Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The goal as I understand it is to design an ensign for a nation that only uses its national flag or distortion thereof.
Correct. There are lots of nations which just use their national flags as ensigns, so imho the criteria don't need relaxing - there are loads of possibilities. I specifically kept it to ensigns and didn't mention jacks so that nations which have a separate jack but use their national flag as ensign are still eligible.

Having said all of that, since the entry by @Green Painting is the only one so far, and because of the outage today, I'm extending the submissions period for a week, as per Rule 4. I've amended the Challenge Post accordingly, both here and in the Challenges thread.

Austrian Naval Ensign
Here is my entry. It's supposed to be a naval ensign for Austria. The white and red are taken from the national flag and the black and yellow are Habsburg Colors. I got my inspiration from the Belgian one.
Austria.png

Last edited:
Pennant of the San Marino merchant marine.png

San Marino merchant marine ensign (pennant form) from TL-514

----

Excerpts from an MSSE dossier [1], based on information collected by the MIEC [2] of the IDA [3]:

"TL-514 is fairly similar to TL-75 [4], TL-132 and TL-772. It is speculated it might be an offshoot of either of these three timelines.

At some point in the late 19th or 20th century, the government of the Most Serene Republic of San Marino decided to enter the shipping business. Landlocked, and with barely an army, it was clear to everyone a Sanmarinese navy would remain an impossibility. However, enterprising politicians and businessmen saw economic potential in a tiny merchant marine. It was argued a few freighters could earn extra cash for the national budget by ferrying various goods on both chartered and regular lines. To this end, funds were raised, the Maritime Shipping Company of San Marino was established, and eventually a few freighters were bought. To this day, the Republic of San Marino in TL-514 still operates its own merchant marine of no more than 5 international freighters. The ships are registered at Italian or Maltese ports.

Over the decades, the San Marino merchant marine ensign has undergone several variations. The latest iteration was created and approved in the 1970s. It uses a pennant shape and contains heraldic charges depicted in the national coat of arms, but in a highly stylised form, with simplified modern contours."

Notes:
[1] - Multiverse Sociopolitical Survey Expedition
[2] - Multiverse Institute Exploration Corps
[3] - InterDimensional Alliance (a sort of multiversal UN/NATO)
[4] - OTL

Last edited:
@Petike
Congratulations, a resounding victory for your San Marino pennant (and nice ATL to go with it, imho).

Yeah, I am equally overjoyed by how well it went. :cool: Originally, I did not even plan to enter this round, but it seems to have payed off ! :) Thank you for the congratulations. :cool:

Currently, I have run into some tech issues and sadly wont have an Internet connection handy at home (writing this from a friends computer), but I want to get this solved in the coming days, or week or two.

I have already posted the new challenge. I will also try to get the poll posted once the round finishes. Good luck to all with the flags. Hope you come up with some stunning designs. ;)

@Petike
Can I just clarify a couple of things from the new challenge?
1. "any of the Slavic nations of Europe, excepting Russia."
Does the Slavic nation need to be an OTL nation, or can it be an ATL one?
If OTL, then this would be the following nations: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bulgaria - yes?
2. "colonies, overseas territories and other dependencies in Asia"
Obviously Asia will include Turkey (well, most of it - Asia Minor as was) and the Middle East. But where do we stop in the east? If we use the wikipedia map, it includes most of Indonesia! How strict is the definition for this challenge?

Sorry to be asking awkward questions!

FLAG CHALLENGE #187: Go East, Younguns !

Colonies or overseas territories of Slavic nations other than Russia in Asia

Fairly straightforward. Make flags for OTL or ATL long-term colonies, overseas territories and other dependencies in Asia, created by any of the Slavic nations of Europe, excepting Russia. Furthermore, you cannot use the OTL pan-Slavic tricolor, it is out. These two restrictions are in place to make the challenge a bit more tricky and... well, challenging. Which part of Asia the colony is founded in doesn't really matter, that's up to you. Just to counterbalance the two major restrictions. ;) Get creative ! :cool:

Submissions Open: Now (3 May 2018, Thursday)
Submissions Close: 9 May 2018 (Wednesday) 8:00:00 AM GMT
Voting Period: 9 May 2018 (Wednesday) - 14 May 2018 (Monday) 18:00:00 PM GMT

Reposting this here, just in case.

@Petike
Can I just clarify a couple of things from the new challenge?
1. "any of the Slavic nations of Europe, excepting Russia."
Does the Slavic nation need to be an OTL nation, or can it be an ATL one?
If OTL, then this would be the following nations: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bulgaria - yes?

Yes. You can use any OTL Slavic nationality from outside of Russian territory. Not only contemporary existing ones, but even past ones, within reason (e.g. ATL empires descended from early medieval Slavic tribes or nationalities, etc.). Try not to go ASB.

2. "colonies, overseas territories and other dependencies in Asia"
Obviously Asia will include Turkey (well, most of it - Asia Minor as was) and the Middle East. But where do we stop in the east? If we use the wikipedia map, it includes most of Indonesia! How strict is the definition for this challenge?

I didn't mention that ASB is allowed, so try to keep it relatively realistic. You don't need hardcore realism, but something as wacky as the Lusatian Sorbs creating a colony in Tibet is off the cards. Bulgaria having a colony in the Levant or Anatolia or something is more probable. Or Poland having a small colony somewhere in India, and so on. The only POD cut-off is 2018.

If possible, try to avoid wanked Slavic superstates that colonise half of Asia out of the blue. The colonisers are meant to be smaller countries, the colonies are meant to be small as well (think "Dutch colonies in the Caribbean, or slightly larger" in terms of size).

Tricky challenge, yes, but that's part of the fun.

Sorry to be asking awkward questions!

No, it's okay.

No entries so far. Should I prolong the challenge ?

Don't have an Internet connection at home at the moment (to my great regret), but I will update everything if needed, and the poll is coming on time (whether on the current date or at a later one, if we move the deadline).

Last edited:
A day or two extension would be great - it's the end of my children's school holidays plus we've just had a family birthday, so although I've got an idea, I haven't had time to turn it into a flag yet.
Having said that, if you get enough entries by the original deadline, just ignore me...it's not your problem if I can't make a deadline! :oops:

I have a flag:

It's the Montenegrin Austro-Hungarian Colony of the Nicobar Islands!

(Obviously)

OTL, Austria tried to set up a colony there in 1778, and my POD is that it actually succeeds, as does Austria-Hungary; fast-forward, and the Montenegrin part of AH has many refugees seeking out a new life, and for some reason they go to the Nicobar Islands, hence the Slavic bit.

Rather flimsy backstory, but here's the flag:
Flag of the Week One.png

Protectorate of Syria(1917-?)
Bulgaria Joins the Entente instead of the Central powers in WW1 resulting in a quicker victory.Upon victory, Bulgaria annexes parts of Syria and instates a controlled goverment, effectively Syria becoming a colony of Bulgaria.
BulSyria.png

Hopefully not too late but not a problem if so.

Republic of Gova

Illyrican Gova.png

Gova is a dependency in association with the United Kingdom of Illyrica. It was founded around New Dubrovnik by the Illyrican Indian Company (formerly the Royal Cravat-Dalmatian-Ragusan Indian Company).
Its flag developed from the company flag of Blue and Gold stripes with a canton of the Kingdom of Cravatia, Dalmatia, & Ragusa. The stripes settled on 6 and became Green and Orange under influence of the Governor Ḉorḉ Vosniak.
[POD is Croatia-Dalmatia continuing as an independent kingdom and expanding southward]