TL: Alan Keyes' End of History

I think even being compare to Zhrinovsky’s Russian Empire is high praise :eek: - but you could very well say that they have a similar POD.

You should make a foreign policy update. The Persian Gulf War didn't happen, so that's an interesting POD right there.

You should make a foreign policy update. The Persian Gulf War didn't happen, so that's an interesting POD right there.
There is still a lot of foreign policy going on especially as we move on. Keep posted.

Also, the Gulf War does still happen. Unless I’ve said otherwise, the events of 1989-1991 go the same.

I think even being compare to Zhrinovsky’s Russian Empire is high praise :eek: - but you could very well say that they have a similar POD.

It is similar in a number of ways - a man largely seen as a political punchline IOTL who actually could have been a contender in his early days comes to power in the early 1990s and proceeds to muck everything up. That, as well as the use of false documents and details such as a surviving USSR coming under control of the LDPR give the story an altogether similar feel.

I will say that it’s actually quite refreshing that you found someone other than Zhirinovsky to lead the LDPSU; he’s not quite a cliche yet, but his frequent appearances as an AH villain border on overuse. Considering Anpilov’s OTL support of Zhirinovsky and his alleged Pamyat ties, he makes a good and relatively plausible neo-Stalinist bad guy.

Last edited:
I will say that it’s actually quite refreshing that you found someone other than Zhirinovsky to lead the LDPSU; he’s not quite a cliche yet, but his frequent appearances as an AH villain border on overuse. Considering Anpilov’s OTL support of Zhirinovsky and his alleged Pamyat ties, he makes a good and relatively plausible now-Stalinist bad guy.

I haven't used him yet, but I've always felt that Dmitry Vasilyev (who was Pamyat's founder) would make a great substitute for Zhirinovsky in the "major Russian far-right nationalist politician" sense.

@Oppo What was President Keynes’ reaction to the Rodney King verdict and the Los Angeles Riots?
Keyes stated that the riots were caused by a lack of moral values and a move away from typical family relations. He would dismiss McGovern's claims that the cause behind the riots was the economic and social policies of the Reagan administration.

Keyes stated that the riots were caused by a lack of moral values and a move away from typical family relations. He would dismiss McGovern's claims that the cause behind the riots was the economic and social policies of the Reagan administration.
This killed his efforts to get Black votes I guess and made the Black ministers who could of cozyed up to him due to being black and far more to the Right socially than the Democratic candadites run away from him like a red hot gernade

Last edited:
@Oppo what was Keyes' percentage of the black vote like in 1992? I guess there would have been a slight jump owing to his position as the first A-A POTUS(?).

@Oppo what was Keyes' percentage of the black vote like in 1992? I guess there would have been a slight jump owing to his position as the first A-A POTUS(?).
Something like this. Keyes does the best of any post-CRA candidate, but that's largely due to the strong Republican performance, weak Democratic performance, and the Perot factor.

McGovern (D) - 74%
Keyes (R) - 19%
Perot (I) - 10%

Something like this. Keyes does the best of any post-CRA candidate, but that's largely due to the strong Republican performance, weak Democratic performance, and the Perot factor.

McGovern (D) - 74%
Keyes (R) - 19%
Perot (I) - 10%

Unsurprisingly, I can imagine a lot of black Americans being very mortified that Alan Keyes was the first Black President. Being a hyper-conservative, he will probably do very little to advance the cause of the downtrodden.

It might get even worse even Keyes is unhinged enough to declare himself "a true representative of black America."

