Nah, in that scenario Democrats likely will do what they always do when they lose elections - blame the left for not falling in line.
An argument not wholly without merit if you’re talking about 2000 and 2016.

In any case, loving the TL! The combined elements of sleaze, media shenanigans, and it’s effect on one of the most interesting elections ever are just delicious to read about.

Also consider this my hot take: Trump will perform extremely well in 2000, Bush will still win and McCain will run on the Reform Party ticket after going Independent in 2002, having a real shot at winning

I do think JFK, Jr. will at least be skeptical or cautious about jumping into the second Iraq War in TTL...

And I wonder what his reaction will be to 9/11...

dcharles

Banned
Also consider this my hot take: Trump will perform extremely well in 2000, Bush will still win and McCain will run on the Reform Party ticket after going Independent in 2002, having a real shot at winning

A very good guess.

Wrong, but a really, really, good one nonetheless.

:-D

Part 7-- Law and Order: Miami Vice

dcharles

Banned
Kennedy Curse Part 7.jpg

“All of you are going to have to get over it. I’m not–I’m not taking any questions right now. I’ve got a prepared statement here, so I will brief you all on the facts as we know them at this point in time. Yesterday evening, at approximately 11pm, in accordance with Attorney General Reno’s announcement on Friday, agents of the Immigration and Naturalization Service attempted to extract the minor child, Elian Gonzalez, from the residence of his uncle, Lazaro Gonzalez. As part of the extraction team, two armored personnel carriers carrying a Border Patrol Tactical team were sent for the purposes of crowd control and personnel transport. The armored personnel carriers were in the advance position in the extraction column, followed by several conventional vehicles and two civilian vehicles, white, late model Chrysler minivans. The minivans were there for the purposes of transporting the boy, Elian Gonzales, and any members of the extended family who may have wished to come. Upon arrival at the Gonzalez residence, the extraction team encountered a group of protesters that was substantially larger than our intelligence suggested or that we anticipated. Our intelligence, which was fresh, and given to us by reliable sources, suggested a crowd of no more than one hundred persons. When the extraction team arrived, at least five hundred persons were surrounding the house and blocking our way. As the extraction team attempted to secure a path to the residence, the crowd, many of whom appeared to be intoxicated, continued to grow, and became more aggressive in their efforts to block the extraction team. The APCs and our agents were pelted with dangerous debris, including stones and glass bottles. As one of our agents attempted to exit one of the APCs, one individual, Wilfredo Flores, became very confrontational and attempted to grab the weapon of the agent in question. In an attempt to ensure the safety of both the civilians in the crowd and our agents, the agent in question was forced to fire upon Mr. Flores, which did, in fact, result in his death. At that point, seeing that the BORTAC unit was greatly outnumbered, and in an attempt to prevent further loss of life or injury, the Special Agent in charge of the operation made the decision to abort. The other two deaths were unrelated to the actions of our agents. One of the decedents, an elderly woman, died of an apparent cardiac arrest. The other decedent appears to have been trampled by the mob itself…”

—--Robert Wallis, Miami District Director of the INS, speaking at a press conference the morning of Sunday, April 9th, 2000.

“Bullshit. If Ricardo was trampled, how come there was tire tracks on his shirt?”

—--Adoncia Alvarez-Ortiz, widow of Ricardo Alvarez-Ortiz, April 10th, 2000.

“But for all the folks talking about lawlessness, talking about mob rule, you’ve gotta ask yourselves, where would this crowd have been in 1775? Which side would they have been on then? Because it’s a patriot’s duty to resist tyranny, and I don’t know how much more tyrannical you can get than sending a bunch of jackbooted thugs–and that’s what Reno’s goons are, people–into a quiet residential neighborhood to kidnap a little boy and pack him off to Castro’s Cuba! The whole operation stinks! You’ve got the Justice Department claiming that Mr. Alvarez was trampled, but every witness on the scene says that he was run over like a dog in the street.

And now–now–we’ve got the memo! We don’t know the identity of the leaker yet, but we now know, for a fact, that Juan-Miguel Gonzalez applied for a visa. A lottery visa. Which is proof positive, dear listeners, that the father is now being coerced! Of course, I don’t have to tell most of you that. Most of my listeners have the good sense to know that Castro’s–let me repeat–that CASTRO'S not on the level! But if any of you, out there in America, if any of you had any doubts in your heart—it’s time to open your eyes!”

—--Rush Limbaugh, April 12th, 2000.
Waco Miami.jpg

"Russert: General Reno, suffice it to say, it’s been a tumultuous week. Last Saturday, we had the aborted raid–

Reno: Extraction operation.

Russert: –to secure Elian Gonzalez. On Monday, we had the leak of the Meissner memo. Every day since, we’ve seen huge demonstrations and widespread, if intermittent, rioting in Miami. On Friday, Doris Meissner, head of the INS, resigned, something that many on the right were calling for. The head of the Miami District Office of the INS, Robert Wallis, also resigned, and there have been calls for your resignation as well. We’ve seen attacks on federal property in the Miami area, and to top it all off, Elian Gonzalez is still in the custody of his Miami relatives. What’s the next move?

Reno: Right now, we’re doing everything we can to reunite Juan-Miguel Gonzalez, at least for the purposes of visitation, with Elian. He’s been in the country for ten days at this point, and he’s been separated from his son for almost five months now. That’s our highest priority.

Russert: Then why hasn’t there been another attempt to extract him?

Reno: We want to reunite them safely. With the unrest in the city right now, we don’t believe that would be the wisest option in terms of safety.

Russert: Well, if safety is the priority, why send in the SWAT team at all?

Reno: At the time that decision was made, we felt that we had reached an impasse with the family, and the extraction operation was the quickest and safest way to resolve it. We still believe, had news of the operation not been leaked to elements of the Exile community, that would have been the case.

Russert: And do you know the identity of the leaker? When this is coupled with the leaking of the Meissner memo, it seems like you've got a serious problem with leaks at the DO--

Reno: We’re conducting a full investigation as we speak, Tim. I can’t give details on an ongoing investigation.

Russert: --at the DOJ. You cited the civil unrest as the reason that there hasn’t been another attempt to extract Elian. There have been reports that the Miami police have turned a blind eye to some of the attacks on Federal property–is the Department of Justice, or the Federal Government more broadly, going to do anything to restore law and order to the city of Miami?

Reno: All options are on the table at the moment.

Russert: Does that include federalizing the National Guard?

Reno: Well right now, this is still a state matter. We’ve been in contact with Governor Bush, and as of yet, he hasn’t made the decision to send in the National Guard.

Russert: But President Clinton can go over his head and federalize the National Guard–

Reno: And right now, he’s given the latitude to the Governor of Florida, Governor Bush, to make that call, as to whether to deploy the Guard. I can’t speculate as to how much longer the President is going to let Governor Bush continue to have that latitude, but for now that's the situation.

Russert: Moving on to the Meissner memo. In that document, which is a summary of a conference call between INS employees, including Meissner, written by INS attorney Rebecca Sanchez-Roig, we apparently have the INS discussing the Elian situation back in December. It says here--and let me quote--'it appears that the father had made application (potentially lottery) to depart Cuba,' intimating, of course, that Juan-Miguel is now being coerced into saying that he wants to stay in Cuba. Now, I'm going to put a graphic of the memo up on screen here--you can see in the corner there that someone has handwritten on the typed memo that the document should be destroyed. Before her resignation, but after the leak of the memo, Director Meissner said that INS could find no record of a visa application from Juan-Miguel Gonzalez. Many in the Republican Party are calling this evidence of a cover up. What say you, General Reno?"

-----Tim Russert and Janet Reno, Sunday, April 16th, on Meet the Press

Robert Wallis KC P7.jpg

Robert Wallis, April 14th, 2000 immediately after resignation.

Roberts: ...and later, for our roundtable dicussion, EJ Dionne, Mary Matalin, and George Will, join Sam and I to discuss the entrance of talk-radio firebrand Bob Grant into the New Jersey Senate race--on the Reform Party ticket--and the ongoing unrest in Miami. But first, Miami Mayor Joe Carollo joins us live from Miami this morning.
Mayor Carollo, good to have you with us.

Carollo: Good to be here, Cokie.

Roberts: Mayor Carollo, we've received numerous disturbing reports that the Miami Police Department has been, in essence, turning a blind eye to the destruction of Federal property by predominantly Cuban-American rioters in the city of Miami.

Carollo: False. Totally false. And I have to correct you there, Cokie. It's not Cubans rioting in Miami, and I wouldn't even call it riots--

Roberts: You haven't? What do you call it?

Carollo: We've had demonstrations! And these demonstrations have been overwhelmingly peaceful, Cokie. There has been some looting, opportunistic looting, where the police have been stretched so thin attending to the demonstrations. And not in Cuban neighborhoods, either. You're seeing this looting in all the usual places. Liberty City, Little Haiti...and we wouldn't even be having these demonstrations if it wasn't for the actions of Clinton and Reno. And, listen, I'm going to tell you--at risk to myself, because there have been threats--what we've really got here, the problem in Miami, we've got an out of control federal law enforcement, killing loyal, freedom-loving citizens in our streets.

Roberts: Threats, Mayor Carollo?

Carollo: Absolutely. It's a disgrace. And down here in Miami, we've practically been abandoned by the media and by the national politicians. Everyone's talking about law and order in Miami. But it's not the people of Miami who are killing federal agents--

Roberts: Now, according to former Director Wallis and the Department of Justice--

Carollo: --BUT FEDERAL AGENTS WHO ARE KILLING US! You want to start with law and order, you start in Washington DC, with Reno and Clinton! The Gangsters-in-Chief!

Roberts: Mayor Carollo, Mayor Carollo. Please. Ah, prior to the raid last Sunday, you and Mayor Penelas--for our viewers who are unfamiliar, Penelas is Mayor of Miami-Dade County, you're the Mayor of the City of Miami--you both vowed that you would not aid federal efforts to secure Elian Gonzalez. Some are saying that decision directly led to the tragic situation and loss of life that we all witnessed. If there is another attempt, another raid, would you reconsider your stance with respect to allowing the Miami police to assist federal law enforcement?

Carollo: I'm going to have to correct you again, Cokie, because the INS never advised us that they were going to try and seize Elian.

Roberts:
But you had already publicly vowed that you wouldn't allow the Miami PD to assist them in any way--

Carollo: Please. If they had valued the lives of our community, they would have reached out to my office. Even if I would not assist them, I could still take steps to make our community safe.

Roberts: You say you feel abandoned by the national politicians. But up until this past week, most of the national Republican Party has been very supportive of the position of the Cuban-American community here.

Carollo: And when things got tough--in Spanish, we have an expression: amigos de conveniencia. Friends of convenience. When it was convenient for them, when they needed our votes, they were very supportive. But now the primaries are over, and where are they? The only national politician who has stood by us, even when there wasn't a primary? Donald Trump! And he's not even a Republican!"

Cokie Roberts and Mayor Joe Carollo, Sunday, April 16th, on This Week With Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts

Miami was burning, the Republican Party was locked in the longest, most bitter primary battle since 1976, and a third party candidate was polling within striking distance of the major party candidates. And with all that, John Kennedy, the hottest magazine publisher in the country, was struggling to get a decent cover story for June.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way.

He’d had a sit down with McCain planned since just after Super Tuesday–when McCain won California, New York, and the rest of New England–and turned this thing into a real race. Way back then, they’d agreed to a date in mid-April. For reasons the RNC had no doubt come to regret, they had scheduled a month-long break in the primary calendar. Between the Pennsylvania and Wisconsin primaries on April 4th and a trio of primaries–Indiana, North Carolina, and DC–on May 2nd, no contests, conventions, or caucuses took place. During what was some of the best campaigning weather in the country, the only thing to occupy the candidates was the hot air they blew at one another and the slow avalanche of bad luck and trouble that was the Elian Gonzalez saga. It was a recipe for turning an already contentious primary into a blood feud.

For now, McCain was ahead in the delegate count by three or four whiskers. How long that would last was anyone’s guess. Of the fifteen nominating contests scheduled between May 2nd and June 6th, McCain was favored to win exactly one–the DC primary–with its fifteen delegates. The polling showed McCain as competitive in Indiana, and though Kennedy hadn’t seen any polling out of Jersey, it seemed like a state where McCain might do well. Aside from that, the month of May was the Heart of Darkness for the Straight Talk Express. States like Arkansas, Kansas, and Kentucky dominated the calendar; places where McCain’s rebuke of the Religious Right was unlikely to win him many friends among the voters, or influence among the people who told the voters how to vote. There was a chance–becoming more and more likely with each passing day–that McCain would end the primary season as the Republican candidate with the most votes but not the most delegates. Deep in the dogfight with Bush for the hearts and minds of Middle America, McCain had decided that a George cover would do him more harm than good at the moment.

Rep Primary Map, April.png

“I’m going to have to put you off, John,” McCain had said to Kennedy, after he’d already ducked him for three rounds of phone tag.
Even when the guy was flip-flopping, he was a straight talker. “I’ll get square with you after June. It’s the best I can do. George is too hot right now–the goddamn Looney Tunes contingent is still up in arms about the Castro interview, for Christ’s sake, you know how many Cubans there are in New Jersey?”

Kennedy leaned forward at his desk, massaging his eyeballs, trying to keep the tension out of his voice. “You’re not putting me in a good position here. We’ve had this lined up for a month. The Castro interview was already out when you agreed to do it.”

“Well that was before Miami had turned into the goddamned state of nature, wasn’t it?” said McCain. “Things change.”

After the night of the failed raid, whole sections of Miami had descended into violence and chaos, first as demonstrations, then as riots. They were the largest civil disturbances in America since the LA Riots back in ‘92. More than one Post Office had been firebombed, and several windows had been shot out of the Federal Building on Brickell–a section of the city that was somewhat adjacent to Little Havana. “I’ve got a magazine to put out. The interview’s a regular feature. I’m supposed to get an in-depth lined up and ready to go in what, a week? Two weeks?”

“Well I’ve got a fucking nomination to secure! This is the presidency we’re talking about. Get some fucking perspective.”

That was rich. Kennedy made a noise that was somewhere between a sigh, a groan, and a growl. “Listen, give me a date. When do you want to reschedule?”

“We can always do it in August,” said McCain, a sly smile coming through his voice on the telephone line.

“So it runs after the convention? Gimme a break. The last primary’s on the 6th. That’s a Tuesday. How about that Friday?”

McCain agreed and they said their goodbyes. Once he heard the line go click on McCain’s end, he slammed the receiver down in the outburst of private, petulant rage that had been building for the entire conversation. In the process, he managed to–somehow–tweak his neck, and a spasm of pain froze him in asymmetrical lurch. It was always like this. Even in the moments when his mind had wandered from the crash, his body missed no opportunity to make him remember.

Luckily, he had a bottle half full of Oxycontin in his desk drawer.

He popped a few back and tried to figure out what he was going to do while he waited for the pain to dull.

There were three people who might end up as President in November–Gore, Bush, or McCain. (Although, if you wanted to be generous and throw Trump in the mix, Kennedy supposed that there was an outside chance that there might be four.) McCain had already backed out of his interview, and if he thought George was too controversial for the base, then that probably went double for Bush. As far as Gore went, it seemed vaguely disrespectful to ask the sitting Vice President to understudy for McCain on short notice. McCain might not even get the nomination, after all. Gore already had the nomination of his party sewn up.

