The Pythagorean NFL

It is, DTF. I walked all the way to my room for the first time in six months today, so I can get to half of my house. Now comes the other half.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now it's time for 1963 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 11-3 (0)
Cleveland Browns: 9-5 (-1)
St. Louis Cardinals: 9-5 (0)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8-6 (+1)
Dallas Cowboys: 5-9 (+1)
Washington Redskins: 4-10 (+1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 4-10 (+2)

The Giants remain where they are to take their third straight Eastern title, while the Browns drop one to fall into a second-place tie with the Redbirds, who stand pat. The Steelers improve by one to solidify fourth, and the Cowboys improve by one to avoid the tie at the bottom between the Skins (one-game improvement) and the Eagles (two-game improvement).

We go to the expected win totals to break both ties. The Browns rout the Cards 9.2 to 8.5 to take second place and a Playoff Bowl berth, while the Skins take care of the Eagles with ease 4.2 to 3.6 and thus take sixth.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 12-2 (+1)
Green Bay Packers: 11-3 (0)
Detroit Lions: 9-5 (+4)
Baltimore Colts: 8-6 (0)
Minnesota Vikings: 5-9 (0)
Los Angeles Rams: 3-11 (-2)
San Francisco 49ers: 2-12 (0)

The Bears improve by one to eliminate the need for a playoff in the West. Only two other teams move at all: the Rams drop a pair of games to fall into sixth place by themselves, and the Lions jump up by four and move from fifth to third, still three games behind the Bears.

The Playoff Bowl happened on January 5, 1964 at the Orange Bowl, and the Packers beat the Browns 40-23. The NFL Championship Game was held on December 29 at Wrigley Field, and the Bears edged the Giants 14-10 to claim their ninth overall NFL title, tying them for the mom

Last edited:
Now it's time for the 1962 Playoff Bowl from the Orange Bowl in Miami. Game time temperature is 71 degrees with a south-southeast wind of 12 MPH.

The game remained scoreless until the fourth quarter. Late in the third, the Lions began to move the ball when quarterback Milt Plum found wideout Gail Codgill for a 21-yard gain. On the first play of the fourth quarter, it was Plum to Codgill again for twelve, and later in the drive reserve running back Tom Wadkins galloped for twenty yards and a first down at the Cleveland 25. The touchdown came on third and three from the 18, when running back Dan Lewis took a handoff and bolted up the middle and into the end zone for the score. Wayne Walker's extra point gave the Lions a 7-0 lead with 10:45 remaining in the game.

The Browns knew they had to hurry to score twice and win, and it took them less than two minutes to answer. Quarterback Frank Ryan hit a seventeen-yard pass to split end Rich Kreitling, a thirteen-yarder to split end Ray Renfro, and a ten-yarder to the one and only Jim Brown. Brown also bolted up the middle on a draw play for twenty-three yards and a first down. The drive eventually reached the Detroit five, and Lou Groza kicked a twelve-yard field goal to cut the Detroit lead to 7-3. That ended up being the final score, as the Lions managed to hold on to the ball for the rest of the game.

Lewis was named the game's MVP by CBS Television; he carried sixteen times for 74 yards and the game-winning touchdown.

Next: To be determined.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now it's time to look at 1964 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

Cleveland Browns: 10-4 (0)
St. Louis Cardinals: 8-6 (-1)
Washington Redskins: 7-7 (+1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 7-7 (+1)
Dallas Cowboys: 6-8 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 5-9 (0)
New York Giants: 3-11 (+1)

The Browns win the division by a pair thanks to a one-game drop by the Redbirds, while the Skins and Eagles each gain a game and remain tied. The Boys add a game, the Steelers stay put, and the Giants fall from first last year to worst this year, though they gain a game to make their final record slightly more respectable.

We go to the expected win totals to break the tie for third, and the Skins edge the Eagles, 7.1 to 7.0.

Now to the West:

Baltimore Colts: 12-2 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 10-4 (+2)
Minnesota Vikings: 9-5 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 8-6 (+1)
Los Angeles Rams: 6-8 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 4-10 (-1)
San Francisco 48ers: 4-10 (0)

The Colts stay put to win the West, but the Pack improves by a pair to take undisputed possession of second and a Playoff Bowl date with the Cardinals. The Vikes, Rams, and Lions all improve by a game (though the Vikes slip into third place). Then there are the defending world champions from Chicago, who find themselves in a tie for sixth with the Niners this year after slipping to 4-10. Nothing that a shot of Sayers and a bit of Butkus won't cure, though.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for sixth, and it's the Niners who come out on top, 4.4 to 4.1.

The NFL Championship Game happened on December 27 at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, and the Browns shut out the Colts 27-0 to claim their first NFL title that we've talked about so far in this timeline. The Playoff Bowl was contested at the Orange Bowl on January 3, and the Cards defeated the Packers 24-17.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now it's tome for the 1960 NFL Championship Game from Municipal Stadium in Cleveland. Game time temperature is 35 degrees; wind and precipitation information are unknown.

The Browns scored first. The big play on the drive was Jim Brown's 43-yard scamper on a draw play that carried from the Browns 35 all the way to the Green Bay 22. Two plays later on a first and goal from the six, quarterback Milt Plum connected with Ray Renfro for the touchdown, and Sam Baker added the extra point. With 9:25 left in the opening quarter, the home team led 7-0.

The Packers answered on their very next possession. Running back Jim Taylor knifed off the left side for eleven yards on the very first play, and quarterback Bart Starr followed that up with a ten-yard strike to wide receiver Boyd Dowler. Later in the drive, he converted a third and eight from the Browns 30 by finding a wide open Max McGee, who broke a tackle and raced all the way to the four-yard line before he was pushed out of bounds. On the very next play, Starr flipped the ball to Dowler in the end zone for the touchdown. Paul Hornung added the extra point, and with 4:27 to go in the opening period, we were tied at seven.

It took just two plays for the Packers to score again the next time they had the ball. First, Hornung carried up the middle on a draw for eleven yards and a first down at the Cleveland 48. Then, Starr found tight end Gary Knafelc over the middle at the thirty. With three defenders hanging on to him at one point or another during his journey, Knafelc took the ball the rest of the way for the go-ahead touchdown. Hornung's extra point made the score Green Bay 14, Cleveland 7 after one.

The next time they had the ball, the Pack found themselves pinned back at their own twelve after a good punt by Baker. But Taylor's twelve-yard bolt up the middle got them out of trouble, and Starr completed key passes of thirteen yards to McGee and ten yards to Tom Moore. The rest of the yardage was picked up, a few yards at a time, as the Pack slowly wore down the Cleveland defense. The score came on a five-yard plunge up the middle by Hornung, and he added the extra point to put the visitors up 21-7 with 2:35 remaining in the first half. The particulars of the drive: fifteen plays, 88 yards, 9:53 off the clock.

The Browns got back in the game before halftime thanks to a brilliant punt return by Jim Shofner that set them up at the Green Bay 38. One handoff to Brown later, they were back in the game, as Brown ran the Packer sweep to the left and outsprinted its namesakes all the way to the end zone. Baker added the extra point, and at halftime the Browns were back to within 21-14. The score was still 21-14 after three quarters, but the Pack was driving, as a nineteen-yard jaunt up the middle by Hornung was the key play in a drive that had them at the Cleveland 39.

Starr continued the drive as the fourth quarter dawned, completing key passes to Dowler for seventeen yards and McGee for ten. The Pack now looked at first and goal from the seven, and Hornung took a pitchout from Starr, skirted right end, and waltzed into the end zone for what turned out to be the clinching touchdown. All that remained was the extra point, and the Packers could celebrate their tenth NFL championship to date (as covered by this timeline so far, at least). This is also their third championship in a row (we've already covered '61 and '62) and their fifth in the decade of the sixties. Final score: Packers 28, Browns 14.

Hornung was named MVP by NBC Television; he carried nineteen times for 66 yards and two touchdowns and also converted all four of his extra point attempts.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm going to skip over 1965 in the NFL for the time being because it features a situation not found in either applicable universe, at least not to my knowledge. Besides, I want to get back to the 1940s before I forget to do them altogether. With that in mind, here's 1945, beginning in the East. Note: Boston and Brooklyn combine their teams this year.

