Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well acording Wiki it would debut next month, more details will come next month or summer pop culture special, any details will ruin the fun ;)

No, Gundam Wing actually did debut a few months earlier ITTL (I stated as such in an earlier update).

As for any changes, I imagine most of the dub cast would be the same. There may be a couple of changes, Ocean getting Sailor Moon might bring alternate voice actors to the forefront earlier on which would win them roles in the Gundam Wing dub. The level of editing would be about equivalent to the TV-PG Midnight Run version IOTL (that means occasional uses of "hell" and "damn", earning the show a bit of controversy). For the most part it's unchanged. The reception is about the same as OTL, maybe a bit higher ratings since anime is more popular in general.

Yeah now remember that, in general gundam was never that 'adult' series even in japan(taking away seed sex scene) and would be get as tv-14 at worst(heck i'm yet to remember something like mutliated bodies in wing, yet Victory was infamous not graphical but emotional death on screen)

Did it will affect Endless waltz? maybe got both version(ova and movie?)

Yeah now remember that, in general gundam was never that 'adult' series even in japan(taking away seed sex scene) and would be get as tv-14 at worst(heck i'm yet to remember something like mutliated bodies in wing, yet Victory was infamous not graphical but emotional death on screen)

Did it will affect Endless waltz? maybe got both version(ova and movie?)

I've been watching the uncut version and there is some mutilated bodies(charred black with blood and protruding metal fragments). But there are a lot of on-screen deaths mostly mobile suits blowing up with pilots still inside. It's not "adult" like Hellsing but it is up there with Trigun or Cowboy Bebop.

March 2000 - Here Comes The Nova
High Stakes sold well, but I thought it was an incomplete game. I thought, 'let's do this again, let's make a true next-generation Need For Speed game'. And we were already working on Porsche Unleashed. We already had the base right there.”
-Tony Parkes, producer of Need For Speed: Unleashed

That couldn't have been better timing for us. Everybody was playing that game. So by the time The Fast and the Furious came out, people were already familiar with that world. Everybody always asks about a Fast and the Furious video game, but if you ask me, it's Need For Speed: Unleashed.”
-Vin Diesel, in an interview in the June 2003 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly

They're both compatible! It takes an extra accessory to connect your Game Boy to your Pokemon Stadium game, but whether you have the new Nova or the original Game Boy, you can import your Pokemon into the game!”
-from the March 2000 issue of Nintendo Power

Hey hey! I'm not gonna... wait up, slow down...!!! Oh man...where did that annoying little bird go?”
-Lupe, Skulls

Alone...not another human for miles. I won't get anywhere just staying here. I need to start moving. ….it's so cold! I won't survive long without shelter...”
-Doran, Phantasy Star VI: Mystery In The Wilds

Everyone could tell a new era was beginning. Microsoft was going all-in on a console. The Saturn was winding down. Nintendo's new handheld looked amazing. Things were changing so rapidly in the gaming world, and for a time, it seemed like all the news was overtaking the games!”
-Adam Sessler

-

Ultra Nintendo:

Battlezone: Rise Of The Black Dogs

EGM: 5.5 (quote: “The graphics are lackluster, so it's hard getting immersed in the game even in its better moments.”)
Gamespot: 6.8 (quote: “There are certainly better tank games out there, but the multiplayer is pretty solid and is a good way to pass a long night.”)

Breath Of Fire IV

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “This series has always been just good enough to be satisfying, and that remains true here.”)
Gamespot: 6.4 (quote: “While a capable game, it does lack the epic feel of previous series entries.”)

Galerians

EGM: 4.0 (quote: “Shoddy graphics and clunky controls make this one a horror dud.”)
Gamespot: 6.1 (quote: “When it tries to innovate, it shows promise, but it does look a bit blocky.”)

Mega Man X6 (also ported to the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 7.5 (quote: “Another exciting effort for the Blue Bomber.”)
Gamespot: 7.1 (quote: “It feels somewhat hastily made, and while it retreads familiar ground, it has just enough creativity to keep you entertained.”)

Need For Speed: Unleashed (eventually released for the Sega Katana)

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “A fast and exciting racer that hits all the right notes.”)
Gamespot: 9.2 (quote: “Gran Turismo meets Cannonball Run in this brilliant racing tour-de-force.”)

Pokemon Stadium

EGM: 8.3 (quote: “If you loved Pokemon battles, this one is definitely for you.”)
Gamespot: 8.5 (quote: “All 151 original Pokemon look fantastic in full 3-D.”)

Top Gear: Hyper Bikes

EGM: 3.0 (quote: “A real mess of a game.”)
Gamespot: 2.7 (quote: “This game just looks ugly. It might even be as bad as Motorcycle GT.”)

Triple Play 2001

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “About as mediocre as baseball games get.”)
Gamespot: 5.6 (quote: “Decent graphics can't make up for this game's lack of features.”)

Twinkle Star Adventure

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “A surprisingly cute and addictive shooter.”)
Gamespot: 7.6 (quote: “Is it girly as hell? Yes. Is it difficult as hell? Definitely yes.”)

Ultra Le Mans: 24 Hours Of Fury

EGM: 6.5 (quote: “At times, it's exhilarating, though I wish there were more variety in cars.”)
Gamespot: 7.2 (quote: “A serviceable racing game that is as much a tribute to the classic French marathon race than it is a racing game in and of itself.”)

Rage: The Revenge (also ported to the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 7.3 (quote: “While the series' storylines take a back seat to the brawling, there's plenty of that to go around.”)
Gamespot: 8.1 (quote: “An excellent beat 'em up that doesn't spend too much time trying to tell a story.”)

Skulls

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “A wonderful and colorful platformer that features a memorable protagonist.”)
Gamespot: 8.3 (quote: “More than just Frederico for girls, it has a wicked aesthetic all its own and a killer soundtrack.”)

Cluck Cluck Luck

EGM: 5.5 (quote: “Running around like a chicken with its head off is fun for a while, though eventually you'll wish this chicken really would get beheaded.”)
Gamespot: 5.2 (quote: “When will game companies learn chicken games don't work? There hasn't been a good one since Alfred Chicken.”)

Breakers

EGM: 4.0 (quote: “This is like a candy commercial turned into a game, and not in a good way.”)
Gamespot: 2.3 (quote: “Riddled with cringe-worthy slang and unlikable characters, not to mention awful platforming, Breakers has a shot at killing all the good will built up by games like Tony Hawk and White Mountain.”)

Shift Nine

EGM: 7.2 (quote: “The complex controls make this a racing game for experts only.”)
Gamespot: 8.0 (quote: “If you take the time to master this game's precise timing, Shift Nine is one of the best racing games you'll play all year.”)

Chokeout

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “We've been craving a UFC-like fighting game, but Chokeout doesn't quite go the distance.”)
Gamespot: 4.6 (quote: “It's bloody and brutal, but it doesn't succeed where it counts: the gameplay.”)

Praxis Gold (also ported to the Sega Saturn)

EGM: 5.0 (quote: “The play controls really left me disappointed.”)
Gamespot: 5.2 (quote: “Play controls mean everything in a shooter, and it's almost impossible to consistently target enemies in this game.”)

Saturn:

Phantasy Star VI

EGM: 7.7 (quote: “It falls just short of greatness, but Phantasy Star VI is still worth playing for its massive world and lovely visuals.”)
Gamespot: 7.4 (quote: “Sega's flagship RPG series is still going strong. Phantasy Star VI is flawed, but it still delivers some memorable moments.”)

Klonoa 2: The Wind Rider

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “Klonoa's back and while this game isn't the most original platformer, it still brings all the beautiful and familiar Klonoa flair.”)
Gamespot: 9.1 (quote: “Klonoa was one of the best platformers of the generation, and Klonoa 2 tops it in almost every way.”)

Pacific Fleet: Great Air Battles

EGM: 9.3 (quote: “There are some spectacularly good missions, and the incredibly realistic planes make this a must play for history buffs.”)
Gamespot: 8.9 (quote: “One of the best World War II games ever made. Not only does it recreate classic naval battles perfectly, it creates all new scenarios to experience.”)

Mori-sama Adventure

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “It's fun, it's cute, it's not your typical RPG, but Nippon Ichi has created something fairly special.”)
Gamespot: 7.8 (quote: “The Saturn is becoming the go-to system for anime-esque RPGs, and this might be the best one yet.”)

Game Boy Nova:

Super Mario Nova

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “While shorter than a typical Mario game, it plays just as good and looks gorgeous.”)
Gamespot: 8.2 (quote: “A few more secrets would've been nice.”)

Street Fighter III: The New Age

EGM: 8.2 (quote: “It's nice to have Street Fighter III in the palm of your hand.”)
Gamespot: 8.6 (quote: “It's not a straight-up port, but the handheld exclusive characters definitely distinguish this game.”)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “An almost perfect port of one of the most addictive games in years.”)
Gamespot: 8.3 (quote: “I'm not going to dock any points for not having all the songs, it's an 8MB cartridge for goodness sakes!”)

Rayman

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “The quirky visuals of this game are perfectly carried over on the Game Boy Nova.”)
Gamespot: 7.9 (quote: “A supremely fun platformer, though it seems a bit dated these days.”)

Dodgeball

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “Clumsy and slow controls mar what's otherwise a cute and original game.”)
Gamespot: 7.1 (quote: “Dodgeball is bite-sized fun, even if it's hard to get a handle on the controls.”)

-

The first proper Pokemon battling game to be released for the Ultra Nintendo was Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon Stadium 2 in Japan). It allowed players to play out 3-D battles with all 151 original Red and Green Pokemon in several different modes.

In Stadium mode, the normal single-player mode in the game, players could challenge a gauntlet of trainers in four different cups: the Pika Cup, the Petit Cup, the Poke Cup, and the Prime Cup, with difficulty and Pokemon levels increasing with each one. Players could use either their own Pokemon imported from Red and Green (provided they met the level requirements), or could use “rental” Pokemon from the game itself. Battles were 3-on-3, players used a six Pokemon team and then selected three of those Pokemon to compete in battle.

In Adventure mode, battles progressed in a bare-bones, battle-only version of Kanto, where players would move between individual locations and battle several trainers there. With each change of location, players would select a new team of Pokemon from a randomized selection of Pokemon leveled to approximately the same levels as the trainers they were facing. As you progressed through Adventure mode, you won prizes in the form of special Pokemon that could then be transferred back to your Red and Green game. Eventually, you battled the Elite Four and the league Champion, and once that was complete, if you had also beaten Stadium mode you were treated to a battle against Mewtwo, the “final boss” of the game.

In Versus mode, you could battle another trainer, either a human trainer or a trainer controlled by the CPU. Players could customize their CPU opponent with any Pokemon they wished, allowing players to train in a variety of battle situations. This customization option was a late addition to the game, but became one of Pokemon Stadium's most popular and enduring features, even if the computer AI couldn't entirely simulate a human opponent.

Then there's the Fun Park, which included a variety of side modes like mini-games and a mode to let you play your Red and Green cartridge on the Ultra Nintendo with optional speed boosts.

Pokemon Stadium was one of the year's most highly anticipated games, and sold quite well upon its release, as Pokemon fever continued in the run-up to the North American release of Pokemon Sun and Moon. With Pokemon now a household name, every release in the series was considered an event, and Pokemon Stadium continued that tradition. Within weeks of its release, a sequel covering the upcoming Sun and Moon games was announced for 2001.

-from “A History Of Pokemon On The Ultra Nintendo”, posted on the Nintendo Rewind blog, October 8, 2009

-

Sega's Phantasy Star VI was the last game in the series to be released for the Sega Saturn. A follow-up to the critically and commercially successful Phantasy Star V, the game's subtitle, Mystery In The Wilds, refers to the mysterious occurrences on the seemingly uninhabited planet of Norsia, located in the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Ships that pass anywhere near the Norsian system disappear, and over the last millennium, the occurrences have become somewhat of a legend. In another star system, a young man named Doran and his friend Elise train to become star pilots, and are recruited by Captain Winstrong, whom Doran views like an older brother, onto his ship after helping Winstrong out of trouble. When Winstrong's ship is attacked by pirates, Doran is forced to take control of the ship, but he steers it way off course and into the Norsian system. The ship's transporters go haywire and Doran finds himself awake and alone on the planet of Norsia with only the local monsters to battle. The game is actually somewhat open-ended here, when Doran reaches one of four set points he'll trigger an event that kicks off the rest of the game. Eventually, Doran reunites with Elise and another crewmember, and it's discovered that Norsia harbors a hidden civilization, completely invisible to the primary dimension. It seems that a technological accident on Norsia separated its civilization from the rest of the universe, and the Norsians capture any ships that stray too close in order to harvest their technology to keep their own civilization alive. However, the Norsians are being hunted by an extra-dimensional being that is manipulating their leaders, it seeks force them to build a technology that will allow it to enter into the physical world. Through manipulation, this being, named Atmos, succeeds in bringing itself into the primary dimension, and immediately launches an assault on all surrounding systems. Doran and his allies must destroy Atmos before its power threatens all of the universe.

Like most Phantasy Star games, Phantasy Star VI was a major hit in Japan. However, sales were quite low in North America, certainly far lower than those of Phantasy Star V. Whether it was the Saturn's fading fortunes or simply a lack of interest in Sega's RPGs in America, the game was a low point for the series' North American fortunes, and was considered to be a sales disappointment.

-excerpted from an article on Gamesovermatter.com

I'd been a champion for localizing RPGs for the Saturn, from day one. RPGs were a successful genre. When Phantasy Star VI's first sales numbers came in, it's like the universe was mocking me.”
-Tom Kalinske

-

Skulls is the latest game in a genre I like to call 'darklight'. Light-hearted games with LOTS of dark elements, games that have a sense of humor but aren't afraid to shock and horrify you. Games in this genre tend to be really good, from the Oddworld series, to the two Darkest games, and now comes Skulls, one of the most innovative platformers to hit a console in a long time.”
-from the 9/10 review of Skulls in the April 2000 issue of Game Informer magazine

The object of Skulls is really simple. You're dropped into a big wide open level, and your goal is to find the key that will open the door that will move you on to the next level. No collecting 100 coins or 50 tokens or 25 stones or whatever. It's one door, one key, in every level you're in. Now, in order to reach that key, that's the hard part! Sometimes it's just follow the arrows or the signs, kill or dodge everything in your way, there's the key. Sometimes the key is hidden really well, and the clues are really subtle. And sometimes the game throws you for a loop and you've got to trade a bunch of objects in a chain until you trade with someone who has the key, or you have to catch the little girl who has the key in a pendant around her neck, or you've got to let the giant monster swallow you and grab the key out of its stomach... you get the idea.”
-Brittany Saldita, from GameTV's coverage of Skulls on the March 7, 2000 episode

As soon as I was done recording for Lammy, my agent got a call and said, 'Sara, you did a great job and they want you to come back and do another game'. And I was so busy, I was doing Broadway and everything but my agent said 'they really want you to do this game'. So I told my agent, 'okay, tell me what it's about first and if I like it I'll see if I can squeeze it in'. As soon as I heard what the game was about, I said immediately, sign me up, let's do this. And that's how I came to play Lupe.”
-Sara Ramirez, discussing Skulls on G4's The Interview show, December 2, 2004

One of the quirkier platformers of 2000 was Skulls, which came out for the Ultra Nintendo. The game centered around a teenage girl named Lupe, who lived in Mexico and could communicate with the dead. Every year on the Day of the Dead, Lupe's “gift” becomes overwhelmingly powerful, her mind is flooded with the thoughts and wishes of the dead and she experiences incredibly powerful phenomenon. One year, the voice of a young man cuts through the fog in Lupe's mind. He pulls Lupe through a mysterious otherworldly door and shares a dance with her, and it's the only time Lupe has ever experienced the holiday without nearly going completely insane. The young man offers Lupe his hand in marriage, but she declines it and wishes to go back to her own world, sending the man into a rage and causing him to cast Lupe into the depths of the world of the dead. She's able to find a door leading herself away from his wrath, but this draws her into a world from which there's seemingly no escape and from which she must find a series of doors in order to return to her own world. As Lupe navigates the world of the dead, she encounters all sorts of environments, from cities, to mountains, to forests, and everything in-between, and meets a variety of creatures, both friendly and unfriendly.

Skulls didn't play like the typical collectathon platformer of the day. Lupe's basic controls were fairly simple, and advanced actions relied on contextual environmental cues to activate. You hunted down keys to move between worlds, and the game's stylistic graphics and Latin-inspired soundtrack were vivid and festive, but with a hint of darkness behind them. Skulls never found a mainstream audience, but became an enormous hit among certain groups of players, especially among girls. The game was ultimately successful enough to spawn a franchise, and Lupe is perhaps the most popular Latina character in video game history.

-From “2000's Top Ten Platformers- #3: Skulls”, a top ten list posted on GameFAQs.com, June 18, 2012

-

Two years later, and after Klonoa has become somewhat of a phenomenon, the highly anticipated sequel finally drops for the Sega Saturn. Does it succeed? For the most part, yes. Klonoa 2: The Wind Rider has everything fans loved about the original Klonoa. The tight platforming gameplay. The big, beautiful worlds. The gorgeous soundtrack. The challenging bosses. It keeps the formula largely the same. The one big change is the new “glider mode”, where Klonoa takes to the skies in gameplay somewhat similar to that of NiGHTS Into Dreams... It mostly takes place during boss battles (nearly every boss battle in the game is fought in this mode), and occasionally certain levels send you into this mode as well to traverse large areas. It's somewhat of a mixed bag, as the controls are a bit difficult to master, and especially during tough boss fights can be frustrating.

(…)

Klonoa 2 will certainly please fans of the original game, and will likely bring new Klonoa fans along for the ride as well. It's one of the Saturn's few bright spots in a year that sees the system's lineup thinning out somewhat, and it's pleasing to see such a beautiful, whimsical game that really does push the system quite hard in one of its later years. There's a reason fans fell in love with Klonoa, and the sequel, though it has a few bumps, should go equally far.

Score: 8/10

-from the Official Saturn Magazine review of Klonoa 2: The Wind Rider, in the March 2000 issue

Klonoa Still A Marketing Force

Klonoa: Door To Phantomile made a big splash when it launched for the Sega Saturn in late 1997 in Japan and early 1998 in North America and Europe. A line of toys soon followed, and though the animated TV series plan ultimately fell through (likely because of the launch of the Commander Keen animated series), Klonoa is still one of Sega's most popular mascots, with a presence already ensured on the upcoming Katana system (Klonoa 3 is planned for the Katana sometime in 2001). Early Klonoa 2 sales have been strong (it should easily be the Saturn's top selling game of the month), and a new line of merchandise featuring characters from the new game should start hitting stores this summer. In a year that hasn't seen much in the way of good news for Sega, Klonoa continues to be one of the Saturn's premier franchises, and a light in the darkness for the company.

-posted on GamesUpdate.com, April 5, 2000

-

Need For Speed: Unleashed builds significantly on High Stakes. Its graphical engine is a vast improvement over the previous game, and it nearly doubles the amount of available cars for the player to collect. It also contains a significantly improved career mode, giving the player many more options about how they wish to progress through the game. Unlike in High Stakes, you're no longer required to compete in any all or nothing “pinks” races to advance, preventing the player from needing to risk a beloved, expensive car in order to progress through the game. While racing for 'pinks' is no longer required, it's a significantly larger optional component of the game, with many of the game's best cars only available by risking your own, and opposing racers given their own personalities and spoken dialogue, making races a lot more intense.”
-excerpted from IGN's 10/10 review of Need For Speed: Unleashed

Fight Breaks Out At Need For Speed Midnight Release

An EBGames location in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida reported a fight after two shoppers got into an altercation over what was apparently the last copy of Need For Speed: Unleashed available for purchase. The store claims to have oversold its pre-orders, significantly overestimating the number of copies it would have available. When a store manager reported that the store's pre-order allotment was gone, the next person waiting in line got into an argument with another individual who'd received their copy of the game, and a fight began. The two men, both of whom had sustained minor cuts and bruises in the brawl, were arrested by police.

-excerpted from an article posted on Gamestop.com, March 13, 2000

A fight over Need For Speed? A fight over Gran Turismo 2 I could understand, but Need For Speed? Really?”
-a comment posted on GameFAQs.com on March 13, 2000

-

One of the most unnecessary sequels of all time was Mega Man X6. After the masterpiece that was Mega Man X5 exceeded sales expectations and seemed to revitalize the series, X6 brought back Mega Man X for a largely paint-by-numbers affair. Since X5 had killed off Sigma, X6 introduced a new villain, Count Argus, who was basically Sigma with a vaguely European accent and a goofy costume. You fought eight new animal-themed robot minions, got their powers, assaulted Argus' castle (which, okay, I'll admit, was a damn cool looking place, even niftier than any of Wily's lairs), and took down the bad guy in the most generic Mega Man X game to date.

It wasn't a BAD game. There weren't any real glitches, it wasn't terribly boring, some of the boss designs were cool, and I'll even admit that the final boss battle, which saw Argus turning into a wicked looking bat because hey, vampire robots are cool, was one of the best in the whole series. But the whole damn thing was an obvious cash grab by Capcom and as cookie cutter a Mega Man X game as it possibly gets. And considering the Mega Man series in general, that's saying something! Fans didn't buy it. No, they literally didn't buy it, sales weren't even a third of what Mega Man X5 got. It showed Capcom that just because you can do a new Mega Man X game doesn't mean you should, and the series was shelved in favor of the Mega Man Zero series, while Capcom went back to the drawing board. Mega Man would once again be back and in a new form, but that's gonna have to wait for next time.”
-from Sazebot's “Mega Man Retrospective” series, posted on Youtube.com on July 23, 2011

Is Capcom Losing Its Originality?

Breath of Fire IV and Mega Man X6 were supposed to be big hits for Capcom. New installments of series that have been popular since the Super Nintendo days, these games launched amidst a wave of magazine articles and internet hype, but critical reaction for both has been mixed, fans have been even crueler, and early sales figures for both games are extremely disappointing. You know it's a bad month for you when your handheld game (in this case Street Fighter III for the Game Boy Nova) is getting a much better reception than either of your console titles. So what gives? The negativity for both games largely stems from the games being considered unoriginal, Breath Of Fire IV is considered a “generic” RPG and Mega Man X6 is considered to be rushed and not nearly as creative or exciting as X5. Is this a trend for Capcom, or will the company bounce back?

Longtime Capcom fans shouldn't fear. Its recent Resident Evil: Code Veronica was one of last year's best reviewed games, and the company has a slew of upcoming titles, both original and sequels, that are already stirring plenty of fan anticipation. As far as sequels go, Capcom is releasing Iron Battalion, a sequel to 1996's Iron Combatant that showcases a massive (and expensive) new controller that replicates the controls of an actual giant mech cockpit. The company just finished showing off the game at the 2000 Game Developers' Conference, and early reviews of the controller are stellar. It's also releasing the futuristic racing title Booststream, which showcases futuristic neon versions of famous Japanese cities and is said to be a more accessible take on F-Zero. And for the Saturn, Capcom is launching The Savateur, a brawler that takes place in 19th century Paris. Capcom is also said to be planning games for Sega's upcoming Katana and possibly for Microsoft's Xbox system as well, ensuring the company will continue to release a steady stream of games well into the future.

-excerpted from an article posted on March 28, 2000 at Gamespot.com

-

American Beauty Sweeps Oscars

As was expected, the film American Beauty won every Oscar it was nominated for, including Best Picture, Best Director (Sam Mendes), Best Actor (Kevin Spacey), Best Actress (Annette Bening), Best Supporting Actress (Thora Birch), Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Film Editing, and Best Cinematography. One of the more intriguing storylines of the night was the animated film The Iron Giant, which was nominated for Best Picture and which some analysts predicted may have had an outside shot at taking down the juggernaut, but it ultimately wasn't to be. American Beauty becomes one of the biggest Oscar winners of the past decade, winning a total of nine awards, the first film to do so since The Last Emperor in 1987. Another of the night's most intriguing storylines involved the creators of South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, coming up to the podium to accept their Oscar for Best Original Song (“Up There” from South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut) in a pair of dresses.

-from a Yahoo! News report on March 27, 2000

Matt and Trey wanted me to show up to the Oscars in a dress too. I thought it was a hilarious idea, and I would've done it, but my friend John Lasseter said to me 'Brad, you've got a legitimate shot at winning Best Picture, are you really going to go up to get your Best Picture award in a dress?' If I'd known American Beauty was going to do so well I probably would've done it!”
-Brad Bird

-

Game Boy Nova Technical Specifications

The Game Boy Nova looks very similar to an OTL Nintendo DS, with a wide, clamshell design. There's a screen on the top of the device, while the bottom houses a speaker and the buttons, a standard D-pad on one side and A/B/X/Y buttons on the other, a pair of shoulder buttons with additional Start/Select buttons as well. It comes in blue and red originally, with other colors available later on. The device has built-in memory storage (8MB, mostly used for saving Game Boy Camera pictures and old Game Boy saves) with space for a small 1MB memory card that can be used to move data back and forth. The system also has hook-ups for multiplayer link cables and for accessories (such as a connector cable to the Ultra Nintendo, this will also be compatible with the Ultra Nintendo's successor).

Internally, the system is quite similar to OTL's PSX console, with a 38 Mhz MIPS unified processor powering both the system and its graphics. Its sound chip, designed by Ken Kutaragi, is far better than the one in OTL's Game Boy Advance, and games sound exceptionally good through the system's fairly large speaker. It has 4MB of RAM, and houses a rechargeable battery capable of going 4-6 hours on a single charge, with a fully backlit screen. Games are stored on cartridges similar to those of the original Game Boy only a bit bigger, cartridges range from 8-128 megabytes. The system is somewhat bulky (similar to OTL's “phat” DS) due to the need for a large internal battery, later on the system would get a smaller redesign but at the time of its release the size is considered a necessary concession.

The system is quite powerful, more powerful than the SNES-CD (though because it uses cartridges as opposed to CDs, SNES-CD games trump Nova games in many areas, most notably FMV and voice acting). It's somewhere in-between OTL's Game Boy Advance and OTL's Nintendo DS. It's capable of running ports of SNES-CD games and even many Saturn games when memory isn't a concern. Compression is used to achieve much of what has been achieved in CD versions of ported games, developers become quite adept at using compression tricks by the end of the system's run.

March 26, 2000

The Game Boy Nova is released in North America, at $169.99. It is released alongside eight launch titles: Super Mario Nova, Street Fighter III: The New Age, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman, Dodgeball, The Iron Giant, Madden 2000, and Tika In Trouble (an original TTL platformer that gets mixed-to-negative reviews). Despite the expensive price tag, the Nova sells briskly upon release (partially due to anticipation for the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon). It's not an instant sellout like the Ultra Nintendo was, but it's definitely the best launch week ever for a gaming handheld, and excellent reviews from game publications (and a steady stream of good games) keep the Nova's sales strong throughout the rest of the year. The best seller of the launch titles is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, with Street Fighter III in second and Rayman a respectable third. Madden 2000 is also a decent seller, though The Iron Giant, Dodgeball, and Tika In Trouble report poor sales (Iron Giant is your typical bad movie-to-game adaptation, Dodgeball is just a tough sell in general, and Tika In Trouble is a mediocre game).

Game Boy Nova Launch Titles: The Basics

Super Mario Nova- The first real side-scrolling Mario game since Super Mario World 2, it plays much like that game did, with the addition of a special fireball upgrade that makes Mario temporarily invincible and lets him shoot bigger fireballs (It's called, appropriately, Nova Mario). It contains six levels in all: a grass world, a desert world, an ice world, a jungle world, a cave world, and a fire world where Bowser lives, it features the option to play as Luigi right from the start (similarly to The Lost Levels), and it also includes Yoshi in a number of levels. The plot is typical “rescue Peach from Bowser”-type fare. It's Mario comfort food, but it's a good game and probably the best received of the launch titles.

Street Fighter III: The New Age- A streamlined Street Fighter III game (with only eleven of the characters retained from the console version of the game), it's not quite a port, as it features, in addition to a bunch of new musical tracks and stages, the addition of three entirely new characters in addition to the already existing 11: a Catholic schoolgirl-type character named Grace, a wildman/beast tamer character named Bearclaw, and a new villain character named Kastor, who drives the plot of the game itself. Grace and Bearclaw appear on the cover of the game along with Ryu, Guile, Ken, and Chun-Li, and the game features some subtle control changes as well to optimize it for the handheld system. It's considered to be a good game and, because of the major changes to Street Fighter III, worth playing even for those familiar with the arcade/console original.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater- A port of the original console game. The biggest downgrade from the console original is the removal of most of the songs (for memory capacity reasons), other than that it's a nearly perfect port, its graphics actually compared favorably to the Saturn version of the game.

Dodgeball- This is essentially OTL's Super Dodgeball Advance, though with some butterfly-induced changes and slightly better graphics, along with more precise controls due to the presence of additional buttons.

Rayman- A perfect port of the original Rayman. Michel Ancel is so impressed by the Nova's capabilities that the success of the Rayman port inspires him not only to create a Nova-exclusive series of Rayman games for the device, but to port The Darkest Ritual to the Nova as well.

-

Ted Crosley: I hate to say it, but I found myself enjoying Pokemon Stadium a lot more than I should've.

Alex Stansfield: You can never enjoy Pokemon Stadium enough!

Ted: Playing through the Adventure mode is a blast since you've constantly got to build a new team, you can be trying out new Pokemon, new strategies, you'll find yourself using Pokemon you never thought you'd use... I blitzed through Koga's gym with a level 37 Tauros. Just obliterated it, it was a really fun time.

Alex: And the mini-games are a lot of fun too.

Ted: Don't push your luck, there's only so much I can take of making a Pikachu run on a treadmill.

Alex: It's a good break from the intense battling, though!

Ted: No it's not, it's boring! I'd rather see this-

*Footage is shown of Pikachu unleashing a Thunderbolt*

Ted: Than this...

*Footage is shown of the Pikachu treadmill minigame*

Alex: Well, Pokemon Stadium is a really fun package all the way around and I'm giving it a 4.5 out of 5.

Ted: I'll give it a 4, but just barely.

Alex: You're starting to come around on the whole Pokemon thing!

Ted: Remind me not to come to work once Sun and Moon are out.

-excerpted from the March 7, 2000 episode of GameTV

(…)

Steve Horton: I welcomed the changes. Rage: The Revenge is all about fighting and that's what it needs to be, screw the story, I'm punchin' stuff!

Gary Westhouse: The main attraction of the Rage series for me has ALWAYS been the story. Without it, it's just another brawler. The story's just your standard “somebody close to me is dead, it's time for revenge” plotline and that's gotten so old in these types of games.

Steve: It's as good a reason as any to beat somebody up though!

Gary: The original Rage game, everybody had their own motivation, everybody was fighting for a reason besides just revenge.

Steve: Really? Because I played it and pretty much everybody was fighting for revenge even in that game.

*A brief series of snippets from the original Rage is shown and despite the vastly larger number of available fighters, it's true that nearly all of them were motivated by revenge*

Gary: ...hunh.

Steve: Uh-huh, told you so!

Gary: My point stands, it's still just a generic brawler!

Steve: No love for the new 360 bodyslam?

Gary: Not when it's the only damn move you use in a level. Don't you get tired of watching that animation?

Steve: Nope!

Gary: *sighs* Rage: The Revenge is a real disappointment, I'm giving it a 3.

Steve: It's an excellent brawler and I'm giving it a 4.5.

(…)

Lyssa: Nippon Ichi has done something really creative with Mori-sama Adventure. It's the type of game that almost NEVER sees the light of day here in America, but if you're an RPG fan, do yourself a favor and check it out!

Alex: A fair warning, the battle system is really tough to master.

Lyssa: It's pretty simple actually, the more Mori-sama clones you have, the more damage you'll do! Also, the more you'll get hurt, but if you can kill the enemy before they kill you, who cares?!

Alex: The storyline's overly sugary and saccharine...

Lyssa: Even for me!

Alex: But with that said, it's a really unique game and I'll go ahead and give it a 3.5.

Lyssa: If you like games like Andrekah, Thousand Arms, it's right up your alley.

Alex: Andrekah's not an RPG.

Lyssa: True, but you do play a hyperactive little waif who goes around helping lots of people and getting into lots of trouble. She's a BIT more annoying than Andrekah but you'll fall in love just the same. I'm giving it a 4!

(…)

Brittany Saldita: Pacific Fleet is just a brilliant game. I mean, air combat is one of my least favorite genres but I was sucked into this one from the opening battle.

Ted: Yeah, it's hard to beat the Battle of Midway for excitement and action. Look, um... there's not much I can say that's really bad about this one. It's an incredible game and even if you've never touched the genre before, give this one a chance, it will change your perception of the genre tremendously.

Brittany: It's historically accurate...when it needs to be. When it doesn't, when the game decides it would be more fun to throw the history book out the window, out the window it goes!

Ted: But it's a VIDEO GAME.

Brittany: Right, and even when it gets serious and educational, Pacific Fleet never ever forgets that it's a video game. Not in the 'oh look it's a UFO!' kind of way that some games do, but just in really really subtle ways. It stays serious, it stays historical, but it never gets boring.

Ted: Flying a World War II plane in real life...not fun. Flying one in this game...LOTS of fun! I saw you playing this in your dressing room, AFTER you'd turned in your review, I'm assuming it's because you couldn't get enough?

Brittany: I really want to go back and play it right now, my hand feels empty without that controller in it...

Ted: Isn't that how we all feel though?

Brittany: Most of the time yeah.

Ted: So yeah, a clear 5 out of 5 from me.

Brittany: I'm giving Pacific Fleet a 5 out of 5 also.

*An air raid siren goes off*

Ted: Duck and cover!

*Ted and Brittany throw themselves to the floor*

Brittany: Wait...I think that's just the Hall of Fame siren.

Ted: Oh, right!

*Ted and Brittany take a framed copy of Pacific Fleet: Great Air Battles up to the Hall of Fame wall.*

Ted: And up we go! It's been a while since we put a Saturn game up- oh wait no it hasn't! *points to Resident Evil: Code Veronica*

Brittany: *smirks* Okay, gloaty.

-excerpted from the March 14, 2000 episode of GameTV

(...)

Alex: I'm bummed. Breath of Fire IV bummed me out.

Brittany: Yeeeeeeah... the graphics were...okay. The music was...okay.

Alex: Every time I expected the game to throw me for a loop, it didn't! Oh look, here's Ryu again. Oh look, he can turn into a dragon...again.

Brittany: Nothing new, nothing surprising...it's an RPG and it's just a perfectly average one. Their RPGs are starting to become like their Mega Man games.

Alex: Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. WHOA. No. *shaking his head angrily*

Brittany: What, it's true!

Alex: No, Mega Man is still awesome! Mega Man X6 was great!

Brittany: *cocking her head to the side* Really?

Alex: It's DIFFERENT for action games.

Brittany: How is it different?! Like, okay, here's the deal. Final Fantasy. The basic elements stay the same, but they change everything else between titles. EVERYTHING. But Breath of Fire is basically the same game from one to the next. Okay, II had religious themes. That was the only thing that stood out from any of them. Mega Man, same deal.

Alex: But X6 still feels different! Different weapons, different bosses... ugh, why are we even talking about Mega Man X6 again?

Brittany: I have no idea. But the point's the same. Breath Of Fire IV, way too derivative, way too plain, 2 out of 5.

Alex: 2 out of 5 here too. And Mega Man X6 is still awesome.

Brittany: When's the next Legends coming out, those are good games...

(...)

Ted: All right guys, before we go, I want from each of you: last word on the Game Boy Nova, and best launch game. Alex, go.

Alex: Game Boy Nova is awesome. It looks awesome, it feels awesome, it's just awesome to have that much power in my hands. And Super Mario Nova is the best launch game, brings back all my good Super Mario World 2 memories. Only drawback, the Nova needs more RPGs.

Brittany: Agreed. And yeah, I felt like this thing has a ton of potential. I could have done with a bit more battery life, but I guess I can just keep it plugged in at home. And my favorite launch game was probably Street Fighter III: The New Age. Grace kicks ass!

Steve: This thing's sweet. It's got the extra buttons I need to play great games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, which, by the way, is my favorite launch game.

Gary: It's more powerful than the damn Neo Geo! Can you believe it? I paid out the ass for a Neo Geo back in the day, and now this little thing that fits in my pocket-

Lyssa: Not my pocket...

Gary: Get bigger pockets. But yeah, it's just an amazing little device.

Lyssa: It's not little!

Gary: *snickers* I loved Street Fighter III.

Lyssa: It's too big, I have these tiny little hands...

Brittany: *puts one of her hands on Lyssa's, it's barely bigger* My hands are small too and I did just fine.

Lyssa: I got sore holding it. *Brittany goes “Awww...” and starts rubbing one of Lyssa's hands* But when I wasn't sore, I had a lot of fun playing Super Mario Nova on it.

Ted: Well, I also thought it was a bit bulky, but it's still a pretty kickass little system and I had a ton of fun with Super Mario Nova, and Street Fighter, and Rayman.... Super Mario's my fave but any of those three. Oh, Tony Hawk too.

-excerpted from the March 21, 2000 episode of GameTV

-

Ultra Nintendo Power Charts: March 2000

1. Squad Four: Rebellion
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Resident Evil: Operation Stormwind
4. Deathblow II
5. The Legend Of Zelda: Temple Of Time
6. Ultra Donkey Kong Country
7. Emergency
8. Final Fantasy Collection
9. Super Smash Bros.
10. WWF Wrestlemania 2000

The Official Saturn Magazine Buzz Chart: March 2000

1. Soul Calibur
2. Klonoa 2: The Wind Rider
3. Turok III: Generation War
4. Phantasy Star VI
5. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
6. Sonic The Hedgehog 5
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
8. Rage: The Revenge
9. Pacific Fleet: Great Air Battles
10. Silent Hill

-

Gore All But Clinches Nomination, McCain Surges Ahead On Super Tuesday

Al Gore is now almost certain to be the Democratic presidential nominee after sweeping Super Tuesday's slate of primaries and caucuses, including the all-important California primary. Though Bradley initially looked like he might provide a strong challenge to Gore in early polls, once the actual contests began, Bradley's perceived support withered, and now Al Gore has a commanding lead in delegates and appears ready to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination.

There's a much more exciting race going on in the Republican field, as John McCain has survived a fierce round of attack ads by his rival George W. Bush, and has emerged from Super Tuesday with a very slight lead in delegates after winning several key states, including California by a tight margin. McCain's success can be attributed to going on the offensive against Bush, attacking Bush's record as governor of Texas, and also attacking Bush's service in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War. While Bush has reacted strongly against the attacks, they've been largely effective. McCain has not only performed strongly amongst veterans, he's also managed to pull over Democratic voters who have chosen to sit out their party's primary. While McCain currently leads by only 37 delegates, he's polling strongly in Colorado and Florida, which look to be key battleground states going forward.

Also making headlines is Donald Trump, who looks to be the Reform Party nominee after his rival, former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura, announced the suspension of his campaign.

-excerpted from a Yahoo! News report on March 8, 2000

-

While the 2000 Game Developers Conference lacked the glitz and glam of this year's upcoming E3 event, a number of blockbuster announcements and major presentations were given, setting the tone for the upcoming year in video games and beyond.

Bill Gates himself was on hand to formally unveil the Microsoft Xbox, which now has a presumptive release window of sometime during the second half of 2001. Gates showed off the new console and, in his presentation, stated how he hopes to “bring the worlds of cyberspace and the living room together like never before”, promising cutting-edge online capabilities, along with the latest and best in graphics and realism. Early preview footage looked somewhat similar to that of Sega's Katana system, though a promising tech demo hinted that the Xbox might have slightly better graphical capabilities. The only game promised for the new Xbox was a port of the 1997 PC hit The Witcher, and Gates claimed that the Xbox was the “only console capable of conveying the game's massive open world”.

Sega also had an impressive showing, demonstrating both their new Katana system and several new games, including a demonstration of Phantasy Star Online that showed how the game's interactive network would function. Players from all over the world will be able to team up and embark on quests together, and the game looked both technologically impressive and, from a gameplay standpoint, quite entertaining. They also teased a Katana Shenmue sequel, though no in-game footage was shown. A pair of Saturn games were shown off as well: Vintage Speed Series, a racing game where players can choose from dozens of vintage race cars, and Extremis, Sega's highly anticipated horror title. Extremis showed gameplay footage of the main character fleeing from a hideously mutated bull as he explored a massive farm complex, and looked both terrifying and exciting.

While Nintendo itself was a no-show, Sony showed off a few upcoming titles, including Gran Turismo 2, Tales Of The Seven Seas: The Victorian Legacy, and its new RPG, Wrath and Ruin. Gran Turismo 2 looked incredibly impressive, with graphics that looked amazing even for the Ultra Nintendo, and the Tales Of The Seven Seas presentation even featured an appearance from Victoria's voice actress, Olivia D'Abo.

Microsoft's Xbox was definitely the talk of the town, and Bill Gates looked all too happy to field questions from reporters. Indeed, it was probably the happiest and most excited we've seen him in a great long while. Microsoft might be treading on dangerous ground stepping into the ring with the titans Nintendo and Sega, but if enthusiasm could translate into sales, the Xbox is poised to have an Ultra Nintendo-like run of success.

-from the May 2000 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly

What's the resolution on the Nova screen? Given that we only know its widescreen in aspect ratio. GBA's screen resolution was 240 x 160. DS was 256 x 192. 3DS is 400 x 240. And for good measure, PSP was 480 × 272.

And 8-128 MB for cart sizes? OTL GBA had 32 MB maximum. Can they fit 128 MB into a size of a OTL Game Boy cartridge? Even so, it'll be mighty expensive.

What's the pricing on GBN games like? Similar to GBA games?

Trump going after the presidency in 2000. Hopefully he isn't like OTL 2016 Trump. Then again, this is Trump we're talking about.

However, Jessie Ventura going after the presidency instead of a governorship. Who's Minnesota's governor then?

So Gore v. McCain v. Trump? Interesting. This should be good.
Great update! Good to see that SEGA's still getting some good stuff out in the twilight of the Saturn's lifecycle.

What's the resolution on the Nova screen? Given that we only know its widescreen in aspect ratio. GBA's screen resolution was 240 x 160. DS was 256 x 192. 3DS is 400 x 240. And for good measure, PSP was 480 × 272.

And 8-128 MB for cart sizes? OTL GBA had 32 MB maximum. Can they fit 128 MB into a size of a OTL Game Boy cartridge? Even so, it'll be mighty expensive.

What's the pricing on GBN games like? Similar to GBA games?

Trump going after the presidency in 2000. Hopefully he isn't like OTL 2016 Trump. Then again, this is Trump we're talking about.

However, Jessie Ventura going after the presidency instead of a governorship. Who's Minnesota's governor then?

Nova is 320x240.

Nova carts share some similarities with OTL N64 carts (which were 4-64 MB), since the Nova is 3 years on tech-wise I'm assuming they could squeeze more onto a smaller size of cart. Early carts would be in the 8-32 MB range but eventually they could get 128 MB carts going for big RPGs and the like.

Pricing ranges from $29.99-$44.99. Of the launch games, Street Fighter III is $34.99 while the others are $29.99. There are only two or three $44.99 games in the history of the Game Boy Nova, I'll let you know about those when they come.

2000 Trump isn't nearly as politically "popular" as 2016 Trump. He's not going to win but he'll definitely make things more interesting XD

Norm Coleman won the election in Minnesota.

Nova is 320x240.

Isn't that a 4:3 aspect ratio? That kinda contradicts the first Nova reveal at the '98 Spaceworld.

SPACEWORLD: Nintendo's Big Show

It's been nearly two-and-a-half years since Nintendo last had a big show at Shoshinkai, but we're finally back and Nintendo made some major announcements at this year's show, while exhibiting more than a dozen new games for its various platforms.

First and foremost, of course, was the announcement of a new piece of hardware from Nintendo: the long-awaited successor to the Game Boy and the Game Boy Color. The new handheld is called the Game Boy Nova, and it's a true quantum leap from anything that's come before it. The new system, which has a clamshell design, with the screen (a wide screen in fact!) on top and the controls on the bottom. The rectangular handheld has controls similar to those found on the Super Nintendo, with four face buttons, the familiar A, B, X, and Y, along with two shoulder buttons, a Start button, a Select button, and a D-pad. The graphics are superb, this system is capable of anything the Super Nintendo CD could do, and some games even approached a few lesser Saturn titles in graphical fidelity. The games were divided between detailed 2-D and some nice 3-D, and the 3-D on some games exceeded what we saw in Squad Four: Eclipse, considered to be the best 3-D on the SNES-CD.

2000 Trump isn't nearly as politically "popular" as 2016 Trump. He's not going to win but he'll definitely make things more interesting XD

Norm Coleman won the election in Minnesota.
Say what you want about Trump, he's never boring.

Is TTL's 2000 Gore like OTL's, or is more like OTL's post-beard Gore?
Because OTL's 2000 Gore WAS Boring (with a capital B), the most interesting to come out his campaign was Darrel Hammond's impression on SNL, especially the
"Lockbox" sketch. (although without W's "Strategery" to go with it, that sketch probably gets butterflied away.)

Say what you want about Trump, he's never boring.

Is TTL's 2000 Gore like OTL's, or is more like OTL's post-beard Gore?
Because OTL's 2000 Gore WAS Boring (with a capital B), the most interesting to come out his campaign was Darrel Hammond's impression on SNL, especially the
"Lockbox" sketch. (although without W's "Strategery" to go with it, that sketch probably gets butterflied away.)

A TEENY bit less boring than OTL but still pretty boring. McCain could give him trouble even being stronger than OTL.

And right, I forgot about that. 360x240, not quite "wide" widescreen but still wider than the original Gameboy's.

April 2000 - Velvet Dark/The End Of An Era At Sega
I'd be lying if I said Velvet Dark hasn't been influenced by a lot of the sci-fi material that's come out over the past decade... including some video games.”
-Martin Hollis, in an interview in the April 2000 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly

The controversial feature allows you to put the face of anyone you want into the game. Some parents say it's a recipe for trouble.”
-from a local news broadcast on April 19, 2000, discussing Velvet Dark's controversial face-mapping feature

LOL I put that dumb mom's picture on a meat sim and went to town”
-a comment on GameFAQs' Velvet Dark message board, discussing the local news broadcast about the face-mapping controversy

We were lucky to lose him at a time we didn't really need to heavily promote the game.”
-Tim Stamper, speaking about Reggie Fils-Aime's departure from Rare right around the time of Velvet Dark's release

Anime's influence is in everything now, isn't it? I remember when I first started on Sci-Fi and hardly anybody watched, but now everybody's watching anime and I can't wait to see what this decade brings.”
-”Live Action Anime Girl” Apollo Smile, discussing anime and her role as Ulala in Space Channel Ulala in an interview on the April 25, 2000 episode of GameTV

(Dive) Into Adventure”
-the new Nintendo slogan, rolled out for commercials and advertisements beginning in April 2000, what proceeded “into adventure” would change depending upon the game, the above slogan was used for Wave Race: Ultramarine

I've spent a decade at Sega, and I've had the privilege of seeing this company go from an upstart competitor in the electronic gaming business to a titan of the industry. It would not have been possible without the hard work of thousands of diligent programmers, marketers, designers, developers, and countless others. As Sega transitions into a new millennium, I sincerely hope I've left this company better than when I joined it. My time here has been filled with challenges, but also with opportunities. That is what Sega gave me a decade ago: an opportunity, and I've gained more here than I can possibly relate in this letter.”
-from Tom Kalinske's letter of resignation from Sega of America

-

Ultra Nintendo:

Animastar (also released on Sega Saturn)

EGM: N/A
Gamespot: 6.0 (quote: “It's another Pokemon clone, but there are some unique aspects that set it apart from typical monster games.”)

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Ultra Slugfest

EGM: 8.5 (quote: “An excellent baseball sim and probably the best baseball game available for the Ultra Nintendo.”)
Gamespot: 8.9 (quote: “The graphics and presentation are both superb. This game definitely brings the heat.”)

Ninja Gaiden Fury

EGM: 6.5 (quote: “Crippling difficulty I can handle, but poorly designed stages really hampered my enjoyment of this one.”)
Gamespot: 7.7 (quote: “The transition to 3-D isn't a perfect one for Ninja Gaiden, but it's still a really satisfying game.”)

San Francisco Rush 2 (later ported to Sega Saturn)

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “A great year for racing games gets even better with this excellent arcade style racer.”)
Gamespot: 7.3 (quote: “The single-player mode is a bit short, but there's some decent replay value.”)

The Ring: Terror's Realm

EGM: 4.0 (quote: “The book was way, way better.”)
Gamespot: 3.8 (quote: “A majorly disappointing game, with a completely uninspired story.”)

Ultra Bomberman 3

EGM: 7.3 (quote: “Another solid entry in the Bomberman series.”)
Gamespot: 7.1 (quote: “It doesn't improve much on previous Bomberman titles but it's still plenty of fun.”)

Ultra Bust-A-Move 2

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “An exciting puzzler with some fantastic new modes, Ultra Bust-a-Move 2 starts out fun and stays that way.”)
Gamespot: 5.5 (quote: “And 3-D mode is one of the most frustrating parts of this game, with really tricky controls.”)

Velvet Dark

EGM: 10 (quote: “A masterpiece and the perfect successor to the incredible Goldeneye 007.”)
Gamespot: 9.5 (quote: “The plot occasionally gets convoluted, but the gameplay overrides that flaw.”)

Wave Race: Ultramarine

EGM: 8.3 (quote: “It sure looks pretty, and plays as good as it looks.”)
Gamespot: 8.7 (quote: “Thank goodness they included more courses. Still, the gameplay, though still fun, could have done with a few more updates.”)

Ultra Storm Guardians

EGM: 6.0 (quote: “It falls flat in a number of ways, but when it works, it can be quite fun.”)
Gamespot: 7.3 (quote: “It's a fun beat-em-up with some really likable characters, but isn't anything special.”)

Future Fear: Escape The Arena

EGM: 8.7 (quote: “It's such a fun game, especially when you find yourself against a hoard of pursuers.”)
Gamespot: 7.8 (quote: “Is the plot of this game the best? No, but the voice actors do sell it really well.”)

Booststream

EGM: 7.8 (quote: “Definitely easier than Ultracharged, so those of you looking for a fast paced racing game but find F-Zero frustrating should give it a try.”)
Gamespot: 7.7 (quote: “The futuristic graphics show incredible creativity on the part of the designers.”)

Shujinko

EGM: 6.7 (quote: “With some of the most interesting characters you'll ever meet in an RPG, it tries its best to distinguish itself from the crowd.”)
Gamespot: 5.3 (quote: “There's just not much creative about this other than the character design.”)

Paws Out

EGM: 4.5 (quote: “Could this platformer BE a bigger rip-off of Dog Dash?”)
Gamespot: 5.1 (quote: “So yes, Paws Out is basically Dog Dash with a girl. If it had any charm, it might be worth playing, but the level design is really uninspired.”)

The Highlands

EGM: 7.5 (quote: “A fascinating adventure game with a really exciting setting, The Highlands could stand a graphical makeover, but it plays extremely well.”)
Gamespot: 6.8 (quote: “Poorly detailed graphics and a lack of good music do hurt it, but The Highlands' plot calls back memories of Braveheart.”)

Saturn:

Space Channel Ulala

EGM: 6.5 (quote: “It's definitely creative, but a bit too simple for my tastes.”)
Gamespot: 7.2 (quote: “The concept is so unique, and the characters so fun that it's worth at least a rental.”)

King Crab 2

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “A step up from the original, this series hits its stride in its second game.”)
Gamespot: 8.6 (quote: “It takes much needed risks and distinguishes itself from the original. I hope it does even more on the Sega Katana.”)

Virtua Quest 3

EGM: 7.8 (quote: “Another fun installment in what's becoming one of my favorite RPG franchises.”)
Gamespot: 7.9 (quote: “The plot really thickens in this game, and the battle system never gets old.”)

Game Boy Nova:

Bomberman Nova

EGM: 7.0 (quote: “Portable Bomberman is always nice, but it doesn't do enough to please players who might not have another friend with a Nova handy.”)
Gamespot: 8.3 (quote: “All the fun of Bomberman in the palm of your hand! It definitely beats the pants off the Game Boy's Wario Blast.”)

Pocket World Of Color

EGM: 9.0 (quote: “But what's with that name? The original World of Color was handheld too!”)
Gamespot: 9.0 (quote: “While not all the great upgrades of Millennium can be found here, it has many of the best.”)

Mistlandia

EGM: 8.0 (quote: “A fantastic effort from Camelot. The music is a highlight.”)
Gamespot: 7.0 (quote: “The game looks gorgeous, but certain aspects will leave players scratching their heads.”)

-

Velvet Dark: The Basics

Created by Rareware, Velvet Dark is the spiritual successor to the 1998 FPS Goldeneye 007. The game is a first person shooter containing a variety of both realistic and futuristic weapons. The gameplay is very similar to both Goldeneye and OTL's Perfect Dark, though there are some subtle differences. Melee combat is a bit more developed in the game, there are alternate melee strikes both Joanna and Velvet can perform on enemies, and even melee weapons like blunt instruments and swords are inclued in the game. The game's stealth mechanics are a bit more developed, and there are some alternate weapons, like an EMP Cannon that fires magnetic pulses for use on computers and robotic enemies. Weapons such as OTL's Farsight remain in the game and are as functional as they were in OTL. Velvet Dark's graphics are improved from OTL's game, with graphical detail on par with the OTL PS2 version of Half-Life, making it easily one of the Ultra Nintendo's best looking games, not just to date but overall, even impressive compared to games released years later. The game's cutscenes look even better, the game has both rendered and fully FMV cutscenes, with the FMV cutscenes nearly as good as those seen in Final Fantasy VIII. For this reason, the single-player campaign is split among two discs. The audio utilizes Dolby as OTL's game did, with full voice acting (utilizing a staff of fairly obscure British actors similar to The Dreamers, the voice acting is still highly praised). The multiplayer options from OTL all appear, including computer-controlled sims and Counter-Operative mode, which allows one player to play through the missions while another player controls an enemy from the level and attempts to stop them. The biggest change to the multiplayer mode is the “face mapping” option, which allows players to use the Nova's built-in camera to take a picture of their face (or any object) and scan it into the game to use in multiplayer mode, either on human controlled characters or on sims. The face-mapping feature, which was scrapped IOTL due to technological limitations but largely due to potential political controversy, remains in TTL's game mostly due to the lack of a large-scale incident at Columbine. The feature still draws controversy from some members of the gaming press after a number of incidents, largely stemming from kids taking pictures of their schoolmates and putting them into the game, then killing them. Despite the controversy, it remains one of the game's most popular features and is talked about positively by most.

The game's plot is nearly fully changed from IOTL. IOTL's Perfect Dark involved two rival corporations secretly controlled by rival alien factions bent on destroying one another, with Joanna Dark, the protagonist, working as an agent for the Carrington Institute. In Velvet Dark, the player once again starts out with Joanna as the protagonist. The game takes place in 2031 (not 2023 like IOTL), and Joanna works for the dataDyne corporation. In Velvet Dark, she starts out on a more ambiguous side of the moral compass, working as a secret corporate spy for dataDyne, a company that presumes to be the cutting-edge leader in AI technology. Joanna comes to discover that dataDyne's rival, the Genesis Institute, has discovered a way to create perfect AI, AI that can perfectly replicate human behavior. Joanna is eventually captured by the Genesis Institute, and then the perspective switches to Joanna's sister Velvet, who is given her own set of missions to complete. Velvet is tasked with protecting Senator Allen, an influential and idealistic politician who is the front runner to become the President of the United States. Velvet is protecting him from mercenaries sent by dataDyne. She manages to save Senator Allen's life, but as she is heading back to be debriefed, she is captured. Joanna awakens in the Genesis Institute, where she is greeted by a scientist named Daniel Carrington. Carrington tries to get Joanna to stay calm, but she has visions telling her not to trust him, and she breaks out of the institute, killing several scientists as she does so. Joanna returns to dataDyne, and is congratulated for returning safely. dataDyne then tasks Joanna with retrieving files from a government computer. She gets the files, but not before meeting a woman named Andrea Anders, who tries to get Joanna to analyze the files before returning them. Joanna threatens to kill Anders, but has a change of heart and flees. She is pursued by a number of mercenaries and gets sidetracked. Eventually, she ends up in a data center and decides to analyze the files she took. Those files contain information about a woman who Joanna notices looks exactly like her, but has done things Joanna doesn't remember doing. After evading more pursuers, Joanna is eventually confronted by a woman who looks exactly like her. After a brief skirmish, Joanna is knocked out. When she wakes up, she is staring straight at the face of her double, who identifies herself as Velvet. Carrington and Anders are with her. Joanna is told that five years ago, dataDyne captured Velvet and performed experiments on her. Eventually Velvet managed to escape, but it's believed that Joanna was hired on because she and Velvet are twins. Neither Velvet nor Joanna can remember anything from before five years ago (though Velvet has regained much of her memory after escaping thanks to Carrington, and Carrington speculates that Joanna's mind must have been wiped so that dataDyne could brainwash her. They convince Joanna that dataDyne is the enemy, and propose that Velvet infiltrates dataDyne as Joanna, since they don't yet trust Joanna to do so. Velvet successfully infiltrates dataDyne, while Joanna bonds with Carrington and Anders. Velvet discovers that dataDyne has stolen Carrington's secrets and has begun work on an AI, not just a perfect human AI but a superintelligent AI that will allow them to have control over the entire planet, an AI known as Scintilla. After a couple of missions, there is a crucial series of scenes: Velvet is discovered as a spy, but manages to escape with some crucial dataDyne data...while Joanna escapes her holding cell and discovers the same bit of information. We don't see what she learns but Joanna reacts poorly, taking Carrington hostage and demanding that Anders tell her the truth. Meanwhile, Velvet analyzes the information and is shocked and horrified to discover that Joanna is an AI. Anders begs Joanna to forgive her and it looks like Joanna will kill Carrington, but she decides instead to just flee into the night as Disc 1 comes to a close.

Disc 2 begins with Velvet undertaking a series of missions to try and stop dataDyne from activating Scintilla. These are interspersed with bits and pieces of information about Joanna's whereabouts. Eventually, during a seemingly normal mission, Joanna finds Velvet and after a brief scuffle subdues her. Joanna demands to know what Velvet knows, and Velvet insists that she knew nothing about Joanna being an AI. The two are forced to work together to complete the mission, and several missions afterward. Velvet and Joanna begin to bond, which Joanna expresses skepticism at, wondering if anyone could ever truly care for an AI. Velvet asks Joanna if she feels any emotions at all, to which Joanna has to concede that of course she does. Meanwhile, dataDyne is on the verge of activating Scintilla. The Genesis Institute launches one more desperate mission to try and stop Scintilla, and almost manages to do so, but Joanna's “programming” is activated by the awakening machine, and she wounds Velvet before activating Scintilla. The AI immediately infiltrates all aspects of the world's systems. dataDyne's president attempts to stop it, but is himself terminated when Scintilla infects dataDyne's robotic security systems. Velvet is horrified to see that the AI now has total control over the world, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. However, Joanna is able to fight off Scintilla's control and gets out of the building with Velvet just in time. Joanna tells Velvet that she was able to see inside Scintilla's code, and knows what it knows, thus making her the only one capable of stopping it now. She says that Senator, now President Allen, has a secret kill-switch that can shut off America's power grid, crippling the country for months but also deactivating Scintilla. Allen was ushered into a bunker as a precaution and his AI security is disconnected from the main grid, but Scintilla is now trying to reach him and it's only a matter of time before Scintilla reaches him. Joanna and Velvet work together to infiltrate the president's bunker, evading Scintilla's defense mechanisms as they do. They reach the president, but Joanna tells him not to activate the switch, as Scintilla has made a leap off the grid and it would not take it out. Velvet has doubts about this, thinking Scintilla might be talking through Joanna again, and wants Allen to press the switch. Joanna insists that she's fine, but Velvet doesn't believe her, and she tries to force Allen to press it. Joanna knocks out Velvet and smashes the switch just as Scintilla's defense mechs breath the doors. The president sacrifices himself to save Joanna and Velvet, but Joanna appears to be cornered with no hope until the mechs suddenly all deactivate themselves at one, saving both sisters. Joanna tries to revive her sister, but Velvet appears to be dead. That's when Anders contacts Joanna and tells her to come to the Genesis Institute immediately. Joanna takes Velvet's lifeless body with her. In an exposition scene, many truths are revealed. Anders tells Joanna that it was not Joanna who was the AI this entire time, but Velvet, and that Anders' real last name isn't Anders, but Dark. Andrea Dark was Daniel Carrington's best student, and the most brilliant software engineer who ever lived. While working under Carrington as a graduate student, the two fell in love and had Joanna. Joanna was even more brilliant and talented than her parents, and Andrea wanted to test some cybernetic implants on her to see if it would enhance her even further. The implants allowed Joanna to access the worldwide computer network from anywhere she was, but at the cost of her own memories, including, eventually, those of her parents. Joanna retained just enough of her memories to become bitter and resentful, and she rejected her parents and left them. Heartbroken, Andrea and Carrington decided to continue their experimentation into AI, and their first project would be to create a perfect AI replica of their daughter Joanna. This AI replica was Velvet, and when she was born, she was placed into a perfect bionic replica of Joanna. Meanwhile, dataDyne was able to hack into Joanna's implants, gradually manipulating her into joining them as a spy. It seems that Velvet has been able to leap out of her body and into the computer grid in an attempt to stop Scintilla. Velvet is able to prevent Scintilla from taking total control, but doesn't have much time before Scintilla finds her and erases her like a computer virus. Joanna must raid the building housing Scintilla's mainframe, but physically destroying it won't be enough, the two sisters have to go into the cyberworld together and delete every trace of Scintilla's code. The final mission is a two-part one, the physical invasion of Scintilla's mainframe building (fighting through guards and robots all along the way) and then the journey into cyberspace, battling rogue programs before battling Scintilla itself. Scintilla is destroyed, but in the process, Joanna and Velvet realize that because Velvet's code is now intertwined with Scintilla's, Velvet must also be destroyed to kill Scintilla for good. They reluctantly agree to do this, and Velvet sacrifices herself...but Joanna is able to find a single bit of untouched Velvet code and she saves it to an old floppy disc before leaving the self-destructing mainframe building. The ending of the game involves the Genesis Institute announcing that it will continue research into benevolent AI, interspersed with scenes of most of Joanna's cybernetic implants being removed (the ones that were affecting her memories), Joanna reconciling with her parents, and Velvet's code being reconstructed and uploaded into a new body. Joanna and Velvet briefly have a conversation alluding to the one from before, about whether AI can have emotions and feel love, and then the two embrace, accepting one another as twin sisters.

April 17, 2000

Velvet Dark is released for the Ultra Nintendo to universal critical acclaim and an enormous first week of sales in both North America and Europe (where it was simultaneously released). The game's single-player campaign and multiplayer are equally praised, the single-player mode is lauded for its handling of the AI issue, and compared to the Terminator films and the works of Isaac Asimov, and the multiplayer mode is praised for being even more fun and customizable than Goldeneye. It is recognized by many critics as the best console FPS to date, and perhaps even the best FPS overall, topping the likes of games such as Half-Life and Doom. A sequel would be confirmed as being in the works just a few months later, scheduled for a 2002 release.

-

Not buying into all the Velvet Dark hype and looking for something else for your Ultra Nintendo? Wave Race: Ultramarine is Nintendo's other big game of the month, and while Rare's new FPS soaks up all the love, Wave Race is ready to cruise right into your console's disc slot. If you've played the original Wave Race, picking up Ultramarine is a no-brainer. It greatly expands on the original's course selection, featuring a total of 12 courses divided amongst four circuits: Guppy, Grouper, Shark, and Whale. You'll actually race some of the courses more than once, Grouper, Shark, and Whale all feature harder versions of courses found on previous circuits. There are ten racers to choose from, four returning from Wave Race and six newbies, including a pair of cameos from other Ultra Nintendo games: Otakon from Metal Gear Solid and Rebecca from Squad Four. (We have no clue what they're doing on watercraft, but they're surely welcome!)

Another big change from Wave Race is the addition of weather. Weather plays a big role in how you'll race the course, big storms generate big waves, and of course, you'll see adverse weather more often on later circuits. Certain racers handle certain weather conditions better than others as well! You'll need a lot more strategy to win races in Ultramarine, but winning a race is plenty satisfying. And of course, you can eschew racing the AI all together in favor of racing your friends, or just ditch racing all together and do stunts for points. Wave Race: Ultramarine is a vast improvement over the original game and one of our favorite racing games of the year.

Graphics: 5.0
Sound: 4.5
Play Control: 5.0
Fun Factor: 5.0
Challenge: Advanced

-excerpted from a review of Wave Race: Ultramarine in the May 2000 issue of GamePro

-

*A TV psychic who looks and sounds a lot like the old TV psychic Miss Cleo is sitting at a table reading from various tarot cards.*

Psychic: Welcome to the Fabulous Miss Chloe's Psychic Hotline! I'm here to read your fortunes and I'm about to take another caller right now. *picks up the phone* Who is this?

Caller: Miss Chloe, I've got a problem!

Psychic: Mmm, let me see now. *picking up cards* Can ya tell me what's troublin' ya?

Caller: There's an invasion of weird creeps in my neighborhood!

Psychic: Weird creeps, ya say?

Caller: They're coming up the driveway!

Psychic: Oooh, that's a pickle, let's see what the cards have ta say...*picks up a card* I see the king o' claws in your future!

Caller: The king of claws?

*Scenes from King Crab 2 are shown on the screen as Miss Chloe talks.*

Psychic: That's right, the king' o claws, Crust himself! He's bringin' his spin moves, his power jumps, his all new weapons... *a scene of Crust wielding a giant pair of tongs to pick up one of the enemies, which looks like a big shuffling blob of darkness, is shown here* He's gotta save da seven seas from the evil Darkwater before all the world is swallowed up by the abyss!

Caller: Well that's great, but who's gonna save me?!

Psychic: Well let's see... *picks up a tarot card, it's the Death card, she has a worried look on her face as a scream sounds over the phone* Hello? Are ya there, caller? *nothing* Well, I suppose that's it for the Fabulous Miss Chloe's Psychic Hotline for today! And if ya want your own psychic readings done, call me at this number for only $5.99 per minute! *a fake “555” number is shown on screen*

*The King Crab 2 logo is shown*

*cue the Sega! Scream*

-from the King Crab 2 commercial, which began airing during March 2000

King Crab 2 played it mostly safe, sticking to the familiar platformer formula while making a few changes, such as the addition of weapons to the game. Instead of battling Lord Cartilage, Crust battled a wave of mysterious beings from the deep ocean abyss called the Darkwater, commanded by Queen Mariana, an evil being who lived in the undersea Marianas Trench. Crust once again had to save the beautiful Princess Elisha, who was being held in a crystal in Mariana's palace, which Crust had to reach after defeating Mariana's minions throughout the adventure. As a fun, visually pleasing platformer, King Crab 2 maintained the series' good reputation and pleased fans itching for another adventure.
-from a retro review of King Crab 2 on SegaRetro.com

On its surface, King Crab 2 appeared to be much like its predecessor. But where the game really shined was the underwater levels. Though some series such as The Legend Of Zelda have a reputation for excellent underwater levels, others make swimming a difficult chore. But in King Crab 2, the underwater control scheme actually becomes a lot more fun, giving your character an extremely wide range of underwater mobility and making his attacks much more effective. By keeping the land levels relatively small and opening up the underwater gameplay, King Crab 2 was able to conquer a lot of the problems that water levels typically encounter, and by the time the player reaches Mariana's Palace, which is a perfect mix of both types of environments, the player will be having a ton of fun. It was a huge risk for King Crab 2 to spend so much more time in the water, but players soon learned to relax: the water really was fine.
-from a retro review of King Crab 2 on Kotaku.com

-

(Authors' Note: The following Virtua Quest 3 info was given to us by our reader and contributor Roger Redux! Thanks for the contribution!)

Virtua Quest 3: Pai Chan & Kage-Maru:
[Released in Japan as Virtua Fighter RPG: Pai Chan and Kage-Maru's Quests]
Once again all voice actors whose characters appear in the game return.

Pai Chan's Quest:
Prologue: A cinematic flashback shows us Pai's childhood. Her father, Lau Chan, is obsessed with his training to the exclusion of almost all else; he also oversees Pai's training from a young age. While they're training, her mother is working so hard to try to support the family that she dies of exhaustion and overwork. Pai blames her father and doesn't speak to him for many years, swearing that one she'll surpass his skill and beat him.
Flash forward to 1991: the tutorial level cold opens with Pai being chased by thugs, grabbing a low rung of a fire escape ladder, swinging around behind the them (QTEs), and promptly handing them their collective asses (normal fight). After the fight, a voice yells "Cut! Print! Perfect! In fact, that's wrap!" Our view pulls out to reveal that we're on a movie set, Pai Chan is currently the biggest female star in the Hong Kong action movie scene, so big that her popularity even extends overseas. [She's just finished filming on 'Daughter of the Dragon 3' if anyone was curious. (and yes the series is a sort-of sequel to the Bruce Lee film 'Enter the Dragon')] She does all of her own stunts and choreographs her own fight scenes (like Lee himself), giving her films a more visceral realism. After making sure the stuntmen from the scene are alright, she talks to the director who congratulates her on her best film to date. [The player can explore the film set, Pai's dressing room, and part of the studio lot.] In her dressing room she receives a phone call, her father is dying of a rare, incurable disease.

Chapter 1: She's the Best, Arooouuuund: The bombshell that her father is dying has driven her to recommit herself to her training. This chapter follows the basic 'travel around the world and train at various dojos' format from VQ1 and turns it up to 11. Naturally she digresses along the way to help people with their problems (wouldn't be much of an RPG heroine if she didn't).
Halfway through the chapter she starts being followed by actual thugs, whom she dispatches as easily as she did the stuntmen at the beginning. After about 5 progressively more challenging encounters with the thugs, she's given an invitation to The Tournament and informed that her father will also be competing.

Chapter 2: Hit me...If you can: The Tournament, she meets Akira, Jacky, and Wolf; her father wins. [During her fight with her father there are QTE combos that allow her to pull off some slightly better special moves.] Her performance in the Tournament as a whole revealed that she's weaker than she thought.

Chapter 3: She's got the Eye of the Tiger, She's the Cream of the Fight...: She redoubles her training over the next year, while adventuring with her new friends, and planning the rescue of Jacky's sister from the mysterious shadowy group running the Tournaments.

Chapter 4: ...Rising-up to the Challenge of Her Rivals!: She does markedly better this time, though she still loses to her father. [This time the QTE combos allow you to almost win.] This time though, her defeat allows her some new insight into and perspective on her father.

Epilogue: She keeps in touch with her new friends, especially Akira, and starts work on her newest world-spanning epic action film: "Tekken: The World Fighting Championship".

Kage-Maru's Quest:
Prologue: In the secret ninja village of Hagakure, Kage-Maru and Tsukikage are the names given to their leaders. One day the current Tsukikage is abducted by an unknown mysterious figure, nothing is ever heard of her fate. The Kage-Maru and his son were out fishing several years later, they return to find the village burning while the unknown attackers flee. To add insult to injury, the attackers fired guns at them while they fled, and the Kage-Maru was killed. His son took a keepsake and his father's uniform, taking the name Kage-Maru for himself and swearing vengeance for the death of his father and the slaughter of his village.
[His game plays much like the Bryant's with a focus on investigation, trying to determine who's responsible for murder of all he held dear. The biggest difference is that he's more of an anti-hero, so he conducts his investigations in less savory places; and also that having no ties to 'mainstream society', he's quicker to believe in secret cabals and such, so he actually hears the name "Judgement 6" sooner than even Sarah. At the end of his Prologue.]

Chapter 1: Hunting Judgement: Now that he knows the name of his quarry, he stops at nothing to find out all he can about them. He does still get stopped by NPCs in need of help, but it's entirely up to the player whether or not to actually help them most of the time. There are only a few that Kage-Maru will by default decide are worthy of his help. (The game does give extra rewards for some of the optional ones: a new fighting move, some money, a shortcut to another story element, etc. A selling point for the game's strategy guide would be that it'll tell you which ones will give you an extra reward, and which ones you can skip entirely.) As a highly skilled ninja, Kage-Maru naturally spots the J6 thugs trailing him the very first time they try; he interrogates them, but they're just goons, they know nothing. There are still six different encounters with J6 thugs, each group knows slightly less nothing; the 4th is able to tell him why his village had to die: J6 tried to recruit the Hagakure into their private army, but Kage-Maru's father refused them; and the 6th gives him the information about The Tournament.

Chapter 2: And the Man in the Back said Everyone Attack, and it turned into a Virtua Blitz: Kage-Maru takes an instant dislike of most of his competitors in the World Fighting Tournament, but especially of Akira who he views an undisciplined child unworthy of his family's legacy (and whom he takes particular pleasure in knocking down a peg when he defeats him). He is unsurprised by Pai Chan's weakness, having not expected much from a 'mere actor'; and he has a similar opinion of 'the race car driver'. The only one to truly earn his respect is Lau Chan, who is clearly a dedicated martial artist. Dural on the other hand, Kage-Maru has no idea what she is until the end of their fight. At first he thinks of her as just being a robot designed to mimic human fighters, but her finishing move is one that he'd only ever seen his mother execute correctly.

Chapter 3: What is Dural?: In this chapter, his curiosity and suspicion aroused by his encounter with Dural (who was proudly shown off as the latest creation of Xavier D. & Viceroy Arms and Robotics Company), Kage-Maru launches a full investigation of the company called "The Devil". He actually succeeds in breaking into their headquarters building and goes through their files on 'Project Dural', discovering that Dural isn't a robot, she's a cyborg, and that J6 was behind his mother's disappearance.

Chapter 4: No,
I am your mother: Kage-Maru's sole motivation for entering the Second Tournament is to try to rescue his mother...Dural. His second fight against Dural has the (now familiar) QTE element to try and talk past the programming, with the twist that Kage-Maru isn't pulling any of his punches, knowing that his mother would rather be destroyed than live as a puppet.

Epilogue: Kage-Maru has succeeded in rescuing his mother, though she's still a cyborg, and they now live in a small secluded village not far from where Hagakure used to be.

After the Player finishes both main quests, a third option appears on the character select screen: a greyed out box with a question mark instead of a portrait. When the third option is selected the VF "Round 1/FIGHT!/K.O." narrator voice says "Bonus Round!" and the post-selection splash screen reveals:

Dural's Quest:
Prologue: Tsukikage is the co-leader of the Hagakure ninja clan with her husband Kage-Maru. Both of their names are passed down generation to generation and taken by all of the clan's leaders; so one day her son will be Kage-Maru, and his wife will be Tsuikikage. One day while on a walk around the outskirts of the village, she's attacked by a man with a tranq. gun. She awakes in a place she's never seen, surrounded by strange equipment and people in lab coats.

Chapter 1: Tsukikage is physically disassembled and turned into a cyborg, while being brainwashed with false memories and selective memory erasure, becoming Dural.

Chapter 2: Round 1- FIGHT!: Dural crushes all who come before her in the First Tournament.

Chapter 3: Upgrades: More torture/brainwashing/cybernetic enhancements.

Chapter 4: Total Recall: During the fight with Kage-Maru, QTEs to break free of the programming.

Epilogue: Mother and son reunited and living in the forrest, trying to figure out how to reverse her 'Cyborgification'.

Pai Chan's gameplay is very similar to Akira's in VQ1, though in chapters 3 & 4 the controls become gradually more responsive to emphasize that she's getting better.
Kage-Maru's gameplay is blend of Akira's and the Bryants', with a lot of fight training and investigation.
Dural's gameplay is very much like Sarah Bryant's, though her fighting skill is greater than anyone else's.

-

While Tomonobu Itagaki continued to work on Dead or Alive 2 (which would finally make it to arcades in November 2000), he had tasked a team within Tecmo of producing a Ninja Gaiden game for the Ultra Nintendo. While he contributed to the game in an advisory role (mostly to approve the game's story and to ensure it maintained the same gameplay integrity of previous titles in the series), the game's creation was largely the work of this small team (which Itagaki would later use as the basis for Team Ninja starting in 2002). Fury was a prequel to the earlier games, which saw Ryu Hayabusa hunting down members of a rival ninja clan which had assassinated his friend and sparring partner Kotonube. Hayabusa must infiltrate six fortresses over the course of the game to hunt down and kill the clan leaders, battling their minions all along the way. While Ninja Gaiden Fury introduced a complex and intuitive battle system to the series that won praise from reviewers, many criticized the game's environments, which consisted of repetitive and confusing corridors and were considered not very fun to navigate. At first, Itagaki addressed these criticisms by claiming that the point of Ninja Gaiden Fury was its combat and battle system, but would later express regret that he had not more closely overseen the creation of individual levels, and would make it a point to ensure more well designed environments in future games. Despite the mixed reviews, Ninja Gaiden Fury sold well enough to be Tecmo's most successful console game of the year, and the series would continue on next-generation systems starting with Microsoft's Xbox in 2002.

-from a Tomonobu Itagaki career retrospective on Gamesovermatter.com

-

Storm Guardians was remembered as one of the best late-generation games for the cartridge SNES, and sold quite well, but fans had to wait nearly five years before a sequel finally appeared on the Ultra Nintendo. Ultra Storm Guardians was in some way worth the wait. It continued the story of the five protagonists (Alex, Elite, Zera, Lee, and Fury), and added an additional sixth Storm Guardian, a girl named Lita, who started out as evil before eventually joining the heroes. The graphics and soundtrack were considered quite good, and the game added voice acting, a welcome touch. The combat, however, praised on the original game as a shoot-em-up reminiscent of Gunstar Heroes, was simplified into a fairly by-the-book beat-em-up, which earned derision from critics and some fans. The game featured open area exploration like other 3-D games of its day, but you were restricted to just a small area until you'd completed an objective (and some of those objectives could be difficult to find). This made for a sometimes frustrating and poorly paced experience. Despite the game's flaws, it sold well, and fans wouldn't have to wait another five years for the series' third game: it was released in 2001 for the Game Boy Nova as the much better received Storm Guardians Team Delta, which brought back the familiar side-scrolling shoot-em-up combat.

