They should realize soon that they can actually damage Spain by sending a lot of gold/silver to them.

Right?
Not in the short term, where they get the funding necessary to conquer the rest of the Americas as OTL and then manage to conquer the Andes anyway just by surrounding them.

Then the wealth t r i c k l e s d o w n to the rest of Europe enabling their colonial ventures.

Am I the only one who’s not worried that a TL called “The Sons of Inti Shall Not Perish” will end with the Tawantinsuyu being conquered by the Spanish as they were IOTL?

Am I the only one who’s not worried that a TL called “The Sons of Inti Shall Not Perish” will end with the Tawantinsuyu being conquered by the Spanish as they were IOTL?
No, but I think everyone wants them to come out as strong as possible, not simply as a rump state.

I’m interested to see if the Mapuche can just completely stave off conquest, iotl they lasted until the 19th century fighting spanish settlers on both sides of the Andes, ittl they will have potential strongholds on the west coast to withdraw to if needs be

Interlude 2.1: A New Crown
Kito, Chinchasuyu
Neu Augsburg, Kleine Alpen
August 23, 1553

Bartholomew VI. Welser spoke quietly with the messenger, nodded, and then sent the boy on his way. He turned towards the assembled soldiers he had summoned to him. He was 41, and looked older, but he did have a drive to survive and that counted for much to Hans.

“The reports are true. The Mummy moves north. Our reprieve is over gentlemen. We will face a battle soon.” Welser said clearly.

“We should flee to the coast, wait for Hutten.” One man cried.

“Why wait? Herr Castro stands ready to the south.”

“God will keep us safe from the pagans.”

Cacophony reigned in the hall of the former palace until Welser yelled for silence.

“We will hold the city. Retreat is out of the question. To lose the city is to lose Kleine Alpen. And we have invested so many men that losing Kleine Alpen would be to lose Klein Vendig, and my father would not approve of that.” The room stiffened noticeably. “No, we will hold the city, and without the help of Castile. I do not trust them.”

“Our emperor is their king!” A voice cried out. Welser narrowed his eyes.

“So was Martin Luther, yet I would not trust him. We will have to manage. Send for some messengers, I will make an appeal for the northern tribes to come south. United we can defeat this rabble.”

Hans nodded his head, but the dissident voice called out again.

“You would have us ally with barbarians who will not aid us before our compatriots?”

“I will do as I please. I am the duly appointed Governor of Kleine Alpen and you will be silent.” Welser waited, then continued. “Parties will be sent out to delay the advance, while others will build our support in the city and in the north. We have had our months of preparation, just as the enemy has. Now we will see who has spent their time better. Do I have any volunteers to delay the advance of the barbarian?”

No one spoke.

“And will anyone kindly stay here to assist in my preparations?”

A great clamor erupted, much to Welser’s frustration.

“Very well, I will decide who goes to the front by tomorrow. You may go now.”

As the crowd dispersed Welser grabbed Hans’s arm.

“I saw you nodding along with me. Find me those troublemakers, they will be sent south.”

“Of course, sir.” Hans replied.

“That is good. Do that and you can stay here, and I might even have another job for you.”

Hans sprinted out of the room.

August 30, 1553

Hans’s expectations of the New World had been varied. He had expected gold at times. Sometimes there had been his own farm with some Indians working the fields. At times he had expected to die gloriously in battle. Other times he had thought he was doomed to die from the stifling heat of the equator.

He had never expected to be playing governess to a bunch of children.

Hans had spent the last week searching the city for a “perfect looking child”. Welser had described what he had meant by that, but he had forbidden it to be written down for fear of discovery. Hans had no idea what Welser was doing. His current theory was that the child was to be a curiosity for the Emperor back in Europe.

Hans had wrangled five children, some were orphans found running in the streets, some had been given willingly by the fearful parents. One had to be taken by force, an experience that, for all his best efforts, still left Hans feeling more than a little guilty. Now they were all in one place, and the trouble became keeping them out of trouble. Two were squabbling over a little toy cart while another seemed attracted by some strange force to stairs that he would then fall down. Hans spoke only German and a little Spanish, and the children spoke nothing but their native tongues. Although he suspected that he would have trouble controlling them even if they could communicate.

As of now he was trying to separate the two fighting. The one on the right was surprisingly strong, refusing to let go of the cart. Hans had to yank with all his might, while the one on the left began to cry loudly. Hans set them both down, believing their fight to be over. But they were immediately at each other’s throats yet again. Hans picked up the crying one and plopped him down onto the other side of the room.

“Now stay there and stay quiet.” He ordered. The Boy started crying again. Hans heard a loud thunk and ran over to help the boy who had just fallen down some stairs. He was unhurt and laughing. It was then Welser walked in, much to Hans’ relief.

“I see you have gathered the children.” Welser said.

“Yes sir, all five of them are here. I’m still not entirely sure why yo…”

“You had told me that there were six.”

“One of them was coming down with smallpox when I returned to collect him.”

“A shame.” With that comment Welser began to walk around and examine the children, as if he were inspecting meat before a long voyage. He shook his head at the crying one. He shook his head at the pair who had failed to do anything since they had arrived. He neither shook his head nor nodded at the giggling one who often fell down the stairs. He paused at the surprisingly strong one, now happily playing with the cart toy he had taken from the crying boy.

“This one does not look much the description I gave you. He looks far more northern then the rest.” Welser observed.

“He has some features, look at the nose. Looks like a Qusqon. Must have gotten it from his father. His mother is a northerner.”

“Kitan?”

“No from further north, one of those border tribes that are stubbornly refusing aid.” As Hans replied Welser gave a slight smile.

“The mother is still alive?”

“Last I saw her.”

“Good. Bring her here. We have much to do.”

September 1, 1553

“It is a well-known fact that things change. Empires rise and fall. Kito fell to Qusqo, and now Qusqo falls to Madrid. Here, in this city, we know this. We have seen it happen. Atawallpa led this land to glory, but the three sons he brought south were not worthy of the mantle. Niancoro was a fine enough man, until Castro’s treachery felled him.” Welser said to a crowd of nobles, both local and from the north. The crowd bristled at his twisting of events, but he raised his hand. “I was as surprised as anyone, his agents had infiltrated my army, and before I could defeat them we were in the hands of Castro, but fear not those agents have been dealt with. Now Ninancoro marches once more to war, more inspiring in death then he was in life. But he cannot rule, instead the rebels are directed by some raving commoner.” The crowd calmed a bit, all those who openly supported Poma were now gone from the city. Welser continued.

“He promises a return to the old days of glory. I cannot promise you that. But I can promise you something else, something that will unite the two great pillars of this realm. The north,” Welser nodded to the northern nobles, who had brought armies who would not fight until ordered. “And the south,” He nodded to the Kitans. “I present to you Tomay.” The young boy was brought forth from behind Welser, along with his calm mother. “He mother is from a proud line from the north, ancient and just. And his father was Atawallpa.”

The crowd erupted. The northerners distrusted those who had tried to conquer them. The Germans were afraid this meant treason. Others had simply done the math and found that the boy was far too young to have ever been Atawallpa’s son. Welser again raised his hand for calm.

“Rest assured, he does not claim the Tawantinsuyu. He cares not for the line of Sapa Inka’s. However, remember, Atawallpa’s mother came from a Kito, came from the royal family in fact. So, he has a claim to Kito. Better then that of any from Qusqo, or Spain, or Germany. So, I, by the power vested in me by the Lord our God, and with the assent of the assembled, do solemnly declare Tupac Tomay King of Kito. His realm is, and forever shall be, free from the power of the Kings of Castille. And, after much deliberation, the King has decided to accept the protection of the Holy Roman Empire, and Holy Roman Emperor Charles the Fifth. Now I ask you, do you stand loyal to your King?”

Kito, Kingdom of Kito
September 1, 1553

The crowd stood silent. Then began to cheer, even the skeptical northerners

Last edited:
Well, THAT is a dramatic turn of events! I wonder how long this "Kingdom of Kito" will last, and if it will be able to gather recognition from any Europeans

Any reconquest led by the Tawantinsuyu will now be seen as a foreign invasion by the natives of the land which will give legitimacy to the German presence in the area.