Washington Redskins: 8-2 (0)
Philadelphia Eagles: 8-2 (+1)
New York Giants: 4-6 (+1)
Boston/Brooklyn Yanks/Tigers: 2-8 (-1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 1-9 (-1)

The Eagles improve by a game to tie the Redskins and force a playoff for the division title. In other news, the defending champion Giants slip under .500 and fall to third place, while the Boston-Brooklyn combination flops and the Steelers' return to individual competition does as well.

We go to the expected win totals to determine home field advantage for the playoff, and the Eagles prevail 8.4 to 7.9. Therefore, the Eastern Division championship game will take place on December 16 at Philadelphia's Shibe Park.

Now to the West:

Cleveland Rams: 8-2 (-1)
Green Bay Packers: 7-3 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 5-5 (-2)
Chicago Bears: 4-6 (+1)
Chicago Cardinals: 1-9 (0)

The Rams drop a game, but still give the fans of Cleveland a going-away present in the form of a division crown, their first ever. Next year, they'll be plying their trade in Los Angeles. In other news, the Pack gains a game to finish a strong second, while the Lions drop a pair and fall to third. Adding a game doesn't get the Bears to .500, and the Cards finish last at 1-9, just like their former "teammates" in Pittsburgh.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's look at 1946 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 8-3 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-4 (+2)
Philadelphia Eagles: 6-5 (0)
Washington Redskins: 5-6 (0)
Boston Yanks: 3-8 (+1)

The big story here comes from Pittsburgh, where the Steelers gain a pair of games and move from a tie for third to sole possession of second behind the division champion Giants. This moves the Eagles down to third and the Skins down to fourth without either team doing a thing. The Yanks' one-game improvement isn't enough to keep them out of the basement.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 8-3 (0)
Chicago Cardinals: 7-4 (+1)
Los Angeles Rams: 6-5 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 5-6 (-1)
Detroit Lions: 2-9 (+1)

For the first time in history, Chicago's gridiron teams finish one-two in the same division thanks to the Redbirds' one-game improvement.. The Rams welcome themselves to California by staying where they are and finishing third, while the Pack drops under .500 and settles for fourth. Meanwhile, the Lions gain a game but still end up with the league's worst record.

Last edited:
The NFL Championship Game was contested on December 15 at the Polo Grounds, and the Bears scored ten points in the fourth quarter to break a 14-14 tie and claim their tenth overall NFL championship, 24-14. As of now, they're once again tied with the Packers for the most NFL titles in Pythagorean history.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's look at 1947 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

Philadelphia Eagles: 8-4 (0)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 6-6 (-2)
Washington Redskins: 5-7 (-1)
Boston Yanks: 3-9 (-1)
New York Giants: 3-9 (+1)

The biggest news here is that the Steelers drop a pair of games, allowing the Eagles to take the division title outright. The Skins add a game and finish in third by themselves, while the Yanks shed a game and the defending champion Giants gain a game, thus creating a tie for fourth.

We go to the expected win totals to settle it, and the Yanks prevail 3.2 to 2.9, thus sending the Giants from first to worst.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 9-3 (+1)
Chicago Cardinals: 8-4 (-1)
Green Bay Packers: 8-4 (+2)
Los Angeles Rams: 7-5 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 4-8 (+1)

We have a title change, as the real-life champion Cardinals drop a game and the Bears add one, thus allowing the Bears to repeat. The Pack adds a pair to force a tie for second, while the Rams pick up one to finish over .500 and the Lions do the same to appear a bit more respectable. We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for second

Last edited:
…..and the Cards edge out the Pack, 7.9 to 7.8.

The NFL Championship Game will be held on Sunday, December 21 at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
i
A word about the future of this timeline:

It's been a bit of a tough week around here. Not only is it hot enough that therapy is difficult for me, but my dad has just been diagnosed with heart trouble. He's doing well, but physical exertion is a bit much for him at the moment, which means that he can't put the air conditioner in my room, which means that I can't go in there due to excessive heat. (The only window in the room is the one my air conditioner fits in.)

So what does this have to do with the way we like our eggs?

Simply put, sims are much easier to run on the computer in my room. I can struggle through them on the machine I'm using now, but only with a whole lot of swearing and praying that I don't accidentally delete the stupid things before I'm finished writing them up. It's too hot to struggle and swear, so since the chronology of this timeline is ruined anyway, I'm going to take the next few days to cover the pre-merger years where sims don't need to be run. After that, if my dad still isn't up to putting in my air conditioner, I'll do the best I can whenever I get the time and energy. On the days when I have neither, I'll post standings from other years, and this time I promise to do it chronologically if it kills me.

I enjoy doing at least a little bit every day, so unless something unforeseen happens you'll at least get standings from some year or other. I'll catch up on the sims once all of our issues are squared away.

Thanks for reading, and the best is yet to come!

Now let's look at 1951. We begin in the American Division:

Cleveland Browns: 10-2 (-1)
New York Giants: 9-3 (0)
Philadelphia Eagles: 5-7 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 4-8 (0)
Chicago Cardinals: 4-8 (+1)
Washington Redskins: 3-9 (-2)

The Browns drop a game, but still take the division by a game over the G-Men, who freeze where they are. The Skins drop two games, which is enough to slide them from third all the way into the basement. The Eagles take their place thanks in part to a one-game improvement, while the Cards add a game to jump into a fourth-place tie with the Steelers, who stand pat.

We go to the expected win totals to break the tie for fourth, and the Steelers prevail, 4.3 to 3.9.

Now to the National Division:

Los Angeles Rams: 9-3 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 8-4 (+1)
San Francisco 49ers: 8-4 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 6-6 (-1)
Green Bay Packers: 3-9 (0)
New York Yanks: 3-9 (+2)

All three of the top teams gain a game, which means that the Rams still take the division crown and the Lions and Niners still finish tied for second. The Bears' one-game drop lands them in fourth by themselves, while the Yanks add a pair to move into a tie for fifth with the Pack, who remain where they are.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for fifth, and it goes to the Packers, 3.4 to 3.0.

Next, we go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for second, and it goes to the Lions, 7.8 to 7.5.

The NFL Championship Game took place on December 23 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, and the Rams won their first championship that we've covered so far in Los Angeles, 24-17 on a last-minute 73-yard touchdown pass from Norm Van Brocklin to Tom Fears.

Next: We look at 1952.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's look at 1952. We begin in the American:

Cleveland Browns: 9-3 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-5 (+2)
Philadelphia Eagles: 6-6 (-1)
New York Giants: 6-6 (-1)
Washington Redskins: 5-7 (+1)
Chicago Cardinals: 4-8 (0)

The Browns add a game to cement their division title, while their archrivals from Pittsburgh pick up a pair to vault into second place. The Eagles and Giants each drop a game to preserve their tie for third, while the Skins add a game to break their tie for fifth with the Cardinals, who remain in the basement with no change.

We go to the expected win totals to break the tie for third, and the Giants take it with ease, 6.1 to 5.5.

Now to the National:

Detroit Lions: 10-2 (+1)
Los Angeles Rams: 9-3 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 6-6 (0)
Chicago Bears: 4-8 (-1)
Dallas Texans: 1-11 (0)

The Lions improve by a game to break their real-life tie for the division title with the Rams, who stay where they are. The Niners pick up a game, the Bears drop one, and the Packers and expansion Texans remain where they are. The Texans would undergo an ownership change prior to the 1953 season and resurface in Baltimore as the Colts, who of course play today in Indianapolis.

The NFL Championship Game took place on December 21 at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, and the Lions defeated the Browns 17-7 to win their second NFL title in this timeline and their first since 1935.

Next: We skip to 1954.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's look at 1954. We begin in the East:

Cleveland Browns: 10-2 (+1)
New York Giants: 9-3 (+2)
Philadelphia Eagles: 8-4 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 5-7 (0)
Washington Redskins: 2-10 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 2-10 (0)

The Browns add a game, which is just the cushion they need after the Giants' two-game improvement moves them up to second. The Eagles fall to third despite adding a game, while the Steelers stand pat in fourth and the Redskins drop a game to fall into a last-place tie with the Cardinals.

We go to the expected win totals to break the tie for fifth, which goes to the boys from Chicago 2.2 to 1.8.

Now to the West:

Detroit Lions: 10-2 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 7-5 (-1)
Green Bay Packers: 5-7 (+1)
Baltimore Colts: 2-10 (-1)

The Lions take the division crown by two over the Niners, whose one-game improvement moves them into second place. The Bears drop a game and the Rams add one to create a tie for third, while the Pack remains in fifth despite adding a game and the Colts drop one to fall further into the basement.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for third, and the Rams come out on top, 6.7 to 6.5.

The NFL Championship Game happened on December 26 at Municipal Stadium, and it belonged to the homestanding Browns from the start, as they blew out the Lions 56-10 behind six Otto Graham touchdowns, three passing and three rushing. This is the Browns' second NFL title that we've covered so far (we've already looked at 1964).

Next: We skip ahead to 1958.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's have a look at 1958. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 8-4 (-1)
Cleveland Browns: 8-4 (-1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-5 (0)
Washington Redskins: 4-8 (0)
Chicago Cardinals: 4-8 (+2)
Philadelphia Eagles: 4-8 (+2)

Five of the six teams in the division are somehow involved in ties. The Giants and Browns remain tied for the division crown at 8-4 after dropping a game apiece, while the Cardinals and Eagles each improve by a pair to create a three-way tie for fourth with the Redskins at 4-8. The only team to occupy a place by themselves is the Steelers, who freeze where they are and finish third.

The Eastern Division championship game will take place on December 21 at Yankee Stadium. As for the fourth-place tie, we go to the expected win totals. The Redskins take fourth with 4.4, the Eagles fifth with 4.2, and the Cards finish last with 3.9.

Now to the West:

Baltimore Colts: 10-2 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 8-4 (0)
Los Angeles Rams: 8-4 (0)
Detroit Lions: 6-6 (+2)
San Francisco 49ers: 4-8 (-2)
Green Bay Packers: 2-10 (+1)

The Colts add a game to increase their margin of victory over the Bears and Rams to a pair, while the Lions pick up two to move up into fourth and the Niners drop two to slide down to fifth. The last-place Pack adds a game; they'll be adding a lot more than that starting in 1959 under new head coach Vince Lombardi.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for second, and the Bears take it 7.8 to 7.5.

The Giants shut out the Browns 10-0 to win the Eastern Division title, then met the Colts for the NFL title the following week at Yankee Stadium. This game is still referred to in some circles as the greatest game ever played, and the Colts prevailed 23-17 on Alan Ameche's one-yard overtime plunge. This is the second NFL championship for the Colts that we've covered so far. the other coming in 1968.

Next: A look at 1959.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's look at 1959. We begin in the East:

New York Giants: 9-3 (-1)
Cleveland Browns: 8-4 (+1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-5 (+1)
Philadelphia Eagles: 6-6 (-1)
Chicago Cardinals: 4-8 (+2)
Washington Redskins: 2-10 (-1)

The Giants drop a game, but still prevail by a game over the Browns, who add one. The Steelers also add one to move up to third, while the Eagles' one-game drop shuttles them down to fourth. The Cards add a pair to leapfrog the Redskins, whose one-game drop lands them in the basement.

Now to the West:

Baltimore Colts: 9-3 (0)
Chicago Bears: 8-4 (0)
San Francisco 49ers: 7-5 (0)
Green Bay Packers: 6-6 (-1)
Detroit Lions: 4-8 (+1)
Los Angeles Rams: 4-8 (+2)

All the movement here is at the bottom. The Pack's one-game drop leaves them alone in fourth, while the Lions add one and the Rams add two to create a tie for fifth. The top three are all static, with the Colts taking the crown by a game over the Bears and the Niners finishing two games back in third.

We go to the expected win totals to settle the tie for fifth, and the Rams come out on top, 4.2 to 3.9.

The NFL Championship Game took place on December 27 at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, and the Colts scored twenty-four fourth quarter points to overcome the Giants, 31-16. This is Baltimore's second NFL title in a row and its third overall.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Note: Due to the continuing nature of both my and my father's health problems, there will be no sims until further notice. It's just too much work right now. I don't intend for this thread to remain standings-only forever, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

With that in mind, let's look at 1948 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

Philadelphia Eagles: 11-1 (+2)
Washington Redskins: 6-6 (-1)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 5-7 (+1)
New York Giants: 4-8 (0)
Boston Yanks: 2-10 (-1)

The Eagles romp to their second straight Eastern title by an incredible five games, made more incredible by the fact that each team played only twelve games this year. The Skins take second by a game over the Steelers, who improve by a game to finish third by themselves. The Giants remain where they are and finish fourth, while the Yanks drop a game and recede further into the basement.

Now to the West:

Chicago Bears: 11-1 (+1)
Chicago Cardinals: 10--2 (-1)
Green Bay Packers: 2-10 (-1)
Detroit Lions: 2-10 (0)

We have a title change, as the Bears add a game and their crosstown neighbors the Cards drop one to cause a flip-flop that brings the division crown to the Monsters of the Midway. The third-place Rams add a game to get over .500, and the woeful Packers and Lions end up in a tie for fourth thanks to a one-game drop.

We go the expected win totals to break the tie for fourth, and it goes to the Pack, 2.2 to 1.9.

The NFL Championship Game will take place on December 19, and this time the Bears and Eagles will clash at Shibe Park in Philadelphia.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now let's see the standings for 1949 in the NFL. We begin in the East:

Philadelphia Eagles: 11-1 (0)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 6-6 (0)
New York Giants: 6-6 (0)
Washington Redskins: 4-8 (0)
New York Bulldogs: 1-11 (0)

Literally nothing to discuss here, as for the first time in this thread there's no movement whatsoever. The only thing we need to do is break the tie for second between the Steelers and Giants, which goes to the Black and Gold 6.3 to 5.7.

Now to the West:

Los Angeles Rams: 9-3 (+1)
Chicago Bears: 9-3 (0)
Chicago Cardinals: 7-5 (+1)
Detroit Lions: 5-7 (+1)
Green Bay Packers: 1-11 (-1)

We have a tie atop the division, as the Rams add a game to force a deadlock with the Bears. The third-place Cardinals and fourth-place Lions add a game as well, but the Pack drops a game and sinks further into the basement in legendary coach Curly Lambeau's final season in Green Bay.

We go to the expected win totals to determine home field advantage for the playoff, and the Bears prevail 8.8 to 8.7. This means that the Western Division championship game will be held on December 18 at Wrigley Field. The NFL Championship Game will take place at the home of the Western champion on Monday, December 26.

Next: The standings for 1950.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now it's time for the 1945 Eastern Division championship game. The temperature at game time is 19 degrees, with clear skies and winds out of the west at 29 MPH, which produce a wind chill of zero.

The Redskins scored first on their opening possession. Mindful of the awful weather conditions, the Skins chose to rely on runs and short passes to slowly but surely make their way downfield. The longest plays in the sixteen-play, 80-yard drive were a pair of ten-yard passes from quarterback Sammy Baugh. One went to running back Steve Bagarus, the other to wide receiver Joe Aguirre. Then, on third and goal from the Philly seven, Baugh found halfback Wilbur Moore circling out of the backfield and hit him in stride for the touchdown. Aguirre hit the extra point, and after one quarter, the Skins led the Eagles 7-0.

The Skins added to their lead early in the second quarter after a punt return by Bagarus set up their offense at the Eagle 45. Two plays later, Moore barged through a hole off left tackle and sped into the end zone untouched from 43 yards out. Aguirre added another extra point, and at halftime the Redskins led the Eagles 14-0.

The Skins put the game away early in the fourth quarter. Bagarus again set them up with a punt return to the Philly 45, and running back Joe Akins knifed off left tackle for eighteen yards and a first down to get the Skins into what would today be called the red zone. The score came when Baugh tossed a two-yard touchdown pass to Aguirre, who then added his third extra point of the day to establish the final score: Redskins 21, Eagles 0.

Moore's long touchdown run was enough to earn him the game's unofficial MVP award. He ended the day with 52 yards on eight carries, including the touchdown.

The Skins would lose the NFL Championship Game the next week in Cleveland, as the Rams left town as champions with a 15-14 victory, marking their only title in Cleveland and their second in this timeline so far as a franchise.

Thoughts?

Last edited: