The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

A list of possible roles for Brandon Lee:
Looking at this article, I had the thought that if Brandon did Seven with David Fincher , he could have ended up doing Fight Club in the role that Pitt did and maybe Zodiac .
I can't see Brandon doing Benjamin Button .

So if Brandon Lee does the Matrix, it likely that he would have ended up doing The John Wick films
On the list in the link I noticed that Keanu Reeves could lose a lots of roles to Brandon Lee.
Something to think about ITTL:
Wikipedia said:
Margaret Loesch, Marvel's CEO from 1984 to 1990, had a meeting with (Brandon) Lee and his mother through comic book writer Stan Lee (no relation). Stan Lee felt that Brandon would be ideal in the role of super-hero Shang-Chi in a film or television adaptation.

I understand the author is writing/promoting a real life book. Chances are they might be back later on, but let's leave it up to them.

In the meantime there are various comics/superhero threads to have fun on.

You know, something that didn’t occur to me until now, but with ITTL 616 Peter Parker and family staying with the Fantastic Four in the comics, it gives Marvel a easy way to quickly age up Mayday to a older toddler or even small child. They can simply say she grew up between different trips to the Negative Zone or whatever. Marvel I don’t think is going to want Mayday to stay a baby forever, so aging her up a bit is probably ideal for them.

Also, I’m really hoping Valeria Richards will still exist/be born in this timeline. Hopefully she’s not butterflied away, cause I’m a bit of a fan of her.

Last edited:
You know, something that didn’t occur to me until now, but with ITTL 616 Peter Parker and family staying with the Fantastic Four in the comics, it gives Marvel a easy way to quickly age up Mayday to a older toddler or even small child. They can simply say she grew up between different trips to the Negative Zone or whatever. Marvel I don’t think is going to want Mayday to stay a baby forever, so aging her up a bit is probably ideal for them.

Also, I’m really hoping Valeria Richards will still exist/be born in this timeline. Hopefully she’s not butterflied away, cause I’m a bit of a fan of her.
Maybe Spider-Girl would be a thing by the 2010s

Chapter 71 - May Day at Marvel
While the Peter Parker’s retirement was controversial in itself, the birth of May Parker was turned out to be an unintended lightning rod as well. Most of it surrounded in comments Joe Quesada made in an interview in Heroes Illustrated [1] where he went on a tangent about how Peter’s marriage to Mary Jane Watson and birth of May aged the character. His invective appeared especially focused on the daughter of Spider-Man whom he called a “mistake” and disdainfully asked if they were planning on letting Spider-Man grow old. Of course, Quesada’s comments did not endear himself to Marvel who blacklisted him for many years, which lead to him freelancing for DC, Malibu, or smaller publishers.

Meanwhile, Stan Lee himself weighed in on the matter by reminding the industry that Reed Richards and Susan Storm married during his and Jack Kirby’s run on Fantastic Four as well as oversee the birth of Franklin Richards. Spirited debates on the future of Marvel Universe erupted on Internet BBSes. Would the House of Ideas allow its iconic characters to age in real time? Of course the answer was “no”, but the existence of Franklin Richards and May Parker did leave Marvel to wonder what the next generation of Marvel heroes would look like.

It wasn’t as if the industry hadn’t grappled with themes of legacy before. The Distinguished Competition’s Infinity Inc. featured the children of the Justice Society of America, many of whom joined the society after Countdown. Former Kid Flash, Wally West famously took up his mentor’s mantle after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Batman had taken in two Robins after Dick Grayson vacated the role. One could argue it was embedded in the DNA of the industry as the murder of MLJ’s [2] Comet inspired his brother to become the Hangman.

The question intrigued Amazing Spider-Man writer and former editor-in-chief, Tom DeFalco to propose a new comics line with Spider-Girl as the flagship. Bobbie Chase was not only receptive, but excited about the idea. However, could not commit to an entire line. As such, she decided to introduce the character in an issue of What If? written by DeFaclo and drawn by Ron Frenz.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 7.00.12 PM.png

(More or less the same, only less than two years early.)

The story took place fifteen years in the future where May “Mayday” Parker is a student at Peter’s alma mater, Midtown High. Having inherited her father’s intellect and her mother’s outgoing personality, even becoming the captain of the basketball team. Peter himself retired (again) after a confrontation with a resurrected Norman Osborn [3] cost Ben Reilly his life and Peter a leg. As such, Peter settled into civilian life as one of the Fantastic Five’s chief researchers and father to both May and her younger brother, Ritchie. [4]

However, the family dynamic changes when not only May manifests powers similar to her father, but is attacked by a goblin-like figure. Peter suspects that it may be Normie Osborn, Harry’s son, and seeks the help of the F5 and the (Next) Avengers to locate Normie to no avail. Meanwhile, May experiments with her powers while dealing with Ritchie’s blackmail attempts. Mary Jane eventually comes clean about her father’s past and the truth of her late “Uncle Ben.” Peter confronts Normie on the Brooklyn Bridge, but is saved by May wearing Ben’s old costumes and wins by using Normie’s pumpkin bombs against him.

May saves Normie from being run over, who later rants about the “Spider-Girl” as the police arrest him though no one believes him. The Parker family then burns Peter’s old Spider-Man paraphernalia, but the issue end with a teasing “The End?” as the last panel reveal’s May’s new costume designs.

Spider-Girl debuted in What If? (vol. 2) # 93, and not only became the highest-selling issue of the series but one of Marvel’s highest selling issues of the year. Comic shops quickly sold out of the issue, which ultimately resulted in four printings. Its performance resulted in the green-lighting of a Spider-Girl ongoing as well as a Next Avengers title featuring a grown-up Kevin Masterson and Cassie Lang, as well as Wild Thing featuring Wolverine’s daughter as part of the Marvel Next imprint. While the latter two would be cancelled less than two years later, the popularity of Spider-Girl would endure into the new millennium.

However, her inclusion in the animated series “Spider Wars” saga that would solidify her place in the Spider-Man canon. Voiced by Mary Kay Bergman, the character did reveal herself as the future daughter of Peter and the still-missing Mary Jane to give Peter the hope and resolve to combat the menace of Spider-Carnage in the season five finale.

Not bad for someone Joe Quesada deemed a mistake.

[1] Which ceased publication in Spring 1996 OTL, but survived longer without an industry collapse.

[2] Or as we know them today, Archie Comics.

[3] Implied to one of the Jackal’s clones in story.

[4] An original character named after Peter’s father. He’s a junior high student and the sibling rivalry between him and May is a fierce one.

Attachments

• 05777802e06b4810817b1d2322df12a3.jpg
    05777802e06b4810817b1d2322df12a3.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 91
While the Peter Parker’s retirement was controversial in itself, the birth of May Parker was turned out to be an unintended lightning rod as well. Most of it surrounded in comments Joe Quesada made in an interview in Heroes Illustrated [1] where he went on a tangent about how Peter’s marriage to Mary Jane Watson and birth of May aged the character. His invective appeared especially focused on the daughter of Spider-Man whom he called a “mistake” and disdainfully asked if they were planning on letting Spider-Man grow old. Of course, Quesada’s comments did not endear himself to Marvel who blacklisted him for many years, which lead to him freelancing for DC, Malibu, or smaller publishers.

Meanwhile, Stan Lee himself weighed in on the matter by reminding the industry that Reed Richards and Susan Storm married during his and Jack Kirby’s run on Fantastic Four as well as oversee the birth of Franklin Richards. Spirited debates on the future of Marvel Universe erupted on Internet BBSes. Would the House of Ideas allow its iconic characters to age in real time? Of course the answer was “no”, but the existence of Franklin Richards and May Parker did leave Marvel to wonder what the next generation of Marvel heroes would look like.

It wasn’t as if the industry hadn’t grappled with themes of legacy before. The Distinguished Competition’s Infinity Inc. featured the children of the Justice Society of America, many of whom joined the society after Countdown. Former Kid Flash, Wally West famously took up his mentor’s mantle after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Batman had taken in two Robins after Dick Grayson vacated the role. One could argue it was embedded in the DNA of the industry as the murder of MLJ’s [2] Comet inspired his brother to become the Hangman.

The question intrigued Amazing Spider-Man writer and former editor-in-chief, Tom DeFalco to propose a new comics line with Spider-Girl as the flagship. Bobbie Chase was not only receptive, but excited about the idea. However, could not commit to an entire line. As such, she decided to introduce the character in an issue of What If? written by DeFaclo and drawn by Ron Frenz.

View attachment 683122
(More or less the same, only less than two years early.)

The story took place fifteen years in the future where May “Mayday” Parker is a student at Peter’s alma mater, Midtown High. Having inherited her father’s intellect and her mother’s outgoing personality, even becoming the captain of the basketball team. Peter himself retired (again) after a confrontation with a resurrected Norman Osborn [3] cost Ben Reilly his life and Peter a leg. As such, Peter settled into civilian life as one of the Fantastic Five’s chief researchers and father to both May and her younger brother, Ritchie. [4]

However, the family dynamic changes when not only May manifests powers similar to her father, but is attacked by a goblin-like figure. Peter suspects that it may be Normie Osborn, Harry’s son, and seeks the help of the F5 and the (Next) Avengers to locate Normie to no avail. Meanwhile, May experiments with her powers while dealing with Ritchie’s blackmail attempts. Mary Jane eventually comes clean about her father’s past and the truth of her late “Uncle Ben.” Peter confronts Normie on the Brooklyn Bridge, but is saved by May wearing Ben’s old costumes and wins by using Normie’s pumpkin bombs against him.

May saves Normie from being run over, who later rants about the “Spider-Girl” as the police arrest him though no one believes him. The Parker family then burns Peter’s old Spider-Man paraphernalia, but the issue end with a teasing “The End?” as the last panel reveal’s May’s new costume designs.

Spider-Girl debuted in What If? (vol. 2) # 93, and not only became the highest-selling issue of the series but one of Marvel’s highest selling issues of the year. Comic shops quickly sold out of the issue, which ultimately resulted in four printings. Its performance resulted in the green-lighting of a Spider-Girl ongoing as well as a Next Avengers title featuring a grown-up Kevin Masterson and Cassie Lang, as well as Wild Thing featuring Wolverine’s daughter as part of the Marvel Next imprint. While the latter two would be cancelled less than two years later, the popularity of Spider-Girl would endure into the new millennium.

However, her inclusion in the animated series “Spider Wars” saga that would solidify her place in the Spider-Man canon. Voiced by Mary Kay Bergman, the character did reveal herself as the future daughter of Peter and the still-missing Mary Jane to give Peter the hope and resolve to combat the menace of Spider-Carnage in the season five finale.

Not bad for someone Joe Quesada deemed a mistake.

[1] Which ceased publication in Spring 1996 OTL, but survived longer without an industry collapse.

[2] Or as we know them today, Archie Comics.

[3] Implied to one of the Jackal’s clones in story.

[4] An original character named after Peter’s father. He’s a junior high student and the sibling rivalry between him and May is a fierce one.
About time this got updated.

Joe Quesada wrong? Surely not! He was wrong about Spider-Girl OTL and I am equally glad he is wrong ITTL.

It is nice that MC2 or Marvel Next exists in some form, it was a great little mini-universe that deserved to last. F5, Next Avengers, Wild Thing, J2, etc where/are all good books and I am happy they exist ITTL.

Does Richie also inherit his father's powers?
Does Mary-Jane and Peter have Benjamin later in the run?
Is Mayday a mutant?

Thank you for adding more to this story. Hope the real life book has done ok.

As such, Peter settled into civilian life as one of the Fantastic Five’s chief researchers and father to both May and her younger brother, Ritchie.
You know, I wonder if this means that the Franklin and May relationship will be larger and more prominent in the ITTL Spider-Girl comic run, due to the two essentially likely growing up together and knowing each other since they were kids.

Last edited:
Status and Potential Future of this TL...
So, what will become of the rest of the Mega Man series?
To be honest I haven't given it much thought, but there definitely will be a Megaman 8 and Megaman X4 in the pipeline. Mega Man Legends is a big question mark as there isn't as much pressure for Capcom to to create a 3D platformer. However, they might want to try something new with with both a successful 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 4 on the Saturn and Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64.

Anyway, regarding the future of this thread, I have been contemplating bringing this timeline out of hiatus since there many, many ideas that I had left on the shelf. Not the least of which were the 1997 slate of superhero movies. I even had an update partially written out on a scrap of paper, one that would probably be TL-breaking though MAYBE not that surprising either. Perhaps now is the time to inform you all as to what has been taking my time in the intervening months. It has been mentioned that I published a book last year so why not reveal it here (and plug it because I have no shame.)

The Phoenix Rises_Cover.jpg

Nearly twenty-five years of daydreaming and five years of writing, revising, and writing some more I finally did it! As one can tell by the cover, The Phoenix Rises draws inspiration from the venerable Power Rangers franchise and its Super Sentai counterparts, but also some from American comic books (obviously) and 1991's Hook of all things among others. The premise his thus: thirty-something geek and 90s child Riley “Brendan” Major feels trapped in his dead-end retail job and lonely bachelor life and that his best years were behind him. While he sought escape in childhood nostalgia, a seemingly random deadly encounter with a boy in red armour sends him to a Neverland-like world where he is a child again and both superheroes and monsters are frighteningly real. Drafted back into a war that he remembers only as a half-forgotten daydream, Brendan must confront his own doubts and the dark forces that have returned with a vengeance. However, the true scope of the conflict he finds himself embroiled in may be beyond anything he ever imagined.

Intrigued yet?

Well, the truth is that I had to split the draft I originally submitted into two parts. Thus I spent what energy I had (when not promoting Book One or struggling with a bout of depression last winter) fleshing out the second book, which was more monsters, more mecha fights, and an (almost) Earth-shattering climax that only sets the stage for an even bigger conflict to come. Anyway, the good news is that Book Two is finished, but I don't plan on submitting it for publication until next year at the very earliest so I can look at getting back in the alternate history game in the near future. I will need to work on planning it better than I did the last time.

If anyone wants to ask about the book or even want to make a contribution (as my knowledge mostly extends to comic books), feel free to hit me up by PM. I've horrible at responding as of late, but I will certainly try to make an effort to get back to you.