WI: Easter Island Sold in 1930?

In 1930, I think you can all guess that shit had hit the fan for Chile and most of the world. But I recently came across this little bit.
346vv4p.jpg

So Carlos Ibañez del Campo was so bloody desperate about the financial clusterfuck existent in Chile and wanted an easy way out.

What happens if the island is sold to the US, UK or Japan as those are the powers mentioned?

What happens if the island is sold to the US, UK or Japan as those are the powers mentioned?

UK is no problem for the US. Earlier in the 20th Century Japan had inquired with Mexico about a coaling station for the IJN on the Pacific coast. I cant recall if this involved any warships permanently stationed there. The US government threw a fit & the matter was not pursued. A couple decades later a Japanese business firm inquired about developing a commercial port on Mexicos Pacific coast. Again the US made it known this was a non starter.

I expect the same sort of thing would have occured had Japan pursued purchasing the island. Chile might luck out and get a bidding war started.

I do have to close with the question of what real value this island would have for Japan? Would they actually have any interest in the place?

I do have to close with the question of what real value this island would have for Japan? Would they actually have any interest in the place?

It is isolated(the closest bit to EI is Pitcairn.) and over 7,000 KM away from Hawaii, as well as 13,000 KM away from Japan, but it gives Japan some power in the South Pacific.

With some development a refuel station for submarines & perhaps some light cruisers. Still a long ways from any sea routes either the Japanese or US Navies contemplated in their 1930 war plans. If Japans leaders thought they had a solid development strategy for Chile, Peru, or other points to the east, then this island might be useful.

If Chile had cut the price (100 million for Easter Island?), they would've been able to sell it. Maybe start with 10-20 million, offer it to anyone interested (US, Japan, UK, maybe France or Australia) and auction the place off. I just don't see the US wanting to pay 100 million dollars for a mostly useless speck of land in the midst of the Great Depression. Any politician who supported that would be roundly mocked.

For the Chileans if they sold it, national pride might be wounded a bit, but the Chilean government just brought in a huge amount of revenue which might ease things a bit.

UK is no problem for the US. Earlier in the 20th Century Japan had inquired with Mexico about a coaling station for the IJN on the Pacific coast. I cant recall if this involved any warships permanently stationed there. The US government threw a fit & the matter was not pursued. A couple decades later a Japanese business firm inquired about developing a commercial port on Mexicos Pacific coast. Again the US made it known this was a non starter.

I expect the same sort of thing would have occured had Japan pursued purchasing the island.

Easter Island is so remote from both the Americas and other Pacific islands that it should be less problematic for the US than IJN stations in Mexico. I just don't see it being worth the hassle for the US to complain, although they always could to get something out of Chile in return (as much as the US already had there in terms of economic interests) for letting them sell the island to Japan.

Did Easter Island have a naval base size anchorage, or the potential for development of such?
No and almost certainly not. It does have lots of reefs and sandbanks though.

It's also lacking in coal or oil (so fuel will need to be brought), short of potable water and pretty much suits the term "in the middle of no-where".

If Chile had cut the price (100 million for Easter Island?), they would've been able to sell it. Maybe start with 10-20 million, offer it to anyone interested (US, Japan, UK, maybe France or Australia) and auction the place off. I just don't see the US wanting to pay 100 million dollars for a mostly useless speck of land in the midst of the Great Depression. Any politician who supported that would be roundly mocked.

For the Chileans if they sold it, national pride might be wounded a bit, but the Chilean government just brought in a huge amount of revenue which might ease things a bit.

Easter Island is so remote from both the Americas and other Pacific islands that it should be less problematic for the US than IJN stations in Mexico. I just don't see it being worth the hassle for the US to complain, although they always could to get something out of Chile in return (as much as the US already had there in terms of economic interests) for letting them sell the island to Japan.
Easter Island would be a logical extension of an independent French Polynesia, but I don't see any logical justification for anyone else to buy it.

That was my question too. Who in 1930 would seriously consider paying 100 million dollars for Easter Island? Are the documents shown here genuine? This isn't an old hoax of some kind?
Or perhaps this was a bit of Chilean domestic politics theatre and they had no real intention of selling. Unless someone was actually going to agree to the price.

Last edited:
Actually, we don't have to speculate on US reaction--at least we know how FDR reacted to rumors of a sale some years later:

"Early in 1939 Under Secretary of State Sumner Welles informed the President of reports from Ambassador Armour that the government of Chile was thinking about selling Easter Island, apparently not having considered 'that the sale of this island to a non-American power would violate any hemispherical doctrine of non-transfer of territory or prejudice the defense of the continent.' Welles suggested offering to purchase or lease the island, and inquired about price. Roosevelt pointed out the possible importance of Easter Island as an air base, and agreed that 'it should, therefore, under no circumstances be transferred to any non-American nation,' but he opposed the thought of further territorial expansion in the Hemisphere by the United States. Instead he advocated some form of 'joint trusteeship of the American Republics" over not only Easter but also the Galapagos and perhaps Cocos Island to preserve them for colonization and for natural science and to keep them out of the hands of non-American powers. The cost of administration should be borne by the trustees in proportion to their national wealth...'" John A. Logan, *No Transfer: An American Security Principle,* (New Haven: Yale University Press 1961), p. 131.

Here is the text of FDR's letter to Welles:

President Roosevelt to the Under Secretary of State (Welles)
Washington, March 25, 1939.

Memorandum

In regard to Easter Island:
It is a definite possibility as a stopping place for trans-South Pacific planes, commercial or military.
It should, therefore, under no circumstances, be transferred to any non-American nation.
I doubt at this time the political wisdom of its purchase by the United States, and also the possibility of getting any large appropriation through the Congress.
Have you considered a different angle? Easter Island is unique in possessing remains of prehistoric men—the great recumbent stone figures which have never yet been adequately explained. No serious scientific excavation work has been done on the Island. It is, therefore, of the greatest importance that it be preserved to science for all time. In this respect it is a little like the Galápagos Islands.62
Would it be possible to tie up Easter Island and the Galápagos in a Pan-American trusteeship; the Islands to be preserved for all time against colonization and for natural science? Ecuador and Chile (if a reasonable sum could be arrived at) would be paid for the Islands over a period of years, the sovereignty to vest in the trustees; the trustees to protect them and prevent their use for military purposes. I do not like the idea of a lease. The payments would be made by all the American Republics over a period of years and in proportion to the total wealth of the Republics. This would put, of course, the greatest burden on the United States.
Cocos Island63 could be included, for it has no military value to us but might have military value to a non-American power as a temporary base in war operations.

As I remember Easter Island, it has no harbor. Will you let me have some information regarding it? It may not even be available for sea planes or land planes.

F[ranklin] D. R[oosevelt]

https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1939v05/d486

I think it is clear from this that the US would oppose the sale of Easter Island to *any* non-American power, including the UK. Indeed, as I noted some years ago in soc.history.what-if, the US quire definitely opposed any new British acquisitions in the Western Hemisphere in the twentieth century:

"In 1920 the Danish government asked the UK to recognize its right to extend its political and economic interest in the whole of Greenland--a claim to sovereignty already acknowledged by the US as a condition of the cession of the Danish West Indies four years earlier. The British government replied that it would agree to this proposition only if granted the right of pre-emptive purchase in case Denmark should consider disposing of Greenland. When word of the British demand reached Washington, Secretary of State Colby strongly objected, and in deference to the US objection, the UK softened its conditions.

"Even in 1940, when one might think after Hitler's occupation of Denmark, the US might welcome a British or Canadian occupation of Greenland, instead the US was anxious to prevent precisely this event, while not yet ready to dispatch troops itself. (Eventually it did, of course, but only after keeping the question in suspense for a year.) This was partly out of a desire to deny Japan an excuse for a 'protective' occupation of the Dutch East Indies should Hitler make his expected assault on Holland. But it was also a product of the US belief that Greenland was part of the Western Hemisphere, and that the Monroe Doctrine (including the no-transfer policy) applied. Hull specifically reminded Lord Lothian of Colby's 1920 note, which Hull called an 'express application of the Monroe Doctrine by the United States.'" http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/msg/7e06b89fb2c0843d

Last edited:
For 1930 until WWII I just don't seeing it having any real military value. It could be a sub base if you wanted to attack the Western side of the Panama canal, but it's way outside any important shipping lanes. The airbase idea would also be a non factor as it is just too far away from anything!

VERY interesting document though. I enjoyed seeing that. Thank you for showing it to us.