Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

*reads with interest, nodding alone*

Turbo-Poland ! Even without the Hungarian-Polish Angevins ! :p You done me proud, son, mighty proud. :cool: :D

On a sidenote, the palatine Peter Korvinský made me think not only of Corvinus (and ravens in general), but also of Peter Kosminsky. :p

Minor nitpick might be whether a Polono-centric monarchy like this would accept the title of palatine. Always sounded very Hungarian to me, in the context of a royal bureaucrat, royal right-hand-man. But oh well...

I tried to create something appropriate for Easter Passion or April Foolery but instead went for March Madness:

Interesting challenge. The Royal March, as described, is a former borderland territory that was later incorporated more closely into a particular ATL monarchy, right ?

Last edited:
On a sidenote, the palatine Peter Korvinský made me think not only of Corvinus (and ravens in general), but also of Peter Kosminsky. :p
I do like it when people get my subtle references :biggrin:.
Thanks for all the kind words too.

Minor nitpick might be whether a Polono-centric monarchy like this would accept the title of palaine. Always sounded very Hungarian to me, in the context of a royal bureaucrat, royal right-hand-man. But oh well...
Yeah, Poland's use of palatine merged with wojewode/voivode fairly early and the latter was too close to multiple titles than a prime minister should be. Since I had Poland join with the ATL Slovak kingdom Tatrania I could creep it in from former Hungarian usage and still be acceptable to the Czechs later. The Slowak triple kingdom isn't quite Polono-centric since the Silesians are considered Czech(ish) ITTL but they are a major proportion of the population and nobility, probably 3:2:1 [edit: 4:2:1 at most] Polish:Bohemian:Tatran.

Interesting challenge. The Royal March, as described, is a former borderland territory that was later incorporated more closely into a particular ATL monarchy, right ?
Yes, exactly. Borderland territory inherited by the monarch that was maintained as a separate administration or identity.

Last edited:
No entries?
It's Easter which is traditionally slow, I'll probably need to extend it depending on interest. Though I am worried I made it too difficult.

I would but I don't want to so I'm just waiting till this ends. What hapens if it ends with no submissions?
Generally, if after an extra week extension there's no entries I'll have to cancel and come up with another idea.

Any feedback on interest/difficulty etc gratefully accepted.

I honestly do not understand this challenge.
Ok:
  • There's a place called the March of X
  • At one point was inherited by the King of Y but kept its own administration as the March of X
  • As such it's commonly called the Royal March
  • Design a flag for the March of X
  • Said flag must be at minimum a Banner of Arms, at maximum a flag bearing the full crest, shield, supporters combo (see the 2 example flags for the French Arms)
  • X/Y can be any nonfictional nonASB places.
Does that help? If not, which bit am I confusing you on?

Hang on, let's see if I've got this right by using Britain as an example:
  • Britain exists
  • At one point it gains a king known as King y
  • So we design a flag for Britain during King Y's reign?
Not quite. "Britain" still needs to be a March that was already part of King Y's Kingdom Z. And the flag is for the March during the time the King/Queen of Z is also Margrave of "Britain" not just King Y.
So the Monarch's personal flag as Margrave/Marquis (not King/Queen), or a rival claimant to Margrave, or an independence movement.
If the Duchy of Lancaster was a march/margraviate/marquisate then it would fit this challenge as the Lancaster Estate is still held separate to the Crown Estate of England. Its Arms are still extant and can be used separate to the English Arms.

Krall

Banned
this challenge is too complicated. not the design part, the historical setting. Pretty sure 90% of the people have no understanding of medieval politics
Yeah the convoluted requirements for the history of the world put me off. It's just not inspiring, I'm afraid.

this challenge is too complicated. not the design part, the historical setting. Pretty sure 90% of the people have no understanding of medieval politics

Yeah the convoluted requirements for the history of the world put me off. It's just not inspiring, I'm afraid.

Buggeration! I thought it would be understandable since it seemed fairly common, at least in terms of lesser nobles becoming kings and land reverting back to the Crown.

What are the minimal changes needed to make it understandable without losing the design? Allow duchies and principalities? My inspiration was basically Wales and Moravia without it being the heir apparent in charge.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Buggeration! I thought it would be understandable since it seemed fairly common, at least in terms of lesser nobles becoming kings and land reverting back to the Crown.

So, wait, is the March meant to be specifically held by the monarch? Like, a march that's held by a noble wouldn't count?

What are the minimal changes needed to make it understandable without losing the design? Allow duchies and principalities? My inspiration was basically Wales and Moravia without it being the heir apparent in charge.

Hmm, maybe remove the requirement for reversion to the crown? It seemed needlessly restrictive to have it become crownlands with the coronation of a Margrave as king.

Last edited:
So, wait, is the March meant to be specifically held by the monarch? Like, a march that's held by a noble wouldn't count?
That was the idea.

Hmm, maybe remove the requirement for reversion to the crown? It seemed needlessly restrictive to have it become crownlands with the coronation of a Margrave as king.
Well the idea was to avoid it being just any border province.
I suppose I could go with it being held by someone close in the succession.

How does this sound for an alteration? "Banner of Arms [etc] for a border province of a kingdom. Said province is not a kingdom itself (nor was one OTL post 1300s) and is held by a member of the royal family." That removes it being specifically held by the monarch and allows ranks of Count/Earl upwards while still being a "Royal March".

How about this?
The Earldom of Northumbria is granted (as OTL) to Henry of Scotland by Stephen of England. Henry does not die before he accedes to the Scottish throne and thus the earldom is retained by the crown, but it is granted to a son of the king, not held by the king himself. Following the accession of Henry II to the English throne after the civil war, the Treaty of Horndean confirmed the earldom as an English fief held by the Scottish throne. The First Barons' War in England changed this. Alexander II withheld homage from Louis and on the death of John provided troops in support of Henry III. This support was recognised in the Treaty of Kingston which stated that the King of Scots owed no fealty to the King of England for the Earldom.
The status of Northumbria as English or Scottish remained unclear until the 1237 Treaty of York, which confirmed the boundary between the two countries to be the Solway Firth in the west and the mouth of the River Tees in the east (the southern boundary of Bernicia, one of the 6th/7th century predecessors to the kingdom of Northumbria). The Earldom of Northumbria became the East March of Scotland, more southerly than OTL.

As the March is held by a son of the king, the banner of arms is the king's arms with a bordure (following the Stodart cadency system); if the king has no son, the post is held vacant but still held by the Scots throne.
This particular banner of arms shows a later version of the lion rampant, surrounded by a bordure of the Northumbria colours (paly Or and gules). I don't have time to do the full achievement of arms, but it would have the same in the shield, with a royal helm and a crest with a prince's crown and a lion holding a cross (symbolising the importance of Christianity in Northumbria) and a sword, with supporters of St. Cuthbert of Lindisfarne and a unicorn (for Scotland), and a motto 'fides et vigilantia' meaning 'faith and watchfulness'.
Escutcheon Or a lion rampant within a double tressure flory counter-flory gules (for the Kingdom of Scotland), within a bordure paly Or and gules embattled counter-embattled (for Northumbria); For a Crest, upon a Royal helm a princely crown proper, a lion sejant affrontée Gules, princely crowned Or, holding in the dexter paw a cross and in the sinister paw a sword both erect and proper; Motto 'fides et vigilantia' (faith and watchfulness); Mantling Or and gules; for Supporters, dexter St Cuthbert holding a pastoral staff, sinister a unicorn Argent armed, crined and unguled Proper, gorged with a princely coronet Or a chain affixed thereto passing between the forelegs and reflexed over the back also Or.

After all that, here's the banner of arms of Robert, 11th Warder of the East March of Scotland, being the Earldom of Northumbria, held in perpetuity by the Scots throne and invested in the son of the King of Scots:
20180402-FlagChallenge-EastMarchScotlandNorthumbria-FGv1_2-800x600.png

ps it might look like the rule of tincture is violated here, but that doesn't apply with bordures; it is unusual for the bordure to share one of the tinctures of the field, but not completely unheard of.

Edited to comply with size limits - flag now 800x600
Edited to clarify that the March/Earldom is a part of the Kingdom of Scotland.

Last edited: