In Himalaya/Tibet region, I hasn't found something really amazing, like potatoes or quinoa. Some interest is caused by a bare barley (Hordeum distichon, so we would have a good beer and whisk(e)y!), peas, buckwheat. Nothing special, I fill slightly disappointed.

Hey, don't knock buckwheat. That stuff does surprisingly well in dry, cold, low-fertility soils and at the same time is also incredibly nutritious. They're marketing it as a superfood I think.

Hey, don't knock buckwheat. That stuff does surprisingly well in dry, cold, low-fertility soils and at the same time is also incredibly nutritious. They're marketing it as a superfood I think.
I wouldn't underestimate buckwheat, it's promising. Buckwheat pilaf is one of the most delicious dishes in the world I tasted. But can buckwheat make a revolution in agriculture and nutrition? Potatoes made. Quinoa, the only crop that has a full-fledged set of aminoacids, can.

I wouldn't underestimate buckwheat, it's promising. Buckwheat pilaf is one of the most delicious dishes in the world I tasted. But can buckwheat make a revolution in agriculture and nutrition? Potatoes made. Quinoa, the only crop that has a full-fledged set of aminoacids, can.

I guess agriculturally speaking the Andes just has far more it can contribute to the world than the rest of the world can contribute to the Andes...

...they could probably learn a thing or two about statecraft too.

Just to shake things up from the talk of what can be cultivated in the Andes.

So without the conquest of the Andes reigion, what would the expansion New Granada look like?

I guess agriculturally speaking the Andes just has far more it can contribute to the world than the rest of the world can contribute to the Andes...
Definitely. Their agriculture was very complex, diversified and ecologically harmonized. In OTL, almost entire farming of autochthonous population of the Andes is still based on the legacy of the Incas, alas, with some degree of devolution.

Some of the Incan agrotechniques are amazing even now. For example, there is no innovation in using ash as a fertilizer. But the Incas established a system of exchanging ashes between different parts of the empire, thereby enriching the microelement composition of the soils. How did they come up with this?

Speaking of spreading throughout the empire, what do Europeans think about the mita system? It's been long enough that they would have to have been exposed to it at least semi-regularly, right? What's their opinion on it?

Speaking of spreading throughout the empire, what do Europeans think about the mita system? It's been long enough that they would have to have been exposed to it at least semi-regularly, right? What's their opinion on it?

IOTL, the Spanish copied the Inca, so I can imagine they would view it positively, as a useful tool in imperial rule.

IOTL, the Spanish copied the Inca, so I can imagine they would view it positively, as a useful tool in imperial rule.
I'm not talking about the Spanish "mita" system of "we take you from your home and you work to mine gold for us," but the Incan mita system of "we make you build public work projects to benefit your home and then you don't have to pay taxes."

I'm not talking about the Spanish "mita" system of "we take you from your home and you work to mine gold for us," but the Incan mita system of "we make you build public work projects to benefit your home and then you don't have to pay taxes."

I'm not sure the Spanish would see much a difference. All they'd see was, "Oh, forced labour? Good idea, we should do that!".

I guess the Spaniards were not forced to participate in mita in TTL. They were not citizens of Tawantinsuyu, and their social rank roughly corresponded to the local petty aristocracy (kuraka), not common peasants (runa).

Surely they were admired by the high organization, thoughtfulness and coherence of the works (as it was in OTL), but I do not think that their emotions somehow influenced the course of events in TTL.