The Pythagorean NFL

I can't figure out why the sims start in 1941 either. It's made these last few years kind of awkward when it comes to championship games, but the alternative was to not have championship games until 1941, and I didn't think that was fair.

By the way, Colonel (or anyone else), could you expand on what Sammy Baugh said about his first pass in the 1940 Championship Game? I've never heard that story.

By the way, Colonel (or anyone else), could you expand on what Sammy Baugh said about his first pass in the 1940 Championship Game? I've never heard that story.

The score was 7-0 Chicago when Baugh threw what would have been a touchdown pass, but it was dropped and the Redskins failed to score; all the while, the Bears were en route to stomping Washington 73-0.

A reporter asked Baugh after the game what would have happened had the pass been caught. Baugh replied, “The score would have been 73-7.”

Now let's look at 1938. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 10-1 (+2)
Washington Redskins: 5-6 (-1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 5-6 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 4-7 (0)
Pittsburgh Pirates: 2-9 (0)

As is usually the case, there's little competition for the division title, as the Giants roll by five and will host this year's Championship Game. The defending champion Redskins fall below .500. but still manage to finish tied for second with the improving Eagles, taking the expected wins tiebreaker 5.2 to 5.1. The Dodgers move up to fourth, and the Pirates fall back into the basement. In six years, they've managed to win just twelve games, an average of two a year.

Now to the West:

Green Bay Packers: 9-2 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 7-4 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 6-5 (-1)
Cleveland Rams: 3-8 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 3-8 (0)

We finally have a clear-cut winner in the West, as the Pack take the division by two over the defending champion Bears, who improve by one. The Lions drop a game, which means that the two teams trade places in the standings. The Rams and Cardinals finish tied for fourth, and the expected wins tiebreaker goes to the Redbirds, 3.0 to 2.6.

This year's Championship Game took place at the Polo Grounds on December 11, and the Giants withstood a 378-yard offensive barrage from the Pack to prevail, 23-17. They thus become the second team in NFL history to win four championships.

Next: We turn to 1939.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now for our look at 1939. We begin in the East:

Washington Redskins: 10-1 (+2)
New York Giants: 9-2 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 2-9 (-2)
Pittsburgh Pirates: 2-9 (+1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 2-9 (+1)

The Skins' two-game improvement is enough for them to take the division title from the Giants, who stand pat and have to settle for second. As for the also-rans, all you need to know is that the Pirates and Eagles had to improve by a game each to catch the reeling Dodgers. We go to the expected win totals to break the three-way tie, and all that's settled is that the Bums will finish last at 1.7. The Pirates and Eagles are still tied for third at 2.0, so we go to the head-to-head tiebreaker. Each team won a game, but the Bucs outscored the Eagles 38-29, so they take third and the Eagles finish fourth.

After seven years and just fourteen wins, the Pirates will undergo a much-needed name change for 1940, as they become our beloved Steelers.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 9-2 (+1)
Green Bay Packers: 8-3 (-1)
Cleveland Rams: 7-4 (+2)
Detroit Lions: 5-6 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 1-10 (0)

For the first time, both division titles change hands, as the Bears improve by one while the Pack drops one, allowing the teams to switch places. The surprising Rams improve by a pair to take third from the slumping Lions, while the hapless Redbirds stay where they are: in the basement.

This year's title game took place at Wrigley Field on December 10, and the Monsters of the Midway scored twenty points in the second half to complete a 27-0 whitewashing of the Redskins, who turned the ball over six times on the day. The Bears thus become the first franchise to win five NFL championships.

