Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to start reading PMs and sending replies in the next few days. I'm really sorry it's taken so long, but the break has done me a lot of good from a creative standpoint!

I will need you or Nivek to PM me when you're going to start Massively Multiplayer as I still have to complete the entry on ITTL's Wonder Woman film and start work on the Green Lantern sequel.

I already PM'd both of you a rough draft for Virtua Quest 4.
I'm just waiting on feedback so I can start polishing it/tailoring it to fit better in TTL (it may have been a little ambitious, but than I feel it's better to aim big and fail than to not even try).
No hurry though, from what I remember it wasn't supposed to be a launch window game.

Glad the break has let your creative juices replenish; I look forward to Massively Multiplayer!

Well, this is a wee bit disappointing.

Ben Heck takes apart the SNES-CD/Playstation prototype, and it's basically just an SNES with a little bit of added RAM and maybe a built in SuperFX chip. That's definitely less powerful than the Neo-Geo CD/3DO-esque machine TTL's SNES-CD was, and if that's what Sony and Nintendo were really going for, this entire timeline just became ASB.

I'm hoping that the prototype was just a proof of concept and that Sony and Nintendo would've added all the extra processing/RAM chips later on after working out their differences. Obviously ITTL they had worked out their differences by mid-1991 and would've been hard at work on a more powerful device, but was this thing Ben Heck taking apart really what Nintendo had planned all along? JUST a CD player? Not even as powerful as the Sega CD, save for the double speed CD-ROM drive?

This is discouraging news. :(

How's that make this timeline ASB? As TTL's SNES-CD was actually possible for Nintendo and Sony to make with the Tech of the time, I don't see it as being ASB. Beside's the SNES-CD in the Video is not that bad really at least it add's the SuperFX and more RAM, I mean the PC-Engine CD was IIRC just a CD-ROM and practically nothing else.

byuu (of higan, bsnes and MSU1 fame) disagrees that the SNES would just be a CD-ROM drive for the SNES.

As far as the best representation of what an SNES-CD would have been, I'd have to disagree. The SuperDisc was an early prototype that lacked any kind of extra processing power. All of the prototype descriptions we've read (both Sony's and Phillips') have talked about extra coprocessor(s) being used. The Sega CD had an extra 68K and video effects processor as well. The only utility this early prototype would have had would be to produce much cheaper games (with tons of loading delays all the time, and *extremely* limited save RAM ... 8KiB for every game on the system combined.)

Ry, you should ask tell me before overshoot and all people here, yeah but the thing is far more complicated, what i've read and investigate, seems were like 3 Proposed SNES-CD before being fully cancelled.

The First one is the one we already see into public, the hybrid one alongside the expansion for snes-cd, that was the proof of concept as being a 'super pc engine-CD' but remember...the extra power was to be used via cartidge port(yeah that would have add more load times but nintendo is nintendo).

The Second one was a weird hybrid between sony-philips and nintendo we is the one we've specs in the public(and the one is inspired by this TL)
egm_snes_cd_article.jpg

The third one was a Purerly Nintendo-Philips one who would be compatible back and forth with the CDI console and format, that one was cancelled and few info exist about it, just the contract with philips give us Hotel Mario and the Unholy Triforce that is.

In general, we're writting about tech, and that can change, and nintendo and sony played hardball in the negotiations, both sides overshot but was the only way to work together and was a risk who worked pretty well...(remember the custom CD were loss in exchange for the extra horsepower and that make Both sides more open to fight piracy as much they can)

How's that make this timeline ASB? As TTL's SNES-CD was actually possible for Nintendo and Sony to make with the Tech of the time, I don't see it as being ASB. Beside's the SNES-CD in the Video is not that bad really at least it add's the SuperFX and more RAM, I mean the PC-Engine CD was IIRC just a CD-ROM and practically nothing else.
Errr, the PC Engine CD-ROM did use a Hu Card to add extra ram too and more advance card for the Arcade PC-CDROM who special games used who later evolved into special hardware revision(coregrafx and Supergrafx) i think nintendo was to play that game too, remember sega was a non-factor in japan...NEC did was big and popular, the SNES-CD was to kill nec and preempt sega, ironically that would make an early saturn a good idea for japan and maybe NEC would have improved Project Tetsujin and something better that PC-FX...but that is worthy a timeline on his own...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that the thing Ben Heck is taking apart was just a prototype and not representative of the real thing. It's still a shame that there's not a version of the finished SNES-CD out there somewhere!

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that the thing Ben Heck is taking apart was just a prototype and not representative of the real thing. It's still a shame that there's not a version of the finished SNES-CD out there somewhere!
But interesting, that prototype still keep the EXT port in the bottom of console....ummm they did planned the Satellaview that far ahead?
And more important, they didn't open that special cartidge with the BIOS and later model would have more processador...ummm did Nintendo wanted to pull a NEC-Mega Charger here, selling updates via special cartidges?

Okay, I've started replying to my PMs concerning Massively Multiplayer! I hope I haven't missed anyone but I'm sure I have, if you sent me something and I never got back to you on it please feel free to resend it to us.

I don't have an exact ETA on when I'll begin posting the TL itself. It'll probably just show up some day in August, so be on the lookout for it! I'm really excited to start working on it again and I really hope everyone is excited to start reading.

So in related news, archive.org has just scanned and uploaded a bunch of Nintendo Power magazines from the NES era all the way up until the gamecube so far. Thought that this thread would be interested in that.
Thanks for the sharing, hope for the people here can enjoy it, reading it too, what a blast for the past.

If someone do the same with Electronic Game Mazagine/monthly would be for the best.

So, somebody asked me about a bunch of different OTL people and how they're doing as of May 31, 2000 ITTL. I responded to them in a PM, but I've decided that in order to tide you guys over until Massively Multiplayer, I'll go ahead and post what I sent here as well, with some minor edits to excise certain spoilers.

Here we go:

George Clooney avoided being Batman, and stayed on ER for an extra year, until the end of the 1999-00 season. After that, he departed the show to begin filming on Ocean's Eleven, which remains largely as OTL, though Adam Sandler and Michael Madsen appear in the film in supporting roles.

Mark Zuckerberg is still in high school and still a programming whiz, though he's doing a bit more game development than IOTL. Currently he's still on track to make it big as a social media pioneer, but butterflies may steer him toward the PC gaming biz.

David Beckham is one of the top stars in Premier League, but is going through a rough patch after choking on a penalty kick to give Leeds United the championship over Manchester United by a single point. He'll rebound next year, but at the moment he's being maligned as a choker.

Tiger Woods is still kicking as much ass at golf as he was doing IOTL around this time.

Larry Page and Sergey Brin are about to become incredibly rich men as Google is on track to take over the world as it has done IOTL.

Jeff Bezos is also doing quite well as Amazon is thriving and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Randy Komisar is still doing most of the same things he did IOTL, and barring something unforeseen, will be as rich in TTL as he is IOTL.

Tom Anderson, of OTL MySpace fame, gets hired at Apple in 2000.

As of 2000, Adam Powell and Neopets are rising internet stars, as IOTL. Butterflies from TTL's events have already affected the game, which has more RPG elements and a greater emphasis on battling. Whether or not this will mean more success for the game has yet to be seen.

Monty Oum is working on fan animations for some current hit games like Squad Four: Rebellion and Velvet Dark.

Ben Croshaw has begun work on the Rob Blanc trilogy, he's still at this point known more for his adventure games than his videos.

Lindsay Ellis is starting to cultivate her love of video editing, she plays a few games on the side (with Velvet Dark being her most recent favorite as of May 2000)

Titan A.E. is about to be released with Don Bluth at the helm, as IOTL. Unfortunately, it's still not a hit, though it doesn't flop QUITE as hard as it did IOTL. He's about to lose his job with Fox Animation Studios, but another studio could come calling...

John Lasseter is still directing films at Pixar, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. He may have been influenced by some of TTL's games but that has yet to come into play.

Hayao Miyazaki is still the brilliant animation mastermind he was IOTL. Princess Mononoke is a hit, and as of 2000, he's hard at work on Spirited Away.

Andrew Stanton is currently working on the Monsters Inc. screenplay. The butterflies haven't affected Pixar all that much as of yet, but they'll begin to soon...

Butch Hartman is currently working with Seth MacFarlane on his show Larry and Steve. He never created The Fairly OddParents, but he will have a chance to pitch his own show for Cartoon Network down the line...

Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle are currently the showrunners for Princess High, which airs on the Disney Channel's Animagic block.

Craig McCracken's show The Buttkickin' Girls just ended its run of new episodes on Fox Kids, leaving him currently between jobs. He'll get another run at an animated show in due time.

Genndy Tartakovsky is about to pitch Samurai Jack to Cartoon Network.

Jeff Goode is a successful playwright who will eventually go on to unsuccessfully pitch a cartoon to Nickelodeon.

John R. Dilworth's Courage the Cowardly Dog debuted on Cartoon Network in 1999 and is doing well, it's currently the second most popular currently running Cartoon Cartoon behind Larry and Steve.

Paul Dini is working on Batman Beyond, and considering pitching his character Jingle Belle for an animated series on the upcoming Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network.

Bruce Timm is also working on Batman Beyond and Static Shock, mostly as he was doing in IOTL around this time.

Tom Ruegger is between jobs at the moment.

Michael Dante DiMartino is currently a writer on Rachael MacFarlane's Star Girl: Middle School Superhero.

Bryan Konietzko is currently a writer on the upcoming Nickelodeon animated series Constant Payne.

Viola Davis is a moderately obscure theater actress who occasionally cameos on television.

Dante Basco is a moderately obscure actor who occasionally cameos on television, though he's about to begin his voice acting career with a role in a fairly highly anticipated video game...

Chuck Lorre is currently the showrunner of Dharma and Greg.

Shonda Rhimes is currently a struggling scriptwriter making ends meet by teaching high school English in Midlothian, Virginia.

Dick Wolf is currently working on Law and Order and its spinoff, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.

Linus Torvalds is working on improving Linux, and has floated the possibility of an open-source video game system to challenge the duopoly of Nintendo and Sega. With Microsoft's entry into the console race via the unveiling of the Xbox, Torvalds has put these plans on the backburner.

Richard Stallman is still pushing heavily for the free software movement.

Jimbo Wales has just founded Nupedia (OTL's Wikipedia precursor), which has not yet published any articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.