The Pythagorean NFL

game ever.
  • I was going to run a sim for the 1969 AFL Championship Game between the Jets and Chiefs in Kansas City, but for some reason the computer's being persnickety. So, with your kind permission, I'm going to use the result of their real-life divisional playoff game at Shea Stadium, which was that the Chiefs beat the Jets 13-6. They thus moved on to Super Bowl IV the following week in New Orleans, where they handily beat the Vikings 23-7 to give the AFL its second undisputed world championship in its final game ever.

Next: To be determined.

Thoughts?

i
  • A word about the future of this timeline:

It's been a bit of a tough week around here. Not only is it hot enough that therapy is difficult for me, but my dad has just been diagnosed with heart trouble. He's doing well, but physical exertion is a bit much for him at the moment, which means that he can't put the air conditioner in my room, which means that I can't go in there due to excessive heat. (The only window in the room is the one my air conditioner fits in.)

So what does this have to do with the way we like our eggs?

Simply put, sims are much easier to run on the computer in my room. I can struggle through them on the machine I'm using now, but only with a whole lot of swearing and praying that I don't accidentally delete the stupid things before I'm finished writing them up. It's too hot to struggle and swear, so since the chronology of this timeline is ruined anyway, I'm going to take the next few days to cover the pre-merger years where sims don't need to be run. After that, if my dad still isn't up to putting in my air conditioner, I'll do the best I can whenever I get the time and energy. On the days when I have neither, I'll post standings from other years, and this time I promise to do it chronologically if it kills me.

I enjoy doing at least a little bit every day, so unless something unforeseen happens you'll at least get standings from some year or other. I'll catch up on the sims once all of our issues are squared away.

Thanks for reading, and the best is yet to come!

reeee
  • Now it's time for the 1977 AFC Championship Game from the Astrodome in Houston:

The Oilers pounced on an early Oakland mistake to open the scoring. Quarterback Kenny Stabler's pass, intended for Cliff Branch, was picked off by free safety Mike Reinfeldt, who returned the ball to the Oakland 38. On the first play from scrimmage, running back Don Hardeman rumbled up the middle for fifteen yards, and five more were tacked on due to a facemask penalty against linebacker Willie Hall. Rob Carpenter's eleven-yard burst gave the home squad a first and goal at the seven, and from there a third running back, Tim Wilson, took it in for the score. Toni Fritsch made the extra point, and the Oilers went out in front 7-0 with 5:22 left in the opening quarter.

On the very next series, the Oiler linebacking corps victimized The Snake again, as linebacker Ted Washington picked off another pass intended for Branch and returned it thirty-two yards for a touchdown. Fritsch tacked on another extra point, and after one it was 14-0 Houston.

The Oilers added a field goal midway through the second quarter after a pass on a fake punt attempt by future Hall of Famer Ray Guy fell incomplete. They got the ball at the Oakland twenty as a result, and Fritsch hit a thirty-yard field goal to make it 17-0 with 8:06 to go in the half.

The Oilers delivered the knockout punch with a time-consuming touchdown drive that took up most of the rest of the half. Guy's punt pinned them back at their own six, but quarterback Dan Pastorini connected with Billy "White Shoes" Johnson for thirteen yards and a first down. Later in the drive, running back Ronnie Coleman found a huge hole on the right side of the Oakland defense and barged through it for forty-five yards and a first down at the Raiders' two. With just three seconds left in the half, everyone watching thought that coach Bum Phillips would opt to send Fritsch out for a chip shot. Instead, Pastorini handed off to Wilson, who went into the end zone for an uncontested touchdown. Fritsch's extra point made our halftime score Luv Ya Blue 24, Silver and Black 0.

The Raiders came out inspired in the second half and began to cut into their deficit. Neal Colzie's punt return set up the offense at its own 49, and Stabler hit running back Clarence Davis for twelve yards to take the ball across midfield. Running back Mark Van Eeghen's ten-yard dart off the right side got them in range for kicker Errol Mann, who converted a 36-yard field goal attempt to make the score 24-3 Oilers with 6:09 left in the third quarter.

The Raiders scored a touchdown before the end of the third period to cut into the lead further. Stabler and the passing game were the catalysts, as The Snake connected with tight end Dave Casper for gains of sixteen and eleven yards and wide receiver Mike Siani for elven more. The score came from nineteen yards out, as a hookup between Stabler and Branch finally worked as intended thanks to Clifford's dazzling one-handed catch. Mann kicked the extra point, and after three quarters the Raiders had gotten back to within fourteen points at 24-10.

The Oilers put the game away with one more field goal midway through the fourth quarter. Carpenter's ten-yard dart off right tackle started things off, and Pastorini completed passes of fifteen yards to Johnson, seventeen yards to Coleman, and ten yards to wideout Kenny Burrough. Fritsch eventually converted a 22-yard attempt, and our final score was Oilers 27, Raiders 10. It will be an all-Texas Super Bowl two weeks from today at the Superdome, as the Oilers meet the NFC champion Dallas Cowboys. Kickoff time is 6PM Eastern on CBS, with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier calling the action. Paul Hornung and Nick Buoniconti will serve as the sideline reporters.

Coleman was named Player of the Game by NBC after gaining 97 yards on only fifteen carries.

Super Bowl XII will be simmed at a later date.

Next: The standings for 1978.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    P
  • Now a look at the NFC in 1980, beginning in the East:

Philadelphia Eagles: 13-3 (+1)
    Dallas Cowboys: 11-5 (-1)
    Washington Redskins: 7-9 (+1)
    St. Louis Cardinals: 7-9 (+2)
    New York Giants: 4-12 (0)

The Eagles (one-game improvement) take the East by a pair over the Boys (one-game drop), while the defending NFC champion Skins have to pick up a game just to salvage a tie for third with the Cardinals, who improve by a pair under new coach Jim Hanifan. The Giants remain stuck in the basement.

The Redskins hold the expected wins tiebreaker over the Cardinals for third place, 6.9 to 6.5.

Now, the Central:

Detroit Lions: 10-6 (+2)
    Chicago Bears: 9-7 (+2)
    Minnesota Vikings: 8-8 (-1)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6-10 (+1)
    Green Bay Packers: 4-12 (-1)

There's a major shakeup at the top, as the Vikes drop one while the Lions and Bears each improve by a pair. This means that the Lions ride a phenomenal rookie season by Billy Sims all the way to the Central crown, the Bears finish a strong second, and the Vikes slump to a disappointing third. The Bucs' tie against the Packers at home becomes a win for them, while the Pack drops that one plus another one and remains in last place.

Finally, the West:

Atlanta Falcons: 12-4 (0)
    Los Angeles Rams: 11-5 (0)
    San Francisco 49ers: 6-10 (0)
    New Orleans Saints: 4-12 (+3)

The only movement comes from the Saints, who ain't quite as ain't after a three-game bump. Everyone else remains the same in both position and record.

Seeds:

1. Eagles (NFC East champs): 13-3
    2. Falcons (NFC West champs): 12-4
    3. Lions (NFC Central champs): 10-6
    4. Rams (NFC West second place): 11-5
    5. Cowboys (NFC East second place): 11-5

Both the Rams and Cowboys have 11.4 expected wins, but the Rams hold the tiebreaker for the first wild card because they beat the Cowboys head-to-head.

Home field advantage didn't help the Rams in the Wild Card Game on December 28, as the Boys rushed for 338 yards and gained a total of 528 yards on the way to a 34-13 blowout. Their next stop was Fulton County Stadium on January 4, where Danny White hit Drew Pearson with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdown passes to fuel a 30-27 comeback win and earn themselves a trip to the NFC Championship Game. They'll meet the winner of the other NFC Divisional Playoff on Saturday, January 3 between the Lions and the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. Kickoff time is 12:30 Eastern on CBS, with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier calling the action.

Next: The Lions battle the Eagles.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    ive
  • Now it's time for the first 1984 NFC Divisional Playoff from Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Game time temperature is 41 degrees, with cloudy skies and a southeast wind at 6 MPH.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Niners hit the board first midway through the second. Linebacker Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds knocked the ball loose from Ottis Anderson, and defensive end Dwaine Board recovered for Frisco at the Cardinals' forty-three. Running back Wendell Tyler popped off left tackle for seventeen yards to get the offense in field goal range for kicker Ray Wersching, who converted a twenty-six yard field goal attempt to give the home squad a 3-0 lead with 5:51 to play in the first half.

The Cardinals answered with a touchdown on their ensuing possession. Stump Mitchell's kickoff return set them up at their own forty-eight, and Neil Lomax found Roy Green for nineteen yards and a first down in Niner territory. Later in the drive, fullback Earl Ferrell's twenty-one yard catch-and-run gave the Cards a first and goal at the two. A sack cost them five yards, but Lomax rebounded to connect with Green for the touchdown from seven yards out. Neil O'Donoghue added the extra point, and the seventeen-point underdogs had a 7-3 lead with 1:48 left until halftime.

The Niners cut into the St. Louis lead with a field goal on the final play of the first half. Quarterback Joe Montana conducted a flawless two-minute drill, hitting tight end Earl Cooper for fifteen yards, running back Roger Craig for ten, and wide receiver Freddie Solomon for eleven. Tyler added a twelve-yard run up the middle, and the Niners were back in Wersching's range. Ray eventually hit from twenty-one yards out on the final play of the first half to cut the Cardinals' halftime lead to 7-6.

The Niners took the lead with a touchdown midway through the third quarter. Craig blasted through a huge hole in the middle of the Cardinals' defense for twenty-three yards and a first down, and Montana had all day to find wide receiver and Olympic sprinter Renaldo Nehemiah for twenty-four yards and another. One play after that, Tyler scored the go-ahead touchdown by knifing off the left side and into the end zone untouched from eighteen yards out. Wersching added the extra point, and the Niners took a 13-7 lead with 7:29 left in the third quarter.

After the defense forced a three-and-out, the special teams gave the Niners outstanding field position when Dana McLemore returned Carl Birdsong's punt all the way to the St. Louis thirty-seven. Montana went up top on the very first play from scrimmage, and Dwight Clark made an outstanding catch at the four-yard line with two Cardinal defenders draped on his back. Tyler pounded up the middle for the score from three yards out a play later, and Wersching's extra point extended the Niners' lead to 20-7 after three quarters.

The Niners added another touchdown midway through the final period. Montana's biggest contribution was a twelve-yard pass to Solomon for a first down, and the running game unearthed a huge surprise when Derrick Harmon, best known as a kick returner, tore through the middle of the tiring Cardinal defense for thirty-four yards. Craig provided the touchdown on a draw play from ten yards out, and Wersching added the extra point to give the Niners a 27-7 advantage with exactly nine minutes left in regulation.

The Niners added one last touchdown on their next possession. Tyler set things up with a sixteen-yard bolt up the middle. Then, he put the Cardinals away. Here's Pat Summerall:

"First and ten at the San Francisco thirty-seven. Tyler still in there, and he gets it......forty-five, fifty, and he's loose!.....Over the forty, the thirty-five, the thirty, and the only man he has left to beat is the back judge!...…….Sixty-three yards for his third touchdown of the day! A career day for Wendell Tyler, and this one's in the books!"

John Madden: "The Cardinals' defense is exhausted, Pat. Tyler's been pounding at them for the entire second half, and they just don't have it in them to stop him anymore. What a day for a guy who was mostly known for his fumbling problems with the Rams. He's finally shown a national television audience just how good he really is."

Wersching added the extra point, and with 6:41 still left in the fourth, the Niners led 34-7.

The Cardinals saved a smidgen of their pride by executing a field goal drive against a defense comprised mostly of backups. Mitchell contributed an eleven-yard gain on a draw play, and Lomax found tight end Doug Marsh over the middle for eleven yards, then threw a short pass to Green, whose speed turned it into a thirty-eight yard gain. The drive died at the Niners' fourteen, but O'Donoghue's thirty-one yard field goal established our final score: Niners 34, Cardinals 10. The Niners will host either the Bears or the Redskins in next Sunday's NFC Championship Game here at Candlestick. Kickoff is at 4PM Easten on CBS, with Messrs. Summerall and Madden once again on the call.

Unsurprisingly, Tyler was named Player of the Game by CBS. He finished with 161 yards on nineteen carries and three touchdowns. The Niners as a team finished with 255 yards rushing with four touchdowns for the day. Montana was accurate but unspectacular, completing thirteen of seventeen for 159 yards. Lomax actually outplayed him despite a subpar day; he was twelve of twenty-eight for 213 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Green led all receivers with three catches for sixty-for yards and a touchdown. On defense, the Niners held Anderson to fifty-two yards on seventeen carries and sacked Lomax seven times; Board and reserve linebacker Milt McColl each had a pair. The Cards dumped Montana four times, with defensive end Curtis Greer notching a pair.

The next day at RFK Stadium, the Bears got a hundred and four yards rushing and a touchdown pass from Walter Payton and two more touchdown throws from backup quarterback Steve Fuller on their way to a 23-19 win over the Redskins. The Niners were waiting the following week at Candlestick, and Fuller only managed eighty-seven yards through the air and was sacked eight times, while Montana threw for 233 yards and one score and Tyler added another touchdown on the ground as the Niners rolled, 23-0. They rolled in Super Bowl XIX as well; Montana finished twenty-four of thirty-five for 331 yards and three touchdowns through the air and added fifty-nine more yards and a touchdown on the ground. Meanwhile, the Dolphins managed just twenty-eight yards on the ground and Danny Marino was sacked four times as the Niners won in a cakewalk, 38-16 to claim their second Super Bowl as a franchise at Candlestick in front of a jubilant crowd.

The Niners' victory has tied the all-time Super Bowl victory race at ten wins for each conference.

Next: We look at the standings for 1985.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Thanks for telling me about Cunningham's injury. I'll have to look out for that if the Eagles make the playoffs. By the way, I wasn't as far off as I thought on Schroeder and Williams; Schroeder actually replaced Williams for a few plays in Super Bowl XXII when Williams started slowly.

I was as shocked as anyone by the AFC results in '90. The real-life Steelers showed flashes here and there toward the end of the year, but not nearly enough to beat the Oilers and Bills on the road in postseason games, let alone beat the Bills by three touchdowns with a quarterback who barely knew where and who he was. Results like these are why most what-if articles in newspapers or magazines that use sims run a hundred or a thousand instead of just one like I do. On the other hand, upsets come out of nowhere in real life all the time, so why should the Pythagorean universe be any different?

Marino's chances for a ring in '90 depend on who comes out of the NFC. The Giants barely beat the Bills, so the Fins may have an easier time with them. Than again, maybe not!

The Skins' best chance to get out of the NFC is if the Bears beat the Vikings in the Wild Card Game. If that happens, they'll go to New Jersey to face the Giants in the divisional round. If the Vikes win, the Skins are headed for San Francisco, which is an automatic loss since the Niners beat them in the real-life playoffs.

Note to self: Start Hostetler instead of Simms in Super Bowl XXV!

Last edited:
    d the extra
  • Now it's time for the second 1997 NFC Wild Card Game from the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan:

The Redskins scored first after taking the opening kickoff. Running back Stephen Davis popped off left tackle for eleven yards, and the play earned five more yards thanks to a facemask call against the Lions. Gus Frerotte's twenty-seven yard pass to backup wide receiver Albert Connell gave the Skins a first down at the Detroit twenty-two, and one play later Davis took it to the house with a twenty-one yard catch-and-run off of a screen pass. Scott Blanton added the extra point, and after one quarter the visitors had a 7-0 lead.

The Lions evened things up midway through quarter number two. Scott Mitchell hit Johnnie Morton for fifteen yards and Herman Moore for nineteen, and from the Skins twenty-one backup running back Ron Rivers found a hole in the middle of the Washinton defense and galloped through it and into the end zone for the score. Jason Hanson's extra point meant that we were tied at seven at the half.

The Skins took the lead with a third-quarter touchdown. Bryan Mitchell's punt return set up the offense at the Lions' forty-two, and the drive's big play was a thirty-two yard catch-and-run by reserve wide receiver Leslie Shepherd. The touchdown came from twelve yards out, when Frerotte found veteran receiver Henry Ellard for the score. Blanton added the extra point, and after three quarters it was Skins 14, Lions 7.

The visitors added a field goal early in the final period. Frerotte and Shepherd hooked up again for twenty-two yards, and the running game contributed gains of twelve yards off the right side by Davis and twenty yards, again off the right side, by Terry Allen. The drive stalled at the Detroit twenty-two, but Blanton was good from thirty-nine yards out to increase the Skins lead to 17-7 with a little over ten and a half minutes remaining.

The Skins added another field goal o their next possession, thanks in large part to Davis' thirty-three yard gain on a draw play that gave the Skins a first down at the Lions' twenty-four. Blanton connected from forty-four yards out three plays later, and with just under eight minutes left the Skins led 20-7.

The Skins added one last touchdown just prior to the two-minute warning, thanks to three key passes from Frerotte: a sixteen-yarder to Shepherd, a seventeen-yarder to Connell, and a sixteen-yarder to tight end Jamie Asher that gave them a first and goal at the Detroit six-inch line. Allen took it in on the next play, and the Skins had wrapped up a thoroughly dominant 27-7 victory.

Davis and Allen shared the front of the Maddencruiser as Fox's MVPs. Davis gained seventy-six yards on ten carries,while Allen added sixty-thee more on twenty carries plus a touchdown. Davis also caught a touchdown pass. Frerotte finished sixteen of twenty-two for 196 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and Shepherd led the receivers with seventy yards on three catches. Connell caught two passes for forty-four yards.

Mitchell had another subpar playoff game for the Lions, finishing twelve of twenty-one for 111 yards and an interception. Moore was his leading receiver with forty-eight yards on five catches, while Morton caught three balls for forty-one yards. The biggest accomplishment for the Skins' defense was stopping Barry Sanders, at least for the most part; he was held to sixty-eight yards on nineteen carries.

The Skins' next stop will be Lambeau Field, where they'll take on the Packers next Sunday in the second NFC Divisional Playoff. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:30 PM Eastern on Fox, and Pat and John will once again call the action. Ron Pitts will join them as sideline reporter.

Next: To be determined.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    j
  • Now it's time for the third 2021 NFC Wild Card Game from Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Game time temperature is 27 degrees, with cloudy skies and a west wind at 8 MPH.

The first quarter was scoreless. The Cardinals took the ball after a punt on the first play of the second quarter and drove into field goal range. The key play of the drive was quarterback Kyler Murray's fifteen-yard pass to wide receiver Christian Kirk that gave the Cards a first and goal at the Packers' ten-yard line. The next three plays lost a yard, but kicker Matt Prater booted a twenty-eight-yard field goal that gave the Cards a 3-0 lead with 12:19 left in the second quarter.

The Packers countered with a touchdown. The key plays of the drive were a twelve-yard run up the middle on a draw by running back A.J. Dillon and a pair of Aaron Rodgers passes: a fourteen-yarder to side receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling and a sixteen-yarder to fellow wideout Davante Adams. The touchdown came on a trick play, as the Pack ran the end around from the three-yard line. Wide receiver Allen Lazard took the handoff and walked into the end zone untouched. Kicker Mason Crosby added the extra point, and the Packers led 7-3 with just under seven minutes left in the first half.

The Cardinals answered with a touchdown of their own. Running back James Conner picked up fourteen yards on a draw play, and Murray found wide receiver A.J. Green down the right sideline for twenty-nine yards and a first down at the Green Bay twenty. The touchdown came on third and one from the eleven, as Conner took the handoff on a draw play and charged through a wide-open hole and into the end zone for the touchdown. With 2:04 left in the first half, the Cardinals led 10-7.

There was enough time left in the half for the Packers to attempt a tying field goal. Dillon gained eleven yards up the middle on a draw, and Rodgers connected with Adams on consecutive passes for gains of nineteen and twenty-three. The drive eventually stalled at the Arizona twenty, but Crosby's thirty-seven-yard field goal attempt split the uprights, and halftime came with the Cardinals and Packers tied at ten.

The Pack took the lead with another field goal on the opening possession of the second half. Running back Aaron Jones gained twenty yards with a draw on the first play from scrimmage, and Dillon gained thirteen more with the same play later in the drive. Another Green Bay running back, Kylin Hill picked up nineteen on a sweep around left end. The drive eventually stalled at the Arizona twelve, but Crosby converted a twenty-nine-yard attempt to put the Pack up 13-10 with 8:35 left in the third quarter.

The Cardinals took the lead with a touchdown just before the end of the quarter. Conner gained seventeen yards on a draw play, and Murray ducked out of a potential sack and picked up seventeen more before he was pushed out of bounds. Murray also showed off his arm, hitting wide receiver A.J, Green over the middle for twenty-six yards and a first down at the Packers' twelve-yard line. On second and nine from the eleven, Murray found tight end Zach Ertz in the corner of the end zone for the touchdown. Prater added the extra point, and at the end of three quarters the Cardinals led 17-13.

The Packers got back to within one point early in the final quarter when Crosby kicked his third field goal of the night from twenty-two yards out to cut the Arizona lead to 17-16. The biggest play of the drive came when the Green and Gold faced a second and nine at the Arizona forty-one. Here's how Brent Musburger called it:

"Packers need to make some hay here, as we're down under the twelve-minute mark. Rodgers in an empty set, goes full shotgun, and here comes the rush....gets away from (J,J,) Watt, fires downfield.......CAUGHT ON THE RUN! LAZARD AT THE FIFTEEN, TEN, FIVE, AND HE STEPS OUT BETWEEN THE ONE AND THE TWO......They'll give him the one-yard line! First and goal, Packers!"