Plus, Gore wasn’t even good copy.

His policy platform was so unambitious that his slogan might as well have been Gore 2000: Nothing to See Here, Folks. And while the same thing could have probably been said about Clinton, at least Clinton’s personality and proneness to scandal were engaging enough to make you forget about it. Gore was best known for having a wife who slapped warning labels on rock records. He seemed to be striving mightily to be the Democratic Party’s answer to Bob Dole; the living embodiment of the word “staid.”

There was a reason why, even in the two-way polls, that Gore’s numbers liked to hang out in the high thirties, and it wasn’t because of a huge contingent of undecideds. If a man was trying to sell magazines– and John Kennedy was trying to sell magazines–there were few ways to make it harder on himself than to slap Al Gore’s face on the cover.

That left Trump as a possible substitute, but Kennedy knew Trump and he didn’t take him or his run particularly seriously. There wasn’t much there there, and what was there, Kennedy didn’t particularly like. Everything was a pissing contest with Donald, even when no one was contesting anything. About a year ago, he’d found himself sitting next to Trump at a Knicks game–one of the many times in his life he’d inadvertently found himself in the same room as the man who Graydon Carter, now a colleague at Conde Nast, had memorably referred to as a “short-fingered vulgarian.” All night, Trump had tried to make bets with him about which one of them could pick up the most cheerleaders–despite the fact that John was married and trying to politely ignore him the whole time.

But even if John had wanted to politely ignore Trump’s run for office, Donald was going to make it difficult–just as he had at the Knicks game. These days, Trump was polling in the twenties, well on track to match Perot’s numbers from ‘92. Add to that the fact that Trump seemed to have a savant-like quality to say things that were both controversial and popular, and it made it nearly unavoidable that George was going to have to devote many thousands of words to his run.

Just not necessarily in the June issue.

The Trumps had always had a middling-to-bad reputation in New York. Fred Trump, the family patriarch, had always been a little too comfortable flouting the landlord/slumlord line to ever be Manhattan respectable, and Donald, an inveterate daddy’s boy if there ever was one, had a driving pathology to be even brasher, tougher, and more hard nosed than his father was perceived to be. In the world of upper class New York in the 80s and 90s, that added up to a guy who was always bragging at parties about head-to-heads with aging mobsters and nickel and diming people whenever he could get away with it. It was not behavior likely to endear one to the New York aristocracy–they preferred their exploitation performed from a plausibly deniable distance and converted into numerical abstractions. Stiffing plumbing contractors was too gauche for the mahogany and leather set at the Century Club, and gossiping about it was even worse. So while there was plenty of rumor and innuendo in the air, it was all light on details.

When John covered Trump, he didn’t want the coverage to be light. He didn’t want the people to have to read between the lines. He wanted the people reading the coverage to get the feeling of what it was like to be in a room with Donald Trump–the boorishness, the narcissism, the incipient megalomania, the feeling that somehow, he was on the verge of sucking all the oxygen from the space. He couldn’t do that justice in the space of a week or two.

Donald would have to wait.

The Oxys were finally starting to kick in, and the rhythm of phones ringing and keyboards clacking in the offices and cubicles outside began to coalesce into an ambient beat.

He leaned back in his chair and squeezed his stress ball back and forth.

A plan was coming together.

“Rosie!” he yelled. Rosemarie Terenzio was John’s fierce and diminutive executive assistant–more a right hand than secretary. She’d kept George going before the crash, and now he leaned on her more than ever. When his leg was acting up, sometimes literally. “McCain just bailed. See if you can get me Jesse Ventura’s phone number.”

Ventura, the former pro-wrestler-cum-Minnesota governor, was affiliated with the Reform Party, and, like McCain and Trump, had a reputation for shooting off at the mouth and attacking the entrenched “interests” who were pulling the strings of American democracy. He’d been a big booster of Trump’s all season, and Kennedy suspected that Trump would tap him for VP when the time came. An interview with him might be a way to softly check some of the same boxes as a McCain or Trump interview without shooting his wad too early.

While Kennedy waited for Rosie to work her magic, he put in a call to John Dougherty down in Phoenix. Dougherty was the reporter who’d helped him out on short notice with the Arpaio piece. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Kennedy remembered that Dougherty had broken the Keating Five story.

John McCain was one-fifth of the Keating Five.

“Straight-Talk Express, Dougherty: buy or sell?” asked Kennedy after they’d said their preliminaries.

“Oh, God.” Dougherty gave a weary laugh. “Hard sell.”

“Reasoning?”

“Because it’s bullshit, man.” Dougherty’s voice sounded like a shrug. “John freaking McCain, of all people, talking about money corrupting politics… It’s like a pawnbroker complaining about banks ripping people off.”

“Does this go back to Keating?”

“It goes back to Keating-the-guy. ‘It’ goes back before the scandal.”

“In what way?” said Kennedy.

