Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be possible for the Simpsons to end sooner? I mean it'd be better for it to end when it was still somewhat good than for it to linger on way past it's expiration date. Have it bow out before it becomes a shadow of it's former self like in OTL. At this point in the timeline it's had ten seasons so it's not like it's being cut down in it's prime or anything. Plus it'd allow the people involved to focus their attention on other projects. Like Futurama.

Could it be possible for the Simpsons to end sooner? I mean it'd be better for it to end when it was still somewhat good than for it to linger on way past it's expiration date. Have it bow out before it becomes a shadow of it's former self like in OTL. At this point in the timeline it's had ten seasons so it's not like it's being cut down in it's prime or anything. Plus it'd allow the people involved to focus their attention on other projects. Like Futurama.

I know "Behind The Laughter" (season 11 finale) would have been a good place for it to end IOTL. I'm not sure if the butterflies would work out to get Simpsons canceled at this point though, unless the staff willingly ended it (and said no to a whole lot of money).

I know "Behind The Laughter" (season 11 finale) would have been a good place for it to end IOTL. I'm not sure if the butterflies would work out to get Simpsons canceled at this point though, unless the staff willingly ended it (and said no to a whole lot of money).

Hopefully there'd be a way to end it before it wears out it's welcome sooner or later. Because 27 Seasons is too much. Then they could make a movie to serve as a series finale. Or transition into making a few Simpsons movies. Because making a few movies is probably easier than trying to keep a show fresh over 17 years.

Only way I can see is if another mega-popular animated show comes along and steals its thunder, and even if it's just a passing fad, the ratings dip low enough that the Simpsons is cancelled. I know it's very contrived.

Only way I can see is if another mega-popular animated show comes along and steals its thunder, and even if it's just a passing fad, the ratings dip low enough that the Simpsons is cancelled. I know it's very contrived.

As of the 1999-00 TV season, The Simpsons is airing in a Sunday night block on FOX with King of the Hill, Futurama, and The Patakis (Craig Bartlett didn't get to make Hey Arnold ITTL, so he refined his concept for a show about Helga's family into a more mature animated show and pitched it to Fox). King of the Hill is still going about as strongly as it was going IOTL, Futurama is doing okay in the ratings, maybe a tad better than IOTL, and The Patakis is decent but not a hit like Simpsons or KotH. I have some plans for FOX's prime-time animated lineup down the road, but none of them involve a show strong enough to take down The Simpsons.

Unfortunately, unless an ASB flutters by and convinces everyone associated with The Simpsons to start hating money, it's going to keep on chugging along into mediocrity as IOTL. :( It would've taken an earlier, bigger POD within this timeline to change that.

As of the 1999-00 TV season, The Simpsons is airing in a Sunday night block on FOX with King of the Hill, Futurama, and The Patakis (Craig Bartlett didn't get to make Hey Arnold ITTL, so he refined his concept for a show about Helga's family into a more mature animated show and pitched it to Fox). King of the Hill is still going about as strongly as it was going IOTL, Futurama is doing okay in the ratings, maybe a tad better than IOTL, and The Patakis is decent but not a hit like Simpsons or KotH. I have some plans for FOX's prime-time animated lineup down the road, but none of them involve a show strong enough to take down The Simpsons.

Unfortunately, unless an ASB flutters by and convinces everyone associated with The Simpsons to start hating money, it's going to keep on chugging along into mediocrity as IOTL. :( It would've taken an earlier, bigger POD within this timeline to change that.

Probably the only way to take out the show is if one of the main VAs unexpectedly passes on, or becomes embroiled in scandal that ends with a sizable prison sentence. They retired Phil Hartman's characters after his death, and written out Krabappel after Marcia Wallace's death. If one of the main voices actors became unavailable for reasons beyond anyone's control... I'm not sure they'll be pulling an "Other Darrin" in order to keep the Simpsons going.

Probably the only way to take out the show is if one of the main VAs unexpectedly passes on, or becomes embroiled in scandal that ends with a sizable prison sentence. They retired Phil Hartman's characters after his death, and written out Krabappel after Marcia Wallace's death. If one of the main voices actors became unavailable for reasons beyond anyone's control... I'm not sure they'll be pulling an "Other Darrin" in order to keep the Simpsons going.

In Latin American spanish they pulled out pretty well(and voice actors imitated old ones flawesly except Lisa and Mr Burns sadly).

I think there is was a reason why not abandoned it? heck in japan are series as old as simpsons even older, heck Shin-Chan the author die and was revived even.

OTL there was some 'close call' around 20 and 25th season about cost and authors and VA accept to yet cuts to keep the series going, for the love of the series.

Just...there is just enough butterflies barring a new fox president who hates cartoons.

With Phil Hartman surviving TTL, there should be some interesting butterflies. Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure may make some more appearances or Hartman himself may voice other roles in the show. Oh, was it stated he will voice Zap Brannigan since the character was intended for him OTL?

In regards to Commander Keen: The Fatal Frontier, I'm guessing that "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" from Futurama will be butterflied away. As for why it lasted for two seasons, I suppose I could have had going for third season and possibly a fourth. In my mind is was popular and had solid ratings, but maybe it was one of those instances where the producers and original creators was better to create something shorter and more memorable. "The Fatal Frontier" made sure of that. Though perhaps it would have been nice to see it make a jump to Cartoon Network.

Though maybe the feature-length (well, I'm guessing the runtime will be 66 minutes) "Fatal Frontier," may see rumblings of a full-fledged Keen film?

With Phil Hartman surviving TTL, there should be some interesting butterflies. Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure may make some more appearances or Hartman himself may voice other roles in the show. Oh, was it stated he will voice Zap Brannigan since the character was intended for him OTL?

In regards to Commander Keen: The Fatal Frontier, I'm guessing that "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" from Futurama will be butterflied away. As for why it lasted for two seasons, I suppose I could have had going for third season and possibly a fourth. In my mind is was popular and had solid ratings, but maybe it was one of those instances where the producers and original creators was better to create something shorter and more memorable. "The Fatal Frontier" made sure of that. Though perhaps it would have been nice to see it make a jump to Cartoon Network.

Though maybe the feature-length (well, I'm guessing the runtime will be 66 minutes) "Fatal Frontier," may see rumblings of a full-fledged Keen film?

Touch pretty good points and details to be discussed later. Still why so much people want to end simpons? rating are high and people here who accused of lack of quality still watch it every sunday autumn-winter ;)

About Keen movies, if later series perform as strong or even stronger are a chance, specially if both ip holders(Tom Hall and SEGA) pushed it hard, still Hollywood is too willy willy and those would take a lot of time too.

Touch pretty good points and details to be discussed later. Still why so much people want to end simpons? rating are high and people here who accused of lack of quality still watch it every sunday autumn-winter ;)

About Keen movies, if later series perform as strong or even stronger are a chance, specially if both ip holders(Tom Hall and SEGA) pushed it hard, still Hollywood is too willy willy and those would take a lot of time too.

People just want The Simpsons to end on a high note when it was still good, or just starting to decline.

Then again if OTL is any indication bringing back and revamping old canceled stuff is in vogue. I mean, if you told me the X-Files was going to make another TV appearance after being canceled in '02 I would have laughed. If Simpsons get canceled here it could end up being revived at a later date.

So, something came to mind upon browsing through NEOGaf online. Did the Gathering of Developers form as in OTL? Will we have some low budget developer attempt to make the equivalent of this game for consoles?

Last edited:
February 2000 - Disavowed
Acclaim vs. Acclaim? Dueling FPS Blockbusters Launch On The Same Day, We'll Tell You Which One Outguns The Other!”
-The headline of the March 2000 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, which reviewed the games Disavowed and Turok III: Rage Wars

There's no rivalry here, we hope they both sell great. Of course, I am a BIT partial to Disavowed.”
-Marc Pacini, when asked by ZDTV's Adam Sessler about the fact that Acclaim is launching two major FPSes in February 2000, one for each major console

It was a huge honor, being asked to score a game for a Japanese company. Of course I jumped, especially after I learned someone else would be composing for The Resurrection Stone.”
-Jeremy Soule in a May 2003 interview with GameSymphonies.com, discussing his work on Enix and Quintet's Laika's Journey

Laika's Journey was a brilliant game. And it tanked. Utterly tanked. Enix's games were still doing well in Japan, but in North America they were floundering, and Enix's American brass blamed Sega. They wanted to go back to doing games for Nintendo, and when that contract was up in 2001, the second most popular RPG makers in the world would have a big decision to make.”
-from “The Chase: Sega's 20-Year Struggle To Take Down A Giant”

That's it. End of the road. Drop your gun and come back with me or I'll put a bullet through your skull. I don't give a damn about our friendship. You turned your back on that when you killed Annie.”
-Kevin Straborg, Disavowed

I just said to him, 'Kurt, I know this is the last thing you ever want to hear, especially from me, but the world needs you to make music again.'”
-Kathleen Hanna, in a 2004 interview with MTV News

-

Ultra Nintendo:

Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “This is a nifty shooter with interesting protagonists and excellent play controls.”)
Gamespot: 4.7 (quote: “Incredibly derivative, it ultimately pales in comparison to other shooters on the market.”)

Brunswick Pro Circuit Bowling

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “If bowling doesn't appeal to you, this game won't change your mind. With that said, it's very realistic.”)
Gamespot: 7.3 (quote: “A supremely good bowling game with several real-life pros.”)

CyberTiger

EGM: 4.0 (quote: “An exceedingly silly golfing title, and definitely not in a good way.”)
Gamespot: 3.0 (quote: “Just a really hideous golfing game.”)

Dynasty Warriors 2

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “An addictive and fun tactical hack-and-slash.”)
Gamespot: 7.6 (quote: “It gets repetitive after a while, but the action is fantastic.”)

Mystical Ninja Goemon II

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “Some creative boss fights help to break up the monotony in parts of the game.”)
Gamespot: 6.3 (quote: “The combat is improved, but the level structure could use some work.”)

NASCAR: Daytona Thunder (also released for the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 7.5 (quote: “Excellent graphics make this the best NASCAR game to date.”)
Gamespot: 8.5 (quote: “White-knuckle racing action and lifelike tracks highlight this superb EA title.”)

NBA In The Zone 2000 (also released for the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 5.5 (quote: “Mediocre graphics and gameplay drag this game down.”)
Gamespot: 5.9 (quote: “A lack of modes and customization are disappointing for what is a fairly solid basketball sim.”)

Panzer Front

EGM: 6.8 (quote: “I liked the addition of realistic tanks, though some missions can be very dull.”)
Gamespot: 7.2 (quote: “Finally, a good tank combat game on the Ultra Nintendo. X: Tactics doesn't count, those aren't real tanks.”)

Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein (also released for the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “A weird but ultimately really fun fighting game.”)
Gamespot: 7.3 (quote: “A big assortment of characters highlight a pretty good weapon-based fighter.”)

Transformers: Beast Wars

EGM: 5.0 (quote: “A shame that this game based on such an interesting property is ultimately really dull.”)
Gamespot: 7.1 (quote: “A bit short for my tastes, but the graphics and rocking soundtrack brought up the quality of this game.”)

Ultra Choro Q

EGM: 6.3 (quote: “A really weird little racer that's fun in short bursts.”)
Gamespot: 5.6 (quote: “The presentation could use a lot of work.”)

Wipeout 2

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “This game features some splendid track design.”)
Gamespot: 7.3 (quote: “It's not the best futuristic racer on the console, but it has a lot of good qualities.”)

Xena: Warrior Princess

EGM: 3.8 (quote: “Was there any doubt a Xena game would be a disaster?”)
Gamespot: 4.6 (quote: “It's a shame this game is so mediocre, because done right, a Xena video game could be amazing. The problem is doing it right.”)

Ultra Frederico

EGM: 8.2 (quote: “While it isn't the most original platformer, it's packed with classic Frederico fun.”)
Gamespot: 8.8 (quote: “Colorful and full of life, Ultra Frederico is fun from start to finish.”)

Disavowed

EGM: 8.7 (quote: “One of the smartest shooters I've played in a long time.”)
Gamespot: 9.4 (quote: “The best thing about this FPS isn't its shooting mechanics (though they're fantastic). It's the fleshed out characters.”)

Rapidfire

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “The gameplay is easy to pick up, but this game doesn't have much going for it otherwise.”)
Gamespot: 5.4 (quote: “Most great puzzle games are addictive immediately. This one never really hooks you.”)

Kydia: Invading Armies

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “But even if battling itself isn't all that innovative, the character customization system is deep and rewarding.”)
Gamespot: 5.9 (quote: “Menus, menus, and more menus! It's easy to spend way more time in your menus than you do on the battlefield.”)

Saturn:

Turok III: Generation War

EGM: 8.2 (quote: “Even with a new character, it's still the same old Turok, for better or worse.”)
Gamespot: 8.1 (quote: “With less weapons to use, it's a more simple, streamlined Turok.”)

Laika's Journey

EGM: 9.2 (quote: “At times, this game is positively brilliant.”)
Gamespot: 8.2 (quote: “For all its quirks, Laika's Journey maintains Quintet's record of RPG excellence.”)

-

Disavowed: The Basics

Disavowed is a first-person shooter developed by Acclaim exclusively for the Ultra Nintendo. The game is a combination FPS/stealth title that plays somewhat like a cross between Activision's Call of Duty series and Goldeneye 007, it rewards and for certain missions outright requires stealth, but most of the time plays like a standard FPS. The game contains a variety of guns, based on real-life firearms, with an assortment of realistic stealth gadgets as well (there's very little in the way of futuristic tech in this game). Like in the Turok games, your character can jump, though there isn't any real “platforming” in the game per se. You can also perform stealth melee takedowns, and even use your weapon to this effect (i.e., if you shoot an enemy in the throat and he survives, he still won't be able to call for help). Most of the enemies are ordinary humans, though a few of them are wearing body armor and are tougher to take down. For the most part, one good well-placed shot kills an enemy, though your character can't take much damage either, and health does not regenerate. You'll need to either pick up health packs to survive, or have some in your (limited) inventory. Though the game features a highly lauded (if a bit short) single player campaign, it is most well known for its multiplayer mode, which rivals Goldeneye in terms of quality and popularity. The game contains the usual options (deathmatch, capture-the-flag, etc.) along with an asymetrical mode that gives one player the ability to battle three players on even footing by serving as a sort of “boss” for a level that the three opponents have to go through. The single player can set traps, deploy hazards, and call in help. This mode is one of the most popular and fun multiplayer variants, and it is highly praised in reviews, with gaming journalists regaling readers with tales of their battles in this mode all throughout 2000, spreading more awareness of the game. The graphics themselves are very good, though not groundbreaking, with a lot of stage detail at the cost of reducing character detail somewhat. The musical soundtrack is also considered to be good, though not a masterpiece, and the voice acting is solid, performed mostly by a cast of cheap unknowns.

The plot of Disavowed revolves around a squad of black-ops soldiers deployed by the United States on secret missions around the world. These are above top-secret missions that would create a scandal if ever exposed, and the members of the squad all have mixed feelings about doing America's dirtiest work. The name of the game refers to the fact that if any of the squad's missions are ever compromised, every member of the squad will be completely disavowed by the United States, with a lifetime burn notice and revocation of their citizenship. The squad is led by Kevin Straborg, a young but very gifted man who, between missions, shoots up drugs in order to forget about the terrible things he's done. His best friend on the squad is Eddie Gest, an extremely competent but somewhat troubled man who seems to have no problem executing the missions. The squad is assisted by a woman named Annie who gives them their missions and who seems to have a romance with Eddie, though she also has a close relationship with Kevin. The first mission involves the assassination of a United Nations negotiator and seems to go off without a hitch, but when Kevin goes to report the success to his superiors, he finds two members of the squad dead. Kevin soon discovers that Eddie has betrayed him, and after a chase that leads to a lethal explosion that kills dozens of people, Eddie gets away and the squad is left in shambles, with its dirty deeds exposed for all to see. Kevin is immediately branded a terrorist and targeted by the United States government, and must now hunt down Eddie in the hopes of finding out what Eddie's up to while at the same time looking for any possibility of getting his persona non grata status in the United States revoked. The game contains through 14 levels, with the first half of the game involving Kevin attempting to find the four remaining living members of his squad. Of those four, one of them (Mishka) is working with Eddie, one of them (Savage) becomes an ally, another (Trent) is killed by Kevin, and the final one (Bail) is killed by Eddie). Kevin also reunites with Annie, who begins covertly helping him, gleaning whatever information she can to help track Eddie down. As the game continues, Kevin, separated from his drugs, begins undergoing symptoms of withdrawal. He also pieces together Eddie's motives for betraying the squad: through the squad's missions, Eddie has discovered what makes the wheels of power turn in the world, and hopes to position himself to take control over world affairs. However, he is trying to trick Kevin, Annie, and Mishka into believing he has a more noble purpose of preventing America from using black ops teams to conduct secret missions around the world. At first, Kevin wants to believe that Eddie really might still be his friend, and at the end of Mission 10, Annie goes to try and talk Eddie into surrendering. However, Eddie's words were a trick, and he leaves Annie as a trap to try and take Kevin out. Annie sacrifices herself to save Kevin's life, but now Kevin knows that Eddie only seeks power, and no longer has any qualms about killing him. The last three missions involve Kevin finally tracking down and killing Eddie. Mission 13 involves Kevin trying to stop Mishka, only for Eddie to kill her when she realizes how evil he truly is. In Mission 14, there's a huge three-way confrontation between Kevin, the US government, and Eddie. And in the final mission, Kevin and Eddie have their final showdown. After stopping Eddie, Kevin and Savage are privately acknowledged by the government for their heroism, but there is no indication that the US government will cease its shady black ops missions, and is indeed seen putting together a new squad at the end of the game. Kevin and Savage are forced to go totally off the grid, deciding to work as mercenaries as they continue to elude the forces sent to apprehend them.

Disavowed is considered to be one of 2000's best games, both critically and commercially, and is accompanied by a huge marketing campaign. Though developed by Acclaim and not Activision, it's considered later on to be the proto-Call of Duty type FPS, with numerous people who worked on the original Disavowed later working for Activision to produce some of the Call of Duty games later on. It's considered exceptionally popular among young male players, though women take issues with the game's fairly brutal “fridgings” of Annie and Mishka. When Velvet Dark is released later in the year, featuring numerous prominent female characters, this contributes heavily to the fandom rivalry between the two games.

-

Turok III: Generation War- The Basics

Acclaim's other FPS released in the month of February, Turok III: Generation War is the latest game in the Turok series, the last to appear on the Saturn and the last to be console-exclusive at release. Its plot is a mix of original elements, OTL Shadow of Oblivion, and OTL Rage Wars. The game's weapon selection is vastly streamlined from earlier Turok games, with less than half of the weapon selection of the previous game (and some of those weapons exclusive to Turok/Joshua or his sister Danielle). The game features ten levels in all, two of which must be explored by Joshua, two which must be explored by Danielle, and the remaining six which can be explored by either one. All ten levels can also be explored by both players in the game's co-op mode, which spawns more and more difficult enemies for two players to deal with. This game, unlike the previous two games, requires the use of the Ring, though graphically it isn't really a major step up from Turok 2. It also includes a multiplayer mode, though there aren't many more additional options from the previous game.

The plot of the game eschews OTL's Oblivion in favor of a new villain called the Lord of Ages, who has the power to tear holes in space and time. Along with his vast army, he uses these holes to call forth creatures from all eras. In addition to aliens and dinosaurs, the Lord of Ages can call forth Roman centurions, futuristic soldiers, cyborgs, and even mysterious eidritch abominations (toward the end of the game). Across the ten levels of the game, Joshua and Danielle can traverse space and time through the portals, and must do so to smash the Age Stones, artifacts that the Lord of Ages is using to exert his control. Once all ten Stones are smashed, the Lord of Ages can no longer escape through the warp holes and can be fought on an even footing. The final battle takes place in the Roman Coliseum in front of a massive crowd of ancient Romans (though the final battle is so violent and explosive that it kills many of them and sends the others fleeing). If Danielle is the one to defeat the Lord of Ages (either by the player choosing to control her in single-player mode or Danielle landing the finishing blow in co-op mode), there is a special ending where Joshua hands down the mantle of Turok to Danielle.

Though Generation War is criticized by some for being a somewhat more derivative FPS than the first two games, and cutting down the weapon selection significantly, it's still reviewed quite well and becomes one of the Saturn's best sellers of the year. The game completes what is known as the Original Trilogyof Turok games before the series' reboot in 2002 (as a multiplatform series), and the trilogy is ultimately regarded as one of the Saturn's very best franchises.

-

Ultra Frederico was the series' first outing in full 3D, and like other sidescrollers of the day that made the transition, the results were mixed but for the most part quite good. Frederico was once again called upon to rescue his beautiful girlfriend Madelina, who has been kidnapped by a masked rider known as the Bandolero. Frederico pursues the Bandolero through a number of colorful, Western-themed stages, where he is required to assist a certain number of people before moving on. Frederico is packing a pair of pistols in this game, and can also deploy his sombrero for a number of purposes, both as a weapon and as a utility item that can flip switches, hold treasures, and even be used as a mobile disguise closet (Frederico's silly, obvious, but effective disguises are a running joke throughout the game). Ultra Frederico even came with its own multiplayer mode, though instead of being combat-focused, it was all about which player could gather the most treasures.

The game's ending came with a major twist: Madelina had arranged her own kidnapping! She set herself up to be taken by the Bandolero so that she could force him to do her bidding by performing various acts of kindness in the towns he passed through. She wanted to see if he could be as much of a hero as Frederico, but in the end, she decided that Frederico was the better hero, and sent the Bandolero packing! Ultra Frederico scored great reviews and strong sales from the usual fans of the series, who made the game one of the Ultra Nintendo's top sellers of the month. Frederico wasn't about to replace Mario on the pantheon of video game heroes, but he's always had his own particular brand of charm, and had become one of those ubiquitous video game mascots who made us smile whenever he showed up.

