TL: Alan Keyes' End of History

I'm loving this as always @Oppo!

That is really concerning stuff coming out of Russia there, the reference to Chechnya doesn't give me much hope considering what occurred under a relative moderate like Yeltsin OTL...

I do love it when P.J. O'Rourke pops up, it usually means something bad will happen. That also sounds like an actual book he'd write.

Having Nixon get a lot of access to the White House in the 1990s is interesting as he was sort of allowed back OTL due to his expertise and interest in FoPo. With someone highly receptive like Keyes in the WH and who has quite NeoCon FoPo views... then things can and will get interesting.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Im actually holding myself to await judgment on Keye's Presidency, on one hand i see the dangers of having someone as unstable as Keyes as the face of Social Conservatism in the future but I also would appreciate a Culture warrior who would be able to affect the issues I particulay care about, (for example it be damn awesome if he could get a Pro Life amendment through the states)
Don't drag this into current political debate.

It would be... unwise.

I really hope Keyes doesn't go totally bugnuts.

The good news is, if he doesn't, he should end up being a very popular President for the same reason Clinton was in OTL - a booming economy can coat over a lot of flaws. Hell, it took damn near 30 years for people outside the right wing to admit maybe a good economy doesn't make up for Clinton's sexual misbehavior... perhaps the same will be said ITTL of Keyes' homophobia.

I'm kind of curious how this had effected black culture - you had rappers like Easy E meeting George HW Bush, and with a black Republican in the White House, I don't imagine the Banks' family's status as black Republicans will be a punch line for much longer on Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I wonder if more black Republicans might also seek higher office, or do so sooner - Frank Cousins in Massachusetts, James Garner in New York, JC Watts in Oklahoma, Ken Hamlin in Colorado, Alveda King in Georgia, and of course, returning war hero Colin Powell. That alone could have MASSIVE political consequences.

I don't know.

Keyes is stated to be a controversial figure ITTL, p
otentially, a downright unpopular and hated one
. The fact that Atwater has come to regret choosing Keyes means he will not be seen favorably even by conservatives, let alone centrists who might join the Freedom Party permanently ITTL.

So I doubt most Black American politicians would ever emulate him.

Despite Keyes being the first black President, most black Americans would still vote Democrat. Even more left-wing African Americans would claim that "Keyes sold out to the racist Republican establishment."

I bet if Aaron MacGruder were to make the Boondocks, he would portrays Keyes as a literal agent of Satan.

I don't know.

Keyes is stated to be a controversial figure ITTL, p
otentially, a downright unpopular and hated one
. The fact that Atwater has come to regret choosing Keyes means he will not be seen favorably even by conservatives, let alone centrists who might join the Freedom Party permanently ITTL.

So I doubt most Black American politicians would ever emulate him.

Despite Keyes being the first black President, most black Americans would still vote Democrat. Even more left-wing African Americans would claim that "Keyes sold out to the racist Republican establishment."

I bet if Aaron MacGruder were to make the Boondocks, he would portrays Keyes as a literal agent of Satan.

With the Michael Moore documentary, I am hoping worst case is George W Bush... loathed by some, loved by others.

With the Michael Moore documentary, I am hoping worst case is George W Bush... loathed by some, loved by others.

Again, if Atwater, of all people, is appearing in a Michael Moore movie to express his dislike of Keyes, that is not a good sign.

The fact that Keyes is giving cash to neofascists seems to be the tip of the iceberg.

Again, if Atwater, of all people, is appearing in a Michael Moore movie to express his dislike of Keyes, that is not a good sign.
Is it though, I mean hes about to die so he wont be taking anymore jobs in Republican campagins. Atwater may of just said "screw it, Ill say what I really think, Now that I have nothing to lose"

Great timeline, feels like I’m watching the evolution of a new classic.

Oh lord, Waco is going to be complete hell isn’t it?

Great timeline, feels like I’m watching the evolution of a new classic.

Oh lord, Waco is going to be complete hell isn’t it?

Yeah. How will the militia movement react to Keyes? Will they point to him as an obvious example of government tyranny, or a kindred spirit who is fighting the Illuminati?

Will they point to him as an obvious example of government tyranny, or a kindred spirit who is fighting the Illuminati?
On the one hand hes black which will be a big no no to alot of milita groups but on the other hand hell be going full on Culture war for his entire administration so i think alot would probably agree with him on that.

Update 5 (1993 - Part 2)
c12a6d91-003d-475f-a3c3-4ad5998967e7.jpg

“John, I don’t think we’re going to have the votes, even if Owen and the Unionists are on board.”
-Tory chief whip Richard Ryder at 10 Downing Street, 7/23/93

“When an election was called, I think we all knew that John Smith was going to move into Number 10. That’s what made his sudden passing in the middle of the campaign all the more shocking.”
-NATO Secretary-General and former SLD leader Paddy Ashdown in New Labor - New Danger

“Tony Blair’s last test before coming to power was when he took over the 1993 campaign. Sure, Beckett was acting leader, but no one really felt that she would be Prime Minister for a significant period. There was always a doubt that we’d never win, but Blair made the public know that Britain was primed for the era of a new Labour government. When it was announced that Labour would win over 400 seats, this was our moment to shine.”
-Alastair Campbell, The Legacy of New Labor

“This is why I am announcing my candidacy for the Labour Party leadership. (booing) We...we...can not have an undemocratic process, this...this is not a coronation for Tony Blair...we must be prudent as we renter power”
-Chancellor Gordon Brown announcement speech for the Labour leadership, 8/27/93

“Michael Heseltine has been elected leader of the Conservative Party.”
-Chairman of the 1922 Committee Marcus Fox

“RUMORS OF TORY DEFECTIONS TO REFERENDUM PARTY/SDP”
-The Sun

“I am proud to have the great privilege of serving on the Supreme Court.”
-Associate Justice Emilio Garza 9/3/93

“The negotiations presented today at the Uruguay Round are a disaster for all the nations of the world. We cannot have a foreign organization take away the fundamental principles that our sovereign nation was built upon.”
-President Alan Keyes 9/12/93

ARSENIO: NEW KING OF LATE NIGHT?

The Arsenio Hall Show appears to be edging ahead of its rivals, with The Tonight Show displaying its lowest ratings, appearing to make NBC network executives scared. Younger views seem to feel that Johnny Carson’s time has passed, with Tonight having the highest age demographic on late night. CBS may also have concerns; while the first episode of Nightly with Jay Leno had great ratings, its ratings have sagged in recent months. It appears that Arsenio has truly kicked Jay’s ass according to those watching at home.
-Us Weekly, 9/25/93

BOUCHARD TAKES MINORITY GOVERNMENT: MOST DIVIDED PARLIAMENT EVER

In what is possibly the most fragmented Canadian Parliament since Confederation, the Progressive Conservatives appear to have the most number of seats in a highly divided election. Highly reliant on Quebec voters to make up their losses out West, Lucien Bouchard appears to be satisfied in the Progressive Conservatives’ electoral comeback. The Liberal Party under former cabinet minister Jean Chrétien has ended up continuing as the official opposition, but Liberals allied to former leadership candidate Paul Martin will not be satisfied with more time in the opposition. Naturally, the Liberals might turn to the NDP for support, but Audrey McLaughlin’s attempts to win voters in Quebec have not gone well as traditional Western support has gone to Preston Manning’s Reform Party.
-The Globe and Mail, 10/25/93

“I’m gonna shoot myself if we have to deal with that French bastard for another four years.”
-Lee Atwater, 10/25/93

“Eventually, a tripartisan budget managed to pass through, with opposition only coming from the NDP and the fringes of Reform.”
-Former Leader of the Opposition Paul Martin

“WHY DINKINS LOST & INNIS WON"
-New York Post, 11/3/93

Last edited: