, as well as... whatever I do with proto Belarus, less so.
German might even spread further if the peace lasts for a few decades (otl). There are already a few million 'Germans' living in Russia (who speak... Something which can be understood) . Combined with the economic boom Germany might experience in a few years... As you wrote, those border areas will be relatively 'germanized'.

Chapter Twenty-Six: The German Election of 1917

View attachment 602129.

Unless there’s some explanation I think this map have some problems.

1: The Danes winning in 7 (Kiel), the district have no native Danish population only some Danish working class people in Kiel, Neumünster and Rendsburg, so we would need a very good reason for the Danes to win there. District 2 is far more likely to go Danish with SPD being weakened in Flensburg the local working class (which was overwhelming Danish at the time) would vote for Danish parties rather then German ones.

2: The Hanover party winning in Hamburg and Southern Holstein, SPD should win in Hamburg no matter what. While the areas in Holstein would never vote for the Hanoverians.

3: The Bavarian Peasant Party winning outside Bavaria, not going to happen.

4:The Poldish majority areas in Posen and West Prussia would vote Zentrum if their own parties were banned.

If I were the Conservative Party of Germany, I'd pass some sort of worker's rights legislation in order to head off the social Democrats: perhaps improved working conditions (safety regulations), agricultural modernization initiatives, and housing/infrastructure initiatives concentrated to building up the conquered territories and allies. Also, they should push increased German settlement in the colonies due to economic opportunities. Some returning vets might relish the chance at an adventure there rather than stagnation at home

The next few updates will centre on the British Empire! We're looking at:
-Chapter 27: India
-Chapter 28: Ireland
-Chapter 29: Events in the UK itself.

Any other areas you'd like to see covered?

The major dominions would be another interesting to include if the British empire is the focus in the next few chapters and their perspectives and if there is any major changes in their national identity (especially Australia and New Zealand) as this was when ANZAC spirit and the like was being formed in the psyche.

Unless there’s some explanation I think this map have some problems.

1: The Danes winning in 7 (Kiel), the district have no native Danish population only some Danish working class people in Kiel, Neumünster and Rendsburg, so we would need a very good reason for the Danes to win there. District 2 is far more likely to go Danish with SPD being weakened in Flensburg the local working class (which was overwhelming Danish at the time) would vote for Danish parties rather then German ones.

2: The Hanover party winning in Hamburg and Southern Holstein, SPD should win in Hamburg no matter what. While the areas in Holstein would never vote for the Hanoverians.

3: The Bavarian Peasant Party winning outside Bavaria, not going to happen.

4:The Poldish majority areas in Posen and West Prussia would vote Zentrum if their own parties were banned.
#3 at least is OTL.
The others: you're right, but with all due respect I don't want to make the edits: that map took ages to make and I don't want to go through it now- perhaps later, though.

If I were the Conservative Party of Germany, I'd pass some sort of worker's rights legislation in order to head off the social Democrats: perhaps improved working conditions (safety regulations), agricultural modernization initiatives, and housing/infrastructure initiatives concentrated to building up the conquered territories and allies. Also, they should push increased German settlement in the colonies due to economic opportunities. Some returning vets might relish the chance at an adventure there rather than stagnation at home
Doesn't sound very 'conservative' to me... but you never know. Certainly the idea of pulling an Augustus and settling veterans in the colonies is a good one.
The major dominions would be another interesting to include if the British empire is the focus in the next few chapters and their perspectives and if there is any major changes in their national identity (especially Australia and New Zealand) as this was when ANZAC spirit and the like was being formed in the psyche.
Without Gallipoli, I'd think ANZAC nationalism is weaker than OTL, the dominions are probably ticked off at London for dragging them into a lost war.
Something interesting in regards to Japan... maybe they take over the Russian Far East due to the civil war
We'll look at all that once we get to the Russian Civil War... which will come, but there's a lot of stuff to get done with first

Doesn't sound very 'conservative' to me... but you never know. Certainly the idea of pulling an Augustus and settling veterans in the colonies is a good one.
Otto von Bismark, arch-conservative that he was, also made concessions to the German workers - concessions that had been requested by the nascent socialist movement. His goal was to undercut any revolutionary movements and weaken the socialists - clearly the system as-is could respond to the workers, there was no need for big changes, right?

It worked, and there's no reason that the conservative German aristocracy couldn't do it again. Give the socialists "enough" of the smaller requests, and you avoid having to make bigger changes.

With regard to Germany focusing a bit too much on their infantry and the Stormtrooper Corps...don't diss the infantry. Modern historians in hindsight actually regard the role of armor in the German victories in France in 1940 as exaggerated. While concentrating armored forces to spearhead breakthroughs was a revolutionary idea, the role of well-trained, well-equipped, and well-led infantry forces in actually exploiting any breakthroughs was equally as important.

AlexG

Banned
Otto von Bismark, arch-conservative that he was, also made concessions to the German workers - concessions that had been requested by the nascent socialist movement. His goal was to undercut any revolutionary movements and weaken the socialists - clearly the system as-is could respond to the workers, there was no need for big changes, right?

It worked, and there's no reason that the conservative German aristocracy couldn't do it again. Give the socialists "enough" of the smaller requests, and you avoid having to make bigger changes.
Putting people first is a non-partisan idea.

I think even Conservative German politicians would wise up to that, especially in light of the Second French Revolution.

bguy

Donor
Tank development will be considerably delayed ITTL. The Germans are more focused on infantry tactics and Sturmtruppen; their experience with these in the Danubian Civil War will only confirm them in this bias. No other country will have both the resources or the need to come up with tanks until the 1920s.

What about the US? They definitely have the resources to fund tank development, and I would think the rather poor performance of the US Army against the Mexicans outside of Vera Cruz would provide the motivation to try and develop a weapon capable of defeating trench lines. It should also be much easier to get defense funding out of Congress ITL than it was IOTL as with Germany ascendant in Europe and Japan on the march in Asia, the global situation seems much more threatening to the US than it was IOTL.

Tank development will be considerably delayed ITTL. The Germans are more focused on infantry tactics and Sturmtruppen; their experience with these in the Danubian Civil War will only confirm them in this bias. No other country will have both the resources or the need to come up with tanks until the 1920s
Actually among the CO, Austria had the best ore-1915 tank research program that went dead due to the war. Among the former CO Austria would be leading the charge in terms of tank development
Besides The UK, Russia also had research into the area. The ottomans had also showed a lot of interest into it because of the flat terrain if mesopotamia and the Levant.

*CP autocorrect hates me.

Last edited: