The Union Forever: A TL

The Great War: British Entry
Britain enters the War

cn6070_campbellbannerman.jpg

Henry Campbell-Bannerman
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

February 1909

The term “enraged” can scarcely define the mood in Great Britain when The Times broke the news of the Bonaparte-Hanotaux letters. Francophobia swept the nation, as the cries for war against the Entente Imperiale became deafening. The British Prime Minister, Henry Campbell-Bannerman of the ruling Liberal Party, had up until the letters disclosure done his utmost to keep the United Kingdom out of the War, but now, with the Bonaparte-Hanotaux letters made public, that was impossible. As Great Britain edged ever closer to war, Campbell-Bannerman made one last ditch ever to avert open hostilities. In what has become known as the February Ultimatum, the British Government offered to mediate an end to the war under the conditions that France 1) return all recently conquered territory to Prussia and Italy respectively 2) withdraw all military forces from the south German states 3) renounce any expansionist claims in Europe or overseas, and 4) limit its naval strength to half of that of the Royal Navy’s. Unsurprisingly, Napoleon IV deemed these terms unacceptable as they would nullify all the gains France had made since the start of the war. In an utterly tactless move, the Emperor countered the ultimatum with an invitation for Britain to join the war against the Alliance, stating that “the moment is perfect for His Majesty’s Government to move against our common age old enemy the barbarous Russian Empire” and then after the war Britain would be “offered” dominion over Russia’s Central Asian possessions.

The British government and public were furious with Napoleon’s response, prompting the British Secretary of State for War Richard Haldane to remark “what the Emperor is forgetting is that unlike his Hungarian and Turkish cronies our honor cannot be bought with land stolen from others.” With the ultimatum rejected, the decision to declare war was finally made on February 28, 1909 when after coming to the now obvious realization of what an Entente victory would mean for Britain, Campbell-Bannerman advised King Edward VII to declare war on the Entente powers of the French Empire, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the Kingdoms of Bavaria and Württemberg, the Duchy of Baden, and the Sublime Ottoman State. The Empire of Japan, which was viewed as more of a co-belligerent and not an ally of France, did not receive a declaration of war.

Britannia had finally entered the fray.

Last edited:
wow Britain is getting into the fighting, Prussia is saved now lets see the French offensives stopped and Prussia saved. Great work now lets see the United States starting to get a bit more involved

That wasn't entirely unpredicted - Britain will always find itself at war against a Bonaparte. I surmise that they'll call it the War of the Eighth Coalition now, though.

The USA is still the big question. Neither belligerent side has anything to offer it or to go against it. RTL's leadership is the clincher, though.

Map of the Great War Belligerents as of February 29, 1909.

The Entente Impériale is in blue. Alliance members are in red. Entente gains are in light blue. Alliance gains are in light red. Please note that the United Kingdom is not at war with the Empire of Japan.

Belligerent Map 2.0.png

Part of me wonders if the Entente will end up getting broken up big time.

Though part of me wishes to see the Kingdom of Hungary retain its pre-1920 borders after all of this.

Although Britain's military might will certainly add to the Pressure on France and her allies, considering her position, the question we need to ask is - "Will It Help???" Will the tide be successfully turned?!?

MacGregor, I Dare you to do another Normandy landing - yeah, that's right, I dare you!!!

Ah, so Great Britain finally enters the fray! Very intresting, very intresting. I think the naval engagements will be most intresting, more so than the land battles. However, I also think that, with the United Kingdom in the War, the U.S. will be more willing to join in. As I said before, when and how will determine how well the Republicans do for the next decade or so. I also think that the Coalition will begin to draw up peace plans, in the hope of victory. I think that a French Constitutuional Monarchy would be implemented, if the Coaltion wins. One of the bigger aspects of the peace would be the German question, surely. As always, great update, cant wait for more!

Although Britain's military might will certainly add to the Pressure on France and her allies, considering her position, the question we need to ask is - "Will It Help???" Will the tide be successfully turned?!?

MacGregor, I Dare you to do another Normandy landing - yeah, that's right, I dare you!!!

The Royal Navy is Britain's greatest asset, so I actually think they'll be doing what they did in the Napoleonic Wars - subsidize the continental allies while the Navy does what it does best.

Though a channel crossing isn't out of the question, of course.

Wow :eek:

Russia and France are doing great:D

I have always wanted to see that happen in a tl.

If the Russians and Great Britain can team up they should do a colonial venture into arabia and Frances East african provinces. I bet it would be pretty epic:D

(This is the first time I have ever seen your tl keep up the good work)

Wow :eek:

Russia and France are doing great:D

I have always wanted to see that happen in a tl.

If the Russians and Great Britain can team up they should do a colonial venture into arabia and Frances East african provinces. I bet it would be pretty epic:D

(This is the first time I have ever seen your tl keep up the good work)

I think it's more of an alliance of convenience; I doubt that the Great Game has stopped yet.

I think it's more of an alliance of convenience; I doubt that the Great Game has stopped yet.

Well the great game at historically(if this tl's great game isn't to diverged from otl's) was temporrarally ended at world war 1 then after the bolshlevik revolution it picked up again and then at the start of world war 2 it was ended due to increasing German influence.

Well the great game at historically(if this tl's great game isn't to diverged from otl's) was temporrarally ended at world war 1 then after the bolshlevik revolution it picked up again and then at the start of world war 2 it was ended due to increasing German influence.

But consider this null and void if this tl has a signifigantly different great game then OTL

Most likely, the British will try and blockade France, while reinforcing the beleaguered Prussians. With the French considerably stronger militarily ITTL, I'm not sure if the British could pull off a normandy style invasion.

How are the Austrians holding a front that stretches from Transylvania to Galicia into Silesia and finally into Saxony? You would think that they might have a few... problems with that kind of front.

How long has Japan been fighting Russia for? 4 Years? They were running out of money in OTL's Russo-Japanese War after about a year. How have they been fighting the Russians for 4 years?

The UK can hit the french in the colonial territories. Given the size of the RN vs the French fleet, the UK can spare the ships for overseas ventures while the French would have to keep more of their navy in local waters, IE the channel, the Med, the Red Sea.
If Japan leaves England alone they would be able to move more of their Indian army troops to attack in Africa and the Middle east.