Update 6 (1994)
Kim-Il-Sung-April-16-1994-2-675x368.jpg

"Throughout the world, there are still places where the reign of tyranny rules of morals and freedom. To any nation that wishes to use illegal means to acquire weapons of mass destruction, America is watching. And America will not back down.”
-Alan Keyes’ State of the Union, 1/25/94

“If Kim Il-Sung decides to continue his path to gaining nuclear weapons, the United States cannot in good conscience let them get away with it. This will set a path for other rogue states, such as Iraq and Libya, to acquire access to the bomb.”
-Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, 1/27/94

“CONGRESS PASSES RESOLUTION: ALLOWS KEYES TO USE FORCE AGAINST NORTH KOREA”
-Chicago Sun-Times, 2/4/94

“It’s time for a new era of Italian politics.”
-Prime Minister Stefano Rodotà, 3/27/94

“I will not surrender! The Soviets, they’re going after me! History will view me as the righteous one”
-Businessman and politician Silvio Berlusconi being arrested following corruption scandals

“PRESIDENT RICHARD NIXON: 1913-1994”
-PBS, 4/22/94

“The parting of a dear friend to me and many other presidents is one that will be missed. Yes, Richard Nixon had his flaws, but he is someone who had a strong belief in the forces of good.”
-Alan Keyes’ eulogy for Richard Nixon, 4/27/94

“KEYES ANNOUNCES STRIKES ON PYONGYANG”
-Time, 6/15/94

“Alan Keyes and his Western imperialists will be forced to feel the full wrath of the great Korean state!”
-Kim Il-sung's last public speech

“The United States of America is at war. This is not a decision we have taken lightly - yet it is one we will execute until victory.”
-Alan Keyes

“OP Plan 5027 was put into place. The fear of a restart of tensions in Korea was something we had planned for over a number of years, but now was when we could not see it as a hypothetical.”
-General Wesley Clark, 2006 interview

“BRITAIN AND JAPAN JOIN COALITION OF THE WILLING’”
-The Independent

“Prime Minister Blair is selling out the nation to the Americans and President Keyes, who is implementing a dangerous domestic and foreign agenda that is incompatible with British values.”
-Green Party Principal Speaker David Taylor

“Blair and Keyes actually got along rather well in their first term. Even though they had vastly different approaches to politics, they both believed that they were modernizers and “great men.”
-Former Foreign Secretary Robin Cook

“While Japan’s economic climb fell in the early 1990s following the collapse of the asset price bubble, the Second Korean War helped to stimulate the economy. In the short term, Prime Minister Ozawa was acclaimed for his economic response by rooting out the corruption that took place under LDP rule.“
-World History textbook, 2008

“For reasons only the beancounters at Toyota can understand, the only reason why the Toyota Mega Cruiser made it to the U.S. market was Arnold Schwarzenegger, who saw it in CNN footage of the Second Korean War. Imagine that will you? On the streets of Texas, you’ll be seeing a big American man in his big patriotic truck, made by Toyota! Perhaps George Bush’s death wasn’t the most embarrassing thing the Japanese have done to their pacific neighbors.”
-Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, 1995

“CHINA VIOLATED UN SANCTIONS ON DPRK”
-Wall Street Journal, 6/24/94

“If Alan Keyes gets us into a nuclear war to stop a nuclear war, we’re all fucked. Even the thankfully departed Richard Milhous Nixon knew what reality was.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

“China needs to make it clear if they side with a regime that has committed crimes comparable to Nazi Germany.”
-Congressman Bob Dorman

“EDITH JONES CONFIRMED TO SUPREME COURT”
-USA Today, 7/25/94

“SCOTLAND & WALES APPROVE DEVOLUTION”
-The Times, 8/3/94

“RUSSIAN PRESIDENT ZHIRINOVSKY IN TAIPEI”
-Christian Science Monitor, 8/15/94

“COLOSIO!”
-El Universal 8/21/94

“NORTH KOREA’S KIM IL-SUNG DIES”
-BBC, 9/1/94

“After the death of the elder Kim, North Korea’s government turned into a mess of personalities. Kim Jong-il had been designated his successor since 1974, but had to govern with Choe Yong-rim and Kim Yong-nam issuing different orders. Quickly, Kim Jong-il proved himself to be incompetent, having to deal with North Korean soldiers who were devastated over the death of their Dear Leader.”
-Bill O'Reilly, North Korea’s Last Days

“GERHARD SCHRODER NEW GERMAN CHANCELLOR - GERMANY’S BLAIR?”
-The Sun, 10/20/94

REPUBLICANS MAKE GAINS: RALLY THE FLAG EFFORT CREDITED FOR WIN

In an unexpected move, the Republican Party has been making gains in the 1994 midterms, with Bob Dole projected to replace George Mitchell as Senate Majority Leader. Previously, the Democrats controlled the Senate with 52 seats; but it appears that the GOP have flipped the scales with 53 seats. In the House, the Republicans have also elevated Minority Leader Dick Armey to the Speakership.