-from an article on Gamesovermatter.com

-

Game Boy Nova early adopters waiting for an RPG are in luck: Camelot's Mistlandia makes its debut on the handheld later this week. We played a review copy, and for those wary about the company's RPG making prowess for the Nintendo after the bland Ultra Nintendo launch title Ultra Adventurers: your fears are mostly unwarranted, this game is quite good, even when compared to the company's Sega RPGs such as the Shining Force series. Mistlandia takes place in a realm very reminiscent of medieval Scotland, it features an appropriate soundtrack of Celtic-style music, and there are numerous puzzles scattered about that are solved with items the player picks up along the way, in a matter not too dissimilar from games like Zelda or even Lufia II. The game features four protagonists who explore a land of wonder, where an ancient enemy known as Seros threatens the land and has deployed minions to enforce his will by menacing towns that the heroes must liberate. The plot is somewhat cliché, but there are enough twists along the way that players will be surprised on occasion, and the game itself is quite adept at not letting things get too stale. Where Ultra Adventurers featured four forgettable protagonists, Mistlandia's main characters each have their own motivations and complex personalities that will endear them to players immediately. Battles show off the Game Boy Nova's capabilities exceptionally well, with battle animations that call back memories of the very best SNES-CD RPGs, or even some Saturn titles. The game's not quite as good looking as Final Fantasy VII, but its style works well for what the Nova is capable of, and it's probably prettier than any SNES-CD game, including groundbreaking (for the time) titles like Tale Phantasia.

(…)

Mistlandia is an RPG worth playing, though it's probably not quite good enough to buy a Nova exclusively for. However, with a new Pokemon game on the way and Squaresoft having announced both an original Final Fantasy title and remakes of some of its classic games for the device, Mistlandia might just be a good excuse to pick one up.

-excerpted from RPGamer.com's 8.5/10 review of Mistlandia, posted on April 18, 2000

-

Kurt Cobain Criticizes Metallica Over Napster Lawsuit

Metallica recently filed a lawsuit against the peer-to-peer file sharing company Napster, claiming that the company's technology, which allows internet users to trade songs with one another, is tantamount to theft. While most music artists have stayed silent over the issue, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain has spoken out against Metallica and the lawsuit.

“Metallica, they're showing that they're all about money and not about music,” said Cobain in an interview with a Seattle-area television station. “A lot of fans, they can't always afford to buy all the CDs they wanna listen to. If it wasn't for people listening to the radio and swapping tapes, bands like us wouldn't have even gotten started.”

Ulrich fired back, calling Cobain a “hypocrite”, and also reminding critics that fans were trading songs that hadn't yet been released and that Metallica didn't intend for anyone to listen to yet.

-excerpted from an article posted on Yahoo! News, April 22, 2000

And now I guess they're suing colleges for letting kids download music? Lars Ulrich is a dick.”
-Kurt Cobain, in a statement on the Nirvana website, April 25, 2000

I'd kill him he was standing here in front of me right now. I swear to God, I'd wring his scrawny little fuckin' neck.”
-Lars Ulrich, in an April 27, 2000 interview after a reporter read to him some of the comments made by Cobain on the Nirvana website

-

Brittany Saldita: So first Wipeout 2 and now Booststream, I've gotta wonder, is there a backlash against difficulty in racing games since F-Zero: Ultracharged?

Alex Stansfield: I don't really think so, I think F-Zero is probably at the top of the scale, so if you've played it a ton, like we have, other games just seem a lot easier.

Brittany: I have to kind of remind myself of that when I'm playing these games, just because I personally found it easy doesn't mean our average viewer might.

Alex: …what are you saying?

Brittany: Hmm?

Alex: That our average viewer isn't that good at games?

Brittany: What? No! No! *blushing and shaking her head*

Alex: You're the one that said it!

Brittany: No, you are, you just said it!

Alex: I think you did!

Brittany: Okay, so put yourself in the shoes of someone who didn't play F-Zero a ton last year, is Booststream too easy?

Alex: No, it's a challenging game! I think someone who doesn't play racing games all that much would find Booststream a decent challenge, and it's really really fun. I'm giving it a 4.

Brittany: Keeping in mind that I personally found it easier than the average person might, I gave it a 3.5. It's just so beautiful, all the neon cities and the scenery, it IS easy to get distracted. The Kyoto level, I crashed a few times just because the scenery blew me away.

Alex: Are you sure it's because of that and not because you had a rough time? *smirks*

Brittany: Watch it, you!

(…)

Steve Horton: This game kind of makes killing stuff get old, and a video game shouldn't make killing stuff get old!

Gary Westhouse: I absolutely agree.

Steve: I wanted to have fun with Future Fear. I thought, you know, after I got out of the arena, there'd be more stuff to do. But instead, it's the same old “hunt down these guys and kill them” level structure. Occasionally the game would send waves of guys at you and you'd be all *makes gun noises* and at first THAT was kind of fun, but by the end, I was worn out, man!

Gary: The main character, she was pretty interesting.

Steve: Not really, she bored the crap outta me.

Gary: How many people in the arena did you save?

Steve: The first time I played? Not a single one. I laid waste to everything that moved!

Gary: See, the plot does improve if you leave more people alive.

Steve: I did go back and try to save everyone but that really wasn't fun. I'm giving this game a 2.5.

Gary: I'll be a bit more generous and give it a 3, but yeah, Future Fear: Escape The Arena isn't all that great.

-excerpted from the April 11, 2000 episode of GameTV

(…)

Ted Crosley: I'm giving Velvet Dark a 4.5 out of 5.

Alex: Really?

Ted: I told you, I thought the plot went off the rails toward the end and I thought that the multiplayer wasn't as good as Goldeneye's.

Alex: I will give you the plot, even though I thought it was fine. But the multiplayer? Really?

Ted: The Farsight breaks it, for one.

Alex: Then don't use the Farsight!

Ted: The sims, they're kinda stupid, even the best ones...the Dark ones cheat their asses off. The Counter-Op mode was fun as hell but I couldn't get into the multiplayer, even with three other people I don't think it plays as well as Goldeneye. For all its options, I think the level design is pretty poor compared to Goldeneye's, they don't even bring over the best stages...I just think this game has too many little flaws to justify a 5.

Alex: Well, I'm giving it a 5 and I think you're wrong.

Ted: I gave it a 4.5, that's a great score! Any other game would LOVE to get that score. And I know Nintendo fans are going to be pissed at me, and I'm probably going to get a mutilated Sonic the Hedgehog doll in the mail...which, by the way, is REALLY uncalled for, don't take out your anger on Sonic, he had nothing to do with Velvet Dark's mediocre plot.

Alex: I thought the plot was fine.

Ted: Once you've played the game, check out my review about the plot on the website, I'll break down everything I thought was stupid about it.

Alex: Velvet Dark is a brilliant game, it should be up on the wall right now.

Ted: Well, too bad.

-excerpted from the April 18, 2000 episode of GameTV

(…)

Lyssa: Can you blame me for being at least a little disappointed in this game?

Brittany: No, I mean, Space Channel Ulala has some catchy music and a really fun main character, but as far as rhythm games go it's really nothing special.

Lyssa: I didn't even think the music was all that catchy! There's only so much you can listen to “left shoot shoot shoot” and “right shoot shoot shoot” before you think “enough already, shoot shoot me!”

Brittany: *laughing* Well, I know you were really excited for this one, what's your final verdict?

Lyssa: I gotta give it a 3, I mean, it really isn't all that great of a game! It has some cute graphics and it's a fun enough first time playthrough but I can't see myself replaying it very many times afterward.

Brittany: Yeah, I give it a 3 too. It's a nifty little game but when you're done playing it you'll say to yourself “well, that was nice” and put it away, probably never to be played again.

Lyssa: If you wanna see more of Ulala, go back and play Spice World, that's a much better game!

Brittany: ...not really.

-excerpted from the April 25, 2000 episode of GameTV

-

Ultra Nintendo Power Charts: April 2000

1. Squad Four: Rebellion
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. The Legend Of Zelda: Temple Of Time
4. World Of Color: Millennium
5. Ultra Donkey Kong Country
6. Super Smash Bros.
7. Resident Evil: Operation Stormwind
8. Road Storm: Rampage
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Deathblow II

The Official Saturn Magazine Buzz Chart: April 2000

1. Soul Calibur
2. Sonic The Hedgehog 5
3. Phantasy Star VI
4. Klonoa 2: The Wind Rider
5. King Crab 2
6. Turok III: Generation War
7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
9. Silent Hill
10. Virtua Quest 3

-

April 26, 2000

Tom Kalinske sighed as he held the letter of resignation in his hands, ready to place it on the desk of his boss for the last decade, Hayao Nakayama. Kalinske's old friend Shinobu Toyoda had left the company three months ago, and just a few days earlier, Nakayama had personally met with Kalinske. After a long meeting, the two had mutually agreed that Kalinske would be allowed to resign with his head held high. It really was the least Sega could do for the man that had brought their company to prominence over the last ten years, though Kalinske wouldn't have argued if Nakayama had brought him into the office just to fire him.

Things were changing at Sega. Even Nakayama's job was rumored to not be entirely safe, and it was becoming increasingly possible that the company could see a near total restructuring of its corporate ladder before the release of the Katana.

After this, it'll all be over...I'll be unemployed. I could retire right now if I wanted to... do I want to retire?”

For all its trials and tribulations, Tom Kalinske loved his job at Sega. It was challenging, it was fulfilling, it took him all over the world...

It took him away from his family. Though he'd made the effort to be there for his daughters as much as he could, he had missed a good amount of seeing them grow up. Now he was free to see them whenever he wanted, though already, other companies were courting him. Tom Kalinske could have a job the very next week if he wanted one.

He entered Nakayama's office and placed it on the man's desk. Nakayama looked up at Kalinske, and through the stoic businessman's expression, Kalinske could see a deep sadness in his boss' eyes.

“Thank you, Tom.” said Nakayama, picking up the letter. “It won't be the same here without you.”

“It's been a pleasure,” said Kalinske, extending his hand. “Thank you so much for the opportunity. You've done so much for me and my family.”

Nakayama graciously shook Kalinske's hand.

“Nowhere near as much as you've done for this company. If it was up to me, you'd have a place here forever.”

But both men knew it wasn't up to Nakayama. And...either way, Kalinske knew his time at Sega would have ended soon regardless. Even if the Saturn had trounced Nintendo...Tom Kalinske still missed his family. This wasn't a job he could've done forever.

“Sayonara, Kalinske-san.”

“Sayonara.”

-

Kalinske Out, Former Rare Executive Reggie Fils-Aime In At Sega's American Division”
-headline from the May 1, 2000 Wall Street Journal

Farewell Kalinske, your efforts to keep Sega on top may not have won you the console war, but at least you managed to keep Sega alive give it a real chance to succeed in the 6th Generation.

Awesome update as always, guys.

Bye Tom, SEGA won't be the same without you. :(
But on the other hand Reggie seems to be just maniacal enough to embody & embrace SEGA's oh-so-90s attitude, and bring into the 21st century. :D

Is...is Lars Ulrich going to kill Kurt Cobain like all the rappers who lived ITTL got killed IOTL? 'Rocker feud turns deadly'? :eek:

Mistlandia and Velvet Dark sound really cool!

Awesome update as usual you two!

Uh oh, the metal vs rock feud is heating up, over Napster. Well Lars is going go get flak for threatening to kill the frontman of Nirvana, as well as suing Napster.

Status
Not open for further replies.