Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t the reason no one uses space guns to send stuff into orbit is due to the fact the gun tends to damage what’s being sent into orbit?
Project HARP did have issues with deformation of rocket boosters during test firings, but nevertheless demonstrated that complex payloads could survive being shot out of a 16-inch gun into the ionosphere, and was very close to launching orbital projectiles when funding was withdrawn.

Part of the reason US interest didn't resume was that conventional rocketry had already been proven as a space-launch technique with Sputnik five years before ground was broken on HARP. Since TTL doesn't have conventional rocketry...

Last edited:
“America will never sit idly by and allow space itself to be corrupted by Societism!” the President swore. “For the sake of all mankind we will- we must- halt Drakia’s illegal lunar imperialism before it comes to fruition! We must get to the Moon first!”

maxresdefault.jpg

A mural commemorating the "Lunar War" (2019)
Obviously a meme but it seemed worth it. Hot damn, they're fighting over the moon!

Isn’t the reason no one uses space guns to send stuff into orbit is due to the fact the gun tends to damage what’s being sent into orbit?
The stresses of the inital acceleration, air resistance and heating will do an absolute doozy on whatever you're trying to send up. Even the fastest rockets we have tend to be much slower building up acceleration but that also allows for more control and less stress

I wonder if in a bid to beat the Drakia getting a human into space, the US might cheat a little and use a rocketplane like the X-15. A drop launch craft could save on time, complexity and fuel and let them pull ahead just enough to thumb their nose at the Drakia while they work on a proper rocket

Last edited:
Kobold had been born under General Saxon's junta, and belonged to the last generation of Drakians in power who had not been raised in the Agoge. As such he was a loyalist but not a fanatic, he understood how badly the Empire had suffered in the Great Wars and that it needed a period of peace to recover, retrench, and prepare before it could afford to resume its wars of conquest.
Hmm, with such an ethos, he's able to make more clear-eyed and practical decisions when it comes to leading Drakia, but I think there will come a time when he'll be forced to make a dangerously rash decision because he'd be at risk of getting couped by the Agoge clique if he doesn't bend to their hardliner demands. That's the risk of trying to indoctrinate your citizens to enforce your rule; eventually, their ideological zeal will overtake your own priorities.
(There is one country in the late ‘60s putting resources into “impractical pure science” that is currently making great strides towards the creation of an atomic bomb, but I’m getting ahead of myself)
It's gonna be a dark horse contender like China, I can feel it...
The first electronic computers had appeared in the 1910s in Europe, the first computer networks emerged in the 1930s in commercial use, and the Great Wars saw considerable advancement in computer networking technologies such as packet switching for increasingly large military computer networks designed to facilitate communication between radar stations, military and civil authorities, and public health facilities. The first computer network to span the North American continent was the AWS Network of the American Weather Service that connected the AWS’ sixteen regional forecast offices and first came online in 1948. The first mini-computers were invented in 1940, and while the first microprocessor was created in 1952 it was these machines that formed the basis of the Pan-American Computer Network that integrated the major military, government, and academic computer networks of the United States in 1955. The publicly-funded nature of this system initially prevented commercial use, but private computer networks were growing rapidly and the foundations of the Common Network (Comnet) had been laid.
This is huge, the consequences of having the Alliance for Demcracy interconnected at such an early stage can only help their efforts, as well as changing cultural spread in general. By the time the Internet became really widespread in OTL, the Soviet Union wasn't a threat to American hegemony, so having the Drakian Empire as a major threat to global safety would be a big unifying factor in this new generation's psyche once social media develops. I can also see it helping the dormant nationalist movements in the United States (I still remember that one chapter with the indigenous person who went to the city in Old Mexico and saw a protest there, would love an update in that vein at some point). And I can already picture the casette futurist aesthetic this technological development would create...

As the name implies, "casette futurism" focuses on a retro-futuristic aesthetic which draws from the technology of the 70s and 80s.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Rows and rows of blocky machines.
203a6f218e511eefc91ef53d2a04d2f1.jpg

The aesthetic has been portrayed often in media, with Alien: Isolation being one outstanding example.
casette futurism alien isolation.jpg

xsampa

Banned
Since the Internet and programming languages are English/Latin Alphabet centered, is there a convenient romanization for Hindi?

Free China still(probably) has the largest population in the world and a solid industrial base to start with. Not exactly dark horse material.

But they do sound like the type to invest in fundamental research for its own sake.

Now that the Drakians have that audacity to make such huge guns and shells work accurately, they must have the capability to bomb everywhere right now without the use of a vulnerable air platform. Now, it may prove detrimental on their part once rocketry and stealth technology make for badder payloads and more reliable platforms respectively, but those cannons must have given them some sense of a strategic edge for a short time, at least on the part on demolishing permanent fortifications. This will only push back space age by some few good years, however.
Chinese nukes confirmed?
China is also the best guess for such a rapid development of theoretical physics, since that is the only country that would be willing enough to dabble in more esoteric ideas, given their Situationist attitude. China is also far from being a dark horse considering their certainly functional industry (development and recovery must have been comparable to post-war Japan in the late 50's and 60's).
This is huge, the consequences of having the Alliance for Demcracy interconnected at such an early stage can only help their efforts, as well as changing cultural spread in general. By the time the Internet became really widespread in OTL, the Soviet Union wasn't a threat to American hegemony, so having the Drakian Empire as a major threat to global safety would be a big unifying factor in this new generation's psyche once social media develops. I can also see it helping the dormant nationalist movements in the United States (I still remember that one chapter with the indigenous person who went to the city in Old Mexico and saw a protest there, would love an update in that vein at some point). And I can already picture the casette futurist aesthetic this technological development would create...
I guess that the world will also leave behind that aesthetic quite quickly in favor of streamlining and keyboards, even touchscreens. By the 80's, it would certainly be, but it also depends on the aim that TTL's Moore's law would give. Would the governments waste so much money on space guns and military expenditure that it would slow down research, or would they also allocate more resources to hasten its development, especially once they realize the potential of internet?

Anyways, we're also realizing some aspects of a cyberpunk culture ourselves IOTL. In case of gaudy (and probably overfunded ;)) holographic presentations, it would be very much appreciated if a headquarters would present such information this way:
eva1.jpg

Of course, it won't have the analog sticks, as the Chief of Staff should be able to easily sift through information to properly observe the breadth of the field. Just don't ask the contractors involved in developing such an expensive operating system, as it is basically a brainchild of his colleague back in his university days at the University of New York.
Since the Internet and programming languages are English/Latin Alphabet centered, is there a convenient romanization for Hindi?
Well, the languages of most prominent powers like China, Japan, and India may be worth to do a localization over. American Spanish speakers would also certainly include their language in the package. Irish developers would also be incredibly privileged in developing localization for themselves. I dunno for the Pan-Europeans; the French, fascinated with the Situationist hoo-hah, may find time for it. The Germans and Italians could too, but mostly for the sake of their military.

Edit: The exhausting nature of logographic writing in the East may also delay the commercial and personal adoption of computerization in the region, like how it did in Japan in the 90's and early 2000's.

It's sad that there's not so much of a way in the "West" ITTL, considering that being devastated and surrounded by the Societists in all sides won't help them at all in leveraging themselves in the world stage.
View attachment 584314
Polemarch Ulysses Kobold announces to the world his intentions to annex the Moon (1958, colorized)
Well, there are already color-capable cameras since the 50's.

Last but not the least, how does the Global Warming progress ITTL? All these extra industrialization won't help reducing carbon emissions, and we all had so much.. foresight on the pain it would cause right now.

Last edited:
Last but not the least, how does the Global Warming progress ITTL? All these extra industrialization won't help reducing carbon emissions, and we all had so much.. foresight on the pain it would cause right now.
You know, I wonder if environmental warfare would be more of a thing, with both tactical (slash & burn, flooding, etc.) and strategic (deforestation, desertification, raising sea levels). Also which MOS would that be? I feel like the engineers would get saddled with the role, though the chem corps would handle some of the deforestation and bio shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.