The Shuffled Disneyverse: An Alt Disney Timeline

I didn't start this concept of shuffling the Disney canon (read Changing the Reel for that) nor do I own the premise in the first place so I have no reason to object. It's your TL so you can do what you want with it. I don't think you need my permission for this. I actually wouldn't mind looking at another different take on this concept.
Same here. I’m interested in seeing another take on the concept of shuffling the Disney canon.

Say one was to try this.
Any tips or tricks.
I would say use a randomizer to put all the Disney canon (and potentially Pixar canon too) titles in one place like Google Sheets and use the randomize feature. I would recommend it using more than once until you find a suitable film to start with for the 1930s or until a series of five for the Golden Age films (the equivalent of OTL's Snow White to Bambi). If there's a film from the past or future IOTL that has a premise that doesn't work with the time when the film is released in your timeline, you can change the premise so that it does it (or even the title to a degree if it's something like Ralph Breaks the Internet or Fantasia 2000). If the randomizer has a sequel released right next to the original or not long after (whether the sequel be before or after the original), I recommend swapping that title with another one.

I would say use a randomizer to put all the Disney canon (and potentially Pixar canon too) titles in one place like Google Sheets and use the randomize feature. I would recommend it using more than once until you find a suitable film to start with for the 1930s or until a series of five for the Golden Age films (the equivalent of OTL's Snow White to Bambi).
Ooh, I’d like to see a shuffled version of the Pixar films.

I would say use a randomizer to put all the Disney canon (and potentially Pixar canon too) titles in one place like Google Sheets and use the randomize feature. I would recommend it using more than once until you find a suitable film to start with for the 1930s or until a series of five for the Golden Age films (the equivalent of OTL's Snow White to Bambi). If there's a film from the past or future IOTL that has a premise that doesn't work with the time when the film is released in your timeline, you can change the premise so that it does it (or even the title to a degree if it's something like Ralph Breaks the Internet or Fantasia 2000). If the randomizer has a sequel released right next to the original or not long after (whether the sequel be before or after the original), I recommend swapping that title with another one.
Thank you, that's a big help and makes sorting animated from live action more easy.

Ooh, I’d like to see a shuffled version of the Pixar films.
I plan on Pixar being shuffled beginning in 1995 in this timeline. In fact they were shuffled separately not long after I started doing the sorting. I contemplated shuffling both sets of titles together so that some OTL Pixar films would be WDAC films and Vice versa but I decided it would be too complicated.

Thank you, that's a big help and makes sorting animated from live action more easy.
So you’re also planning on shuffling Disney’s live-action films made in the 20th century (namely those that were planned on animated films initially before turning into live-action) and some animated features will instead be live-action?

So you’re also planning on shuffling Disney’s live-action films made in the 20th century (namely those that were planned on animated films initially before turning into live-action) and some animated features will instead be live-action?
Not yet sure, I was looking through the list of live-action films and there are a bunch more than the animated ones.
I did pick some out just incase though.

This is a very cool concept!
Thanks, although you can thank the author of Changing The Reel for developing it in the first place and allowing me to develop this TL with a few twists added. Having said that, since this is meant to be a fun side project and not necessarily a serious one, I might not be updating this for a bit as I'm focusing on something else as well.

Raya And The Last Dragon (1976):
Raya And The Last Dragon (1976)

Facade_of_Angkor_Wat.jpg

Walt Disney himself considered creating a film centered on the Asian continent in 1961 not long after Alice in Wonderland was released to theaters. The first thing that he thought of while contemplating ideas for this was dragons. The earliest drafts varied story-wise from a generic fairytale set in Asia where the dragon is slain in order to rescue a local princess to a fire-breathing dragon who could time travel. As drafting progressed, the story become more surreal as reflected by Disney’s increased drug use. One of the last things he confirmed before taking his life in 1964 was making official his interest in making a dragon-centric film. This was ultimately shelved, favoring The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, and Tarzan until the success of the latter convinced the Disney studio to revive the project. However, considering the intense backlash against the Vietnam War and the different political climate from 10 years earlier, this was a huge experimental risk. John Lounsbery and Wolfgang Reitherman were confirmed to be co-directors of this film, set to be released in 1976 or 1977 and entitled Raya And The Last Dragon.

Raya And The Last Dragon begins in the land of Kumandra where the people of five different kingdoms were unified into a single kingdom by the protection of the sacred dragons. However, mysterious dark creatures called Druun invaded Kumandra and wiped out the entirety of the dragon race. The people were so petrified they buried any evidence that the dragon ever existed and this remained for generations. Several years later, a teenage princess named Raya accidentally discovers the existence of a dragon that not only survived the extinction of its species but is still alive to this day; a water dragon named Sisu. Unfortunately, not long after Raya meets Sisu, the villagers see the dragon and try to kill it. The pair escapes, leaving the villagers on the brink of a civil war. Now, Raya and Sisu need to find the dragon gem to guarantee the existence of dragons in the future and prevent a war in Kumandra while also trying to prevent a dangerous group of poachers from accessing the hidden gemstone and using it for their own evil purposes.

The film premiered in Hollywood on September 11, 1976, before its wide release in the United States nearly six weeks later. From a box office perspective, it performed roughly in the middle of the road, being neither a box office smash nor a bomb. Critically, it received mixed-to-negative reviews upon its release for being far too dark in its subject matter by Disney standards mixed with mediocre animation, and noting the bad timing with the Khmer Rouge in power in Kampuchea. It was almost universally hated by audiences though. Americans picked up on the not-so-subtle nods to the Vietnam War and wanted to distance themselves from it, many Europeans were outraged that the poachers were obvious stand-ins for European colonialists (and Kumandra being based on French Indochina), while Asians were displeased with the poor portrayal of Southeast Asia and its corresponding mythology. In later years, audience reception towards Raya warmed up worldwide to the point of attaining a large cult fanbase. Reasons for this include attempting to tackle several serious topics with various degrees of success, better timing, and retroactive recognition of various cultural accuracies across Southeast Asia. Nowadays, it remains a controversial but nevertheless semi-popular movie.

A/N: After reading about the premise of OTL's version of Raya and the version posted by @KaiserWilhelm36 in his own Disney canon TL, I decided to do my own take that is grittier than I was initially expecting. Think of this as TTL's analogue to Atlantis: The Lost Empire but with more extreme hate upon its release and an even bigger thaw in reception as time went on. The animation isn't experimental but everything else about the film is in TTL's 2023.

Last edited:
In the end, it didn't turn out to be so complicated. All I needed was a bit of time and inspiration. Now this next film WILL be hard because there are many many many different ways the story can be told. It doesn't help it's a tale as old as time itself. So I might need some time before I post the next title. In the meantime, I'm considering once again the idea of doing a Disney canon TL that involves no WW2. Not sure if it will be a collab or not if I decide to go through with it.

Also here are my guesses for the upcoming films
1977b: Beauty and the Beast
1981: Aladdin
1985: 101 Dalmatians
1986: Dumbo
1988: Pinocchio

Analogs to the Vietnam War and colonists? Oh brother we're in for a good one.
There's no analogue to the Vietnam War but there are plenty of less-than-subtle references to it because the filmmakers wanted to emphasize the Southeast Asian location and Vietnam was what captured the public's imagination at the time (for better or worse) when it came to the region. I'd figure that the colonist analogues in this movie are some small jabs at France and their whole saga in Indochina as well as the wars over decolonization in Africa. For the record this movie makes clear that colonialism is a very bad thing and I utmost agree with that sentiment. I don't want to delve further into politics here because that's not what this TL is all about.

Tale as old as time, you say...?
No, it is not a reference to Beauty and The Beast. It's just a total coincidence I referenced it.
Also here are my guesses for the upcoming films
1981: Aladdin
1988: Pinocchio
You got 2/5 titles correct and both titles are in the correct date. I'm not giving anything else away right now.

Last edited:
In the end, it didn't turn out to be so complicated. All I needed was a bit of time and inspiration. Now this next film WILL be hard because there are many many many different ways the story can be told. It doesn't help it's a tale as old as time itself. So I might need some time before I post the next title. In the meantime, I'm considering once again the idea of doing a Disney canon TL that involves no WW2. Not sure if it will be a collab or not if I decide to go through with it.
I hope you decide to do your Disney canon TL that involves no WW2, I think it would be very interesting. Personally, I'll have it be a collab so anothers can help you come up with ideas.

Here are my guesses for the upcoming films:
1981: The Princess and the Frog
1988: The Sword in the Stone

" Critically, it received mixed-to-negative reviews upon its release for being far too dark in its subject matter by Disney standards mixed with mediocre animation, and noting the bad timing with the Khmer Rouge in power in Kampuchea. "​
OOF That's an accidental yikes on TTL Disney's part. Imagine if someone made an east slavic fantasy movie right as the Russo-Ukrainian War broke out!

OOF That's an accidental yikes on TTL Disney's part. Imagine if someone made an east slavic fantasy movie right as the Russo-Ukrainian War broke out!
And to make matters worse, the US was pulling out of Vietnam as the film started production ITTL so that's an even bigger yikes. So a case of really mega bad timing on two counts. I don't really want to get into modern politics since that's what Chat is ultimately for.