Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on page 56, but what happens to the following series:

Langrisser. Warsong was before the PoD and would have come out in North America. I can see the changing landscape allowing for Der Langrisser to make it to the West and succeed like gangbusters on the SNES CD
Uncharted Waters: Maybe some bonus characters for SNES CD New Horizons?
Shining Force: Shining Force 3 release complete in the West and more strategy RPGs in the series being made? Are the Shining series and Landstalker butterflied away?
Langrisser as you Say was POD, so safe of major butterflies for now...but i think only slowly will rise but never break in the west...when II might not get localize as late Genesis was focus in Action Games, i think III and other Saturn games will get localize but fly under radar, unable to put a dent to fire emblem, heck both Shining and Even Sakura Taisen Would be Far More popular in USA-West... that is things that tend to happen, but Grownlanser... in the Katana migth get the big chance to strike gold....
Shining Force did get more popular and III was properly Released that Avoid Much of the later Bad Blood Camelot and Sega have, when Camelot did goes multiplatform, they will continue the Shining Series with Sega, when Shining is popular, still lack behing Fire emblem who being properly localize and threated much early as a flagship series did helped the two strategy games, but unlike Shining, Langrisser did not manage to break the niche barrier into something more of cult....
Uncharted Waters did Benefit SNES-CD was better and yeah the SNES-CD version was with extra goodies and helped sales, but still pretty niche as mostly Koei games, Koei geep support in west but besides some games, have not the same sucess as other companies...

Thanks for the question, if you've more Queries, don't doubt in ask about those.

Just a nitpick, but didn't Phantasy Star 2 come out in 1989 in North America? Can't be a top game of the 1990s.

Nope, March 1989 in Japan, Jan. 1990 in North America.
and the game like PS3 was mostly done pre-pod So Those are butterfly safe but when 2 did keep otl positive sales from original 3 was like otl too... but ittl PS4 was more Popular thanks mega-charger bonus and Sega keep the franchise in saturn with big plans for online and 7 in katana So i invite to read massive multiplayer

Famitsu: Wasn't Telenet taking a big risk on the Phantasia Project?

Joe: Correct, a really big risk, and if Nintendo hadn't thrown such support behind us, Telenet was ready to shop the project off to other companies. They were throwing out names like Enix and Namco, both of those companies were taking a look at our team around this time.
It might be a bit late for a retcon on this (so probably chalk it up to peripheral butterflies); but I was doing some digging on Namco for my TL, came across the Tales of... series, and according to Wikipedia (for however accurate they are) Phantasia was developed by Wolf Team (who were briefly independent from Telenet, then slowly re-acquired), who had issues with how Telenet had handled things in the past, and it was Wolf Team who actually did an end-run around Telenet looking for another publisher.
Which means interesting things for my TL, but might be something that fell through the cracks here; unless you'd found a more reliable source than Wiki that contradicted that story.

It might be a bit late for a retcon on this (so probably chalk it up to peripheral butterflies); but I was doing some digging on Namco for my TL, came across the Tales of... series, and according to Wikipedia (for however accurate they are) Phantasia was developed by Wolf Team (who were briefly independent from Telenet, then slowly re-acquired), who had issues with how Telenet had handled things in the past, and it was Wolf Team who actually did an end-run around Telenet looking for another publisher.
Which means interesting things for my TL, but might be something that fell through the cracks here; unless you'd found a more reliable source than Wiki that contradicted that story.

Can you tell me what you found about Namco, that would be interesting to read about....

What i recall from a friend of mine(she is french speaker but we talked in spanish) besides the whole ideas was Gotanda light novel who was never published, but for 1993-1994 wolfteam was already back into full fledge telenet and the independance was not that big, they've a lot of autonomy but still owned by Telenet, seems when PC-Engine and Mega Drive games underperfomed, they unify all the teams to go with full force to SNES, and that show in their games....Still is unclear when the whole Phantasia Project( The Novel, later ,Tale Phantasia later Tales of, later Star Ocean) started, ITTL When nintendo was looking for partner for CD games, they helped a lot Telenet and they just bring back slowly all teams into the mainline Company...

Can you tell me what you found about Namco, that would be interesting to read about....
Soucre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Phantasia
Tales of Phantasia was developed by members of "Wolf Team", a studio originally created by Telenet Japan. The story was based on an unpublished Japanese novel called Tale Phantasia (テイルファンタジア Teiru Fantajia?), written by the game's total programmer Yoshiharu Gotanda. The world was primarily based around Norse mythology, science fiction elements were incorporated, and some names were taken from the works of Michael Moorcock and H. P. Lovecraft to accommodate fans of western fantasy fiction. Many changes were made to Gotanda's original story, including the title, character names, and the omission of several proposed scenarios. Due to poor experiences with their parent company, the team sought a different publisher for their title. After unsuccessfully pitching the project to Enix, they secured a publishing contract with Namco.

{Emphasis added}

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_Tales_Studio
Originally headed by Masahiro Akishino, Wolf Team became independent from Telenet in 1987, was reintegrated in 1990 and got merged with another Telenet subsidiary called Lasersoft, then was completely absorbed in an internal restructuring at Telenet in 1993 at which point most of the staff left together with Akishino.

The remaining staff were the then-very-young programmer Yoshiharu Gotanda, designer Masaki Norimoto, director Joe Asanuma, graphic artist Yoshiaki Inagaki, sound composer Motoi Sakuraba, and sound effect designer Ryota Furuya. Wolf Team went on to create games such as Sol-Feace and Hiouden: Mamono-tachi tono Chikai, which faced weak sales. For Tale Phantasia, a game concept by Gotanda, they looked for an outside publisher with a better reputation. After approaching Enix, Telenet struck a contract with Namco.

Namco, however, insisted upon many changes to the game, including renaming the title to Tales of Phantasia. The conflict over these changes pushed the game's release from 1994 into late 1995. Most of the initial staff left during this dispute and founded tri-Ace in early 1995.
{Emphasis added}

Umm he was one of the genesis guys before the big switch...those guiys did leave like otl, some leave industry, other landed in Climax like OTL, so seems the Teams of Tenshi No Uta y Dark Kingdom were not affected by that, i knew about Exodus, not just as that badly...thanks for the info...consider that residual butterflies and thanks for the new info.

I used to recall was that Telenet was not willingly to fund that experimental game(the game was and still is pretty revolutionary in SNES, with game system and sound areas as their sucessor as Tri-Ace, Star Ocean) and just helped to point out other directions, seems telenet was otl pretty badly, well thanks for all buddy, how is your tl doing?

Umm he was one of the genesis guys before the big switch...those guiys did leave like otl, some leave industry, other landed in Climax like OTL, so seems the Teams of Tenshi No Uta y Dark Kingdom were not affected by that, i knew about Exodus, not just as that badly...thanks for the info...consider that residual butterflies and thanks for the new info.

I used to recall was that Telenet was not willingly to fund that experimental game(the game was and still is pretty revolutionary in SNES, with game system and sound areas as their sucessor as Tri-Ace, Star Ocean) and just helped to point out other directions, seems telenet was otl pretty badly, well thanks for all buddy, how is your tl doing?
Happy to help ^_^

Still in development hell, though developing. I just accidentally butterflied Abraham Lincoln's presidency away last week.
The real problem is I had a list of years & events, and ever since I started reading the great work here I've been trying to make it more fleshed out.
I'm getting a little bogged down in details and research, but it's progressing. Alot of history to cover, the earliest PoD is 1671. (The very Protestant British Parliament takes issue with their American Colonies using the coins of the very Catholic Spain as their primary currency due to a lack of proper British specie.)
I'm using the theory that circumstances change, but people basically don't; leading to multiple points of divergence and congruence (but not convergence); some things still happen, others happen very differently, still others are completely gone.

In 1994, the British company Rare revitalized the Nintendo character Donkey Kong in their 1994 hit Donkey Kong Country. Sony immediately called for Nintendo to expand their 49% stake in the company. Nintendo was initially reluctant, but agreed anyway when they saw their success of the entire DKC Trilogy in 1997, expanding their stake to 55%. While Midway, a Chicago-based company famous for Mortal Kombat, also had a controlling stake sold to Nintendo in 1995.

OK, guys, here's another idea for this timeline. That being the Mario games all have voice acted cutscenes since 64. In fact, everyone except Mario gets one new voice actor.

Yes, that includes Luigi and the Warios. But I feel the actors I chose for them could easily pull something off.

Furthermore, this will be extended by me to include alt. timeline for Midway Studios, who creates the Super Mario Inc series of 3D platformers for the N64. Which in this timeline, is CD ROM based. Also, they made up several new names for pre-existing places, for instance, the "Mushroom Kingdom" turned in a nickname for "Fungaria". Below is the fictionalized cast with alternate names created by Midway.

All the vocie cast ITTL reprise their roles in several Disney animations related to Mario.

* is an actor who is still alive ITTL.

• Mario Marchelli: Charles Martient
  • Luigi Marchelli: Rob Paulsen
  • Princess Elizabeth Patricia "Peach" Toadstool of Fungaria: Jodi Benson
  • Princess Daisy Minnie Call of Sarasaland: Kath Soucie
  • Captain Toad Baggins, Son of Toadsworth: Wayne allwine*
  • Yoshi: Jeff Bennett
  • Bowser: Jim Cummings
  • Tatanga: Mark Hamill
  • Wart: Tim Curry

Last edited:
In 1994, the British company Rare revitalized the Nintendo character Donkey Kong in their 1994 hit Donkey Kong Country. Sony immediately called for Nintendo to expand their 49% stake in the company. Nintendo was initially reluctant, but agreed anyway when they saw their success of the entire DKC Trilogy in 1997, expanding their stake to 55%. While Midway, a Chicago-based company famous for Mortal Kombat, also had a controlling stake sold to Nintendo in 1995.
OK, guys, here's another idea for this timeline. That being the Mario games all have voice acted cutscenes since 64. In fact, everyone except Mario gets one new voice actor.

Yes, that includes Luigi and the Warios. But I feel the actors I chose for them could easily pull something off.

Furthermore, this will be extended by me to include alt. timeline for Midway Studios, who creates the Super Mario Inc series of 3D platformers for the N64. Which in this timeline, is CD ROM based. Also, they made up several new names for pre-existing places, for instance, the "Mushroom Kingdom" turned in a nickname for "Fungaria". Below is the fictionalized cast with alternate names created by Midway.

All the vocie cast ITTL reprise their roles in several Disney animations related to Mario.

* is an actor who is still alive ITTL.

• Mario Marchelli: Charles Martient
  • Luigi Marchelli: Rob Paulsen
  • Princess Elizabeth Patricia "Peach" Toadstool of Fungaria: Jodi Benson
  • Princess Daisy Minnie Call of Sarasaland: Kath Soucie
  • Captain Toad Baggins, Son of Toadsworth: Wayne allwine*
  • Yoshi: Jeff Bennett
  • Bowser: Jim Cummings
  • Tatanga: Mark Hamill
  • Wart: Tim Curry
A. This is Thread Necromancy.
B. This isn't a collab. You can offer suggestions, but you're not really using the right tone.
C.This TL is over. It has a sequel here:https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...tiplayer-gaming-in-the-new-millennium.395490/ Please direct all comments and suggestions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.