Next: It's on to 1940.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now here's our look at 1940. We begin in the East:

Washington Redskins: 9-2 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 8-3 (0)
New York Giants: 5-6 (-1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 2-9 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 1-10 (-1)
r
The usual Eastern pattern of two teams good, three teams bad holds sway; the Skins take their fourth division title in five years, but it's the Dodgers who improve by six games over 1939 to finish a strong second. The Giants slip under .500 and finish third, and the Eagles nose out the newly-renamed Steelers for fourth. The Pittsburgh club's name change doesn't help them one bit, and their record through eight years in the league is a mind-numbing 15-77.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 8-3 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 8-3 (+2)
Cleveland Rams: 5-6 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 5-6 (0)
Chicago Cardinals: 3-8 (+1)

After a two-year hiatus, we have another tie atop the West, as the Pack improves by two to catch the Bears. We also have a tie for third, as the Rams improve by one to draw even with the Lions. The Cards improve by a game as well, but still finish in the basement all by themselves.

We go to the expected win totals to break both ties. First, let's break the tie for third. The Lions and Cards both have a score of 4.8, so then we go to the head-to-head tiebreaker. The teams split their two games, but the Rams outscored the Lions 24-6, so they take third. In the battle for the top spot, the Bears edge the Packers 8.2 to 8.1, so the Bears and Redskins will meet in the Championship Game for the fourth time in five years, this time at Washington's Griffith Stadium.

The title game was played on December 8, and it produced the most famous rout in NFL history, as the Bears destroyed the Skins 73-0. They've mow outscored the Skins 100-0 over the last two Championship Games. The Bears are thus back-to-back champions for the second time in their history (the first was in 1932-33) and have now won six NFL titles overall, two more than any other franchise.

Next: It's on to 1941.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A word to all readers:

1941 is the first season that is able to be simmed by WhatIf Sports. However, I'm not going to sim matchups that have already taken place in real life, so it may or may not be a while before this thread sees any game action. I'll keep you apprised on any changes I make to this policy as we go along.

Now we look at 1941. Let's begin in the East:

New York Giants: 9-2 (+1)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 7-4 (0)
Washington Redskins: 6-5 (0)
Philadelphia Eagles: 2-9 (0)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 1-10 (0)

Not much to talk about. The only team to show movement is the champion Giants, who improve by one to increase their winning margin to two games. The Dodgers finish second for the second time in three years, while the defending champion Redskins fall to third. The Pennsylvania teams bring up the rear, and the Steelers' overall nine-year record is 16-87, with four wins the most they've had in a given year.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 10-1 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 10-1 (0)
Detroit Lions: 3-8 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 3-8 (0)
Cleveland Rams: 2-9 (0)

Again, there's only one team that shows movement: the Lions, who drop a game and end up tied for third with the Cardinals. In what's fast becoming a yearly occurrence, the Bears and Packers tie for the Western crown at 10-1, but for the first time in divisional play, a playoff game will be held to determine who goes to this year's Championship Game. The Rams, meanwhile, remain locked in the basement.

Firlst

Last edited:
First. let's break the tie for third, which will still be done by expected win total. The Cardinals prevail, 2.9 to 2.7, which means that they finish third and the Lions fall to fourth.

The first divisional playoff game in NFL history took place on December 14 at Wrigley Field, and the Bears racked up 277 yards on the ground on the way to a 33-14 blowout of the Packers. The Championship Game was the following Sunday at the Friendly Confines, and the visiting Giants were no match, as the Bears rushed for 207 more yards and gained 389 yards total on the way to a 37-9 cakewalk. The Bears have now won seven NFL titles, and they're the first team to win three championships in a row.

Next: We examine 1942.

Thoughts?

Now let's look at 1942. As usual, we begin in the East:

Washington Redskins: 10-1 (0)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8-3 (+1)
New York Giants: 6-4 (+1)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 3-8 (0)
Philadelphia Eagles: 2-9 (0)

The Redskins winning the East is no surprise, and neither is the Giants' slump following their championship in '41. But look who finishes second; the Steelers not only break .500 for the first time ever, but improve by a game to boot. It won't last, as the Steelers won't even be the Steelers again until 1945. The Giants improve by a game to finish over .500, and the Dodgers and Eagles both stay put.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 11-0 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 8-3 (0)
Cleveland Rams: 4-7 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 2-9 (-1)
Detroit Lions: 0-11 (0)

The Bears continue their dominance, becoming the league's first undefeated regular season team since the '34 Lions. Speaking of whom, they finish winless this year and stay in the division basement. The Pack finishes a strong second, while the Rams and Cards fill in the middle with their own brand of sub-mediocrity. The Bears and Skins will thus meet in the Championship Game for the fifth time in seven years, and the Bears will be trying to win their fourth NFL championship in a row.

The title game took place on December 13 at Washington's Griffith Stadium, and the home squad stopped the Bears from completing football's grand slam, defeating them 14-6 to take their second world championship.

Next: It's on to 1943.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's move on to 1943, beginning in the East. Note that the Eagles and Steelers have combined to form the Steagles and also that the Rams have temporarily suspended operations:

Washington Redskins: 8-2 (+2)
New York Giants: 6-4 (0)
Steagles: 5-5 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 1-9 (-1)

The real-life 6-3-1 tie between the Redskins and Giants is definitively settled, as the Skins improve by a pair to take the division crown while the Giants stay put and finish second. The Steagles remain third, while the Bums drop a game and stay in the basement.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 8-2 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 7-3 (0)
Detroit Lions: 4-6 (+1)
Chicago Cardinals: 1-9 (+1)

The top two spots don't change at all, as the Bears prevail by a game over the Pack. Both the third-place Lions and last-place Cardinals improve by a game, but that doesn't help them in the standings. It does, however, spare the feckless Redbirds a winless season. This means that for the sixth time in eight years, the Bears and Redskins will play for the NFL championship.

This year's Championship Game took place on December 19 at Wrigley Field, and it was another dominating performance by the Monsters of the Midway. Sid Luckman threw for 286 yards and five touchdowns, and the Bears racked up 455 yards in total offense on the way to a 41-21 victory. They've now won four of the last five NFL titles, and this is their eighth overall.

Next: A look at 1944.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A word to all readers:

At some point in the next few days, I'm going to switch gears and do as much as I can of the AAFC and the first six years of the AFL. I need just a few more days to get myself strong enough to handle full-game writeups, which I want to do for championship games and Super Bowls at least. If I get through the entire AAFC and 1965 (the last season before the debut of the Super Bowl) in the AFL, that will be ten days, which should be enough time for me to get strong enough to at least attempt a decent sim. If I need extra time, I'll work on another timeline (probably my ABA one) until I'm ready. I'm a lot stronger than I was even a week ago, but I'm still not quite at the top of my game yet, and those of you who are reading this deserve nothing less than my best.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned, because the best is yet to come!

Last edited:
Now let's move on to 1944. Note that the Cardinals and Steelers have combined into one franchise named the Card-Pitts which will play in the West. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 9-1 (+1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 8-2 (+1)
Washington Redskins: 5-5 (-1)
Boston Yanks: 1-9 (-1)
Brooklyn Tigers: 1-9 (+1)

The big story here is the resurgence of the Eagles, who finish a strong second, just one game behind the Giants. The Skins drop one to finish exactly at .500, while the expansion Yanks and renamed Tigers finish tied at 1-9. We go to the expected win totals to settle things, and the Tigers claim fourth, 1.1 to 0.8. Not bad for a team that finished winless in real life.

Now to the West:

Green Bay Packers: 8-2 (0)
Detroit Lions: 7-3 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 7-3 (+1)
Cleveland Rams: 4-6 (0)
Card-Pitts: 1-9 (+1)

The Pack stays where it is to take the division title by a game over the resurgent Lions and the slumping Bears, while the Rams return to a fourth-place finish. Then there are the Card-Pitts, who improve by a game to avoid a winless season but still finish deep in the basement.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for second, and the Bears edge out a 7.2 to 7.0 victory.

This year's Championship Game took place at the Polo Grounds on December 17, and the Packers held off the Giants 14-7 to claim their first NFL title since 1938 and their fifth overall.

Next: We look at 1945.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now here's our look at the AAFC for 1946. We begin in the East:

New York Yankees: 10-4 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 4-10 (+1)
Buffalo Bisons: 4-10 (+1)
Miami Seahawks: 2-12 (-1)

Football's Pinstripes take the first Eastern crown by a whopping six games over the Dodgers and Bisons, who each improve by a game, while the Seahawks drop a game to sink further into the basement. The Dodgers aren't the same franchise that's been competing in the NFL since the early thirties, and Miami's Seahawks have nothing to do with the current ones from Seattle; they'll move to Baltimore next year and become the Colts (yes, the same ones who are currently in Indianapolis).

We go to the expected win totals to, break the tie for second, and the Dodgers and Bisons remain deadlocked at 3.9. So we go to the head-to-head tiebreaker. Each team won a game, but the Dodgers outscored the Bisons 41-31, so they take second and the Bisons finish third.

Now to the West:

Cleveland Browns: 13-1 (+1)
San Francisco 49ers: 11-3 (+2)
Los Angeles Dons: 7-7 (0)
Chicago Rockets: 6-8 (+1)

The Browns ride the league's best record to the first Western crown, which means that the Niners still finish two games out despite a two-game improvement. The Dons stay put, and the Rockets' one-game improvement still leaves them in the basement.

Last edited:
Allow me to continue:

The Browns and Yankees met in the first AAFC Championship Game on December 22 at Cleveland's Municipal Stadium, and the Browns prevailed 14-9 to become the AAFC's first champions, Dante Lavelli caught a touchdown pass from Otto Graham in the fourth quarter for the winning score.

Next: We look at 1947.

Thoughts?

Now let's move on to 1947. We begin in the East:

New York Yankees: 11-3 (0)
Buffalo Bills: 8-6 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 3-11 (0)
Baltimore Colts: 2-12 (0)

For the first time in this thread, there's absolutely no movement in a grouping. The Yankees repeat as champions by three games over the renamed Bills, then it's five games back to the Dodgers and six games back to the renamed and relocated Colts (who, contrary to what I said yesterday, are unrelated to today's Indianapolis Colts).

Now to the West:

Cleveland Browns: 12-2 (0)
San Francisco 49ers: 9-5 (+1)
Los Angeles Dons: 9-5 (+2)
Chicago Rockets: 3-11 (+2)

The Browns stay where they are and repeat as Western champions, while the Dons improve by a pair to catch the Niners (who improve by one) for second. The Rockets' two-game improvement still leaves them six games out of second place and nine games out of first.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for second, and the Dons top the Niners 9.0 to 8.7.

This year's Championship Game happened at Yankee Stadium in New York on December 14, and the Browns won their second straight title defeating the Pinstripes 14-3.

Next: We examine 1948.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now for our look at 1948. We begin in the East:

Buffalo Bills: 7-7 (0)
Baltimore Colts: 7-7 (0)
New York Yankees: 6-8 (0)
Brooklyn Dodgers: 4-10 (+2)

The only team to show movement is the last-place Dodgers, and all it does is bring them two games closer to third place. The tie between the Bills and Colts for the division title remains intact, as does the slide to third place of the two-time defending champion Yankees. The Bills and Colts settled their tie with a playoff game on December 12 at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, and the Bills scored twenty-one unanswered fourth-quarter points to stun the Colts 28-17 and advance to the AAFC Championship Game.

Now to the West:

Cleveland Browns: 12-2 (-2)
San Francisco 49ers: 12-2 (0)
Los Angeles Dons: 6-8 (-1)
Chicago Rockets: 2-12 (-1)

We have a tie atop the West as well; as the Browns lose their perfect season with a two-game dip and fall into a tie with the Niners, who stay put. The Dons and Rockets each drop a game, but don't move in the standings.

According to Pythagorean rules, expected win total will determine home-field advantage in tiebreaker games. The Browns edge the Niners 11.8 to 11.7, so the game will take place at Municipal Stadium on December 12.

Next: To be determined. This thread's probably going to go away until I can sim games, which won't be any time soon; I'm just not up to it.

Thoughts?

Last edited: