What if I married Cesare to Ludovico Sforza's grand-niece Bona Sforza, would that be feasible?
Pretty risky move. And Isabella of Aragon would be totally against a such match...
In OTL Cesare wanted marry Charlotte of Naples, eldest daughter of Frederick of Naples...
Maybe here Frederick feared less Cesare and had given him the hand of Charlotte (that must happen while Alexander VI is still alive)

Pretty risky move. And Isabella of Aragon would be totally against a such match...
In OTL Cesare wanted marry Charlotte of Naples, eldest daughter of Frederick of Naples...
Maybe here Frederick feared less Cesare and had given him the hand of Charlotte (that must happen while Alexander VI is still alive)

Ok, I'll have him marry Charlotte and write it as though it occurred before Alexander VI died. Thank you very much!

Family Trees(1503)
Notable Family trees as of 1503

House of Trastámara
Juan III of Aragon(also Prince of Asturias)(b.1478, r. from 1492) m. Margaret of Austria, Queen of Aragon, (b. 1480) has issue
1) Isabella of Aragon(b.1498) eng. Massimiliano Sforza
2) Ferdinand, Prince of Girona(b.1499) eng. Princess Mary Tudor of England
3) Infante Juan Carlos(b.1501)
4) Infanta Maria(b.1503)
House of Aviz
Manuel I of Portugal(b.1469, r. from 1495) m.Isabella of Aragon, Queen of Portugal(b.1470) has issue
1)Miscarriage(1496)
2)Miguel, Prince of Portugal(b.1498)
3)Infante Afonso(b.1500)
4)Infanta Isabella(b.1500, d.1500)
House von Habsburg
Phillip IV, Duke of Burgundy,(b.1478, r. from 1482) m.Juana of Aragon, Duchess of Burgundy(b.1479) has issue
1)Eleanor of Austria(b.1498)
2)Charles of Austria(b.1500)
3)Isabella of Austria(b.1501)
4)Ferdinand of Austria(b.1503)
House of Savoy
Phillibert II, Duke of Savoy(b.1480, r. from 1497) m.Maria of Aragon, Duchess of Savoy(b.1482)
1)Phillip of Savoy(b.1499)
2)Margaret of Savoy(b.1501)
3)Louis of Savoy(b.1503)
House of Tudor
King Henry VII of England(b.1458 r. from 1485) m.Elizabeth of York Queen of England(b.1466) has issue
1)Arthur Tudor, Prince of Wales (b.1486, d. 1501) eng. Catherine of Aragon, died without issue
2)Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scots(b.1489) m.James IV Stuart, King of Scots(b.1473) has no issue
3)Henry Tudor, Prince of Wales(b.1491) eng. Catherine of Aragon, Princess of Wales(b.1485)
4)Mary Tudor, Princess of England(b.1496) eng. Ferdinand, Prince of Girona(b.1499)
5)Edward Tudor, Duke of Somerset(b.1499, d.1499)
6)Edmund Tudor, Duke of Somerset(b.1500)
7)Catherine Tudor, Princess of England(b.1501)

House of Borgia
Giovanni Borgia, Duke of Gandia(b.1474, d.1497, r. from 1488) m. Maria Enriquez de Luna(b.1474, d.1539) had issue
1)Juan Borgia y Enriquez, Duke of Gandia (b.1494)
2)Francisca de Jesus Borgia(b.1494)
3.Isabel de Borgia y Enriquez(b.1497)
Cesare Borgia, Gonfalnier of The Papal Armies and Duke of Romagna(b.1475) m. Princess Charlotte of Naples(b.1480) has issue
1)Anna Borgia(b.1499)
2)Rodrigo Borgia(b.1501, d.1502)
3)Pedro Luis Borgia(b.1502)

House of Sforza(Dukes of Milan)
Ludovico Sforza, Duke of Milan(b. 1452, r. from 1494) m.Beatrice D’este, Duchess of Milan(b.1475), took Lucrezia Crivelli as a Mistress has issue by both
1a)Massimiliano Sforza(b.1493), eng. to Infanta Isabella of Aragon(b.1498)
2a)Francesco Sforza(b.1495)
3a)Stillborn Son(1497)
4a)Leonora Sforza(b.1500)
5a)Misscarriage(1502)
1b)Giovanni Paolo Sforza(b.1497)
2b)Francesca Sforza(1503)

Last edited:
As the year began, Queen Isabella vigorous as ever in matters of rulership ordered the construction of the Royal Chapel of Granada, which she planned would show not only Castile’s devotion to God, but she also wanted it to the burial place of herself, and future rulers of Castile. She even managed to get her son, Juan III to agree to have his father Ferdinand’s remains transferred there as soon as construction was finished, to show the role that the Aragonese King played in conquering Granada. Meanwhile in Valencia, on January 11th as King Juan III and his family held court and officiated disputes, his wife, Margaret of Austria gave birth to their fifth child, a boy named Alfonso, after Juan’s uncle. Unfortunately, to the great sadness of the boy’s parents, the Infante Alfonso was not long for the world, and died barely two months after his birth. Meanwhile in Savoy the Infanta Maria, Duchess of Savoy and Philibert II Duke welcomed another child, a boy named Ferdinand of Savoy on June 5th. Tragically, their fourth child was born a month early and as a result, died just two days later on June 7th. In Burgundy, Duke Phillip II arranged for a fantastic match for his eldest son Charles, in the form of a betrothal with Anne of Bohemia and Hungary, whose father King Vladislaus II of Hungary was desperate for an alliance should the Ottomans decide to invade. Further south, in Milan Ludovico Sforza and his wife Beatrice d’Este finally, after four years of waiting had a fourth living child, a daughter named Bianca Sforza. Also, the Fledgling Second Pisan Republic was crushed in this year, as on August 26th the Florentines under the guidance of Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolò Machiavelli managed to divert the Arno River, cutting off the city’s water supply and forcing it’s surrender. Shortly after this victory, the renowned artists Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo were commissioned by the Signoria to paint the walls of the Grand Council Chamber at the Palazzo Vecchio. Also, on July 17th Cesare Borgia and Charlotte of Naples had their fourth child, a boy named Cesare after his father.

Charlotte of Naples, Duchess of Romagna
Hans Holbein d. Ä. 005.jpg

Niccolo Machiaveli
Niccolò Machiavelli - Wikipedia

Leonardo Da Vinci
Francesco Melzi - Portrait of Leonardo.png

Michelagelo
Miguel Ángel, por Daniele da Volterra (detalle).jpg

Vladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary
Vladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary.jpg

Last edited:
I find the use of Carlos and Henrique for Juan’s sons a little unlikely. The logical name for a second boy is Alfonso, for the third maybe Philip/Maximilian/Manuel?

I find the use of Carlos and Henrique for Juan’s sons a little unlikely. The logical name for a second boy is Alfonso, for the third maybe Philip/Maximilian/Manuel?
I haven't used Alfonso because I'm keeping that name in reserve for someone in the next generation. Wouldn't Carlos be a good name for a second son since that was Margaret's grandfather's name? I confess I picked Enrique as a name because there were several Kings of Castile named Enrique besides Juan's uncle and he probably wouldn't succeed his father even if he lived to adulthood.

I think Philip and Maximilian would more unlikely than Enrique, considering that 4 previous kings of Castile, including the founder of the House of Trastámara, were named Enrique. Carlos is probably fairly borderline. But I do agree Alfonso would he a great name.

I think Philip and Maximilian would more unlikely than Enrique, considering that 4 previous kings of Castile, including the founder of the House of Trastámara, were named Enrique. Carlos is probably fairly borderline. But I do agree Alfonso would he a great name.

Rest assured Alfonso will be used as a name, though not for any of Juan's children.

I haven't used Alfonso because I'm keeping that name in reserve for someone in the next generation. Wouldn't Carlos be a good name for a second son since that was Margaret's grandfather's name? I confess I picked Enrique as a name because there were several Kings of Castile named Enrique besides Juan's uncle and he probably wouldn't succeed his father even if he lived to adulthood.
Some names are used more than once and in consecutive generations and both Juan and Alfonso would be logical as names for Juan’s sons
Philip and Maximilian would be used for a third son and would be an homage to Margaret’s own father or brother. Carlos and Enrique are bad names being recently carried by Juan‘s half-uncles who were enemies of his direct relatives so...

Some names are used more than once and in consecutive generations and both Juan and Alfonso would be logical as names for Juan’s sons

Philip and Maximilian would be used for a third son and would be an homage to Margaret’s own father or brother. Carlos and Enrique are bad names being recently carried by Juan‘s half-uncles who were enemies of his direct relatives so...
I decided to name Juan's third son Alfonso. Would Juan Carlos be a good name for Juan's second son? It would both incorporate Juan's name and that of Margaret's grandfather.

Isabel and Fernando couldn't stand Philip their own son in law, I don't think they would encourage Juan or any of their other heirs to name their own kids Philip, at least not during their lifetimes.

Speaking of second sons, would it make sense for Juan Carlos to marry the female relative of a Castillian or Aragonese duke?
Unlikely IMO. I think we'd likely see a match between Juan Carlos (which BTW I also think it's a little early for two first names on the Iberian peninsula) and a Navarrese infanta, one of the daughters of Queen Catherine. If Magdalena of Navarre is still in Aragonese custody, then I could see an engagement between her and Juan Carlos. I think more likely though would be a match between Ferdinand, Prince of Girona and Magdalena of Navarre.

Last edited:
Unlikely IMO. I think we'd likely see a match between Juan Carlos (which BTW I also think it's a little early for two first names on the Iberian peninsula) and a Navarrese infanta, one of the daughters of Queen Catherine. If Magdalena of Navarre is still in Aragonese custody, then I could see an engagement between her and Juan Carlos. I think more likely though would be a match between Ferdinand, Prince of Girona and Magdalena of Navarre.

I think I'll have Juan Carlos marry Magdalena of Navarre then, I decided on Juan Carlos for a name as it names Juan and Margaret's second son after both Juan himself and Margaret's grandfather the Duke of Burgundy, plus I think the name sounds nice(though I do understand it is a little early for two first names, so he'll probably be the only one of Juan and Margaret's children with two first names)

Isabel and Fernando couldn't stand Philip their own son in law, I don't think they would encourage Juan or any of their other heirs to name their own kids Philip, at least not during their lifetimes.
Yes, but that only after they knew him and had him as husband of their heiress, if Juan is alive they would have much less reasons for despise him.
Juan Carlos work nicely (and has no strong to tie to the late prince of Viana, who fought with his own father for the control of Navarre and likely is still pretty unpopular in Aragon)

Last edited:
As the year began, The Seventh Portuguese Armada was able to successfully conquer and then occupy two key cities on the East African Coast: Kilwa and Mombasa, in the former a puppet Sultan Muhammad ibn al-Fudail is installed while the latter is sacked, and permanently occupied by a Portuguese garrison. The Armada, over the course of the next year, was mostly successful in its aims, conducting trade in India and attacking various Muslim trade ships, which would ultimately result in a handsome profit for both the crown and those who took part in the expedition. Also on February 1st, King Manuel I of Portugal and Isabella of Aragon, Queen of Portugal had another child, this one healthier than her sister who died in infancy three years prior. The newborn Infanta was named Beatrice, after Manuel’s mother, Beatrice, Duchess of Viseu and seemed to have a bright future ahead of her. Meanwhile, in Italy, it was arranged that Bona Sforza, grandniece of the Duke of Milan would marry Erole d’Este’s widowed son and heir, Alfonso shortly after Bona’s fourteenth birthday in 1508. Shortly after the negotiations finished however the Duke of Ferrara, Ercole d’Este died on January 25th, leaving his duchy to his newly engaged son. Further south in Naples, a year and a half after the death of Sancha of Naples, Princess of Squillace of syphilis, her widower, Gioffre Borgia Prince of Squillace was married to Naple's Dowager Queen, Joanna of Naples. A papal dispensation for the marriage was required and granted by Pope Pius III(who miraculously recovered from gout after his election), as Joanna was the aunt of Gioffre’s first wife. The marriage was by all accounts a fairly happy one, and Gioffre wrote of his wife,”She has twice the beauty and ten times the virtue of her niece, she is a truly admirable Princess.” Cynical historians believe that Gioffre was probably happy because he was able to keep his Duchy of Alvito as a result of the marriage. In Burgundy Juana of Aragon and Phillip II of Burgundy welcomed the birth of their fifth child, Mary of Burgundy on September 15th, who was named in honor of Phillip’s late mother, Mary, Duchess of Burgundy. Also in England on July 11th Henry Prince of Wales, was married to Infanta Catherine of Aragon in a opulent ceremony, designed to show the Tudor dynasties increasing prestige. It was said that minutes after the young couple retired to their bedchamber, King Henry VII discreetly stopped outside the door, and was pleased to hear sounds of pleasure emanating from the room. The blood-stained bedsheet was later shown to cheering crowds in London as a testament to the virility of the Prince of Wales and the virtue of the Princess of Wales. Also, far to the east in Poland, King Alexander I of Poland signed Nihil novi a constitution which essentially required the Polish Nobility’s approval for the King’s actions, though the King would later refuse to sign an edict forbidding peasants from leaving noble’s estates something that would cause discord over the next couple decades.

Sancha of Naples, Princess of Squillace
Sancha de Aragón y Gazela.jpg

Alfonso d'Este, Duke of Ferrara
Battista_Dossi%2C_ritratto_di_Alfonso_I_d%27Este_-_Modena.jpg

Bona Sforza, a few years after her marriage
Christoph Amberger 010.jpg

Joanna of Naples
Raffaello Ritratto di donna.jpg

Henry, Prince of Wales, shortly before he became king
Kopie naar Joos van Cleve - Hendrik VIII - Hever Castle 8-05-2017 12-08-10.JPG