Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sega To Lay Off More Employees, Market Share Lowest Since 1991”

This is, I think, perversely good news for SoA. The upcoming refocus under Reggie will — if it works — help convey a sense that Sega is on an upward swing, and give Reggie a certain luster he wouldn't have if SoA was merely doing a middling business. (Although it's still an open question about how much rope SoJ will give Reggie to hang himself compared to Kalinske back in the day.)

It sucks for Kalinske, who might be impatient for the guillotine blade to drop at this point, but he's at least left his successor a viable brand. Sega wasn't much of anything before Kalinske pushed and pushed and pushed the Genesis into stores using Sonic as a cudgel. Now, they're at least a viable brand name. Not in the greatest shape, but also not a loser. The competition is just too good.

Hopefully this is a "darkest before the dawn" situation for Sega. I'd hate for them to leave the console race anyway despite their relatively improved history so far.

This is, I think, perversely good news for SoA. The upcoming refocus under Reggie will — if it works — help convey a sense that Sega is on an upward swing, and give Reggie a certain luster he wouldn't have if SoA was merely doing a middling business. (Although it's still an open question about how much rope SoJ will give Reggie to hang himself compared to Kalinske back in the day.)

It sucks for Kalinske, who might be impatient for the guillotine blade to drop at this point, but he's at least left his successor a viable brand. Sega wasn't much of anything before Kalinske pushed and pushed and pushed the Genesis into stores using Sonic as a cudgel. Now, they're at least a viable brand name. Not in the greatest shape, but also not a loser. The competition is just too good.

It makes you wonder though if the cycle will just repeat due to the staggered launches of the consoles. As of now, the company with the new console out will have specs that trump anything on the current market. So the Katana will regain market share, but will lose it eventually to the Ultra's successor. Then again, Xbox will make the case for a third console platform. The question is will Reggie quickly gain the leeway to operate SoA as he sees fit?

So far we have:

SNES-CD: 1992
Saturn: December 1994 (Japan) / September 1995 (N. America)
Ultra: 1997
Katana: 2000
Presumably the Ultra's successor will be in 2002.

Hopefully this is a "darkest before the dawn" situation for Sega. I'd hate for them to leave the console race anyway despite their relatively improved history so far.

Given the detailing this timeline's console war is known as "The Chase: Sega's 20 Year Struggle To Take Down A Giant", I don't think Sega's going to leave the hardware market any time soon.

While we can speculate on how Reggie will perform at the reins of Sega of America, I can't help but wonder what the leadership of Sega of Japan will be like in the future. Unlike Nintendo's leadership, they are completely unknown to me, so it's hard to consider who would be in charge of Sega later on, especially with OTL not useful as a guide.

I do see that Hayao Nakayama, who left in 1999 OTL, is staying on to recruit Reggie. How long is he going to stay on? What kind of succession plan is there at Sega? Is he going to look at other companies (gaming and non-gaming) to find a successor (given how Sega changed owners over the years) or look internally within?

It makes you wonder though if the cycle will just repeat due to the staggered launches of the consoles. As of now, the company with the new console out will have specs that trump anything on the current market. So the Katana will regain market share, but will lose it eventually to the Ultra's successor. Then again, Xbox will make the case for a third console platform. The question is will Reggie quickly gain the leeway to operate SoA as he sees fit?

That depends on what happens with Sony and Nintendo, we know that the Big N will be facing a challenge in the coming years. If Sontendo falters, there may be an opportunity for Sega and Microsoft.

So, One Piece is partly inspired by Tales of the Seven Seas? If OTL was a fake video game-based timeline on a nerdy forum-oriented website, people would likely complain that it makes no sense for a world to have One Piece but not Tales of the Seven Seas.

Then again, the writer for that article may have overstated the influence.

Also, Bullheart sounds like a manga where a hero refuses to take the quick and easy way to power, instead relying on his own sense of justice and kindness to triumph over his enemies. That's what most Shonen Jump titles are all about! That said, I'm sure the manga would get a tremendous backlash in Spain - if it's brought there at all - mostly from the older generation campaigning against a comic that dares insult a traditional art form (my Spanish teacher said that her mother considered bullfighting an art).

Something to consider on the Pokemon Sun and Moon front and I'm just trying to rile up speculation rather then prod Ry or Nivek for answers. I wonder if Sun and Moon will allow the player to choose between a male or female trainer like OTL's Crystal. Should that be the case, I wonder if that will factor in the anime.

They also need to fix the freezes and those crashes people keep posting about. But based off of the comments of that one Treehouse guy that got fired for talking on a podcast about XBX's localization, they're not going to patch because a) NoA wants to spend as little money on XBX as possible b) NoA doesn't give a shit about JRPGs that don't involve their big franchises. The latter I'm definitely willing to believe because of Operation Rainfall.

Those are both true. It's sad, because Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of Nintendo's top selling games last year. JRPGs have fallen a long way from their popularity peak in 1994-2000, seems like the only console JRPG franchises that can be considered blockbusters anymore are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. They're much more viable on handhelds these days. I'm not sure WHAT would get JRPGs going again, maybe if Final Fantasy XV is a world-shaker.

As for Bullheart, those are good reasons, but I think for the fight scenes you guys should make the reason for the enjoyable fight scenes be because of the bull partner. Have it be because the partner is a lot more active and dynamic in the fights, making it look very innovative compared to its fellow shounen manga at that time due to the much more dynamic animal companion. I mean, in Naruto for example we only see Kiba and Akamaru in the Chuunin Exam arc. Bullheart's fights compared to the Kiba/Akamaru fights (and the animal summon fights) would be like comparing a Studio Madhouse animated fight scene with one by Hannah Barbera at their lowest point. That might keep it popular enough to stay on the SJ reader polls and thus prevent it from getting cut.

I did intend for Soba's bull companion to be a really fierce fighter. The manga has lots of action scenes and the bull and Soba fight together as partners. So that could set Bullheart apart from the rest.

Sega's in better shape in TTL 2000 than they were in OTL 1999 before the release of the Dreamcast. People ARE looking forward to the Katana, so it's only a matter of if it can deliver when it's released.

So far we have:

SNES-CD: 1992
Saturn: December 1994 (Japan) / September 1995 (N. America)
Ultra: 1997
Katana: 2000
Presumably the Ultra's successor will be in 2002.

The Katana is actually launching in North America in March 2001, it's coming to Japan in November 2000. But as time goes by, the console launches will start to get less staggered. I don't want to spoil TOO much, but two years is as big as it will get.

Given the detailing this timeline's console war is known as "The Chase: Sega's 20 Year Struggle To Take Down A Giant", I don't think Sega's going to leave the hardware market any time soon.

True, though it depends on if you think Sega's struggle began in the 80s with the Master System or in the 90s with the big Genesis push. If it's the former, Sega has less time left. If it's the latter, that takes them into the 2010s. We deliberately left that ambiguous :)

I do see that Hayao Nakayama, who left in 1999 OTL, is staying on to recruit Reggie. How long is he going to stay on? What kind of succession plan is there at Sega? Is he going to look at other companies (gaming and non-gaming) to find a successor (given how Sega changed owners over the years) or look internally within?

A lot of that will depend on how the Katana does early on.

So far its confirmed to use DVD based discs, but not movie playback. Question is, would they be willing to pay for a DVD playback license from the DVD forum.

That is a VERY important consideration. Could be a make-or-break decision for Sega...

So, One Piece is partly inspired by Tales of the Seven Seas? If OTL was a fake video game-based timeline on a nerdy forum-oriented website, people would likely complain that it makes no sense for a world to have One Piece but not Tales of the Seven Seas.

Then again, the writer for that article may have overstated the influence.

It's like 5% inspired by Tales at best. Basically, the influence is mostly on Nami's character and on another peripheral character, and there are a few very small references. One Piece would've happened without Tales (obviously, since it happened IOTL), but because Tales exists, it did in some minor ways influence One Piece.

Also, Bullheart sounds like a manga where a hero refuses to take the quick and easy way to power, instead relying on his own sense of justice and kindness to triumph over his enemies. That's what most Shonen Jump titles are all about! That said, I'm sure the manga would get a tremendous backlash in Spain - if it's brought there at all - mostly from the older generation campaigning against a comic that dares insult a traditional art form (my Spanish teacher said that her mother considered bullfighting an art).

Yeah, Bullheart is NEVER coming to Spain XD

Something to consider on the Pokemon Sun and Moon front and I'm just trying to rile up speculation rather then prod Ry or Nivek for answers. I wonder if Sun and Moon will allow the player to choose between a male or female trainer like OTL's Crystal. Should that be the case, I wonder if that will factor in the anime.

It will, and the female trainer is a major character in the anime.

Don't blame Nintendo blame Tumblr, internet forums and SJW(Or as South Park called it the Pussy crushers) and the new political corectness mania who is in the air, is a shame Fates is getting cute for idiocy reasons(Soleil is a joke characther, about a joke how a girl is more sucessful with girls that his dad, duh. Fire Emblem Amie being ditched out is awful) but that is the sin of modern day 'social media culture' this TL being published in another forum would have been trolled hard.
...Well, then...My opinion of you has lowered drastically.

Oh goody goody gumdrops, this thread has devolved into Nintendo bashing and unironic uses of SJW, just great:(

Yeah, I was hoping that sort of thing wouldn't rear its head in here. Nintendo's not thinking of Sarkeesian when making these cuts. They're thinking of Helen Lovejoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg

Also, please, can we take any further discussion of Fire Emblem/Xenoblade/Nintendo into Chat or into the video game thread? It's starting to derail the timeline and also I'm worried about people getting kicked or banned. I know some of our readers are really passionate about this issue but these discussions to tend to degenerate over time.

It will, and the female trainer is a major character in the anime.

Major as in main character or supporting character? If she's a main character, they'll need to have an alternate goal for her besides the Johto League. Much like the post-Misty girls in OTL.

It'll be interesting how it'll play out in Pokémon Adventures/Special. I'm assuming the first gen manga is similar. But considering they name the major characters after the version names, and we don't know if an 'updated third version' will be also a thing.

Did you catch my questions on Pikachu earlier?

I wonder how putting Marill as the face of the 2nd generation will fare, and will that mean for Pikachu in terms of being the face of the franchise. OTL you have things like "Hey You, Pikachu!" and "Pikachu Channel" games for consoles, and continued Pikachu appearances in Smash. Or the upcoming Detective Pikachu game. Will they try to downplay Pikachu in the second gen or will it still be visible?

Then again, considering OTL, many first generation Pokémon are very much popular with the fanbase to this very day. It'll be hard for any Pokémon to take over Pikachu's position.

That leaves the anime adapting Sun and Moon. I guess they're hoping the anime can stand on its own without Pikachu being the main Pokémon. They would be like Pokémon Adventures/Special manga in this manner, as none of the protags after the first gen heroes have Pikachu on their teams. That leaves the movies though with their Pikachu shorts, unless those shorts don't exist.

I do also wonder if the fact that Sato saw what it OTL's Ho-oh will play a role in Sun and Moon's plot. I should have suggested that for the "The New Land" intern series (which tbh it not a good subtitle to use given technically the regions and the Pokemon that inhabited there always existed, and that there would be other regions with their Pokémon to come in the future...)

Anyhow, let's shift to another subject, slightly related.

EVO just announced Pokkén Tournament in its 2016 lineup. Will a Pokémon fighting game be in the series future? And for that matter, how is the fighting game community faring regarding tournaments? Similar to OTL? I'm assuming EVO itself hasn't been butterflied yet (currently still as the "Battle by the Bay" in OTL 2000)

I think Evo will come, different name but as videogames have more impact would be easier done before(i can imagine something even use arcade if available) so figthing game scene will be, different games too(more details will be spoilers).

We've plans from pokemon but keep it simple...it will be different, how compare to otl wait how it comes ;)

As ry say before, console cycle may become more 'regularized' next gen(and people forgot how long ps2 endure so not worry about it)

Major as in main character or supporting character? If she's a main character, they'll need to have an alternate goal for her besides the Johto League. Much like the post-Misty girls in OTL.

It'll be interesting how it'll play out in Pokémon Adventures/Special. I'm assuming the first gen manga is similar. But considering they name the major characters after the version names, and we don't know if an 'updated third version' will be also a thing.

Did you catch my questions on Pikachu earlier?

Anyhow, let's shift to another subject, slightly related.

EVO just announced Pokkén Tournament in its 2016 lineup. Will a Pokémon fighting game be in the series future? And for that matter, how is the fighting game community faring regarding tournaments? Similar to OTL? I'm assuming EVO itself hasn't been butterflied yet (currently still as the "Battle by the Bay" in OTL 2000)

A main character. I'm not sure exactly what she'll be like, but there's a chance that she does end up wanting to get into the Pokemon League as well (remember, subsequent seasons will have a somewhat different formula than OTL's anime).

As for Pikachu, he'll still remain a significant part of the franchise, though Marill will have a much bigger role than IOTL obviously. Pikachu will make some appearances in the Sun and Moon anime too.

The Pikachu shorts will still appear before the movies. And as for Ho-Oh, it'll definitely have a role to play, along with Hikaoria (which will be named something different in the English version).

EVO still exists. The biggest tournaments are still Street Fighter (II, Alpha, and III) related, though Tekken, Soul, Raigeki, Hakendo, and Killer Instinct tournaments are growing in popularity as well. A Pokemon fighting game isn't currently in the cards, but we'll see later on.

On the subject of Pokemon, how is the fledgling competitive battle scene going ITTL as of yet?

The game is as balanced as generation 1 games...there is not balance ;)

But some otl glarring glitchs did were fixed before(and re-fixed in the international versions, yellow for japan is the let go competitive, RGY work as well in the west) so some moves and types are not as useless as were in Gen 1.

It might have been mentioned earlier, but is Paper Mario still made, or is going to be made?

It'll be hard to think why it would still be made, due to Square being on Nintendo's side still. Already in this timeline's E3 1999 they announced a Super Mario RPG sequel for the Ultra which features Mario and Luigi. OTL Nintendo undertook the sequel on their own with Intelligent Systems after the split with Square. (Super Mario RPG 2 was a working title for Paper Mario.)

Commander Keen Parodies Star Trek
As something of an aside to the Commander Keen “Multiverse Saga,” I thought I would touch on the Commander Keen animated series that ran from 1999 to 2001. Many fans such as myself consider it one of the best animated shows based on a video game alongside Greg Weisman’s Legend of Zelda and the SatAM incarnation of Sonic the Hedgehog. I can attribute this to Tom Ruegger as executive producer of the series, giving it a similar tone to Animaniacs and Freakazoid. He admittedly knew little of the series beforehand except what he saw when his three sons play The Universe is Toast on their Sega Saturn.

The format, for the most part, was similar to his previous work with an average of three shorts focusing on Keen’s exploits as “Defender of the Earth” and how it contrasted with his mundane terrestrial existence as 8-year-old boy genius. It was also chock full of pop cultural references and subversively adult humor that Ruegger and the writers could get past the radar of network censors. However, the series gained some notoriety with one of its rare full-length episodes known as “The Fatal Frontier.”

The episode itself was a thinly-veiled parody of Star Trek fandom and was originally written with voice actors impersonating the original cast. It was only fortuitous timing that casting and voice director, Andrea Romano cast Leonard Nimoy as the devil in all-but-name Mr. Satin for both Mars’ Most Wanted and the animated series. Nimoy happened upon a draft of “The Fatal Frontier” and suggested bringing in the cast of the Original Series. To everyone’s surprise William Shatner and DeForest Kelly agreed to lend their vocal talents to the show (Kelly recorded his lines months before his passing in June 1999). Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, George Takei, and James Doohan also returned to “reprise” their roles.

As for the plot, it bears many similarities to Galaxy Quest released a two months after its original airdate. The actors from Keen’s favourite television, Quasar Quest, find themselves abducted by aliens (voiced by Next Generation alumni Brent Spiner, Dwight Schultz, as well as series regular Rob Paulsen) to fight an alien warlord voiced by Michael Dorn. As a parody of Star Trek fandom, these aliens, called the Dwibs, resemble the principal cast of Revenge of the Nerds complete with homemade uniforms, poor hygiene, and aversion to sunlight. Keen calls them a planet of basement dwellers.

Most of the comedy comes from William Shatner’s performance an exaggerated version of himself called Bill Shattered, whose ego dwarfs the Milky Way and despised by his co-stars. He honestly believes that the very real danger they face is a reenactment of one their episodes and takes credit for Keen’s efforts to keep him from getting killed. Meanwhile, the other Quasar Quest cast members of the struggle to play the roles of their characters on the show, notably Kelly’s character (Kelsey Meadows), who is implied to be alcoholic, and Nimoy’s burnt-out and cynical counterpart.

Despite Keen’s warnings, flabby and barechested Shattered fights and loses to a lizard alien in a brief scene parodying the Gorn fight from “Arena,” which reveals the fact they are actors. Thus the rest of episode focuses on Keen and the casts’ (minus a traumatized Shattered) efforts to teach the Dwibs how to fight back. However, the problem with the original broadcast version was that time constraints forced the producers to truncate the episode to fit into 24 minutes. That meant that many of the actors outside that Kirk/Spock/McCoy trifecta didn’t receive as much attention, though they did get some memorable lines like Keen prodding Koenig’s character into using a Russian accent (“Say Nuclear Wessels!”) or getting Takei to repeat his famous, albeit from Third Rock From the Sun, “Oh my!”

Personally, my favourite is Michael Dorn’s Warlord shouting, “DWIIIIIIIBS!” right out of Revenge of the Nerds.

Despite this, “The Fatal Frontier” became one of the series’ highest-rated episodes. As with Galaxy Quest, it became popular with Trekkers disappointed with the direction of the series after Rubicon, the sudden cancellation of Voyager, and the tone of Nemesis. Ruegger later revealed in 2000 that they had originally recorded over an hour’s worth of dialogue, and even storyboarded an hour-long special just in case the studio was interested. Demand from both Commander Keen and Star Trek fans ultimately led to a rare collaboration between Warner Bros. and Paramount to co-produce a feature-length version of the episode to release for the 35th anniversary of Star Trek.

Commander Keen: The Fatal Frontier saw a limited theatrical release on September 7, 2001 followed by a tremendously successful home release on VHS and DVD. With the release of Commander Keen: Worlds United as a launch title for the Katana in March, Keen was at the apex of his popularity. Though its run was comparatively brief at two seasons and fifty-two episodes total, “The Fatal Frontier” (both broadcast and feature-length version) and its sheer amount of Star Trek references helped cement the series’ place in popular culture. Not only among video game fans, but also among animation fans and science fiction aficionados.

-from the blog "The Musing Platypus" by B. Ronning, March 17, 2013

--

This may have unfortunate butterflies for Futurama, though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.