“Alright, Keating Five scandal. Charlie Keating, investor and impresario, has been using granny’s money down at the savings and loan as his own personal marker for years–taking stakes in all kinds of risky ventures. Illegal as hell, of course. By ‘87, ‘88, the regulators are onto him, and Keating wants them to piss off. So Keating gets his five pet Senators to go down to the bank regulators and tells them to knock it off. The regulators don't like being intimidated, and the shitstorm ensues. McCain’s big cover-your-ass excuse for the whole thing was that he was just a baby senator at the time. Only been in office a few months, blah blah. The thing is, McCain had been in Washington for years before then. He’d been in the House since ‘82, and back then, he was Charlie Keating’s boy. Keating cut him in, to the tune of two, three hundred thousand on the same kind of development deal that made the savings and loan go belly-up. He had the keys to Keating’s vacation homes–”

“Gotcha,” said Kennedy. He’d heard enough to make his decision. “I’ve got an interview scheduled with McCain for the 9th of June. It’s going to be the cover, and since he might be the nominee by that point, I want this to be meatier than just an interview.” Kennedy hadn’t planned for it to be a heavy-hitter, not before McCain had put him off, but as John McCain himself had said–things change. “I want you to partner with me on it. You broke Keating Five, you’ve been covering Arizona politics for years… There’s literally no one better, maybe anywhere in the world, to work with on this. You’ll get a byline on the piece, of course, along with me.”

“Well…”

“Yeah?” said Kennedy.

“How much?”

Kennedy didn’t feel like haggling, and the Oxys were making him feel generous. “We’ll shoot for 5,000 words. We go over, we go over. Let’s say 75–no– 80 cents a word.” If staff writers at alt-weeklies in Phoenix made anything like what they made in New York, that was probably more than Dougherty made in a month. He didn’t wait for Dougherty to say yes. “If you can give me some preliminary research by the end of this week, I’ll have my EA, Rosemarie, call you and set up a time next week for us to work up an outline.”

“This week?”

“If you deal with McCain the same way you deal with Arpaio, you’ve probably already got a dossier. Just give me some good bullet points on the Arizona stuff. I’ve already got a decent handle on his campaign now, and I’ll have my people here see what they can find out about what he’s been up to in Washington. We gotta deal?”

Of course they did.

Last edited:
Well... USA managed create a second Waco Event and I feel like that McCain interview will make McCain unpopular meaning in two possible scenarios (Let’s be honest, system in USA hates third parties so no Trump Victory unless something happens on Gore side too):
-President Gore (Insert Gore in Simpsons looking lifeless)
-Election Thrown to the House (Insert Turkish Assembly Fight with people jumping from desks to fight)

dcharles

Banned
I do have a question: Why was the White House so intent on pissing off Cuban voters in an election year?

Your guess is as good as mine. For the Boomers, Gen Xers and older Millenials who're reading this, (don't know if that describes you, @PickledFish) I'm sure you're all aware that the actions of the Clinton administration are pretty much the same as OTL--except for the raid being rushed and taking place a couple weeks earlier. Mostly, it's the reactions of the anti-deportation forces that are a little different.

As was typical of Clinton, his whole stance on Cuba--throughout his term--was so triangulated that it basically pissed off everyone and pleased no one. The whole "wet foot/dry foot" policy was Clinton. Prior to Clinton, Cuban migrants were simply allowed to come to the US, and if they remained for a year, could apply for legal residency. After 1995, if Cubans were caught at sea, they would be returned to Cuba. If they made it to land, they were golden. It's logically incoherent. Of course, this pissed off the Cuban community and simultaneously, failed satisfy the people who wanted to generally normalize relations with Cuba. What this policy change accomplished is unclear. Why it was necessary at that point in time, even moreso. Relative to the US population, the amount of Cuban migrants has always been pretty small. Even though the evidence that immigrants depress wages is in general, thin, there have never been enough Cubans specifically for it to make much of a difference.

Politically, the smart thing to do would have been to either refuse federal jurisdiction altogether, as Gore had wanted to do, or alternatively, get Congress to pass a law that specifically allowed Elian, Juan-Miguel, or both to remain in the US. It was mooted at the time, and though it's kind of an old-fashioned away to go about it, there's plenty of precedent for that kind of approach.

Although Gore was all-around a poor candidate (and those references to his poll numbers being in the high 30s are straight from OTL; it's nothing short of a miracle that he managed to win the popular vote in the end), and there was certainly an effect from Nader, the Elian fiasco is one of the biggest reasons Gore lost Florida, a state Clinton won by six points four years earlier.

Great update btw.

Thanks as always. The positive feedback--from you and everyone who shows the love--has been amazing.

dcharles

Banned
Well... USA managed create a second Waco Event and I feel like that McCain interview will make McCain unpopular meaning in two possible scenarios (Let’s be honest, system in USA hates third parties so no Trump Victory unless something happens on Gore side too):
-President Gore (Insert Gore in Simpsons looking lifeless)

Haha, you talking about this one?

1660767399499.png

Hey, hope this doesn't count as a resurrecting post or anything inflammatory, just remembered this TL exists and wanted to sing its praises for a minute! It's just genuinely really fun and refreshingly written, way more narrative than most timelines here--characters, not events (well, more of the complicated interplay therein, but whatever). As someone who likes to think of herself as a character-writer, a dialogue aficionado, etc., I just love how much personality and character every chapter has. You get a clear sense of how people act and react and it's all just very, very, very good. Hope to see more one day, but of course no pressure! Big inspiration to me (if I could ever get around to finishing anything, haha)

Part 8: An Act of Love

dcharles

Banned
52645202713_fce487d872_b.jpg

“‘...When you’ve had the opportunity to know a state and its people the way I’ve been privileged to know the people of the Great State of Florida–from Pensacola to Key West and everything in between–well, you know how much there is to love, and you know how hard a decision like this is to make.

Today I have given the order to deploy the National Guard into the City of Miami, effective immediately.

This is not an order that I issue lightly. Two years ago, when I was campaigning to be your Governor, I promised to be a consensus builder. But I also promised to be pragmatic, and not to flinch when the tough decisions came my way. When I took the oath of office, I promised to faithfully uphold the laws of the state I love, and so help me, God, that is what I intend to do. I do not give this order as a partisan exercise or to aid one faction over another, though it will no doubt affect an issue with many partisans on both sides. Likewise, I do not not give this order to deter protest or assembly, but rather, to create the lawful, orderly atmosphere that allows all voices to be heard.

Finally, I do not give this order in defiance of federal guidance, but rather, in the absence of it. Therefore, to protect life and property, to assist the civil authorities in restoring order, and indeed, to make the streets of Florida safe for the people of Florida, I am ordering General Matthews of the Florida National Guard to mobilize and deploy what units he deems necessary and sufficient to restore order in the City of Miami and any other portions of Miami-Dade County which may be experiencing civil unrest.

Thank you. A few brief questions…Yeah, the Herald.’

‘Thank you Governor. As early as Friday morning, Mayor Penelas was publicly suggesting that the Miami-Dade Police wouldn’t be able to handle what they were anticipating over the weekend, and we’re all certainly shaken by what’s transpired. Why the delay?’

‘Well, we’ve, uh, been looking for clarity from the Federal government, and, look, you want to talk about Friday, what Penelas said on Friday? Well, this morning Joe Carollo was still saying that there were no riots, and so it’s a question of who do you…You know, when you’ve got a family, and there’s a disagreement, sometimes you’ve gotta give them some space to get on the same page. You know? It’s about respect. Giving them that space? It’s an act of love.’”

—Governor Jeb Bush, opening remarks at press conference on the evening of April 16th, 2000.

“JEB MOVES IN” –Headline, St. Petersburg Times, April 17, 2000.

“BUSH SENDS IN GUARD, STUMBLES AT PRESS CONFERENCE”--Headline, Tampa Tribune, April 17, 2000.

panama looter.jpg

The National Guard took a heavy handed approach to looters.

“Though he demurred as to whether he was still in regular contact with Clinton during the Saguesera Riots, Rahm Emanuel is, if anything, a talker, and he was more revealing when asked about Clinton’s mindset at the time of the riots.

‘When you think about those days,’ he said, making broad, expressive hand gestures. ‘You have to remember where President Clinton came from. Who the hell is Bill Clinton–I mean, before he’s Bill Clinton, attorney and governor and president–before that, who the hell is he?’

The cadence of Emanuel’s voice slowed, at odds with the wiry, diminutive frame and the expansive gesturing. ‘He’s a kid from Hope, Arkansas, named Billy Blythe. And if you know anything about his background, you know that there was a lot of conflict, a lot of abuse in his childhood. He had to take a lot of shit to come by that name–Clinton.’

‘Like a lot of people who grow up in environments like that, President Clinton developed a lot of instincts–how to comfort the distraught, how to show compassion, how to mediate between warring parties–that served him well.

‘During the Kennedy thing, that played to his strengths in a way that everyone got to see. That was Maximum Bill, Consoler-in-Chief. Develops enormous goodwill. Fucking tremendous,’ he said, hands miming two fireworks exploding in the air. ‘Best numbers of his presidency, and he rode that wave for a while. The numbers stay strong through Elian, and even during the first few days of the riots, the conversation isn’t about federalizing the guard.

‘You know, sometimes guys like me, we give ourselves a little too much credit… Nobody had to teach Clinton how to fucking triangulate. The early stumbles–they’re management skills, basically. It wasn’t an ideological development. Clinton triangulates li–he naturally finds the center of an issue, is all.’

He waved the tangent away like it was an unwelcome visitor.

‘With all the fucking Elian shit, it can’t be triangulated. That’s the god-damned point. It’s a situation where you’ve got 60% who kind of, sort of think that outcome A would be pretty good. Then the other 40% passionately believe–I mean, believe right-down-to-their-nuts kind of faith–that outcome B is their only salvation. Sure, the majority has the numbers. But in a case like this, the forty percent…They’ve got the fire, and they can bring the fucking heat.

‘From the perspective of a triangulator, it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. You can’t win by accommodating the forty percent, because you’ll never be able to go as far as they want you to go. And if you go against them, they’ll sure as shit make you lose. Hindsight, you know.’

Emanuel drifted off, leaning back in his executive chair and sighing like the defeat was personal. Officially, Emanuel had already left the White House by the time the Elian saga came to a head.

Alas, a man like Rahm never really leaves politics.

‘These are my impressions,’ he said, taking pains to make it clear that he didn’t speak for the former President. For all his bare-knuckle bravado and profane quirks, Rahm Emanuel is still an insider, and insiders know where the lines are and how to avoid crossing them.

But if these are Emanuel’s impressions of the situation, they in turn create the impression in the listener that the President had no strong feelings about the Elian affair either way. Emanuel’s account suggests that Clinton’s actions were more directed towards threading a political needle than they were toward achieving a specific outcome.

Is that why they seem so unfocused in hindsight?

True to pugilistic form, Rahm pushed back on the implication, making sure in the process that he established the kind of eye contact that would have made an executive success coach proud. ‘The President had strong feelings that the law should be enforced. At this point, the family is flouting court orders, going round and round with Justice, stonewalling. Something had to be done. But what? What the fuck do you do?

‘The concern was–I suspect– that the President wanted to avoid appearing heavy-handed. There’s a lot of sensitivities around an issue like this. The election year… Listen, I can tell you for a fact that it would have been known to Attorney General Reno, prior to any of this, that a Waco kind of stand-off was not, you know, the desired response. So she opts for a raid. Sends in the SWAT team, or the BORTRON or whatever the fuck it was called. Does it at night so there won’t be as many eyes on it. And hey, if the intelligence about the crowd had been right, the SWAT guys could have handled it.

‘But we got hustled. Out-fucking-worked. The whole time Reno’s thinking that she’s giving space for tempers to cool, all these geezers from the fucking Cold War start coming out of the wordwork. And when I say fucking Cold War geezers, I mean it. These were the kind of guys that tried to assassinate Castro in their spare time. Fucking CORU, Alpha 66, Brothers to the Rescue–that fucking neighborhood, the Gonzalezes, that whole scene–was crawling with them. They got tipped off. They were ready and we weren’t. You know how it ends.’

Emanuel got up with a shrug and moved wordlessly to a liquor cabinet. If he understood that the raid’s tragic and shabby ending didn’t illuminate the President’s mindset in the week after, he gave no indication. Emblematic of Clintonworld’s blindness on this issue? Maybe.

Perhaps instead, it was only thirst--albeit the kind that can only be slaked by lukewarm vodka and soda water.

While the eventual Barr Committee may have been focused on negligence and supposed malfeasance leading up to April 8th, it was the events of the following week that transfixed the nation. Monday and Tuesday saw the largest demonstrations in Miami history. By Wednesday evening, as the public was wrapping its head around Al Gore’s befuddling half-condemnation of the raid, the first post office had gone up in flames. Thursday kicked off a long weekend of rioting and a Friday/Saturday/Sunday of will they/won’t they between Governor Bush and President Clinton. All the while, Mayor Joe Carollo was emitting a steady patter of flagrant lies and incendiary misinformation, the Cuban Exile’s answer to Lord Haw-Haw.

Lost in the discussion about the authorship of memos and flouting subpoenas are the larger questions surrounding Clinton’s reluctance to assert himself. Emanuel responds only by way of mitigation.

‘Look, at that point, he was getting it from all sides. The far right is calling him a leftist tyrant and the center right is saying he’s incompetent. Then, the fucking Vice President all of a sudden gets vocal about something that he should have brought up ninety days ago or shut the fuck up about, and that opens the door on the Democratic side. So, are these people talking about federal overreach or what? Well then, let the state of Florida sort it out. Why does he gotta wear that jacket? If he’s going to get fucked for his troubles no matter what, it’s just self-interest.’

While few would deny that Clinton’s actions were self interested, to say that they were in his interest is another matter. Mere ‘self-interest’ wears thin as a motivator when the consequences were so dismal for all involved; it obscures more than it reveals. It needs a new descriptor, free from the pretensions to cleverness that ‘self-interest’ implies. It needs a word that captures the pettiness and venality wherein a man allows a situation to fatally deteriorate, both for fear of the criticism he might incur for making it better, and in anticipation of the criticism his foes might incur for acting in his stead.

It’s an old word: Spite.”

----All Fall Down: American Entropy at the Millennium's Edge, by Joe McGinniss, 2007.

“You said you knew it was over on Super Tuesday. What was it about that day? Was it the California exit poll?

Davis was shaking his head before I finished. ‘That’s what all y’all media folks think,’ he said. ‘The Republican vs. Independent thing. But that’s not it. Look, the rules can say what they want to, but the convention is going to seat who it seats. All that the California result meant to me was that the California delegates probably weren’t going to be the deciding votes, and whoever was going to win anyway would probably get the California delegates.’

‘So what was it?’

‘A combination of the map and the rules.’

‘You just said the rules didn’t matter.’

‘These rules matter,’ he said, half snorting, half chuckling, adjusting the horn rims. ‘Back then, the RNC didn’t just assign delegates based on population. They had a formula, but basically, states were awarded bonus delegates based on how Strong R they were. So if you had a Republican governor, maybe, that’s an extra five delegates. An extra few delegates for every Republican Congressman you sent to the House, every Senator, and so forth. Same thing for state legislatures. For me on Super Tuesday, it was three states. Missouri, Ohio, and Georgia. I knew then, seeing how we’d done there. I don’t even think we cracked 40% in Georgia.’

‘So why were those states significant?’ I asked, buying time to formulate the question I really wanted to ask.

‘Because those states were more typical of the profile of a strong Republican state.’

‘And you couldn’t win without states like that, because of the way the delegates were weighted.’

‘That’s right,’ said Davis. His tone of voice was only a little patronizing.

I still felt dumb. ‘But McCain’s whole strategy was Blue State—I mean, I guess they didn’t call them that back then,’ I said, getting sidetracked. ‘But his whole strategy was Blue State-Swing State. Your whole strategy. Are you saying now that it was always nonviable?’

‘Well I always knew that we were going to have to pick up some Red States. I thought we would get Indiana. Came this close,’ he said as he held up his thumb and forefinger. He shook his head and made a regretful noise. ‘And I, I still think that Jeb Bush sending in the National Guard the week before cost us. We lost by less than a half a percent there. Around three thousand votes… A lot could have changed if we’d won Indiana.’

‘When did you share your concerns with Senator McCain?’ I said.

Davis grinned. “I’m going to have to plead the Fifth on that one, Boss. At least for now.’ He pointed to the clock behind my head. ‘Time’s up.’

I turned around to see a disinterested CO opening the steel door.

‘They don’t like it when you make them wait,’ said Davis. He shuffled over to the CO and waved goodbye without looking back. Then he was gone.

I was in the car before it occurred to me that ‘plead the Fifth’ might have been more than an expression. I reviewed my notes when I got home. The Indiana primary had been on May 2nd. The right questions clicked into place.

If Indiana had been, as Davis implied, the last time he had a reasonable hope of victory, what were the ethical implications of the millions raised through the months of May, June, and July? And beyond questions of ethics, what was the motivation?
Surely, there was more to it than competitive inertia.”

----- Burned: the Rise, Fall, and Undeath of the Reform Party, by Matt Taibbi, 2017

Trump and Ventura.jpg

Governor Jesse Ventura and candidate Donald Trump together at a press conference. Ventura was one of Trump's earliest and most enthusiastic supporters.

JK: The last time I remember a Jesse Ventura story that wasn’t Trump-related was a couple months ago. There was some smoke about a back-and-forth between you and the national branch of the Reform Party. What’s your relationship to the Reform Party now?

JV: Well, I’m not about to sit up here and gossip, so if that’s what you’re after, you’re barking up the wrong tree. [laughs] It’s a fair question though. If you want to understand my relationship to the Reform Party, you’ve got to understand my own political history.

When I started out as a candidate, it was as Mayor of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. I had a conversation with a high school teacher who suggested that I should run. He wanted me to take a chance. Well, I did. Then I had the nerve to win, and I won as an independent. Beholden to no party. It was only after I had already decided to run for Governor of Minnesota that I affiliated with the Reform Party at all.

JK: Why the Reform Party?

JV: Why the Reform Party? Because the two party system is a monopoly system, John. You know that, I know that. Everyone knows that. Well, what does a monopoly do? A monopoly protects itself above all else. How does the two party monopoly protect itself? By keeping everyone distracted with never-ending arguments over trivial bullshit and ignoring the real issues.

I’ve always been a big believer in fate. The way I see it, if fate is going to put me, a kid from Standish, Minneapolis, in a position to be a candidate, there’s no way I’m doing it as a slave of the two party system, the two party monopoly. And going way back to his work on the POW issue, I had always been a Perot sympathizer. So when fate did put me in a position to run, the Reform Party was a natural fit.

JK: Is it still a natural fit?

JV: Well, the Reform Party is a young political party at a crossroads.

I want you to take two third parties, the Bull Moose Party and the Republican Party–look it up, it started as a third party–and look at what history has to show us. With the Bull Moose Party, you’ve got a party that gets millions of votes, but it never goes beyond that. It never becomes anything other than one man’s personal political vehicle. Then you take the Republican Party. The Republican Party grows and thrives because it’s not just about any one man.

Right now, the Reform Party is learning how to carry the message of Reform into the future. If that’s going to work, everything can’t just be on one man’s shoulders.

JK: So is that the main division within the party? People who want Perot to come back vs. everyone else?

JV: The bitter enders? Yeah, I think so.

JK: Because it’s been characterized as a fight between the Perot faction and the Ventura faction–

JV: No, it hasn’t. It’s been mischaracterized as a Perot-Ventura thing by people who don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. And it’s almost–well, it’s frustrating, because if Ross had wanted to run this year, there was nothing preventing that, and I would have given him my consideration just like I did in ‘92 and ‘96. I doubt Donald would have even gotten in the race. Basically, there’s an element in the Reform party that wants to remain in an indefinite holding pattern for a hypothetical race that might never come. Then there’s the rest of us. We’re trying to build a party. We’re carrying the message of Reform into the new millennium.

JK: And you think Donald Trump is the man to carry that message?

JV: Damn right, I do. On one side you’ve got–no offense–two sons of political dynasties, two proud representatives of the military-industrial complex, two focus grouped, poll-tested politicians. And on the other side you’ve got Trump: self-made billionaire who speaks his mind and has a plan to cut through the BS.

There’s no competition.”

-------- John Kennedy and Jesse Ventura, George; June, 2000 issue.