Okay, so first thread. I have tried writing alternate histories before but never got very far admittedly, have looked around this forum for a while too. Anyway, As a Sega kid growing up and doing some research on it, I have stumbled upon the perfect piece of history to use as a timeline. We all know the infamous Nintendo backstab of Sony, and how it made the PlayStation. And also of course, the Saturn's dreadful launch and Sega's sad decline right when they were just starting beat Nintendo. I learned that Sony did attempt to partner with Sega after the infamous betrayl, but Sega of Japan turned the idea down.

Source - http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sega-and-sony-almost-teamed-up-on-a-console
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sega-and-sony-almost-teamed-up-on-a-console
I am already considering doing a timeline on this, nothing I've posted on any main site though, unless someone has already done it, but to me this is an amazing way to have a twist on a "Sega stays making hardware" timeline, and there's also a good chunk of Nintendo PS timelines so why not a Sega one? Especially now that we have an event to work off of.

Aside from (I assume) the Sega Saturn/PS1/Whatever the console is called being very successful, and Sega likely remaining in the hardware business, what other effects would/could this have?

Partnering with Sony would have been the perfect move for Sega. Sega still comes out with the Sega-CD, but with Sony as a solid partner, I could see the 32X getting butterflied away in lieu of putting out more Sega CD games. We could see Sonic CD 2 or perhaps a complete Sonic 3 and Knuckles on Sega-CD. We might see Virtua Fighter on the Sega-CD, though I doubt it would play quite as well as it did on the 32X (32X had more powerful hardware). Basically, Sega and Sony use the CD as a test run while they develop the Saturn together. Would Sega have still made some of the same mistakes they made with the real life Saturn launch (launching too early, priced too high, tons of great Japanese games don't get localized)? Maybe. However, third parties like Square would probably still jump ship, perhaps putting pressure on Sega to be smarter. Tom Kalinske probably stays on with Sega, and with him around, more games get localized. We definitely get a Sonic platformer on the new Saturn.

How does the new Saturn do against the Nintendo 64? It's hard to say. If Sega makes a lot of dumb decisions early on, the fifth generation could end up the same as the fourth: a close race with Nintendo on top. If Sega smartens up, even a bit later into the system's life (like, say, when Final Fantasy VII is released), they probably beat Nintendo fairly easily.

Partnering with Sony would have been the perfect move for Sega. Sega still comes out with the Sega-CD, but with Sony as a solid partner, I could see the 32X getting butterflied away in lieu of putting out more Sega CD games. We could see Sonic CD 2 or perhaps a complete Sonic 3 and Knuckles on Sega-CD. We might see Virtua Fighter on the Sega-CD, though I doubt it would play quite as well as it did on the 32X (32X had more powerful hardware). Basically, Sega and Sony use the CD as a test run while they develop the Saturn together. Would Sega have still made some of the same mistakes they made with the real life Saturn launch (launching too early, priced too high, tons of great Japanese games don't get localized)? Maybe. However, third parties like Square would probably still jump ship, perhaps putting pressure on Sega to be smarter. Tom Kalinske probably stays on with Sega, and with him around, more games get localized. We definitely get a Sonic platformer on the new Saturn.

How does the new Saturn do against the Nintendo 64? It's hard to say. If Sega makes a lot of dumb decisions early on, the fifth generation could end up the same as the fourth: a close race with Nintendo on top. If Sega smartens up, even a bit later into the system's life (like, say, when Final Fantasy VII is released), they probably beat Nintendo fairly easily.

This sounds good. I don't think the Saturn here would be launched early since they mainly did that due to the PlayStation, which obviously basically is the Saturn here so that would be butterflied away too. The other issues though aren't necessarily negated either. And yeah, that using the CD as a test and Sonic X-Treme all sound good. I am unsure what would happen with games like Knuckles Chaotix or Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon though. Maybe Chaotix gets held back for the Saturn to test it's 2D capabilities? The other two from what I can see or more up in the air though.

And yes, those localizations would be nice. With Tom Kalinske still at SoA I can see that paying off. From my research he seems like one of the main reasons they came so close to winning the console wars in the first place.

This is one I'm surprised isn't more common, given the prevalence of "Nintendo Playstation" scenarios.

Indeed, I've noticed hardly any of a Sega PlayStation. But hey, perfect chance for me to get to work on one.

This is one I'm surprised isn't more common, given the prevalence of "Nintendo Playstation" scenarios.

Mostly Because that Trivia is Fairly new, we only knew about it since Tom Kalinske Mentioned it in Console Wars Book like 2 or 3 years ago, we already kickstarted PTS by that time and we were even surprised and mostly how Sega when Fumbled when Sony launched a well positioned tackle.... Still is just need a writer, like Thande or Rysenkari&Myself to do a TL.

This sounds good. I don't think the Saturn here would be launched early since they mainly did that due to the PlayStation, which obviously basically is the Saturn here so that would be butterflied away too. The other issues though aren't necessarily negated either. And yeah, that using the CD as a test and Sonic X-Treme all sound good. I am unsure what would happen with games like Knuckles Chaotix or Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon though. Maybe Chaotix gets held back for the Saturn to test it's 2D capabilities? The other two from what I can see or more up in the air though.

And yes, those localizations would be nice. With Tom Kalinske still at SoA I can see that paying off. From my research he seems like one of the main reasons they came so close to winning the console wars in the first place.

Indeed, I've noticed hardly any of a Sega PlayStation. But hey, perfect chance for me to get to work on one.

Saturn was Always Intended to Launch 1994, heck i think they wanted Saturn for 1993(sometimes i wonder if 32X aka Project Mars was a proto-saturn, as thande say sega have three project at the time to be a sucessor to Genesis-Mega Drive, Remember Mega Drive was launched in 1988 in japan and barely do a dent to Famicom, let alone PC-ENGINE AND Super Famicom) so maybe besides better 3D(Sony chips were inhouse and not need of Hitachi here) and cheaper CD cost, i can Imagine a Saturn at 300 buck either side of Pacific.

Some game migth get made some will be butterfly away, some historical irony, Crash Bandicoot Beta name was Willy the Woombat...and sega made a game with the same name yet different concept.

What Nintendo will do will be the main enigma in any TL, when Sega was a fumble-fest, Nintendo Did make a few costly ones too, 1st was the issue in N64 Ram Development, Mostly SGI working more in raw power that make not compatible with high ram or think ram will not fall of prices as quickly as OTL, that leave with 4MB when 6MB even 8MB were considered. 2. the previous point make CD difficult to use as would need more ram in the system and yet leave the chance for point 3. 3. The whole 64DD Fiasco, for me 64DD shoula have been the whole system, with investing in bigger Magnetic Disk and a long etc.

Still that is how investigate,, IIRC Did Silicon Graphics offered their chips to other companies? IIRC Namco was Interested in make a console and they jump Sony support quickly but Namco have issues with Sega(and as we learned, those even Involved Yazukas...).

Still if there not Timeline you can make one, would be pretty interesting,a distant cousin to Ry&I Player Two Start and Massive Multiplayer.

Mostly Because that Trivia is Fairly new, we only knew about it since Tom Kalinske Mentioned it in Console Wars Book like 2 or 3 years ago, we already kickstarted PTS by that time and we were even surprised and mostly how Sega when Fumbled when Sony launched a well positioned tackle.... Still is just need a writer, like Thande or Rysenkari&Myself to do a TL.

Saturn was Always Intended to Launch 1994, heck i think they wanted Saturn for 1993(sometimes i wonder if 32X aka Project Mars was a proto-saturn, as thande say sega have three project at the time to be a sucessor to Genesis-Mega Drive, Remember Mega Drive was launched in 1988 in japan and barely do a dent to Famicom, let alone PC-ENGINE AND Super Famicom) so maybe besides better 3D(Sony chips were inhouse and not need of Hitachi here) and cheaper CD cost, i can Imagine a Saturn at 300 buck either side of Pacific.

Some game migth get made some will be butterfly away, some historical irony, Crash Bandicoot Beta name was Willy the Woombat...and sega made a game with the same name yet different concept.

What Nintendo will do will be the main enigma in any TL, when Sega was a fumble-fest, Nintendo Did make a few costly ones too, 1st was the issue in N64 Ram Development, Mostly SGI working more in raw power that make not compatible with high ram or think ram will not fall of prices as quickly as OTL, that leave with 4MB when 6MB even 8MB were considered. 2. the previous point make CD difficult to use as would need more ram in the system and yet leave the chance for point 3. 3. The whole 64DD Fiasco, for me 64DD shoula have been the whole system, with investing in bigger Magnetic Disk and a long etc.

Still that is how investigate,, IIRC Did Silicon Graphics offered their chips to other companies? IIRC Namco was Interested in make a console and they jump Sony support quickly but Namco have issues with Sega(and as we learned, those even Involved Yazukas...).

Still if there not Timeline you can make one, would be pretty interesting,a distant cousin to Ry&I Player Two Start and Massive Multiplayer.

Hm, was only vaguely aware of something going on in the 90s between Namco and Sega, will need to do more research on that. And yeah. By early launch I meant of course the infamous E3 1995 launch in North America that played a major part in both the Saturn and Sega's decline. That launch I feel, since it was done due to the PS1, would be largely butterflied away. IIRC the PS1 also launched in Japan during 1994, but 1995 in most other places.

And yeah, Nintendo seems to have been pretty quiet compared to Sony and Sega during this period. All of that is interesting. They could change their plans if Sega partners with Sony and they know about it, but then again they might not. I'll do more research before I put too much down for certain. Another interesting tidbit is the N64's launch. It's on June 23 1996. That's also the day Sonic 1 came out, so it's Sonic's anniversary too and as such an obvious day to release SXT. Would Nintendo act to that? Rush the 64 out? Delay it just a tad? Go ahead and crash Sonic's party anyway?

And yeah, I'll look into Silicon Graphics during this time, that sounds like it could be a significant player here.

And interesting trivia for Crash Bandicoot. Didn't know that before.

And yes, I'll look into your timeline there, looks interesting! It could give me some pointers for my own too of course.

Obviously, Sega wins the console wars (as Playstation won OTL) if Sega does not screw third party developers. But, if Sega runs the Sony teams like Sonic Hitler, then Sega loses, Nintendo is the sole system after the SegaSony Gamecast fails, and XBox likely kills Nintendo's Dreamcube. Today, XBox 360 would be the main system.

Obviously, Sega wins the console wars (as Playstation won OTL) if Sega does not screw third party developers. But, if Sega runs the Sony teams like Sonic Hitler, then Sega loses, Nintendo is the sole system after the SegaSony Gamecast fails, and XBox likely kills Nintendo's Dreamcube. Today, XBox 360 would be the main system.

I have never seen that movie clip before....but glad I did. "Gamecast". If it didn't sound so similar to Tiger's "Game.com" I might use it. Either way, yes, since the PS1 and PS2 are both the highest selling consoles of all time, Sega would obviously have to screw up REALLY badly to botch the Sony deal up. Though if Sony uses the weakness of SoJ's leadership to make them effectively subservient to them (and/or Kalinske at SoA), something could happen. That something could be anything though. Either way since Sega will naturally be getting the third party support abandoning the N64 they could still be looking at finally dethroning the Big N in Japan, but unlike IOTL keeping their power in America & Europe.

Since IOTL, the Saturn did reverse one thing: Sega finally beat Nintendo in Japan because the Saturn had more 2D titles and RPGs than the N64, though of course they were still beat out by the PS1. Sega lost their power in Europe and America though. Kalinske himself didn't like the a Saturn's architecture and thought it would be unmarketable.

Sega was never like that even when EA Exhort them with the Genesis and they deserved bad fate in any TL for that... So again buterflies...and how Xbox will Kill gamecube? otl they struggle as badly as the GC and were unable put a dent to wii....

I have never seen that movie clip before....but glad I did. "Gamecast". If it didn't sound so similar to Tiger's "Game.com" I might use it. Either way, yes, since the PS1 and PS2 are both the highest selling consoles of all time, Sega would obviously have to screw up REALLY badly to botch the Sony deal up. Though if Sony uses the weakness of SoJ's leadership to make them effectively subservient to them (and/or Kalinske at SoA), something could happen. That something could be anything though. Either way since Sega will naturally be getting the third party support abandoning the N64 they could still be looking at finally dethroning the Big N in Japan, but unlike IOTL keeping their power in America & Europe.

Since IOTL, the Saturn did reverse one thing: Sega finally beat Nintendo in Japan because the Saturn had more 2D titles and RPGs than the N64, though of course they were still beat out by the PS1. Sega lost their power in Europe and America though. Kalinske himself didn't like the a Saturn's architecture and thought it would be unmarketable.

So all depend how the TL evolves, if you want to write one....

Sega was never like that even when EA Exhort them with the Genesis and they deserved bad fate in any TL for that... So again buterflies...and how Xbox will Kill gamecube? otl they struggle as badly as the GC and were unable put a dent to wii....

So all depend how the TL evolves, if you want to write one....

Yes, indeed. I'm outlining mine right now. May put it up some time later or in the future. I'm assuming my POD should be in 1991 or 1992, that's when I think the deal was proposed to Nakayama and the board based on that article source. It places things after the Nintendo betrayl of Sony, before the Hitachi deal, before the 32X, and just seems like that's the date. That's my approximation though. Unless someone's got a more solid piece of exact dating for this proposal, it's just clear it didn't happen 1994, that date would be too soon to the Saturn & PS1's launches for it to happen.

Yes, indeed. I'm outlining mine right now. May put it up some time later or in the future. I'm assuming my POD should be in 1991 or 1992, that's when I think the deal was proposed to Nakayama and the board based on that article source. It places things after the Nintendo betrayl of Sony, before the Hitachi deal, before the 32X, and just seems like that's the date. That's my approximation though. Unless someone's got a more solid piece of exact dating for this proposal, it's just clear it didn't happen 1994, that date would be too soon to the Saturn & PS1's launches for it to happen.
IIRC Corectly, all Nintendo-Sony Deals Collapse by 1993(when we got the final revision of SNES-CD, this one a weird tri-sides effort of Nintendo,Sony and Phillips so 1992 POD would be Vital) and was not betrayal, that deal was so awful for both parties but both parties didn't want to budge, just nintendo say fucked it and goes ahead with some insane countermeasures(phillips,etc), here some more info ...(search 37b and start to read...)

Saturn was started production in 1993(Mega drive already five years old and a fiasco) otl Nintendo getting SGI and Sony going solo delayed the project... and not not wasn't Sony 3D that was another Myth, was SEGA OWN 3D TECH...Virtua Figther who make the system be delayed till was comparable with Model 1 and early model 2 specs.... remember Virtua Figther was a mega hit in japan, as big or even bigger that Street Figther at the time....

IIRC Corectly, all Nintendo-Sony Deals Collapse by 1993(when we got the final revision of SNES-CD, this one a weird tri-sides effort of Nintendo,Sony and Phillips so 1992 POD would be Vital) and was not betrayal, that deal was so awful for both parties but both parties didn't want to budge, just nintendo say fucked it and goes ahead with some insane countermeasures(phillips,etc), here some more info ...(search 37b and start to read...)

Saturn was started production in 1993(Mega drive already five years old and a fiasco) otl Nintendo getting SGI and Sony going solo delayed the project... and not not wasn't Sony 3D that was another Myth, was SEGA OWN 3D TECH...Virtua Figther who make the system be delayed till was comparable with Model 1 and early model 2 specs.... remember Virtua Figther was a mega hit in japan, as big or even bigger that Street Figther at the time....

Hm, so the latest my POD should happen is 1993? Or 1992? Currently I have it at 1991 or 1992 but uncertain date. I'm a bit confused. I wish there was a decided on date for when this Sega-Sony deal happened/almost happened. Where do you think my POD should be set at? Any info that can be found on dating this? From what I got the 32X at the last hadn't been made. I've never been good at estimating stuff. Once I have this POD issue set I think I can start the work on it. All I can tell is that this is pre-Saturn and pre-32X, and post CD and post Nintendo turns to Philips. So, this puts the POD in 1993? or at the very earliest 1992?

And interesting info. Definitely gonna read up on this.

Right, that sounds about right. Thanks for all this info. Reading it is really making me see that SEGA's Japanese branch really was infected with bad cases of stupidity. Gonna be fun writing their parts. And that silicon graphics chip, nice chance they had. Unsure whether that would still happen or if Sony's own chips would be used instead. And indeed, I really can't imagine whatever was going through Nakayama and SoJ's board when they decided the Atari Jaguar was worth making an entire add-on for the Genesis over. Only thing good about it is that they didn't design it like a toilet I guess like it's "competitor" did with their own define-a-new-meaning-of-useless add-on. But they did design it like a mushroom-shaped tumor for the Genesis.....

Yeah, it seems like Spring/Early '93 is the best bet. Based on all of those readings it seems like the timing is perfect for Spring. Anything after the "let's make a 32-bit system because the Jaguar is totally gonna start beating the Geneis" is too late. For more than just one thing too.

And interesting, this "GigaDrive"/Proto-Saturn is sure to be mentioned/brought up in my timeline's events. This is all really shaping my idea up nicely.

Yeah that was something hard for our own TL, even here they knew they can not bicker and drift appart to much as a single mistake would be pretty costly against Nintendo-Sony. So yeah here they would bicker till bargaing something. OTL looks Insane why they even Feared the Jaguar, not offense to Atari fans...but Atari already have botched their ways in the industry thirce so they should have just keep safe with Genesis...even trully supporting Mega-CD Instead that...thing....

IIRC, The GigaDrive was the original Idea of MEGA-CD/CDX, The more you investigate...Genesis sucess was too much to sega who wanted to remplace Mega Drive all together as failed against Nintendo and NEC in japan even with the meteoric rise in USA And Europe...Sega like always....

So tell me when ready the TL, would be nice to read....

Yeah that was something hard for our own TL, even here they knew they can not bicker and drift appart to much as a single mistake would be pretty costly against Nintendo-Sony. So yeah here they would bicker till bargaing something. OTL looks Insane why they even Feared the Jaguar, not offense to Atari fans...but Atari already have botched their ways in the industry thirce so they should have just keep safe with Genesis...even trully supporting Mega-CD Instead that...thing....

IIRC, The GigaDrive was the original Idea of MEGA-CD/CDX, The more you investigate...Genesis sucess was too much to sega who wanted to remplace Mega Drive all together as failed against Nintendo and NEC in japan even with the meteoric rise in USA And Europe...Sega like always....

So tell me when ready the TL, would be nice to read....

Yeah, that is all too true. Right now I'm envisioning Nakayama being skpetical/reluctant on his "Yes" and he being effectively that way the whole time while his board is just the infected-with-stupid sack of idiots that they are trying to convince him that Sega is literally at death's door and the headquarters about to light up on fire any second practically. Though Sony could "poach" off the most troublesome executives. Though probably only keep the inevitable confrontation at bay. idk how plausible that is. Maybe the devs would get along better though.

And yes, that Tumor shaped thing. I loved my Genesis growing up, if I still had it I might consider getting it the CD but I don't know if I'd be willing to make it look like it has a giant tumor on the top of it's head and is on life support in the hospital just to play a game I can probably play via emulator. Like I said, it's only virtue is that it's not designed like a toilet at least (seriously worst design ever for a console/add-on = Jaguar CD), but it's not like the 32X was designed much better either.

And yeah. SoJ really didn't understand how marketing outside of Japan works. I have a feeling they never even looked at the freakin' charts of the Genesis' sales for America. It's almost like history literally gave them opportunities (Kalinske, N64 chip, Sony deal, etc.) to do better but they literally decided "Ignorance is Bliss" and turned it all away.

And yeah, I will investigate. I know the Sega CD was out in 1991 though, so if the deal was in Spring '93 the CD was already out and Sonic CD was about to be released.

Oh and don't forget Brazil. In Brazil, Master System and Genesis both still sell. Sega was dominant in Brazil always.

You Nailed it Perfectly, when Nintendo did was too careful yet commit some mistakes, at time sega have everything in a silver linning yet fumbled so epically....that is why is so (in)famous OTL.

The idea of support, port the two previous Sonic games, port more game at optimal price, tell third parties will be incentives for dual releases and so on, chance to show the system will be support till the end and they failed it...and the less we talk the 32X the better....

So tell me how this unfold, will be pretty funny and ncie too see.

You Nailed it Perfectly, when Nintendo did was too careful yet commit some mistakes, at time sega have everything in a silver linning yet fumbled so epically....that is why is so (in)famous OTL.

The idea of support, port the two previous Sonic games, port more game at optimal price, tell third parties will be incentives for dual releases and so on, chance to show the system will be support till the end and they failed it...and the less we talk the 32X the better....

So tell me how this unfold, will be pretty funny and ncie too see.

Yep. SoJ was practically handed by history all these chances, but passed on literally all of them. They were lucky History even gave them Kalinske, honestly. When he tried to help them though, they swiftly shut him down. He was smart enough to abandon ship though when he saw their B.S. adding up.

SoJ got what it wanted, they beat Nintendo in Japan, yes, but it was at such a high price. They lost America and Europe. They weren't even really winning Japan, they were just beating Nintendo, not Sony.

Funny, I actually have thought about things like Sonic 1/2 ported on the CD with updated soundtrack, Sonic 3 Complete on the CD, and the like. Maybe "Sonic Movie Maker" could be a real thing and maybe other Sonic games to rival Mario's many spin-offs. But those are just ideas. I'm unsure how to write the games into the timeline right now. Most of the Pre-Saturn ones will probably be released as per OTL save the 32X ones which either are on the CD or saved for Saturn.

And yeah, I'm writing it right now actually. I might have gotten some facts wrong regarding some of the naming and timing but I don't think it's too much major stuff. At least I hope so. I might have it ready soon.