The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

If there's no Toonami, it means that all the animes and toons that WOULD have featured on there have to go somewhere. I can see the shows being divided between UPN and Fox Kids respectively with MTV maybe starting their own Adult Anime channel that evolves quickly into TTL's Adult Swim. ''Liquid Television'' maybe?
Sony Could try an animax and not kill it as badly as OTL

Are you suggesting that bring Animas to America?
ANIMAX, with the x, they tried but got cold feet at the end, in latin america animax was a mega sucess but them sony killed it as they cease to have interest on it, if we got a continent wide animax, would help both as series would be dubbed both language and spanish dub can be use in USA too. Dunno, they tried an otl animax in USA but backed down and never tried anime seriously till they bought funanimation

ANIMAX, with the x, they tried but got cold feet at the end, in latin america animax was a mega sucess but them sony killed it as they cease to have interest on it, if we got a continent wide animax, would help both as series would be dubbed both language and spanish dub can be use in USA too. Dunno, they tried an otl animax in USA but backed down and never tried anime seriously till they bought funanimation
I meant Animax but autocorrect changed it damn it.

Chapter 26 - Introducing the Cast of Superman '95
Many questions arose over what the Superman film would look like when it flew into theatres in the summer of 1995. Spielberg made it clear of the onset that this would be a new series of films that were not connected to the Reeve films. Meanwhile, DC’s only major stipulation was that it would resemble the comic books of the period as much as possible. As such, Jonathan and Martha Kent would still be alive and Lex Luthor would be a corrupt corporate executive, which producer Richard Donner and Spielberg agreed was more believable than the mad scientist of the Pre-Crisis era.

Casting for the film would be a monumental task, especially for Lois Lane, who was equally iconic as the Man of Steel himself. Julia Roberts was immediately out of the running as Spielberg refused to work with her due to her behavior behind the scenes of 1991’s Hook. Several actresses including Sandra Bullock, Claire Forlani, and Nicole Kidman auditioned for the role, but it ultimately went to Jennifer Connelly after she showed great chemistry with Brendan Fraser in her audition.

Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen was likewise an important role to fill. Donner and Spielberg had their hopes initially set on Sean Astin after working with him on the Goonies. However, dark horse candidate Will Friedle of Boy Meets World fame blew them away during his audition and won the role. His involvement with Superman did not stop at the movies as he would later reprise the role for the animated series [1].

While their roles were comparatively minor, Donner and Spielberg wanted someone recognizable for Jonathan and Martha Kent. For that they turned to Columbo himself, Peter Falk for the former and Olympia Dukakis for the latter. Smallville and the Kents would play a crucial role in the film to demonstrate how the American heartland shaped Superman’s moral center and contrast it to the bustling and modern Metropolis.

This would be abundantly clear with the staff of the Daily Planet. The casting of Ernie Hudson as editor-in-chief Perry White who had been traditionally caucasian in the books turned a few heads, but drew little protest. What probably surprised longtime fans more was the inclusion of Steve Lombard played by Matt Dillon. The character had not played a significant role in the comics since the eighties, but Spielberg that the mild-mannered Clark Kent needed a foil in the overly macho ex-professional foot player (and hopeless suitor to Lois Lane.)

That left Lex Luthor. Donner and Spielberg had taken a page from the 1978 film’s playbook and cast an A-lister in the role. There were no shortage of actors interested in the role from Kevin Spacey to John Travolta to Jeff Bridges before they settled on Bruce Willis. Having been made a household name after Die Hard, Willis was eager to sink his teeth into a villainous role to prove his versatility as an actor [2]. He would not be alone as ex-NFL star Howie Long was cast in the role John Corben, otherwise known as the longtime Superman rogue, Metallo as his first major role.

The cast of Superman (1995) would not be the only superhero news to emerge from Warner Bros. that year. With Tim Burton having departed from the franchise, Batman was in the market for a new director and the studio was looking for one that could balance the lighter elements of the Caped Crusader with the dark. Sam Raimi was the frontrunner for months before the official announcer because of his work on Darkman. With a new director locked, Warner Bros. was also looking for a fresh face for the Dark Knight and the rumour mill had it that Johnny Depp was in the running...

[1] Replacing David Kaufmann.

[2] This pushes Die Hard With a Vengeance’s release to 1996.

He would be a good joker, even a good two face but not the caped crusader/WGD itself
Thankfully it's only a rumor at this point. ;) I want to avoid putting Val Kilmer in the role ITTL.

Honestly, I think Depp would make a good Scarecrow.

Thankfully it's only a rumor at this point. ;) I want to avoid putting Val Kilmer in the role ITTL.

Honestly, I think Depp would make a good Scarecrow.

IMDB lists the following as contenders for Bruce Wayne/ Batman: Mel GIbson, Keanu Reeves, Daniel Day-Lewis, Kurt Russell, Alec Baldwin, Ethan Hawke, Ralph Fiennes, Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp, Alec Baldwin.

Billy Dee Williams was still under contract to play Harvey Dent and I believe he would have done a magnificent job.

And Robin Williams was considered to play the Riddler before Jim Carrey was hired. Williams was also in the running to play the Joker, but Warner Bros use him as bait to get Jack Nicholson to take the part at a lower cost. Williams was only two years away from winning an Oscar in Good Will Hunting, and he can definitely play the part of an eccentric villain.

I eagerly await chapter twenty seven!!

Many questions arose over what the Superman film would look like when it flew into theatres in the summer of 1995. Spielberg made it clear of the onset that this would be a new series of films that were not connected to the Reeve films. Meanwhile, DC’s only major stipulation was that it would resemble the comic books of the period as much as possible. As such, Jonathan and Martha Kent would still be alive and Lex Luthor would be a corrupt corporate executive, which producer Richard Donner and Spielberg agreed was more believable than the mad scientist of the Pre-Crisis era.

Casting for the film would be a monumental task, especially for Lois Lane, who was equally iconic as the Man of Steel himself. Julia Roberts was immediately out of the running as Spielberg refused to work with her due to her behavior behind the scenes of 1991’s Hook. Several actresses including Sandra Bullock, Claire Forlani, and Nicole Kidman auditioned for the role, but it ultimately went to Jennifer Connelly after she showed great chemistry with Brendan Fraser in her audition.

Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen was likewise an important role to fill. Donner and Spielberg had their hopes initially set on Sean Astin after working with him on the Goonies. However, dark horse candidate Will Friedle of Boy Meets World fame blew them away during his audition and won the role. His involvement with Superman did not stop at the movies as he would later reprise the role for the animated series [1].

While their roles were comparatively minor, Donner and Spielberg wanted someone recognizable for Jonathan and Martha Kent. For that they turned to Columbo himself, Peter Falk for the former and Olympia Dukakis for the latter. Smallville and the Kents would play a crucial role in the film to demonstrate how the American heartland shaped Superman’s moral center and contrast it to the bustling and modern Metropolis.

This would be abundantly clear with the staff of the Daily Planet. The casting of Ernie Hudson as editor-in-chief Perry White who had been traditionally caucasian in the books turned a few heads, but drew little protest. What probably surprised longtime fans more was the inclusion of Steve Lombard played by Matt Dillon. The character had not played a significant role in the comics since the eighties, but Spielberg that the mild-mannered Clark Kent needed a foil in the overly macho ex-professional foot player (and hopeless suitor to Lois Lane.)

That left Lex Luthor. Donner and Spielberg had taken a page from the 1978 film’s playbook and cast an A-lister in the role. There were no shortage of actors interested in the role from Kevin Spacey to John Travolta to Jeff Bridges before they settled on Bruce Willis. Having been made a household name after Die Hard, Willis was eager to sink his teeth into a villainous role to prove his versatility as an actor [2]. He would not be alone as ex-NFL star Howie Long was cast in the role John Corben, otherwise known as the longtime Superman rogue, Metallo as his first major role.

The cast of Superman (1995) would not be the only superhero news to emerge from Warner Bros. that year. With Tim Burton having departed from the franchise, Batman was in the market for a new director and the studio was looking for one that could balance the lighter elements of the Caped Crusader with the dark. Sam Raimi was the frontrunner for months before the official announcer because of his work on Darkman. With a new director locked, Warner Bros. was also looking for a fresh face for the Dark Knight and the rumour mill had it that Johnny Depp was in the running...

[1] Replacing David Kaufmann.

[2] This pushes Die Hard With a Vengeance’s release to 1996.
In character: "I hope the rumors of Bruce Campbell making a cameo as Bibbo Bibbowski are true."
Billy Dee Williams was still under contract to play Harvey Dent and I believe he would have done a magnificent job.
tim_burton_style_two_face_concept_art_by_nightmare1398_dd27zfj-pre.jpg

And Robin Williams was considered to play the Riddler before Jim Carrey was hired. Williams was also in the running to play the Joker, but Warner Bros use him as bait to get Jack Nicholson to take the part at a lower cost. Williams was only two years away from winning an Oscar in Good Will Hunting, and he can definitely play the part of an eccentric villain.
ERaXgReWkAADg6i.png

That Superman movie sounds good fun indeed. Donner and Spielberg clearly taking the subject matter seriously. Peter Falk and Olympia Dukakis sounds like a good combo. Bringing Ernie Hudson in is inspired. Hope the movie is 'grounded' and not too OTT.

Sam Raimi on Batman? Could be interesting. Depp could pull off Bruce Wayne, but I think you need a different actor there- perhaps Kevin Spacey, Pierce Brosnan, Keanu Reeves (he might make a better Azreal), Hugh Grant, Mel Gibosn, or as a 'reboot' suggestion the 27 year old Daniel Craig?

Sam Raimi on Batman means we'll probably see Bruce Campbell turn up there in some role.

Hm. Liam Neeson as Batman? He has the working relationship with Rami because of Darkman. He could probably work as a villain otherwise.

Last edited:
Hm. Liam Neeson as Batman? He has the working relationship with Rami because of Darkman. He could probably work as a villain otherwise.

Just not Ra's Al Ghul. Anyone but that character. Loved Batman Begins and Liam Neeson played a good villain, but that character was nowhere close to The Demon's Head. Neeson could do a very convincing Mr. Freeze though. His deadpan delivery in his action roles would be perfect for a man who has lost the ability to feel.

I'll be honest, in retrospect, I think that Batman Forever at the very least is a great movie and Schumacher did an excellent job as a director in bringing something unique to the franchise. It probably helps that I've been reading a lot of articles since the man's passing about the perspective he brought as a queer director and how it influenced all of his films, including the Batman ones.

That must be a blow to Brosnan since it was a dream of his to play Bond and now he didn't even finish a single film.
Yeah I call asb
Depends when the Iron Man was filmed. GoldenEye was filmed in the first half of 1995 while Tomorrow Never Dies was filmed in the first half of 1997. Filming for Iron Man could happen in 1996. That may butterfly away his roles in Mars Attacks! and/or The Mirror Has Two Faces.