Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

what current flag did you use?...cos i dont recognise any of them

Not only he should learn to read the flag challenge, I should, too... My brilliant concept doesn't work with a POD around the time the flag of Argentina (1861) was adapted. Argh!

PS: And since I lack ideas and free time... No contest entry from me for this week (again)...

what current flag did you use?...cos i dont recognise any of them

Not only he should learn to read the flag challenge, I should, too... My brilliant concept doesn't work with a POD around the time the flag of Argentina (1861) was adapted. Argh!

Oh...poo!

My first reading didn't preclude fictional flags. Gah! :mad:

If Eigenwelt declares it void I'll think of something else...

this challenge just has nothing that springs to mind..cos it locks you in the present...granted its a future flag contest, but it locks entries up cos you have to use flags from the modern day...

unless he says from the flags inception date (like the union flag has being in use since 1801)...so we can have a chance at pods

this challenge just has nothing that springs to mind..cos it locks you in the present...granted its a future flag contest, but it locks entries up cos you have to use flags from the modern day...

unless he says from the flags inception date (like the union flag has being in use since 1801)...so we can have a chance at pods

Even that wouldn't work for me, since my work thus far is impossible with a 1861 POD (firmly republican Argentina by then)

Well, since they're current flags then it would be a POD from their inception, otherwise they wouldn't be current flags :D

So it would include future flags as well as things like a second French Revolution (since the tricolour is from the first revolution).

I'm stuck myself at present...

Basically, Scotland secedes and the UK drops the St. Andrew's Cross from the Union Jack.

EDIT, damn the export was screwed.

Flag of the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Green bar at the bottom for Wales, gold at the top for Northern Ireland (based on the Flag of Ulster), Cross of St. George for England

UKFG2.png

Last edited:
Following the attempt of a faction of alien space bats to influence the events on earth once more, Prince Alois of Liechtenstein is mind controled into leading a Coup d'Etat against his father to gain control of the principality. Upon assuming the throne, He declares himself king, establishing an autocratic Kingdom.

After a few months of sometime erratic rule, King Alois declares war on the Czech Republic and Slovakia to regain the lands once held by the House of Liechtenstein within their borders. Fearful of the real threat of invasion if the government follows through (especialy considering the lack of actual soldiers in the kingdom), a grassroot movement (dubbed the Skiers Revolution) quickly overthrow the ruling government and establish a republic.

Meanwhile, the alien space bats move on to San Marino.....

liech-evo.png

Belgium

After being seperated for some time in the 21st century, the regions of Wallonia and Flanders are to be joined together forcefully by a German-led European Empire at the end of the same century.

Belgium-1.jpg

And I set myself to work yet again to work out something new, this time getting rid of one of the worst European flags: The Belarussian flag! When Belarus' current government falls apart, maybe... The Belarussian People's Republic makes a bit of a comeback!

Image is huge so here is a link!

And yes, the sheet layout is almost identical to the La Plata one but...

Last edited:
And I set myself to work yet again to work out something new, this time getting rid of one of the worst European flags: The Belarussian flag! When Belarus' current government falls apart, maybe... The Belarussian People's Republic makes a bit of a comeback!

Image is huge so here is a link!

And yes, the sheet layout is almost identical to the La Plata one but...

Like in the other thread, link not working. Problem with the server ?

My first entry for the Weekly Flag Challenge, so please let me if something is wrong with my entry.

Also, my Arabic is, quite frankly non-existent, so I've employed GoogleTranslate. If something is off in the translations please let me know.

The scenario is basically the Arab Spring heats up in the Arabian peninsula and the Sauds are ousted, after which the new government sets about liberating the people of Yemen and Bahrain, who had been protesting and revolting for their rights parallel to the Arabians.

EDIT: I've edited my entry; a special thanks to JJDXB for help with the Arabic text.

FlagEntry_ArabFlag.png

Last edited:
My first entry for the Weekly Flag Challenge, so please let me if something is wrong with my entry.

Also, my Arabic is, quite frankly non-existent, so I've employed GoogleTranslate. If something is off in the translations please let me know.

The scenario is basically the Arab Spring heats up in the Arabian peninsula and the Sauds are ousted, after which the new government sets about liberating the people of Yemen and Bahrain, who had been protesting and revolting for their rights parallel to the Arabians.

Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.net/Paint apparently doesn't like Arabic...

They've written it left to right, rather than right-left, and haven't joined up the characters.

But a very good first entry nonetheless.

(don't worry, I used Google Translate for all of the Welsh and some of the French) :D

ixmwn.png

Sorry, wolfbrother, but I can't see anything...

Weekly Flag Challenge 53: So you say you want an evolution...

Your challenge, should you accept and submit, is to show the evolution of a current national flag from its present version to a new version after a change in government. This could be a regime change, revolution, election, abolishment/institution of a monarchy, etc.

EU is considered as a country or not?

Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.net/Paint apparently doesn't like Arabic...

They've written it left to right, rather than right-left, and haven't joined up the characters.

But a very good first entry nonetheless.

(don't worry, I used Google Translate for all of the Welsh and some of the French) :D

Shit. So the Arabic text merely needs to be reversed, correct?

Also, I am able to modify my entry as many times as I want up until the final date/time, correct?

Sorry, wolfbrother, but I can't see anything...

Is imgur blocked for you? If so its the first I've heard of the problem, its the best image hosting site I've come across. Perhaps I should attach the image in my post instead?

Also, I am able to modify my entry as many times as I want up until the final date/time, correct?

Is imgur blocked for you? If so its the first I've heard of the problem, its the best image hosting site I've come across. Perhaps I should attach the image in my post instead?

Yes, you can modify your entry as long as you finish it before the deadline.

And yes, attaching it would be practical. I have no idea why imgur is blocked for me, using Firefox with Adblock (which I deactivated just to check) isn't something which blocks imagehosters usually...

I don't think reversing the text helps. They've got the actual character orientation i.e. each character is facing the right way (R->L), but they've constructed the words in the wrong left to right order.

If you try and PM me with a pic of the text before you upload the revised version, I'll check if the Arabic is the right way round.

Yes, you can modify your entry as long as you finish it before the deadline.

And yes, attaching it would be practical. I have no idea why imgur is blocked for me, using Firefox with Adblock (which I deactivated just to check) isn't something which blocks imagehosters usually...

I had no idea you could modify it...

Here my first entry for the Challenge, a Great Union of China Flag.

In 2013, under the influence of a few members of the Communist Party, China annex Macau, Hong-Kong, becomes a bit democratic and was renamed People's Federation of China.

In 2015, under threat of a communist revolt in Taiwan, RoC's rulers agree to join the Federation. The Great Union of China, a semi-democratic superpower, is born.

Chinese translation is from Google, so...;)

11090412224972463.png

I had no idea you could modify it...

I modified a few of my entries in the past without complains. After all, as long as you are done before the end of the deadline it shouldn't matter how much you modify it, even after posting your first draft. E.g. when you notice a graphic glitch you should always have the right to correct it.