The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

vishnu

Banned
They're too popular to destroy, but there's a lot of chest-beating over how they've 'taken' Muslim property. Many Hindu extremists now literally believe they are the one true religion because they've successfully 'beaten back Islam'. Though the Congress is still basically secular, the extremists are far more powerful than they were OTL.
Congress secularism ended when they promoted family rule. They are as secular as any conniving politician you find on the street. They are secular when it is popular and anti secular when its not needed.

vishnu

Banned
They're too popular to destroy, but there's a lot of chest-beating over how they've 'taken' Muslim property. Many Hindu extremists now literally believe they are the one true religion because they've successfully 'beaten back Islam'. Though the Congress is still basically secular, the extremists are far more powerful than they were OTL.
Hindus are not the only success story in that regard. Israel Jews are pretty much a success story in this TL as well as in our present TL.

Personally I would say a multipolar world is not necessarily a bad thing and a fair success. Despite all odds the Concert of Europe lasted a century and there is no need to think, once the Chinese war will end, that a period of generalized stabilization will come. We know there would be a second Arabian war, but otherwise the late 50's and the 60's should be a period of peace.

The Enemy of the World
Hello all, this will be my last update until about the middle to end of September (Actuarial tests are not nice). Nevertheless, I thought I would do my best to leave you for a while by wrapping up the Chinese War and giving the result of the 1952 election. You may have a few posts come in from other authors which I've approved but that's about it for a while. I hope you understand and hope you'll still be here when I get back

The Enemy of the World

‘The War of Dragons: China 1948-1953’ by Wu Long

Mao’s mental state had deteriorated greatly after the Qingming and Shanghai disasters, which destroyed the fighting capacity of both the Red Guards and PLA together. His failure to suppress the rebellion in Xinjiang was the final straw that convinced General Lin Biao that Mao was out of control and that he had to be stopped before every Communist in China was lined up against a wall by Chiang. He had little trouble finding allies. After all, Mao’s once overwhelming popularity had evaporated after the failed agricultural and industrial policies had created famine in China, not to mention his inane handling of the tactical situation. Added to this, his erratic behavior had grown increasingly bizarre, such as sleeping with young (often underage) virgins to ‘restore his youth and mental processes’. Rumours of these acts had already begun spreading around Beijing and were impossible to suppress. By now, his enemy list had grown to gigantic proportions – and closer to home than he thought. Mao’s own wife, Jiang Qing, had decided that Mao was ‘only going to degrade his legacy by living on’. The two communicated together, with Jiang being an important party secretary who knew who was where and at what time – this information would soon prove valuable.

What they did not expect was to be contacted by Soviet agents on October 7th 1952. They were informed by the Soviet agents that ‘Stalin’ (actually the Troika) had come to believe that continuing the war was suicidal for both Russia and Communist China. Unfortunately, as Mao had repeatedly sworn that he would never stop fighting ‘until either every reactionary or every Communist in China is dead’, the Soviets knew Mao would never consent to any peace settlement – especially not in his deteriorating mental state. For that reason, the Troika had concluded that Mao ‘would be neutralized and removed from power’. Mao had planned a trip on October 14th in preparation of spending time there during the celebration of the October Revolution. The Soviets asked when the earliest time was the Biao could launch a coup – Biao replied that the soldiers were so desperate to kill Mao for his stupidity that ‘I could launch one yesterday’. Indeed, Biao had little trouble convincing the rest of the PLA leadership to back him – they had grown so frustrated with Mao’s commands that they were certain that in one more year Chiang’s troops would be at the Korean border. Having Mao’s own wife at hand to convince people to turn against their leader was notable encouragement. To add to the imminent carnage, Soviet agents were placed around the city close to where major members of the Communist Party were.

On October 14th, Mao landed in Moscow, famously looking glum and angry for the cameras the moment he saw that Stalin personally was not greeting him on the runway and that it was ‘only’ Molotov. Molotov would say that he considered calling the coup early because he couldn’t stand to be in the room with Mao. When Mao arrived at the Kremlin, he did little to amuse his hosts. He angrily demanded more men and supplies as if he was the superior power, and not a dependent, bombed and starved vassal. He accused the Soviets of undermining Communism, being the cause of his failures in the Qingming and Shanghai debacles and even started to bring up the border disputes in the Ussuri River region. Khrushchev joked to Molotov “is it too late to support Chiang?” All the while, of course, Mao demanded to see Stalin but was informed that he was away on ‘highly sensitive business’, which made Mao even angrier as he demanded to know who or what was more important than ‘the leader of China’. With remarkable patience, the Troika waited until October 16th.

On the night of October 16th, NKVD agents grabbed Mao from his bed. They then put a bag on his head and put him into a car to an undisclosed location. Mao was certain that he was about to die … but it didn’t happen. He was simply thrown into an abandoned warehouse in the middle of nowhere, minded day and night by an entire NKVD squad to make sure he wasn’t going anywhere. It was a better fate than what befell Mao’s compatriots in China. Zhou Enali was shot to death in broad daylight in the streets of Beijing. Liu Shaoqi was mauled to death by excited crowds when trying to escape the PLA troops coming after him – the crowd was excited that people were getting rid of the old regime, so hated had it become. Finance Minister Deng Xiaoping had predicted what was coming and was found dead in his room by gunshot with a suicide note by the time the PLA troops had broken in. All across Beijing, the leadership of the Communist Party was mercilessly purged and the PLA (and Soviets) took their places. On the night of October 17th, Jiang would deliver a radio broadcast to explain that Mao had failed in his duties ‘as a leader, and indeed as a husband’. She announced that she would ‘bring peace to China’ and ‘not bring her to national ruin and humiliation’. In her most biting denunciation, she would declare Mao ‘The Enemy of the World’. She triumphantly announced that the Soviets had recognised her as the legitimate ruler of China, and that they had gone so far as to arrest Mao. Mao’s popularity had fallen so astronomically low that on some parts of the front, Communist and KMT troops made temporary truces just to celebrate together. The results of the first few days of the Eastern Bloc's only female dictator's rule were looking strong.

It had been decided that Mao’s wife would make the best choice of leader, the Chinese being historically well-adjusted to female leaders in the past. The reasons were that the military brass was likewise hated for their role in the war, while Jiang was considered clean in that respect. At the same time, many sympathized with her given the multiple rumours about Mao, and many believed she would be a fair ruler if given the chance. Of course, the new North China would be even more subservient to the Soviets than before, but most were desperate for any change that could mean the coming of peace and rice. Mao himself was brought to the fires of hell in fury, denouncing his wife, Chiang, the Soviets, Americans, Jews, Europeans, Capitalists and various other parties in no clear order. He still had the gall to laugh at his captors and demand to know why he hadn’t been killed yet - saying the reason they didn’t was because ‘every man in China would march northward in fury at knowing the Soviets killed the great Mao Zedong!’ Of course, that wasn’t the reason. When he did learn the reason, it finally sobered his pride. He was informed that to sweeten the deal with the West, which the Soviets were unsure could be made, he would be handed over to Chiang for trial in the South.

On October 19th, Jiang contacted the Swiss Embassy through Seoul, stating that she wanted a ceasefire. Word was sent to the West quickly. As most Westerners were surprised by the coup and suspected something may have been happening, they agreed to relent for a few days so they could work out what was going on. Many hoped and prayed that it meant the war was finally coming to an end. On October 20th, the guns across China fell silent for what seemed to be the first time in a country that had been beset with Civil War, Japanese invasion and now a proxy battle between the greatest forces on Earth. In the ‘Chinese War’ phase, it is estimated that some seventy million died due to the war from when Mao invaded south until the Pro-Soviet coup brought the war to an end. Three hundred thousand of those were Americans. Those numbers do not include the Indochina War or the Indian-Civil War.

‘Patton: The Man’ by George Wallaby

Robinson’s murder was met with outrage and disgust across the entirety of America, and indeed the world. “He fought for us in China,” said one New York Times extract, “only for the very Americans he fought for to murder him like a dog.” Protests and vigils for Robinson occurred among all sides in America – even the nascent black community in Britain organised a protest at the American embassy demanding an end to the system Robinson had fought to end. Even Mussolini went as far to hold a moment’s silence for Robinson in Rome, “in memory of a great warrior.” The attention of the world was being swung back constantly with events in China, but this was an act that would not soon be forgotten. By now, unprecedented scrutiny had fallen upon the Jim Crow system which Robinson had fought. Political campaigning from all major parties had stopped in respect of Robinson. Freedom Party officials raced to condemn the Klan, but their reputational damage had already been inflicted. Attempts by the Freedom Party to campaign anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line were met with eggs and scorn. This was not helped by Bull Connor’s infamous botched condemnation of the event, saying “It’s common sense among all good Southerners: You don’t lynch the wrong negro.” The seeming trivialization of lynching and Robinson’s murder led to Joseph McCarthy to launch an infamously scathing attack on the Freedom Party members of Congress, accusing them of being ‘the political arm of the Ku Klux Klan, for whom the blood of that great American is on all their hands.’ McCarthy had began to fall into irrelevance as the Democrats had been bludgeoned to death beneath his assaults, and his use of bashing the Freedom Party in the same way became a ticket to a revival of his political fortunes, which would pay dividends in the next Congress.

But perhaps the most telling condemnation came straight from the White House itself. To the shock of the entire political establishment, President Patton would attend the service, as well as multiple leading military officials. Robinson’s funeral would be held in Cairo, Georgia where he was born and died, and would be held on October 18th. Even word of the goings on in China did not shake Patton from attending. Some Blacks from as far as California had travelled by (often in the back of) train to attend the funeral, whose numbers began sprawling to totally unexpected size. It is estimated that some eighty thousand people comprised the crowds, which made security a nightmare for the President but he demanded the service continue on time. When the eulogies were read, Robinson’s wife and fellow servicemen he saved (who were often white and subsequently shunned by Southern society for attending a black funeral) gave their telling. But it was when General turned President Patton took the podium that history was made. Patton talked about how he had gotten to know Robinson and the time they had spent together. Then he delivered the words that electrified the nation:

“I’ve fought Nazis, and I’ve fought Communists. Now it’s time to fight the elephant in the room. The monster lurking right in America. The monster of racial hatred and oppression. I’m ashamed of how little I’ve done about it before … and as part of my apology to Jackie Robinson, to his family, for not doing as much as I could … I make this solemn oath, and I apologise to the Preacher if it’s not suitably Christ-like enough: By the time I leave office, the only place you’ll see people with a burning cross and white hood is in Hell.”

Patton’s announcement was met with wild ovation from the congregation, which grew to a roar when word of what he said reached outside. Patton’s eulogy was sent with all the enthusiasm of the Emancipation Proclamation among Black America, read excitedly everywhere from Harlem to Atlanta. William DuBois would describe Patton as, “the unlikeliest deliverer we’ve ever had.” One Southern Black Preacher by the name of Martin L. King would call Patton “a messenger of God.” Patton had gone from at best a fiure of indifference in black communities in America to the next Lincoln almost overnight. While the strangness of cheering an elderly, Conservative, white, Southern man with a history of cringeworthy racial jokes was not lost on anyone, here finally stood a man who would not only take on the Klan, but perhaps the whole of Jim Crow itself.

When it came to the investigation, the FBI flooded the area with so many troops that some Klan divisions outright fled town for fear of the numbers for a mass roundup. Though Hoover was unenthusiastic about Patton’s zeal to defeat racist politics in the South, even he was outraged that the Klan could murder a Medal of Honor winner. For that reason, he was just as enthusiastic about finding and bringing Robinson’s murderers to justice. Finally, all four were discovered lying low in Atlanta, sharing an apartment and waiting for the event to blow over. The information had been found by the FBI, working together with local law enforcement. On the night of October 24th, FBI agents knocked on the door of the apartment, only to find that the four had bailed. A city-wide manhunt began, finally culminating in the four being intercepted on a train to Florida. Another chase and shootout began, culminating in all four members being shot dead, as well as two FBI members. The nation alternatively rejoiced at the deaths of the murderers and mourned the agents … but questions were quickly raised about how the four men knew to run. When the answers were revealed in the coming months, it would not paint a positive picture of Southern law enforcement.

Amidst the bedlam across the nation and feeling that the War in China had been ‘won’, Patton was ensured of winning a blowout election result. Patton won 64% of the vote, including big downticket wins in Virginia, Florida and Texas and other areas in the south that had a growing level of cosmopolitanism (or weren’t as deeply embedded in Confederate mythology). Many political observers were convinced that Connor had blown his chance of second place by his comments on lynching and the vibe crossing the nation. They were sorely mistaken. Connor scored an impressive (for the time and circumstance) 22% of the vote, leaving Humphrey to flop on 14% (and only Minnesota in terms of the electoral college). Political observers were stumped as to what happened. That was when the awful truth became clear. Patton’s turn to a more actively anti-Jim Crow stance had devoured the Democrat vote as most social liberals now felt their votes were more effective in lending support to Patton’s crusade. Meanwhile, Patton’s words had terrified white moderates in the South of a quick and chaotic end to segregation. Thus, even the clumsy Bull Connor was a better choice than the President. With that, the battle-lines of the new America had been drawn up. The next four years would be just as contentious as Wallace’s final four.

Last edited:
One of the few somewhat major Communists spared during the cull. But he won't be allowed near a position of real power. The government of the new PRC is Jiang backed by a desperate PLA and almost as desperate USSR.
Due to how he has little popular support as a "has been" figure?

Excellent chapter there @Sorairo!

Glad China is dealt with. The Fallout will be decades in the making. What's the rough ceasefire line please?

I see a Second Reconstruction coming.

This Crusade will either get Patton added to Mount Rushmore, or hated across the whole country given racism is not just a Southern problem.

Wonder if he will remember the Native Americans in his Epic Quest?

Joseph McCarthy to launch an infamously scathing attack on the Freedom Party members of Congress, accusing them of being ‘the political arm of the Ku Klux Klan, for whom the blood of that great American is on all their hands.’ McCarthy had began to fall into irrelevance as the Democrats had been bludgeoned to death beneath his assaults, and his use of bashing the Freedom Party in the same way became a ticket to a revival of his political fortunes, which would pay dividends in the next Congress.

This is one of the things McCarthy has said in any TL that I can get behind; I like this McCarthy (though not for long, methinks, given that he was his own worst enemy. IMO, he was more right than wrong about the Communists, but he did the most harm to his own cause in the end)...

This is one of the things McCarthy has said in any TL that I can get behind; I like this McCarthy (though not for long, methinks, given that he was his own worst enemy. IMO, he was more right than wrong about the Communists, but he did the most harm to his own cause in the end)...
I mean TNO McCarthy started the Grey Scare that targetted Fascists...

The war is coming to a close is well and good, but how long the ceasefire would hold?

I am expecting anti-communist firebrands to hold their fire when bills and casualty reports from Chinese campaign start flooding in. They don't want to stop, but now is the time to take stock of the situation. And the war against segregations might provide them the outlet in the meantime.

How long before the future POTUS get to fly to the beach resort on the Black Sea for a cup of sbiten with the Russian president and cut some deals? Would the relation ever become less frosty enough to do so?
That and Jiang doesn't want anyone with a backbone inside the Communist Party to challenge her.
You know that won't last right? Jiang wasn't a competent manager IOTL and I doubt she will be here.
Now I wonder who would be Xi Jin Ping's mentor ITTL if he has any.

On unrelate stuff, Postwar Reconstruction was the time when the instant ramen was born. Had Italian food merchant came up with something that is lightweight, ready to eat right out of the package just add water, and can be stored for at least a year where refrigeration is a luxury? Had they came up with it around the same time Ando introduced Chikin Ramen in 1958?

Well at least China will have some breath. Even if would now stand in division... Korea thanks everyone for the outcome, her path to regional power ascension looks quite secured now. They are in good ties with Moscow, the PRC is humbled. And this will bring Japan even more on pro-US positions.

At the same time, the Americans lost so many men... Not only on this war. But at least, the KKK is starting to go down! And civil rights would advance under the GOP's wing. I wonder how the 1960’s Republicans will look.