TL: Alan Keyes' End of History

Keyes is arguably to the hard right of the Republican Party as Harold Stassen is to the liberal wing of the party. Someone who began as something of a serious figure who ended up becoming a bit of a joke, in large part due to running for office too many times.

Update 4 (1992 Conventions to 1992 Election Night)
“George noted that his 1972 convention speech was the best he made, but no one watched due to the nomination floor fight. This time around, he got the ability to present his message to the voters. Most people only knew him as the guy who only won Massachusetts or the guy their parents were scared of; but now they got to see him for what he really was. If the campaign with McGovern was about truth, we would have won.”
-Rep. John Lewis, George McGovern: A Life

“BUSH: I’ve always been drawn to baseball. I think Laura can back me up with how tired she gets of hearing me go on about all sorts of nerdy stuff.

ROSE: Have you ever considered a career in politics like your father and grandfather?

BUSH: Like any American surrounded by great men, of course, I’ve kept it into consideration. I think to see the strain that being president had on my father really brought me away from the business. My little brother looks like he might be the one to carry on that side of the family!”
-George W. Bush on Charlie Rose, 9/7/92

McGOVERN WINS FIRST DEBATE: KEYES MELTDOWN

In a historic three-way match between President Keyes, Sen. McGovern, and Mr. Perot, it appears that the Democrats may have the strong performance they need to regain the White House. In his opening statement, McGovern stated that “The Democratic Party were the ones with the political courage to call out President Keyes’ mistakes even when he was popular. We cannot ignore the suffering of the people in the wake of the disastrous Republican economic policies.”

Perot’s approach was different, focusing on the U.S. trade and foreign relations. His memorable line of the night was when he said that if President Keyes signed NAFTA, it would lead to a “giant sucking sound” of jobs to Mexico. Perot also warned against the rise of Japan in the global economy.

Alan Keyes appears to be the clear loser. While the “amnesty, abortion, and acid” attack worked for Nixon in 1972, it appears that voters aren’t taking it as such a serious issue. Post-debate polls of undecided voters show that many don’t think that the so-called “moral crusade” of the president is what is appropriate in the time of a recession. Keyes doesn’t appear to be baking down, stating that he “stands for the defense of innocent life. I stand for the defense of traditional marriage. I stand on the platform of those great principles that Martin Luther King fought for, and that Frederick Douglass espoused, as they fought against great injustices.”
-The Washington Post 10/12/92

---

“We were falling behind after the debates. It was effectively a three-way tie in the polls, and we needed a way to get around that. Of course, we once were behind by 17 points in ‘88. I put together a strategy to make the race not about us, but about McGovern’s personal life. We needed Keyes’ cultural war narrative to have something to stand on before we could unleash it.”
-Lee Atwater in Alan Keyes’ End of History

McGOVERN HAD ILLEGITIMATE CHILD

Democratic presidential nominee George McGovern fathered an illegitimate child according to leaked documents from the FBI. Documents indicate that before the former Senator was drafted in World War II, he had impregnated a woman. The woman left for relatives in Fort Worth, where she secretly gave birth to the child. Documents indicate that George McGovern is named as the father on the birth certificate. Reports of such a secret child have followed McGovern, with Richard Nixon knowing about such information during the 1972 presidential campaign.

Immediately, reactions have come in from the political world. President Keyes has said that Senator McGovern “has a black heart” and “no morals.” Meanwhile, independent candidate Ross Perot attacked the use of “dirty politics” but raised concerns on McGovern’s credibility.
-NBC Nightly News, 10/26/92

“From there, it was steady sailing for us. McGovern’s name was tarnished, and this minor document, which wasn’t an extremely big deal and already somewhat public knowledge, allowed others to come up with more outlandish claims. This felt like nothing to me. I was soulless, heartless. McGovern was a war veteran and a seasoned public servant, he didn’t deserve any of this. I put he and his family though too much. What his daughter went through has horrific. I’ve failed morally as a person.”

“IT’S KEYES!”
-Time magazine, 11/4/92

YrtOavP.png

(shoutout to Gonzo for that wikibox)

“Ed, how the fuck is it democratic for me to get more votes than this hippie and only win one god damm state?”

“We went over this, Ross.”
-Ross Perot with campaign manager Ed Rollins, 11/4/92

“It doesn’t hurt as much the second time, does it?”
-George McGovern, 11/4/92

Last edited:
Perot has a valid point there.

Yeah, according to the OTL results, he did very well out west, also coming very close in Utah and Alaska. I would edit the map to include those states.

In any case, Perot winning a state, and Keyes potential screw ups, could lay the groundwork for Perot to build a successful new party.

Geez it must be bad if Lee Atwater of all people is showing some genuine remorse.

Great work as always @Oppo.
well he did in OTL, i dont see how much its diffrent ITTL.

Well, there is an anecdote that pokes holes in the idea that he was remorseful and found god, OTL.

Mary Matalin claims he never even unpacked his new bible from the package, proving that his born-again Christian thing was just for PR.

Although, depending on how bad Keyes actually is, I can imagine he would bring out some scorn from Atwater.

Update 5 (Various Events of 1993)
“Even in 1992, we still were of the mindsight that Keyes should be given a chance and that he needed to grow into the office. We were wrong. I think Election Night really made me feel that Keyes had a dangerous vision for the country.”

“NIXON: Congratulations on another term, Mr. President.

KEYES: Let me tell you, it’s a delight to be speaking with you, Mr. President.

NIXON: Please, call me, Dick. We’re both part of the beating George McGovern club right now.

KEYES: It’s not very difficult to gain membership in it!

NIXON: You know, I won’t be around many more years, but I’ll die proudly knowing that you’re here to defend America. I see a lot of myself in you.”
-White House phone conversation, 11/6/92

“KEYES: I want you to know before I sign this treaty, that Mexico will never threaten America’s sovereignty again.

SALINAS: Don’t shoot yourself in the foot, Alan.”
-Presidents Alan Keyes and Carlos Salinas de Gortari, 12/17/92

“We are now approaching a new century, one where America reigns supreme over the forces of godless communism. It appears that a new battle will be forming at home as we decide whether to fall into the trap of social Marxism or the morals that our Founding Fathers built the nation on.”
-Alan Keyes’ inaugural address, 1/20/93

“Fuhrer Keyes is trying to turn us into the Khmer Rouge. He’s planning his own little ‘social experiment’ over some bullshit like gay TV show characters and violent games. At least Pol Pot could back up what he was saying.”
-Jello Biafra at an anti-Keyes protest 1/21/93

“DAVID: What a schmuck! Honestly, Jerry, I might just have to get into politics to stop this.

SEINFELD: What, are you crazy? Are you out of your mind?”
-A bar in New York City, sometime in early 1993

“DISASTER IN NEW YORK: BOMBING LEAVES WTC WITH SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE”
-New York Times, 2/26/93

“This is a point where we can all unite together as Americans against the threat of terrorism.”
-Alan Keyes press conference, 2/26/93

“ZHIRINOVSKY DEFEATS RUTSKOY & TULEVEV - FORESHADOWING FOR SOVIET GENERAL ELECTIONS?”
-Novy Vzglyad, 3/04/93

“DPRK TO WITHDRAW FROM NPT IN THREE MONTHS”
-KCNA, 3/12/93

“I will fight to the bitter end, even if you crucify me. I am reminded of Jesus Christ on the way to Golgotha, how he walked through the streets and people spit on him."
-Mikhail Gorbachev upon hearing of the first round of Soviet election results, 5/25/93

“The LDPSU had turned from a minor party to a serious threat. Sure, the party was a combination of fascists, neo-Stalinists, reformists, and other wackos, but they had managed to tap into the hearts of the dissatisfied Soviet people. Even the Western world was glad when Viktor Anpilov came into power, despite his passion to create a new Russian Empire.”
-P.J. O’Rourke in Peace Kills: America's Fun New Imperialism

“ANPILOV: CHECHEN REBELLION WILL FACE ‘FIRE AND FURY’”
-CBS News

BFk0IsY.png

Last edited:
Im actually holding myself to await judgment on Keye's Presidency, on one hand i see the dangers of having someone as unstable as Keyes as the face of Social Conservatism in the future but I also would appreciate a Culture warrior who would be able to affect the issues I particulay care about, (for example it be damn awesome if he could get a Pro Life amendment through the states)

Expanding on that, I think if Keyes keeps his marbles together long enough, hes actually set up really well for his first term. Hes about to come into a governoring majority in the House (the Republican revolution would of come with or without Clinton) and the nation by in large is sympathetic towards his goals on the home front.

I really hope Keyes doesn't go totally bugnuts.

The good news is, if he doesn't, he should end up being a very popular President for the same reason Clinton was in OTL - a booming economy can coat over a lot of flaws. Hell, it took damn near 30 years for people outside the right wing to admit maybe a good economy doesn't make up for Clinton's sexual misbehavior... perhaps the same will be said ITTL of Keyes' homophobia.

I'm kind of curious how this had effected black culture - you had rappers like Easy E meeting George HW Bush, and with a black Republican in the White House, I don't imagine the Banks' family's status as black Republicans will be a punch line for much longer on Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I wonder if more black Republicans might also seek higher office, or do so sooner - Frank Cousins in Massachusetts, James Garner in New York, JC Watts in Oklahoma, Ken Hamlin in Colorado, Alveda King in Georgia, and of course, returning war hero Colin Powell. That alone could have MASSIVE political consequences.