In Arizona, where Keating Five member Dennis DeConcini has retired, Republicans have added so-called “compassionate conservative” Congressman Doug Wead to their Senate caucus. Other notable gains include wins in Pennsylvania against Harris Wofford, Tennessee against Jim Sasser, and open seats in Maine, Ohio, and Michigan. New Republican governors include New York’s Jack Kemp, Oklahoma’s Frank Keating, and Florida’s Jeb Bush.

The night could have been worse for the Democrats, as high-profile incumbents such as Ted Kennedy, Chuck Robb, Bob Kerrey, and Dianne Feinstein have defended off well-funded Republican challengers in the Senate. In gubernatorial races, the Democrats have defeated Governor Pete Wilson with Kathleen Brown (sister of Senator Jerry Brown) and have elected a Native American in Idaho’s Larry EchoHawk.

Ross Perot’s United Future Party has won governorships in Maine and Hawaii, while Lowell Weicker will win another term in Connecticut. No UFP member has won a Senate or House seat. The seat of the resigning Dave Boren, who had previously allied with Perot, was taken by Democratic Congressman Dave McCurdy.
-The New York Times, 11/8/94

Last edited:

Zwinglian

Banned
Theres definitely gonna be a major supreme court ruling on abortion soon, now that Keyes has added 2 new people to the court, especially with Blackmun gone

Oddly enough... stopping the Norks in 94 may have been the smarter move.

Spares the North Korean people 20 years of famine and tyrany, and East Asia decades of the Norks using nukes as a threat for aid.

If relations with China chill, that nay preserve the US Textile industry, among others.

I think Keyes is going to succeed on North Korea, I have a hard time imagining China sticking its neck out for North Korea and the Goverment in North Korea is simply too incompetent to face such a situation. This alone will make him celebrated by Conservatives and make people trying to crap on his legacy face a hardcore fan fowllowing among Neo Cons.

Oddly enough... stopping the Norks in 94 may have been the smarter move.

Spares the North Korean people 20 years of famine and tyrany, and East Asia decades of the Norks using nukes as a threat for aid.

If relations with China chill, that nay preserve the US Textile industry, among others.

I think Keyes is going to succeed on North Korea, I have a hard time imagining China sticking its neck out for North Korea and the Goverment in North Korea is simply too incompetent to face such a situation. This alone will make him celebrated by Conservatives and make people trying to crap on his legacy face a hardcore fan fowllowing among Neo Cons.

That would depend if Alan Keyes can WIN the peace in North Korea.

Like with OTL Saddam, toppling the dictator is only half the job, the other half is keeping the peace.

North Korea in 1994 was already in a very dire situation, and Alan Keyes must be prepared to stay awhile. Without Chinese cooperation, rebuilding North Korea is going to be difficult, and could prove disastrous for the South Korea.

Depending on how arrogant Keyes is, this could either be the thing that solidifies him as among America's greats, or it could lead to a quagmire that hurts his reputation.

How did Larry Echo Hawk in a staunchly Republican Idaho ITTL?

Did Ann Richards lose re-election like OTL?

And what is Perot's message and foundation for his ITTL political party?

Like with OTL Saddam, toppling the dictator is only half the job, the other half is keeping the peace.
Well, the diffrence being that unlike in Iraq their is not a dozen ethnic groups who are going to jump to kill eachother after the Dictator falls. Also we have a freer hand to expend lots of money on trying to rebuild the country and South Korea has a deep commitment to making sure the North does not go to hell.

Last edited: