Why the Chinese play cricket (The Pax Imperialis)

Pangur

Donor
This is an act of war, surely?

May 1915: The French and Norwegians sign an agreement for an Entente fleet to be based at Bergen to blockade the North sea and prevent German submarines reaching the Arctic. While the Norwegians convert another ten trawlers for antisubmarine patrols.

And the above is not?

Well the US is in the War and now has men and ships in Norway. Germany has made progress on the Eastern Front and Russia is staggering after so many losses. Things will start to break somewhere, and I wonder if the Entente will try to take out the remaining German colonies.

1915c
~September to December 1915: Making the trains run on time

September 1915: With the situation in the east deteriorating rapidly, the Russians withdraw their forces from Persia.

September 1915: With the French unable to supply artillery, the US adopt the British 4.5" howitzer as their standard field howitzer designating it the M1915, while the 9.2" Mk II howitzer is adopted as heavy artillery, also as the M1915. The US 3" M1903, 4.7" M1906 guns and 6" M1908 howitzer are also placed in production in Britain. The Lewis LMG and Vickers MG are adopted in 0.30" Springfield as also adopted as standard US automatic weapons.

September 1915: In a compromise agreement with Grand Chancellor Sun Yat-sen, Emperor Guangxu abdicates in favour of the Duke of Zhou. This brings an end to the Qing dynasty replacing it with the Gaige dynasty. The position of Emperor is reduced to a ceremonial role. The Emperor Guangxu himself is awarded the title Duke of Aisin-Gioro, reverting to his personal name of Zaitian. Recognising his political skill and the vital importance of their support, Sun appoints to the position of Ambassador to Britain.

September 1915: With the Entente naval blockade it is becoming increasingly difficult for their raiding cruisers to leave the North Sea. To circumvent this they begin using merchant ships as disguised raiders.

September 1915: As the combination of the Entente blockade and submarines has all but stopped neutral trade, Germany withdraws troops from the east to form the Thirteenth Army under General Karl von Bulow for an invasion of Norway.

September 1915: With the situation in the east growing desperate, the French launch an offensive on the Meuse to take pressure off the Russians.

September 1915: Austria-Hungary, with German support resumes the offensive against the Bulgarians in the Balkans. The attack opens with a massive artillery bombardment but Bulgarian line holds the initial assault.

September 1915: With the Russians unable to stem the Central Powers advance Lublin falls to the Germans.

October 1915: The Austro-Hungarian Third Army retakes Przemyl as the Russians fall back in Galicia. However the advance slows as troops are withdrawn to the Balkans.

October 1915: German troops begin landing in Norway at Kristiansand and begin advancing on Oslo. Despite having just completed their training, the US divisions are committed to the defence of Oslo.

October 1915: With the invasion of. Norway, both Denmark and Sweden break off diplomatic relations with Germany. The Danes however, maintain the minefields in the Danish Straits. The British also issue a strong diplomatic protest. Danish and Swedish volunteers begin flowing to Norway.

October 1915: The Central Powers finally break through the Bulgarian positions.

October 1915: Denmark and Sweden sign a Mutual Defence Treaty.

October 1915: British cryptographers break the French diplomatic codes and as virtually all telegraph cables run through Britain, begin intercepting French diplomatic communications. Work begins on cracking other nations codes.

October 1915: With the Russian withdrawal, Britain moves to occupy the rest of Persia, reducing it to de facto protectorate.

October 1915: Seeking to capitalise on Ottoman weakness, British agents incite the Arabs of Hajaz under Hussein bin Ali to launch a revolt, supplying them with arms and gold. To avoid having their involvement revealed, the arms are German weapons produced in Britain.

October 1915: Seeking to gain naval supremacy for a landing to take Bergen. the German High Seas Fleet of 17 dreadnoughts, 5 pre-dreadnoughts, 6 battlecruisers and 1 pre-dreadnought battlecruiser under Admiral Reinhard Scheer clashes with Admiral Frank Fisher's Combined allied fleet of 18 dreadnoughts and 6 battlecruisers off the Jutland Peninsula. The battle is close with both sides suffering heavy damage. However the Entente gains a critical advantage when the Danish steamer Min Lille Vinkel broadcasts the position of Admiral Franz von Hipper's I Scouting Group, allowing Admiral Sadakichi's battlecruisers to decisively defeat it, depriving Scheer of his reconnaissance force and giving Fisher the initiative. Despite poor coordination, Fisher's fleet forces the High Seas Fleet to retreat, gaining control of the North Sea. In his retreat, Scheer is forced to abandon his pre-dreadnoughts, none of which return to port. Fisher's victory will be hailed throughout the US. However the US battlecruisers poor protection is highlighted with the loss of the Thomas Jefferson due to a magazine explosion and the Abraham Lincoln being crippled.

November 1915: With stiffening Russian resistance, troop withdrawals, worsening weather and supply problems hampering the advance, the Austro-Hungarians are halted at the battle of Lemberg. This victory allows the Russians to divert troops to face the Germans in Poland.

November 1915: The Railways Consolidation Act is passed combining British railways into five large companies. The act causes considerable controversy as it covers all five of the home nations. Lloyd George justifies this as required to maintain a single unified transport network for economic growth.

November 1915: Four US Monitors, along with torpedo boats and submarines under Admiral Henry Mayo arrive at Horten to reinforce the Norwegian fleet.

November 1915: The German Tenth Army attempts to take Breast-Litovsk. However reinforcements from Galicia allow the Russians to hold the city despite heavy casualties.

November 1915: With the Central Powers over extended in Bulgaria, the offensive is halted at Pazardzhik. Despite their success, a supply line to the Ottomans has not been opened. Their situation is now desperate and their army incapable of offensive operations.

November 1915: The German Thirteenth Army is defeated by the newly formed Northern Army, consisting of Norwegian, French, US and Nordic volunteer units, under General Hans Kielhau in the Battle of Kragerø, ensuring the security of Oslo. The battle is US troops first combat in war.

December 1915: The onset of winter and lengthening supply lines bring the Central Powers offensive in the east to an end. The Russians have been forced back to a line running from Kovno to Lemberg.

December 1915: Hussein bin Ali's irregulars take Mecca, inflicting a heavy blow to Ottoman prestige.

December 1915: The German Thirteenth Army falls back toward Kristiansand, having suffered heavy casualties. However winter prevent a pursuit. Nonetheless, the victories at Jutland and Kragerø do much to boost morale within the Entente.

December 1915: With the development of trench warfare, the British begin developing improved artillery with longer range. The Battalion level Vickers MGs are also withdrawn and concentrated in a dedicated machine gun company with 18 guns at brigade level. The number of Madsen LMGs is increased to six per infantry company or cavalry troop to compensate. A similar company of 18 Vickers MGs is also attached to each cavalry brigade. These companies are grouped into the Machine Gun Corp, separate from from both the infantry and cavalry branches. Development of an armoured vehicle for trench warfare is also begun.

December 1915: With winter crippling operations and the situation in the east stabilised, the French call off the Meuse offensive. The offensive has caused massive casualties and resulted in little change to the front. As a result of this and the other failed offensives, the French high command is reorganised and General Robert Nivelle replaces Joseph Joffre in command of the French army.

December 1915: The Norwegian navy, strengthened by Mayo's monitors and torpedo boats successful interdicts the German supply lines to the Thirteenth Army.

Last edited:
Tease and mislead are good talents for a writer. We readers hate them, but they keep our attention and willingness to keep reading.

I shall ask for no spoilers and will await to see Germany and her lackeys ground into dust. The Great American Empire will work with the Federated Commonwealth in policing the world. :cool:

Tease and mislead are good talents for a writer. We readers hate them, but they keep our attention and willingness to keep reading.

I shall ask for no spoilers and will await to see Germany and her lackeys ground into dust. The Great American Empire will work with the Federated Commonwealth in policing the world. :cool:

Lmao, my job (ie how I feed myself) is not a writer. But you're now up to the end of 1915. I'm comfortably into 1919.

The end of another bloody year. The US is gaining valuable experience and learning that thin armor does NOT bode well for its warships. Russia is still holding on, but has lost a lot of men and territory. 1916 will be the start of how this war may turn out and which countries may have to drop out. I await to see how things go.

Lmao, my job (ie how I feed myself) is not a writer. But you're now up to the end of 1915. I'm comfortably into 1919.

Understood. I am not a writer in any way myself, but as an avid reader I can try to say how things may be. Well by 1920 we will see a new revised World. Old countries, borders, and alliances will not be the same as it was before.

The end of another bloody year. The US is gaining valuable experience and learning that thin armor does NOT bode well for its warships. Russia is still holding on, but has lost a lot of men and territory. 1916 will be the start of how this war may turn out and which countries may have to drop out. I await to see how things go.

In many ways, this year was the one which decided the war. It might not seem it, but the four critical events occurred this year. Their importance doesn't become apparent until next year however. And even then, there's an awful lot of shouting to go.

Last edited:
Understood. I am not a writer in any way myself, but as an avid reader I can try to say how things may be. Well by 1920 we will see a new revised World. Old countries, borders, and alliances will not be the same as it was before.

The world will be very different. The US is going to be changed out of all recognition by years of brutal fighting on the western front. And the British are sort of going to shoot themselves in the foot. For very good reasons, but they will.

All shall be revealed in due time. We curse you for making us wait, but we will still read when you give us crumbs. :winkytongue:

All shall be revealed in due time. We curse you for making us wait, but we will still read when you give us crumbs. :winkytongue:

Still not sure what the post war will look like. All I know for sure is the British Empire will be in one hell of a lot better shape than anyone else. And possibly hated by everyone in Europe.