The Shuffled Disneyverse: An Alt Disney Timeline

At this point, the Disneyland and The Mickey Mouse Club television programs are still underway but I’m not sure if the Disneyland Park is coming just yet based on what films have been released so far. I’m planning on continuing my TL through the end next of the Silver Age (which is 1961 here based on the quality of the animated films released after) but after that I might stop for a while to continue with my other TLs unless I get writers block.
Well, judging by the first year's attractions at the park, I think we can replace the following attractions:

King Arthur Carousel=>Dance of the Hours(A Fantasia attraction based on the eponymous segment, plus Pastoral Symphony and The Nutcracker Suite.)
Mad Tea Party=>Mickey's Little Whirlwinds(An actual Mickey Mouse attraction, named for one of his iconic 1940s shorts despite the lack of context.)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride=>Thor and the Impudence of Loki
Peter Pan's Flight=>Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Dumbo the Flying Elephant=>Flight of the Condors(An original attraction, about a nature documentarist discovering a flock of domesticated condors.)
Casey Jr. Circus Train=>The Snow Queen's Patrol
Sleeping Beauty's Castle=>Cinderella's Castle

While some of these were easy to replace, you can tell which ones I changed last.

Well, judging by the first year's attractions at the park, I think we can replace the following attractions:

King Arthur Carousel=>Dance of the Hours(A Fantasia attraction based on the eponymous segment, plus Pastoral Symphony and The Nutcracker Suite.)
Mad Tea Party=>Mickey's Little Whirlwinds(An actual Mickey Mouse attraction, named for one of his iconic 1940s shorts despite the lack of context.)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride=>Thor and the Impudence of Loki
Peter Pan's Flight=>Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Dumbo the Flying Elephant=>Flight of the Condors(An original attraction, about a nature documentarist discovering a flock of domesticated condors.)
Casey Jr. Circus Train=>The Snow Queen's Patrol
Sleeping Beauty's Castle=>Cinderella's Castle

While some of these were easy to replace, you can tell which ones I changed last.
Thanks. I will consider this. As an additional spoiler, the 1961 film could greatly impact Walt's life.

I mean, considering what we have ITTL, it was really hard to replace Mad Tea Party and Dumbo the Flying Elephant, while it was easy to replace Peter Pan's Flight and Sleeping Beauty Castle.

He's gonna die five years sooner, isn't he?
Nope but it could influence when he does die.

Last edited:
Of course, it was, yet people smoked(occasionally, not as hard as Walt or Mr Flemming) and lived 80+ years old lives is up the person and his lifestyle
Of course, I saw a TL where Disney died three years earlier. But I don’t want to spoil anything else right now.

Last edited:
There's one pretty significant butterfly from this that I haven't mentioned: Dumbo actually gets published as a children's book as originally intended so the basic story for it still exists, just not in film form.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (1959)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (1959)

1671552406101.png

In November 1950, Walt Disney announced that he was developing a feature film based on the myth of the lost city of Atlantis. He registered the production Atlantis: The Lost Empire in the previous January. Unlike every other Disney film that came before, it would be based on two books: Atlantis: The Antediluvian World and The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis. It would also be significantly darker than Disney’s previous efforts, much so that it catered more towards older audiences than young children. Walt understood that this was a risky project, but he planned on this film being a pinnacle not only in animation but all of cinema. By mid-1952, casting took place and story presentations were complete, but Walt wasn’t fully satisfied. Atlantis: The Lost Empire was set for a Christmas 1955 release. With all dialogue recorded by July 1953, production went into high gear with the start of preliminary animation. In April 1954, the film’s release was rescheduled to February 1957 and then to Christmas 1957, in no short part due to the Disneyland theme park and the Disneyland and Mickey Mouse Club television programs. Production of Atlantis resumed in December 1956, with the release scheduled for Christmas 1958 before its final date of January 1959.

In 1914, amidst the breakout of the First World War, archeologist Charles Donnelly attempts to find evidence for the long-lost continent of Atlantis along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. Disgruntled and almost giving up, he finds a gold key engraved with Egyptian and Peruvian writing. He unlocks a door with the key and suddenly travels back into ancient times to a mysterious land he never saw before. Donnelley soon discovers that he is in the old city of Atlantis. During his time in Atlantis, he meets the ancient royalty who reign through the continent, finds some of the oldest ironworks in the world, and most importantly, finds a journal of an ancient expedition to Atlantis that allows one to locate the city and decipher the language of the Atlantis people complete with a familiar golden key. Donnelly plans to take this book with him back to the present so that he can access Atlantis from the future if needed. Before he can do that, Atlantis finds itself in grave danger as what seems to be an extreme convulsion of nature threatens to sink the island into the ocean, taking all of its inhabitants with it. In reality, this destruction is wrought by the secretly evil empress of Atlantis. Can he escape to the present and save Atlantis from a terrible fate?

While previous films were distributed by RKO Radio Pictures, Atlantis and Zootopia were instead distributed by Buena Vista. Buena Vista released Atlantis in both standard 35 mm prints (with four-track stereo) and large-format 70 mm prints (with six-track stereophonic sound). The film premiered in Los Angeles on January 29, 1959, paired with the short documentary Grand Canyon upon its wide release. It received mixed reviews from critics at the time, praising it for its animation style and audio quality, but the plot received criticism for being too far out of the norm for Disney and too risky for most audiences to accept. It was also a box office failure relative to its $5.9 million budget, earning $4.6 million in rentals. Because of this, Walt never re-released it during his lifetime, only doing so in 1970 after his death. It did eventually earn back its budget by the 1980s. In the present, Atlantis has more detractors than most Disney classics, but its fanbase significantly outweighs and regards it as Walt’s magnum opus, more than Snow White, Cinderella, Frozen, Wreck-It-Ralph, Fantasia, and even The Emperor’s New Groove. Back in 1959, Walt tried distancing himself from Altantis with a story he had grown fond of since childhood.

Author's Note: Since most Disney films at this time were based on source materials and not original works, I used Atlantis: The Antediluvian World and The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis as the basis for TTL's counterpart of Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Also the box office failiure of Atlantis will be the beginning of the end for Walt.

With that, we are now onto the 1960s. I can promise now that this will be very interesting for the Disney studio. Whether in a good way or a bad way I will not say.

Just like Disney did with its IRL counterpart, I am kind of having trouble coming up with a plot for the 1961 film. I mean there’s so many directions this could take considering its source material. Hence there might be some time before this next film is posted.

Just like Disney did with its IRL counterpart, I am kind of having trouble coming up with a plot for the 1961 film. I mean there’s so many directions this could take considering its source material. Hence there might be some time before this next film is posted.
A dman shame Atlantis bombed, seems Walt poured a lot of work on it, much like OTL the audience wasn't ready for it

A dman shame Atlantis bombed, seems Walt poured a lot of work on it, much like OTL the audience wasn't ready for it
It's not really a bomb, only in the sense that its budget was so high that it was almost impossible to make a profit, much like OTL's Sleeping Beauty. It does make a profit by the 1980s so there's hope after all. Walt is surely disappointed with the failure of Atlantis but things could be a lot worse if future updates provide any indication.

It's not really a bomb, only in the sense that its budget was so high that it was almost impossible to make a profit, much like OTL's Sleeping Beauty. It does make a profit by the 1980s so there's hope after all. Walt is surely disappointed with the failure of Atlantis but things could be a lot worse if future updates provide any indication.
The Disney dark age is about to begin

Since 1961 is Alice in Wonderland as revealed in the test thread, wouldn't it be easy? The OTL equivalent released in 1951, after all.
I really don't want to spoil anything but 10 years is plenty of time for things to change the script, especially for a film based on a story notoriously difficult to adapt. Also, it won't be enough for Disney to dislike it like he did IOTL. He has to straight up hate it. If we want to discuss spoilers then maybe PMs could work or I could type up a plot for it and perhaps suggestions for changes can be made. And I don't like identical films from both OTL and TTL. Even Snow White had some additional elements here not seen in the original.

Last edited: