Status
Not open for further replies.

ST15RM

Banned
Since Avicii is, well dead, Ashley can you make a wikibox for him?

also I wanna know what Alex Jones is in this TL(Mods if this counts as current politics I will remove this part of the post)

VT45

Banned
By the way, I can't say I approve of your let's play showing Britain going to war with Portugal. You just flushed a 500 year old alliance down the drain you monster! :( :p

Don't forget:

* Mass genocidal South Africa which makes OTL Rwanda look like a day in the park
* The totalitarian regime in israel that is best friends with south africa.
* The constant terrorism in India, and the brutal repression of the Islamic activists who suffer under a Hindu nationalist government
* The blight of colonialism still strong and alive elsewhere in Africa
* The culture of Cuba stamped out of existence and replaced by America, Inc.
* Panama, Suez Canal owned by foreign powers
* Communism is alive and well in the Soviet Union, as nationalists are brutally suppressed
* European integration and cooperation is decades behind
* Fascism and Nazism is a legitimate political ideology
* Poverty still reigns in many portions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia
* On average, it is more expensive to live in the West TTL than OTL. Very little cheap outsourcing means manufacturing remains in the west, but at a much higher labour cost, meaning goods are more expensive. Luxuries are more rare, TVs are not as big, computers not as cheap, ect.
* Indonesia is a mess
* Don't get me started on race relations in Australia

My goal was never to make a utopia, Our Fair Country has it's own share of doom and gloom, just like the real world. When I get in a grumpy mood I should write more about the negative parts of the world.

How's Italy doing? The United Kingdom had a hand in the unification of the peninsula, mostly because they wanted Sicily's sulphur and didn't like how close the Two Sicilies were to Russia, and in a TL whose premise is a stronger Commonwealth the butterflies surely reached the Mediterranean as well.

Deleted member 82792

Is Hawaii part of the U.S. or independent? I'm asking because I'll be going there in a few days.

Deleted member 82792

Nu13TwU.png
Can you please expand on Hawaii's history and current culture?

Absolutely brilliant world you've got here, I can't imagine putting the amount of effort you have into fleshing out every detail and even making TV clips. Coincidentally, when I first stumbled upon this a few weeks ago, I was about to embark on a road trip along the length of your New England, from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Boston. Being Nova Scotian myself, I'm curious about some more details on the role NS has played, especially in light of your latest PM being the intrepid speaker from down the way:
  • Did Peter MacKay get up to anything in New England's Conservative party?
  • What about Robert Borden, around the WWI (or Great War as it were) era? On that note, was there any kind of conscription crisis-type event between British and French New Englanders?
  • Again in that era, was there a Halifax Explosion? If so, is any New England MP currently criticizing a late night host for making jokes about it like our latest inept provincial government is IRL?
  • Going back even further, what about Charles Tupper?
  • Lastly regarding NS, would you be able to point me to the part in the greater "Our Fair Country" history that presumably deals with how and why les Acadiens were not expelled, hence leading to the greater francophone population in NE?
As for the rest of the country:
  • Since Justin Trudeau is popping up in NE's govt you mentioned that his family had immigrated from Quebec around the depression. Did PET get up to anything in politics in NE then? Partisanship aside, I can't imagine Justin becoming an MP without his father's reputation, considering his own background.
  • With JFK being lucky enough to avoid tragedy, what of RFK and JFK Jr? And for that matter, what of Joe Kennedy Jr? Without WWII wouldn't he have survived to become the golden boy of the Kennedys?
  • What earned George Bush Sr the rare achievement among NE PMs of a knighthood?
I know I asked a lot of questions so by all means take your time if you're able to answer them! I'd love to see how deep this lore truly goes.

Kingdom of Hawai'i
Can you please expand on Hawaii's history and current culture?

gxv0Gkq.png

The Kingdom of Hawai'i is an independent nation in the Pacific Ocean, and the northernmost nation that is located in Polynesia. The Kingdom was first formed in 1795 under Kamehameha the Great, who is considered the founder of the modern Hawaiian state. During this time, he forged the Unification of Hawai'i, a civil war which engulfed the islands and was not officially declared over until the reign of King Kamehameha III with the final dissenters on the island of Lanai submitting to government control. Despite this, Kamehameha I is considered to have unified the islands, given it a structured legal code, codified its rules and laws, and established a recognised government. In 1843, the United Kingdom briefly occupied the islands under the pretenses of the rights of British citizens being abridged, but withdrew after six months. This was followed with a joint Franco-British declaration of the Kingdom of Hawai'i's sovereignty, where they pledged to protect the Kingdom from attacks, and would respect its independence. Since the Great Pacific War, Hawai'i has not been engaged in any international military actions, and does not maintain a standing army.

The Kingdom's current Constitution was ratified in 1924, and adopted on the first of January 1925. It came after the Planters Rebellion of the 1910s, which saw white American farmers attempt to overthrow the monarchy and install their own republic. The Kingdom's army was able to win over the Americans, who had requested help from the United States, but the British intervention quickly stymied any revolutionary activity. As a result, the Hawaiians granted the United Kingdom an extended lease on the naval station they had operated since the 1880s in Puʻuloa Harbour. With the British taking a larger role in Hawaiian politics, the Liberal Revolution saw increased agitation against the ruling National Party, and thousands advocating to end the monarch's absolute power. The constitution that resulted transformed Hawai'i into a constitutional monarchy modelled after the United Kingdom.

Hawaiian nationalists long held the United Kingdom in contempt for their ownership of Puʻuloa Harbour, and Puʻuloa City which had grown up around it. From the 1940s until the 1997 Handover of Puʻuloa, Hawaiian politics was centred around the issue of the country's relationship with the United Kingdom. When official control of the territory returned to Hawai'i, the Kingdom signed the Anglo-Hawaiian Accords, which granted the British the right to use Puʻuloa Harbour and to station both ships and men there, with the express clause added that Hawai'i could request they be removed. The measure also ensured that Hawaiian law, not British law, would apply in Puʻuloa.

The reigning monarch of Hawai'i is Queen Owana of the House of La'anui. She has been Hawai'i's monarch for thirty years, taking over after the death of her mother, Queen Kalokuokamaile. Like all Hawaiian monarchs, she lives in ʻIolani Palace and performs her mostly ceremonial duties on a daily basis. The power of the executive is therefore exercised through the office of the Prime Minister of Hawai'i. At present, Duke Aiona of the Traditional Party serves in this position.

Prime Minister Aiona is currently serving in his second mandate, after he led the Traditional Party to a victory in the
Hawai'i general election, 2015. He defeated the popular Kaiali'i Kahele, who mounted what many Hawaiians (depending on their political orientation) either the most forceful or the most disgraceful campaign in recent memory. As part of his pitch to the people of Hawai'i, Kahele attempted to highlight the personal failures of the Prime Minister, and attempted to link many of the ills facing Hawai'i as being a result of his leadership. This method was highly unusual in Hawai'ian politics, as the messaging in recent years had always been positive and seeking to build up Hawai'i, not attack others for the positions they held and the actions they took. Kahele even attempted to link the Prime Minister to the British, claiming he was an agent of the United Kingdom sent to give power to the white minority (most of whom lived in Puʻuloa City) and would place whites and Japanese before native Hawaiians.

While his aggressive line of attacks was able to win him votes in most of the urban centres, the Liberals would go on to a landslide defeat in western Oahu, winning only 3 constituencies, down from the seven they held previously. It was in the rural constituencies that the Traditionalists also picked up seats, as these were areas where minorities had a strong presence and most polls indicated they went for the Traditionalists by 95-5 margins, nearly shutting out the Liberals from the island of Hawai'i and Maui. The Reform Party under Maluani Akanu won a single seat, its first in over two decades, on the promise to fight for complete equality for all Hawaiians, regardless of their racial background, but also for the abolishment of the monarchy.

bwQk5Vf.png

Last edited:
Given how much more expensive goods are, I'm guessing that mechanization technology such as automization is going to be a big hope for the future. Also, which stores differ from OTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.