-excerpted from an article on Gamesovermatter.com

-

Reporter: And at this year's Grammy Awards gifting booth, Selena seemed especially happy to be getting an Ultra Nintendo, the world's hottest gaming system.

Selena: Finally, I got my hands on one of these! *laughing*

Reporter: When asked what game she'd be playing first, Selena didn't hesitate to answer.

Selena: Frederico! *laughing again* I promised a friend I'd play, so that's the first thing I'm gonna do.

Reporter: Of course, many recording artists at the Grammys already own an Ultra Nintendo, including Moby, who's up for Song of the Year, and Christina Aguilera, who looks to be the favorite for Best New Artist. Aguilera said she'd give her Grammy gift to a friend.

*Another reporter is holding a microphone up to Selena as she carries around her new Ultra Nintendo.*

Reporter: Is there a reason you didn't buy one of these before?

Selena: I've been so busy! I just finished working on my new album, I've been on tour, I mean...finally I get a chance to sit down and relax! I wouldn't have even had the time to play before.

-from the February 21, 2000 episode of Entertainment Tonight

-

Laika's Journey, at times, defies explanation. At times it plays like somewhat of a Secret of Mana or Terranigma clone, letting you control either the girl Minka or the dog Laika in combat with typical action-RPG type enemies. At other times, you're taking control of Laika as she absorbs one of eight “soul essences” to solve some of the weirdest puzzles we've ever seen in a video game. As you traverse the solar system, traveling from planet to planet to conquer the challenges on each one, the game gets more and more complicated, and stranger at that. The amazing musical score by Jeremy Soule fits perfectly in nearly every scene, and songs rarely get repetitive or boring, even when you're stumped for the better part of an hour on a tricky puzzle. By the time you unravel the game's mysteries and reach the final showdown, you've bonded with these two characters more than you ever expected to, and there's absolutely no fatigue as the game races toward its incredible and poignant conclusion.

I feel like this game is what Granstream should have been. It gets back to Quintet's roots, while laying the groundwork for future games. It's a superb and at times mind-blowing game. Laika's Journey is a winner, and all RPG-loving Saturn owners should play it.

Score: 10

-from the RPGamer.net review of Laika's Journey, posted on February 10, 2000

Enix Announces First Katana Game, Japanese Release Dates For Dragon Quest VII And Planetary Probe

In a brief press statement released yesterday, the software company Enix announced that Revolution Alpha, a fantasy-based role-playing game, would be the company's first game for the new Sega Katana system, and that it would release in Japan sometime in 2001. The first screenshots reveal a vast world, where three young characters are exploring the ruins of a destroyed castle and collecting pieces of a jeweled tablet. Rumors are that Enix may begin developing games for the Ultra Nintendo once their contract with Sega expires next year, but so far, those rumors have been unconfirmed.

The company also announced release dates for their upcoming games Dragon Quest VII and Planetary Probe II. Dragon Quest VII is set to launch in Japan on May 7, 2000, while Planetary Probe II is scheduled for release on August 28, 2000. Planetary Probe II has already been announced for a North American release, while nothing official has been said about Dragon Quest VII's localization. It's likely that the game will see a North American release sometime in 2001.

-excerpted from an article posted on Gamespot.com on February 12, 2000

Interviewer: Are you disappointed that Dragon Quest VII will only be released for the Sega Saturn?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I did enjoy the previous games greatly, so when I found out that the seventh game was only coming to the Saturn...well, yes, that was a bit disheartening to me.

Interviewer: Are you planning to play it anyway?

Miyamoto: Uhhhh....errr....well.....*laughs* Some of us have enjoyed certain Sega Saturn games! So, I don't think it would cause a big problem. *laughs again*

-from an interview on a Japanese television program, February 14, 2000

-

It's hard to imagine a better start to the year for Psygnosis than releasing the sequel to one of the first hit racing titles for the Ultra Nintendo, Wipeout. Wipeout 2 is a critical hit, taking everything folks loved about the first game and adding more. More tracks, more racers, more custom parts for vehicles... it's one of the hottest games of the month and looking to be a sales success for the company. Now, they're getting set to release a second game. In Future Fear: Escape The Arena, you're thrust into a Thunderdome-like battlefield to fight for your life, and must not only survive, but win your freedom.

We got an early look at Future Fear when we visited the company's studios in Liverpool, England, and the game definitely has a “you against the world” type of feel. Indeed, when you begin the game, everyone is an enemy.

“You'll have to resist the urge to kill everybody you see,” said Gavin Whitlock, one of the game's lead programmers. He advised us to avoid shooting all but the most hostile opponents, as we would have the opportunity to recruit some of the survivors later, and this would not only help us against foes down the road, but would also affect the game's ending. “Only kill when you're cornered, and even then, look for a way out.”

It seems counterintuitive not to think about killing everything in a game packed with rapid-fire energy weapons and powerful melee combos. The game's combat system is one of the best we've experienced, and it seemed like a waste to let it go unused, but Whitlock promised our restraint would pay off down the road.

Future Fear puts you in the shoes of Adaline, a woman captured along with about thirty others by a mercenary squad hired to capture human slaves that are then given to the organizers of a battle tournament that pits these slaves against one another in a massive combat arena, with only one survivor allowed. It paints a picture of a ruined world, one where might makes right and power is the only currency. It's as dark a future as you can possibly imagine, and Whitlock warns us that this game isn't for the faint of heart.

“You're gonna see some nasty stuff as you play,” said Whitlock, who anticipates an M rating from the ESRB for this game. “Human trafficking, armed gangs of violent thugs, people starving to death in the streets...it ain't a pretty picture, but Adaline represents a ray of hope in the darkness.”

As we played through an early level where Adaline had to find a weapon and either fight or flee from an organized gang of ruffians, we got the sense that sparing some of these people would not be the easy path. Indeed, most of this gang you will eventually have to kill, with the exception of a teenage boy whom you can choose to spare as long as you kill the other gang members first.

Eventually, promises Whitlock (and the game's subtitle), Adaline will escape the arena and take her fight to the merciless, sadistic warlords who set up these horrifying combat tournaments. Of course, these people are rich and armed to the teeth, and it'll take every ounce of courage Adaline has, and every ally she can scrounge up, in order to defeat them.

“If you kill everybody in that arena, you're gonna have a rough time. Believe me, without at least one good ally, you'll have a very difficult second half of the game.”

Future Fear: Escape The Arena is scheduled for an April release.

-excerpted from the March 2000 issue of Game Informer magazine

-

Going into the 42nd annual Grammy Awards, nobody knew who was going to win Album of the Year. It seemed to be a two-way race between Santana's Supernatural and Nirvana's Waste Of Time, but The Backstreet Boys' Millennium, The Dixie Chicks' Fly, and Alison Pipitone's The Lilting Tree were all considered strong contenders with a dark horse shot. Alison Pipitone took home Best New Artist in an upset over pop princesses Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. Throughout the night, Nirvana and Santana swept the awards in their own categories, and even split Record of the Year and Song of the Year, with the former going to “Smooth” from Supernatural, and the latter going to “Floating Down The Columbia River” from Waste Of Time. When Nirvana was announced as the winner for Album of the Year, the crowd went wild, and Kurt Cobain, who hadn't been seen up at the podium the whole night, took the stage. Instead of talking about his album, Kurt addressed a variety of issues relating to his advocacy of minority rights, and also spoke about suicide prevention. The speech is considered to be one of the greatest award speeches ever given at the Grammys, and drew a massive standing ovation from the crowd.

The night was highlighted by a number of performances, especially from Santana, who took the stage with Christina Aguilera, Rob Thomas, and Selena, the latter of whom remained on stage afterward to perform a song from her upcoming album, Rio Grande, scheduled to release that spring. Other performers included the Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin, and Marc Anthony.

-from a 2000 Grammy Awards recap posted on a music history blog on January 16, 2013

And Cobain's angry Woodstock declaration has apparently turned out to be a ten-minute retirement, as he's already announced plans to make music again sometime in the future. However, that music may not necessarily be with Nirvana. Sources close to the band say that members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic are looking into working on their own project, while Kurt seems to be spending much of his time with new girlfriend Kathleen Hanna. While Nirvana hasn't formally broken up, the three band members have all expressed a desire to explore their own musical pursuits, away from the crowds and glitz that typically accompany anything having to do with the band. As for Kurt's on-again, off-again relationship with Courtney Love, the two broke up early last year after reconciling in 1997, and Kurt seems to be done with Courtney for good, though the two do take turns raising the couple's daughter Frances.”
-from “Music Minute” on the syndicated celebrity news show Thirty Minutes Of Fame, February 25, 2000

So now I've said my piece, and I'm gonna thank one person, and she's sitting right over there in the fourth row. Kathleen, you said to me, that the world needs me to make music. And that's not true. The world doesn't need Nirvana. The world needs to feed everybody. The world needs to make sure that everybody is treated with the same amount of respect. The world needs to make sure that people who shoot up heroin like I used to do can get medical treatment. But... I guess, what you were trying to say is that the world needs me to talk about shit like this because a lot of people won't listen to nobody else. And that's kinda fucked up, you know, when you got a guy, who it's his job to talk about this kinda stuff says this stuff and people don't listen to him, but they'll listen to me because I play a guitar or whatever. And I guess, until the world starts listening to the right people, I gotta tell 'em. Everybody out there who gets it, thanks for getting it. I still like playing music, don't worry about that. Kathleen, I love you. Okay then.”
-the end of Kurt Cobain's Album of the Year acceptance speech, which, despite containing multiple uses of profanity, did not get the network into trouble for broadcasting it because Kurt warned a network technician beforehand that 'if I win, you might have to bleep me or whatever', and the network was able to put his speech on a five-second tape delay and censor the strongest profanities

-

*Alex Stansfield and Brittany Saldita are standing in front of a screen displaying footage from Pokemon Yellow, the two of them are talking about various advanced strategies in the game.*

Alex: Now, this is something that Nintendo likes to keep hidden. Fortunately, we here at GameTV are in the business of spilling all these little secrets for our viewers!

Brittany: Did you know that every single Pokemon, without exception, has hidden stats that determine just how powerful the Pokemon will be? From the moment you catch it, these stats determine just how strong their other stats will become!

Alex: That's right. So, for example, if you catch a Rattata, and you catch another Rattata, they can be the same level but have completely different strengths! You might have noticed how one Rattata can have 12 hit points but then the next Rattata you find has 11. That's because of something called Initial Values!

Brittany: There's a complicated algebra formula that determines how these values effect your Pokemon.

Alex: This is why you need to pay attention in math class! You actually CAN use that stupid crap in real life!

*The two go on to explain how the IV system works, with numbers from 0-15 that determine your Pokemon's stats*

Brittany: If you want to know EXACTLY what your Pokemon's initial values are, there's a handy calculator on the GameTV website. Just plug in some numbers from your game and it'll spit out the Initial Value!

*They then explain effort values*

Alex: What it all basically means is that by defeating stronger Pokemon, you can make your own Pokemon stronger.

Brittany: In fact, even after you reach level 100, you can still defeat Pokemon to earn effort points even though you can no longer level up!

*Alex demonstrates this with a level 100 Farfetch'd*

Brittany: Really? You raised a Farfetch'd all the way to level 100?

Alex: It's not mine, it's MTV's!

Brittany: ...really, MTV? You raised a Farfetch'd all the way to level 100?

Alex: Just put the Pokemon back in the PC, take them out, and voila! You've just raised your Pokemon's stats without having to level up!

Brittany: We asked Nintendo why they keep IVs and EVs a secret. They replied back, saying that they want players to think of Pokemon as true-to-life friends and not just data on a screen.

Alex: So that means whenever you delete your saved game, you're a murderer!

Brittany: Hooray!

(…)

Lyssa Fielding: Laika's Journey is another gorgeous RPG, full of mystical worlds to explore and featuring a beautiful relationship between a young girl and her faithful dog. This game's puzzles will stump you, its environments will wow you, and its storyline will touch you.

Gary Westhouse: I'm afraid to say I wasn't as impressed with it as you were, Lyssa, and here's why. This game grinds to a screeching halt on multiple occasions. The puzzles are tough, yes, but also time-consuming, even if you know what you're doing, and there's way too much backtracking for my tastes.

Lyssa: I didn't get the sense that the backtracking was all that bad.

Gary: Okay, here's an example from early on in the game. You're on Mercury and you have to reflect the Sun's light to a series of mirrors set up all over this temple. The mirrors are spaced WAY too far apart, and in order to turn the mirrors you need to go to the individual mirrors and adjust them. If you're wrong, it takes a long time to figure out what you just messed up. Meanwhile, the game's sending tons of enemies to get in your way!

Lyssa: That's one example, and there were very few puzzles in the game that were that time-consuming. I breezed through most of it, I only got stumped a couple times on Jupiter-

Gary: Jupiter was bad too.

Lyssa: And then on Uranus, there was a pretty tricky puzzle but there was a shortcut to it.

Gary: I liked certain parts of this game. I LOVED certain parts of this game. But I thought the pacing got messed up by the puzzles and also from needing to swap power-ups too often. I'm giving it a 3.5.

Lyssa: Apart from a few really minor flaws, Laika's Journey is a masterpiece. You're going to LOVE the dog by the time the game is over! I'm giving it a 5, and Gary, I think you need to give it another chance.

Gary: And struggle through those puzzles again?

Lyssa: You'll do better now that you know how to solve them! C'mon!

Gary: I'm surprised you had the patience to get through them.

Lyssa: A comfy couch helps.

-excerpted from the February 8, 2000 episode of GameTV

(…)

Alex: I gotta say, I'm almost sorry I was too old for Transformers as a kid. The original show seems really awesome.

Steve Horton: I didn't play with them things.

Alex: They looked pretty cool on the commercials. So anyway, what did you think of Beast Wars?

Steve: It's terrible!

Alex: You gotta admit, the transformation sequences are pretty cool.

Steve: Yeah, but fights are repetitive, level objectives are confusing...

Alex: That was a problem I had with the game too. It barely tells you where you need to go or what you need to kill and so you end up wandering around for a while. Levels are usually too small to get lost, but it's still pretty annoying. The multiplayer mode is pretty neat.

*The screen quickly shows off the game's multiplayer mode, with two Maximals fighting each other in 2-D fighting game-style combat*

Steve: *shrugs* It's no Tekken.

Alex: But seeing Optimus Primal punch the head off the other robots is neat. You know, I'm giving this game a 3.

Steve: I gotta give it a 2, the music's not bad and the graphics are okay, but gameplay wise it's really just your basic action game. You'd have more fun playing with the toys.

Alex: The toys look awesome, don't they?

(…)

Ted: The one problem I have with this game is it's short. There's 15 missions in all, but a lot of them are really short and it feels like...it feels like they knew people would have so much fun with the multiplayer that they wouldn't have time for the single player mode!

Alex: Yeah, and that works for people who have friends, but people who don't have friends, or people who are living WAY across the country from their friends, are gonna have trouble. BUT, all that said, the single player mode is still great. The storyline's fantastic, the characters are great, it's fine. The multiplayer mode is just there for replay value.

Ted: This game's got the best multiplayer mode I've ever seen. It's just addictive! Especially 3-on-1 mode, I could play that for days on end.

Alex: So the bottom line is....?

Ted: If you're JUST getting it for the single player mode, maybe wait for a sale?

Alex: And if you've got three friends who love first person shooters...

Ted: It's a must buy. I'm giving it a 4.5 out of 5.

Alex: I'm also giving it a 4.5. Disavowed, lives up to the hype, most definitely.

-excerpted from the February 15, 2000 episode of GameTV

-

Ultra Nintendo Power Charts: February 2000

1. Squad Four: Rebellion
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Emergency
4. Ultra Donkey Kong Country
5. The Legend Of Zelda: Temple Of Time
6. Super Smash Bros.
7. Silent Hill
8. Star Wars: Battlefront
9. Half-Life
10. Fire Emblem: The False Princess

The Official Saturn Magazine Buzz Chart: February 2000

1. Soul Calibur
2. Turok III: Generation War
3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
4. Sonic The Hedgehog 5
5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
6. Silent Hill
7. Ridge Racer 2
8. Phantasy Star VI
9. Commander Keen: When Universes Collide
10. Klonoa 2

-

*A bunch of kids are on the playground with their Game Boys and Game Boy Colors. They're paying attention to their screens, but in the sky, something is shining...*

*One by one, the kids look up to see the shining light as it gets brighter and brighter. Then, it bursts forth in a bright supernova. The energy from the supernova rains down on the playground.*

Narrator: A supernova is the most powerful force in the universe. Now, the power of a supernova...