The Packers took the lead midway through the fourth quarter. Rodgers' sixteen-yard pass to Adams gave them a first down at their own forty-five, and that's where we rejoin Brent:

"Under eight minutes left for the Packers, who trail by one, 17-16. A.J, Dillon's the lone setback behind Rodgers, with four receivers in the pattern. and he'll get the call.....HOLE UP THHE MIDDLE, AND THERE HE GOES INTO ARIZONA TERRITORY! Forty, thirty-five, thirty, ONLY ONE MAN LEFT TO BEAT.....HE'S GONE! TOUCHDOWN, PACKERS! NOW A LAMBEAU LEAP! GREEN BAY HAS THE LEAD!"

Rex Ryan: "The Cardinals had to play pass, Brent, and the Packers knew it. There's the handoff, and Dillon's eyes must have lit up when he saw that hole. You don't even see a Cardinals defender until well past the Arizona forty, and the only one who has even a remote shot at catching Dillon is (cornerback) Byron Murphy. One last burst at about the ten-yard line takes care of that, and even after such a long run, Dillon has the energy to top things off with a picture-perfect Lambeau Leap."

Since his offense had been stopped inside the Arizona five-yard line earlier in the quarter, Packers coach Matt LaFleur decided to kick the extra point instead of going for two, and Crosby converted to put the home squad up 23-17 with 7;34 left in regulation.

The Cardinals began what turned out to be their game-winning drive with less than four and a half minutes left. A seventeen-yard catch-and-run by Conner got the ball to the Green Bay forty-six at the two-minute warning. We pick up the action coming out of the break:

Musburger: "Each team with one timeout left. Cardinals with a first down at the Green Bay forty-six, and they go empty set. Watch Murray, though; he'll take off any time he sees an opening, Snap back to him, he's looking, looking, moving, moving, throws downfield on the run........CAUGHT! KIRK AT THE TWENTY, KIRK AT THE FIFTEEN, AND BROUGHT DOWN AT THE TWELVE AFTER A GAIN OF THIRTY-FOUR! WHAT A PLAY BY KYLER MURRAY AND CHRISTIAN KIRK!"

Conner took care of business from there. Here's Brent:

"First and ten from the twelve, and we'll see if Green Bay decides to let the Cardinals score if they can to preserve some time for Rodgers. Even if Arizona takes it all the way down before this snap, which they're doing, and takes it in, Rodgers would have about thirty-three or thirty-four seconds left. Play clock down to five, four, three, two, Murray gets it off, handoff to Conner, and they're practically escorting him into the end zone for the touchdown.......! (Cardinals coach) Kliff Kingsbury meets Conner coming of and pats him on the back; the Cardinals had to take the lead when they had the chance, and now they have to stop Aaron Rodgers. Thirty-four seconds on the clock, one timeout for Green Bay."

Ryan: "I agree with the strategy, Brent, Both sides handled this well. The only problem for Green Bay is that thirty-four seconds may not be enough, even with Aaron Rodgers and a timeout,"

It wasn't; Rodgers threw three incomplete Hai Marys, and the Cardinals had wrapped up a 24-23 upset win.

Conner was named Player of the Game by ESPN, He led the Big Red in rushing with seventy-six yards on fourteen carries and scored two touchdowns, and it was his catch-and-run (his only reception of the night) jumpstarted the game-winning drive, Murray finished thirteen of twenty-three for 226 yards and a touchdown, and he also carried six times for twenty-nine yards. Green was the leading Arizona receiver with 103 yards on just four catches. and Kirk added three catches for sixty-one yards. Linebacker Isaiah Simmons led the defense with nine solo tackles, and middle linebacker Jordan Hicks had eight solo tackles and sacked Rodgers twice. The Cardinals as a team sacked Rodgers four times. They also played a penalty-free game.

Like Murray, Rodgers completed thirteen of his twenty-three passes, but he only threw for 215 yards, Adams led all receivers with eight catches for 115 yards, and Lazard finished with seventy-one yards on just two catches. Dillon led all rushers with ninety-eight yards on twelve carries with a touchdown, and Jones added seventy yards on thirteen carries. The Packers as a team rushed for 210 yards on thirty-six attempts, an average of 5.8 yards a carry.

The Cardinals have just five days to get ready for their next game, which is a Divisional Playoff date with the top-seeded Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. Kickiff is scheduled for Saturday (January 22) at 8:15 PM Eastern on Fox. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman will call the action, with Erin Andrews and Tom Rinaldi acting as sideline reporters.

Next: The Cowboys host the Cardinals.

Thoughts?

Last edited: