Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 105545

@Kanan

If this world is really British Dominated and the U.S.A. didn't take over Hawai'i, shouldn't it be called The Sandwich Islands?

Deleted member 105545

Wouldn't the Hawaiians still call their homeland Hawaii? It's not like they were a colony or anything.
I mean, I guess, but Germany was never a colony of an english-speaking nation, so why not call it Deutschland?

It should be a English Endonym.

I mean, I guess, but Germany was never a colony of an english-speaking nation, so why not call it Deutschland?

It should be a English Endonym.
True, but there's a much longer history behind the names of Germany. I think the world would just find it easier to call Hawaii by Hawaii. The Sandwich Islands could be a popular alternative name for the Hawaiian Archipelago, however, I doubt that anyone calls the nation of Hawaii that.

Deleted member 105545

True, but there's a much longer history behind the names of Germany. I think the world would just find it easier to call Hawaii by Hawaii. The Sandwich Islands could be a popular alternative name for the Hawaiian Archipelago, however, I doubt that anyone calls the nation of Hawaii that.
Maybe have it be a "Holland" thing?

Because even though that's not the name of The Netherlands, people in America still call it that for some reason

The islands themselves are known internationally as the Sandwich Islands, but the country isn't known as "The Kingdom of the Sandwich Islands" because it's the Kingdom of Hawai'i.

Furthermore, the world isn't British dominated. It may seem that way because we have such a large focus on looking at the Commonwealth as well as the fact the timeline is centred around New England. The truth of the matter is the Commonwealth is the weakest superpower. The Soviet Union and United States are still stronger. The British still rule the seas, and America allows it not because it can't compete, but because Britain is a friendly nation and it doesn't cost the Americans anything for Britannia to rule the waves. The British also no longer even have any nuclear weapons, both the USSR and USA still do (but they are being decommissioned). Britain's global military projection is also pretty weak. In terms of economies, the combined GDP of the Commonwealth (8.4 trillion) is bigger than the Soviet Union's (6.6 trillion), but half that of the United States (16.5 trillion).

The Commonwealth is closer to the Soviet Union GDP/c wise than the United States.

Soviet Union: $21,417 GDP/c | 309,713,452 Population
Commonwealth: $36,583 | 229,919,726 Population
United States: $55,411 GDP/c | 297,728,998 Population

The Commonwealth also has the disadvantage of being 39 countries instead of 1, which both the Soviet Union and United States enjoy. Far from being a world where everyone takes a scone with their afternoon tea before retiring to a meal of bangers and mash, it's more of a world where Britain is still a relevant international player and not derided as that irrelevant cropping of foggy islands.

COMMONWEALTH INTENSIFIES

I listened to this all the way through and couldn't help but laughing manically.

These were all the rage at one point in time. Might as well make one now that the train left the station and is already halfway to Calgary.

SpSKii5.png

@Kanan, i'll have you a question.

• Is Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Wilmington and even other bridges has border checkpoints? (With pictures)
  • Infobox about New York City
  • How about status of the Philippines (Infobox)
  • How many miles were New Englanders from Long Island view Manhattan even night (with pictures)
  • How about Human Development Index list? (infobox), i see that New England and Canada are closer to number 1 highest HDI
  • Is the Twin Towers of World Trade Center still exist?

This timeline is legitimately one of the most difficult ever to comment on because the sheer amount of content you produce in such quality makes it hard to keep up with more than just "wow!" or "great!". So I guess I would ask if there are really any interesting state parties in the United States besides just National and Social Labour. Parties like the Democratic-Farmer-Labor in Minnesota or Democratic-Nonpartisan League in North Dakota or Working Families in New York or Vermont Progressive Party in Vermont that have had some real successes as parties that exist somewhat outside the general binary?

Last edited:
This timeline is legitimately one of the most difficult ever to comment on because the sheer amount of content you produce in such quality makes it hard to keep up with more than just "wow!" or "great!". So I guess I would ask if there are really any interesting state parties in the United States besides just National and Social Labour. Parties like the Democratic-Farmer-Labor in Minnesota or Democratic-Nonpartisan League in North Dakota or Working Families in New York or Vermont Progressive Party in Vermont that have had some real successes as parties that exist somewhat outside the general binary?

Daww, thank you! <3 I love hearing things like that. It makes my work worth it!

Yeah, actually. Despite the whole "we will spear you if you look at an african-american the wrong way," the Democratic Party still exists in the South and has won elections as recently as the 1980s. They are mostly a state-level party competing for legislative seats. While Reconstruction was pretty thorough, freedom of speech still exists, so they can spout off whatever garbage they want and they still get elected. It's just harder for them to do so because African-Americans are, as a whole, of a much higher socio-economic status than OTL and there really wasn't a wave of migration out of the South to the North.

This does, unfortunately, mean that racism is alive and well in the North, where the typical state resembles the demographics of Vermont (~98% white) while a state like Tennessee has an African-American population of around 50%.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan all have their own progressive streaks as well. The Progressive Party, despite being subsumed into Social-Labor, still competes in these states under their old name. For all intents and purposes on the federal level, however, they caucus with Social-Labor.

I guess you could count it, but the New England Party exists in upstate New York, and it advocates for several counties to break away from New York and join New England, either Massachusetts Bay or Adirondack. They've won elections to the state house a few times.

Why Does it shit on the French so much x'D

While around 1/3rd of New England speaks French as a native language, French and Quebecois immigrants who live in southern New England speak very good English and use it daily. This really only leaves the Acadians as those who do not really speak English, and furthermore they make up 80% of New England's rural population, Anglophones live mainly in suburbs and the cities. Think of the "dumb Redneck" trope or an Australian bogan. This is what many people see of the rural Acadians. Incredibly poor, incredibly reactionary, dumb idiots hiding in the forests and the mountains. Acadians only amount of ~15% of the population anyway so it's an easy target to pick on. French and Quebec immigrants go out of their way to not seem Acadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.