*The kids are jolted as the energy is absorbed into their Game Boys, transforming them into Game Boy Novas with bright flashes of light.*

Narrator: Is in the palm of your hand.

*Footage from Super Mario Nova, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Dodgeball, Street Fighter III: The New Age, and various other games is shown on screen as the kids excitedly play.*

Narrator: Enter the world of the Game Boy Nova, the most powerful handheld gaming device ever. Enjoy console-quality graphics and lifelike sound as you play games like Super Mario Nova and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

*Around the city, more people are shown with their Game Boys being hit by the mysterious energy and transforming into Game Boy Novas.*

Narrator: Capture your world with the built-in camera.

*People are shown taking pictures and then editing them in the internal software.*

Narrator: Take your memories anywhere you go with the built-in memory chip.

*People are shown scrolling through old Game Boy save files (Pokemon is notably absent, certain games, including Pokemon, don't allow this feature to be used)*

Narrator: And connect to the Ultra Nintendo to unlock incredible secrets.

*Footage from a Pokemon save file being used to import Pokemon into the new Pokemon Stadium game is shown (this is one feature that is allowed to be used, though again, you can't use it to have more than one save file)*

Narrator: Unstoppable power, unleashed! The Game Boy Nova is here.

*The kids on the playground are shown playing with Game Boy Novas as their hair stands up from the force of the supernova energy*

*The Game Boy Nova logo is shown.*

Handheld Gaming Reborn

March 26

-the North American advertisement for the Game Boy Nova, which began airing in March 2000

Enix wavering due to North American sales? That's not going to be a trend for them, is it?

Forgot that the Nova's American launch was in March. Going to be interesting to see how it fares.

Enix wavering due to North American sales? That's not going to be a trend for them, is it?

Forgot that the Nova's American launch was in March. Going to be interesting to see how it fares.

With Sega's market share in North America at its nadir, I don't blame Enix for having second thoughts. However, I feel that Dragon Quest VII's performance will factor in their decision. It is likely that it will be a monster hit in Japan considering the series' popularity there and maybe push Saturn sales a little before the Katana launch. Whether it will see any success in North America is another thing altogether. I mean, Dragon Warrior would have some brand-name recognition but never became a household name like Final Fantasy did.

As for the Nova, I imagine it will be a smashing success. A lot of people are salivating over Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Oh, I wonder if GameTV covering EVs will make the competitive battling scene popular earlier. Might we see Smogon start up a couple years ahead of time? Speaking of which, will Dark and Steel be in the Gen II game with Gen I being more balanced? Will the series end with Gen II as was originally planned? Will the battle at the end be different? Would it be possible to be able to transfer over your protagonist from Gen I as the end boss?

Oh, I wonder if GameTV covering EVs will make the competitive battling scene popular earlier. Might we see Smogon start up a couple years ahead of time?

Who knows. The real question is will hackers be able to extract the data from Game Boy Nova carts and disassemble it? Fan sites will be interesting if they aren't able to get emulated shots of the games.

Who knows. The real question is will hackers be able to extract the data from Game Boy Nova carts and disassemble it? Fan sites will be interesting if they aren't able to get emulated shots of the games.

they will need to take it old school...with special cameras or under special light settings, Piracy...is something happen always but here Nintendo have more experience and is more tight with experience with SNES-CD, but somewhat will happen but take longer otl(so we will got more: "My Uncle who work at Nintendo and knew japanese translated for me" rumors)

Enix games are usually harder sales than Squaresoft games, so yes, they may have some trouble selling some of their games in North America. First Phaedra and now Laika, that's got to be pretty jarring for them.

Oh, I wonder if GameTV covering EVs will make the competitive battling scene popular earlier. Might we see Smogon start up a couple years ahead of time? Speaking of which, will Dark and Steel be in the Gen II game with Gen I being more balanced? Will the series end with Gen II as was originally planned? Will the battle at the end be different? Would it be possible to be able to transfer over your protagonist from Gen I as the end boss?

Not really, it probably won't do much to the competitive battling scene but it is a nice little footnote. Smogon probably starts up on schedule, and yes, Dark and Steel are in the Gen II game (and Gen I isn't really all that much more balance than OTL). The series absolutely won't end with Gen II, way too lucrative for that. As for that last question, that would be a REALLY neat idea but it doesn't happen. :(

The real question is will hackers be able to extract the data from Game Boy Nova carts and disassemble it? Fan sites will be interesting if they aren't able to get emulated shots of the games.

They're cartridges, so yes, it's only a matter of time before GBN carts get ripped. GBN piracy probably becomes more popular than SNES-CD piracy, at first anyway.

Just remembered Gundam Wing debuted in December ITTL. Was there any changes in production for the American version ITTL(different voice actors, better translation, less editing, ect.)? How is its reception compared to OTL?

Just remembered Gundam Wing debuted in December ITTL. Was there any changes in production for the American version ITTL(different voice actors, better translation, less editing, ect.)? How is its reception compared to OTL?

Well acording Wiki it would debut next month, more details will come next month or summer pop culture special, any details will ruin the fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.