The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

Speaking of which, since you know more about The Crow more than I do, how would The Crow: City of Angels be different with Brandon Lee surviving? Is there any way it could avoid the pitfalls it faced OTL? Also, methinks Thuy Trang (who was also in the film) will survive ITTL because of butterflies.

For some reason I can picture Brandon Lee as Green Lantern/Kyle Rayner at some point though technical limitations will shelve the series for the time being.

Gotcha. I don't think Arnie would get an Oscar nod either though I'll throw one in for Paul Verhoeven because, why not? Since @thekingsguard brought to my attention, I would be curious as to its box office performace with a holiday season '96 release.

I'll keep her in mind for the sequel, which will be released in 2000.

Regarding a movie sequel to the series, before City of Angels, O'Barr had a very different pitch. The Crow has always been an anthology series, with different protagonists, so Brandon Lee's Eric Draven would still be retired.

Anyway, O'Barr's original pitch was to have a female protagonist killed on her wedding day, and who comes back from the dead to kill the people who killed her. Barr envisioned one striking element - her bridal gown, growing increasingly ragged and bloody as her rampage continues, and the central theme of the film is her having to choose between revenge and peace (same with all Crow protagonists).

Ironically, a lot of it was supposedly used in KILL BILL.

As for Lee himself, he would have been an incredible Kyle Raynor, and really, following THE CROW, the sky is the limit for him. The only OTL role we know he was considered for was that he was who the Wachowskis imagined casting as Neo in the Matrix... ironic given how much THE MATRIX eventually would crib notes from DARK CITY, the dream project of CROW director Alex Proyas.

Long time thing to remember: Brandon Lee was best friends with the two guys who eventually created John Wick, with one even being his OTL body double in THE CROW. So he may be plugged for a lot of thier eventual projects.

Regarding a movie sequel to the series, before City of Angels, O'Barr had a very different pitch. The Crow has always been an anthology series, with different protagonists, so Brandon Lee's Eric Draven would still be retired.

Anyway, O'Barr's original pitch was to have a female protagonist killed on her wedding day, and who comes back from the dead to kill the people who killed her. Barr envisioned one striking element - her bridal gown, growing increasingly ragged and bloody as her rampage continues, and the central theme of the film is her having to choose between revenge and peace (same with all Crow protagonists).

Ironically, a lot of it was supposedly used in KILL BILL.

As for Lee himself, he would have been an incredible Kyle Raynor, and really, following THE CROW, the sky is the limit for him. The only OTL role we know he was considered for was that he was who the Wachowskis imagined casting as Neo in the Matrix... ironic given how much THE MATRIX eventually would crib notes from DARK CITY, the dream project of CROW director Alex Proyas.

Long time thing to remember: Brandon Lee was best friends with the two guys who eventually created John Wick, with one even being his OTL body double in THE CROW. So he may be plugged for a lot of thier eventual projects.
-Scribbles down notes-

Just an idle thought, but do you think would Alex Proyas be interested in directing a Green Lantern film ITTL? I see that he's no stranger to science fiction as he directed I, Robot and the aforementioned Dark City OTL. Given that the GL Corps are space cops, I could imagine him going to town with the idea.

-Scribbles down notes-

Just an idle thought, but do you think would Alex Proyas be interested in directing a Green Lantern film ITTL? I see that he's no stranger to science fiction as he directed I, Robot and the aforementioned Dark City OTL. Given that the GL Corps are space cops, I could imagine him going to town with the idea.
Remember that the earlier you do a Green Lantern Film, the More expensive the film going to be.
CGI really just starting in the 90's and it not till the mid 00's that the cost is going to start to come down.

-Scribbles down notes-

Oddly, given Proyas' love for art deco and practical effects, he'd be a better fit for Batman.

Or, if you're looking to pair him back with Brandon Lee, for Nightwing.

Chapter 68 - Introducing the Cast of Wonder Woman
(Author's Note: Recent audience engagement on the thread had given enough inspiration to write this entry. I'm still feeling in the doldrums so updates may still be sporadic going forward.)

Wonder Woman was a project close to Lauren Schuler-Donner’s heart. While her husband Richard shared a producer’s credit with her on the project, he remained hands off and acted as more of a consultant while he focused more on the Superman side of DC’s burgeoning cinematic universe. Most importantly, Wonder Woman would female-dominated production behind the camera with Mimi Leder in the director’s chair. [1] However, the perfect actress to bring the Amazon to the big screen remained elusive during the pre-production. Warner execs wanted someone like Sandra Bullock, whose name would certainly bring in a large audience, but both Schuler-Donner and Leder fiercely resisted the notion. Bullock herself would also pass on the role citing a lack of interest despite her agent’s prodding.

Schuler-Donner and Leder would instead seek out A-list talent to fill out the supporting cast similar to 1978’s Superman where Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman played Jor-El and Lex Luthor, respectively. First would be Siguorney Weaver as as Diana’s mother, Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons. Weaver’s science fiction bonafides with the Alien trilogy gave Wonder Woman a greater degree of legitimacy with general audiences. Next came Jeremy Irons as the god of war, Ares. While the nature of the character required him to provide voiceover a more taller and more physically intimidating stand-in, Irons would also portray his human guise of Aaron Warwick, the United Kingdom’s ambassador to the United Nations.

Then there was Wonder Woman’s love interest of Steve Trevor whose arrival of Themyscira sets in motion the events of the film. Will Smith’s name came up many times, but Smith (like Bullock before him) declined for two reasons: the first being concerns of being typecast as he played a similar character as Steve Hillard in Independence Day, and his own status as one of Hollywood’s leading men. Instead, the role went to the Ray Liotta.

Meanwhile, hundreds of actresses from all corners of the globe auditioned the titular that included such names from the obscure like Lucy Lawless from New Zealand to Goldeneye’s Famke Janssen to Ashley Judd. However, it would by Mariska Hargitay to landed the role of Diana. Daughter of bodybuilder/actor Mickey Hargitay, Mariska trained for the role prior to auditioning and continued training in sword fighting and other forms combat ahead of principal photography. Indeed, leaked production stills at the tail end of 1996 and audience reactions from test screenings generated positive buzz.

Rounding out the cast would he cameos from Lynda Carter and even Cathy Lee Crosby from the 1974 telefilm. Most had assumed Carter was a shoe-in for the role of Hippolyta, but would instead play the UN Secretary General while Crosby would play television reporter, Cat Grant. Lyle Waggoner would also get in on the action with cameo as President of the United States. The first trailers for Wonder Woman began to appear in theaters during the 1996 holiday season. With Superman ‘95 being a billion-dollar smash and The Dynamic Duo restoring Batman’s good name with promotional partners, Wonder Woman was well-positioned to take on Marvel’s twin behemoths, Spider-Man 2 and Fantastic Four.

Meanwhile, the studio was hardly idle when it came to DC Comics’s other properties as the studio solicited pitches for characters such as The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman. WB approached Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo for another go at the Scarlet Speeder whose early drafts curiously took inspiration from The Rocketeer. Brandon Lee, hot off the success of The Crow, expressed interest in playing Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner. However, technological limitations of the time cast doubt on the feasibility of such a project. Despite this, the studio’s momentum appeared to be in the direction of an event like no other.

[1] Props to @Geekhis Khan for this suggestion.

[2] Butterflies fluttered away Alien Resurrection due to Weaver being unavailable for the role.

I'm not sure I'd be bragging on that, were I him.

Honestly, what happened with Proyas is kind of a Hollywood tragedy.

DARK CITY bombed and then THE MATRIX, which... lets say "generously" ripped off large parts of his movie and made a mint, he went from Up and Comer to on his aas overnight. The Wachowskis ended a lot of careers, including ones they largely ripped off (looks at John Woo).

I ROBOT was the only bit of major studio work he was offered in the 2000s, and only then because it had been in development hell for years... the fact the end product was actually watchable and profitable should be considered a titanic achievement.

Then of course, there was GODS OF EGYPT, a gig he took because of his Egyptian heritage and love of thier mythology... and he was immediately crucified for having a multiethnic cast. Never stood a chance.

I havr said for years... I long to see what kind of movies we would have seen if Alex Proyas and John Woo been the ones to be given blank checks and whatever projects they want for two decades, and the Wachowskis had been kicked to the curb after a couple of cult classics.

Nice take on Wonder Woman there @Pyro, but I have to say a very white cast. I can imagine a lot of press asking that After Will Smith turned them down could they not find another ethic actor even as they applauded the amount of woman involved.

Otherwise sounds very cool.

(Author's Note: Recent audience engagement on the thread had given enough inspiration to write this entry. I'm still feeling in the doldrums so updates may still be sporadic going forward.)

Wonder Woman was a project close to Lauren Schuler-Donner’s heart. While her husband Richard shared a producer’s credit with her on the project, he remained hands off and acted as more of a consultant while he focused more on the Superman side of DC’s burgeoning cinematic universe. Most importantly, Wonder Woman would female-dominated production behind the camera with Mimi Leder in the director’s chair. [1] However, the perfect actress to bring the Amazon to the big screen remained elusive during the pre-production. Warner execs wanted someone like Sandra Bullock, whose name would certainly bring in a large audience, but both Schuler-Donner and Leder fiercely resisted the notion. Bullock herself would also pass on the role citing a lack of interest despite her agent’s prodding.

Schuler-Donner and Leder would instead seek out A-list talent to fill out the supporting cast similar to 1978’s Superman where Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman played Jor-El and Lex Luthor, respectively. First would be Siguorney Weaver as as Diana’s mother, Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons. Weaver’s science fiction bonafides with the Alien trilogy gave Wonder Woman a greater degree of legitimacy with general audiences. Next came Jeremy Irons as the god of war, Ares. While the nature of the character required him to provide voiceover a more taller and more physically intimidating stand-in, Irons would also portray his human guise of Aaron Warwick, the United Kingdom’s ambassador to the United Nations.

Then there was Wonder Woman’s love interest of Steve Trevor whose arrival of Themyscira sets in motion the events of the film. Will Smith’s name came up many times, but Smith (like Bullock before him) declined for two reasons: the first being concerns of being typecast as he played a similar character as Steve Hillard in Independence Day, and his own status as one of Hollywood’s leading men. Instead, the role went to the Ray Liotta.

Meanwhile, hundreds of actresses from all corners of the globe auditioned the titular that included such names from the obscure like Lucy Lawless from New Zealand to Goldeneye’s Famke Janssen to Ashley Judd. However, it would by Mariska Hargitay to landed the role of Diana. Daughter of bodybuilder/actor Mickey Hargitay, Mariska trained for the role prior to auditioning and continued training in sword fighting and other forms combat ahead of principal photography. Indeed, leaked production stills at the tail end of 1996 and audience reactions from test screenings generated positive buzz.

Rounding out the cast would he cameos from Lynda Carter and even Cathy Lee Crosby from the 1974 telefilm. Most had assumed Carter was a shoe-in for the role of Hippolyta, but would instead play the UN Secretary General while Crosby would play television reporter, Cat Grant. Lyle Waggoner would also get in on the action with cameo as President of the United States. The first trailers for Wonder Woman began to appear in theaters during the 1996 holiday season. With Superman ‘95 being a billion-dollar smash and The Dynamic Duo restoring Batman’s good name with promotional partners, Wonder Woman was well-positioned to take on Marvel’s twin behemoths, Spider-Man 2 and Fantastic Four.

Meanwhile, the studio was hardly idle when it came to DC Comics’s other properties as the studio solicited pitches for characters such as The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman. WB approached Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo for another go at the Scarlet Speeder whose early drafts curiously took inspiration from The Rocketeer. Brandon Lee, hot off the success of The Crow, expressed interest in playing Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner. However, technological limitations of the time cast doubt on the feasibility of such a project. Despite this, the studio’s momentum appeared to be in the direction of an event like no other.

[1] Props to @Geekhis Khan for this suggestion.

[2] Butterflies fluttered away Alien Resurrection due to Weaver being unavailable for the role.
FaceApp_1618934746642.jpg

What I imagined Mariska Hargitay as Wonder Woman might look like

Honestly, what happened with Proyas is kind of a Hollywood tragedy.

DARK CITY bombed and then THE MATRIX, which... lets say "generously" ripped off large parts of his movie and made a mint, he went from Up and Comer to on his aas overnight. The Wachowskis ended a lot of careers, including ones they largely ripped off (looks at John Woo).

I ROBOT was the only bit of major studio work he was offered in the 2000s, and only then because it had been in development hell for years... the fact the end product was actually watchable and profitable should be considered a titanic achievement.

Then of course, there was GODS OF EGYPT, a gig he took because of his Egyptian heritage and love of thier mythology... and he was immediately crucified for having a multiethnic cast. Never stood a chance.

I havr said for years... I long to see what kind of movies we would have seen if Alex Proyas and John Woo been the ones to be given blank checks and whatever projects they want for two decades, and the Wachowskis had been kicked to the curb after a couple of cult classics.
Proyas almost directed Paradise Lost.
I not sure if it would have be a good movie or if it would be the disaster that Gods of Egypt turn out to be.

Nice take on Wonder Woman there @Pyro, but I have to say a very white cast. I can imagine a lot of press asking that After Will Smith turned them down could they not find another ethic actor even as they applauded the amount of woman involved.

Otherwise sounds very cool.
In 96 it's likely that it'd be less of an issue. Lack of representation was often brushed off for a very long time.

Proyas almost directed Paradise Lost.
I not sure if it would have be a good movie or if it would be the disaster that Gods of Egypt turn out to be.
Having found and read the official script for Paradise Lost on reddit i can affirm that in theory it could have been a very good movie, but even from the descriptions in the script alone it looks like a film ahead of its time in terms of graphical representation, the costs would have been totally astronomical and i understand why the project didn't continue, either it was a big going to resounding success like for example Avatar or Avengers, or it was to be the most enormous failure in the history of cinema. And let's not forget that it could have generated a lot of controversies for representing Christian religion on screen.

I hope that in TL Proyas will have a bit more success, he's a good director with good ideas who had a lot of incredible misfortune as described above.

Hell, I'll try to answer any pop culture questions regarding this TL to the best of my ability it anyone has any.
I would be glad to learn anything you can reveal regarding the Genetic Wars, i was looking forward to them very much.

Last edited:
If you forget the obvious connection to Isaac's book, & the fact Harlan wrote a script based on it (that any director with half a brain should at least have read before contemplating shooting), yeah, it's not terrible.

I couldn't (& I didn't even like the damn book :rolleyes: ).