The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Hello all.

After some consideration, I've finally decided to publish Footprint of Mussolini as a book. However, two things will slow the process:

1) I need to spellcheck and grammar-check the work.
2) Since I finished the TL, I have read much more about the events in Post-Soviet Europe to the extent its become a new obsession. For that reason, I have decided to add new material to the novel - involving Bandera, the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict, Transnistria and more. Looking back, I'm disappointed that I didn't write more detail into the event so I will correct that. I will likely add more information about other random topics I've had floating around (the Katangan film industry, Harold Camping's Doomsday prophecy happening when he's Ambassador to Lebanon, the culture shocks of Rhodesians going to Katanga and vice-versa).

I can't make promises about the whens and hows of the publication, but in posting this here I hope to create a sense of ownership and accountability that I must do this. I hope I can complete the project soon enough.

After some consideration, I've finally decided to publish Footprint of Mussolini as a book. However, two things will slow the process:

2) Since I finished the TL, I have read much more about the events in Post-Soviet Europe to the extent its become a new obsession. For that reason, I have decided to add new material to the novel - involving Bandera, the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict, Transnistria and more. Looking back, I'm disappointed that I didn't write more detail into the event so I will correct that. I will likely add more information about other random topics I've had floating around (the Katangan film industry, Harold Camping's Doomsday prophecy happening when he's Ambassador to Lebanon, the culture shocks of Rhodesians going to Katanga and vice-versa).
Maybe you could get in touch with Sealion Press for the publication of Footprint of Mussolini?

Hello all.

I can't make promises about the whens and hows of the publication, but in posting this here I hope to create a sense of ownership and accountability that I must do this. I hope I can complete the project soon enough.
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS! Thank you

Hello all.

I'm guessing the Rhodesians going to Katanga would endure a tremendous culture shock.

Like those Arabian kids who escaped the desert nation, Rhodesians would suffer culture shock seeing a group of Sub-Saharan Africans living at a Western standard of living and living in (relative) harmony with a white minority.

I'm guessing the Rhodesians going to Katanga would endure a tremendous culture shock.

Like those Arabian kids who escaped the desert nation, Rhodesians would suffer culture shock seeing a group of Sub-Saharan Africans living at a Western standard of living and living in (relative) harmony with a white minority.

I was thinking more on the lines of two countries with totally different attitudes to race.

Katanga aspires to be a colour-blind nation ('Where the only colour that matters is green', as many say both supportively and dismissively of the country) and race is an almost non-existent part of political discourse. Tshombe had specifically forbidden any race-specific legislation by constitutional edict in order to assure the White population (already blown around the Congo) they wouldn't be at risk of further displacement.

By contrast, almost any significantly large company in Rhodesia-Zimbabwe operates with the workforce self-segregating like an American prison, leading to a nasty zero-sum game form of politics which is about the division of spoils and resources, tempered by the Remembrance Day Treaty. This has ensured peace in the fractious country, but it certainly hasn't lead to national togetherness. Those who explore places like Katanga or the Lusitanian Kingdom and see both the White and Black populations getting on without any major issue or even a sense of apartness often end up becoming Tolstoyists, who are ironically most hated by Russian immigrants who left Russia precisely due to the Tolstoyist simplicity that defines modern Russia.

Although yes, the existence of prosperous Black-Majority democracies has led to a lot of cognitive dissonance among Anti-Black racists.

Last edited:
I was thinking more on the lines of two countries with totally different attitudes to race.

Katanga aspires to be a colour-blind nation ('Where the only colour that matters is green', as many say both supportively and dismissively of the country) and race is an almost non-existent part of political discourse. Tshombe had specifically forbidden any race-specific legislation by constitutional edict in order to assure the White population (already blown around the Congo) they wouldn't be at risk of further displacement.

I'm guessing Katangese engage in a lot of civic nationalism (ironically inspired by fascism) in order to foster a multiracial identity?

Kind of like Paul Kagame's heavy-handed attempts at building a more unified Rwanda?

By contrast, almost any significantly large company in Rhodesia-Zimbabwe operates with the workforce self-segregating like an American prison, leading to a nasty zero-sum game form of politics which is about the division of spoils and resources, tempered by the Remembrance Day Treaty. This has ensured peace in the fractious country, but it certainly hasn't lead to national togetherness. Those who explore places like Katanga or the Lusitanian Kingdom and see both the White and Black populations getting on without any major issue or even a sense of apartness often end up becoming Tolstoyists, who are ironically most hated by Russian immigrants who left Russia precisely due to the Tolstoyist simplicity that defines modern Russia.

That kind of national attitude doesn't strike me as particularly sustainable. A nation where your racial groups have a "tolerate at best" attitude is one purged on the brink of racial war.

Although yes, the existence of prosperous Black-Majority democracies has led to a lot of cognitive dissonance among Anti-Black racists.

TTL seems at one a lot more pro-right wing, but also anti-racist in this regard.

TTL Racism is still prevalent, but so is the idea that you could lose your head by uttering a vile slur at someone.

I'm guessing Katangese engage in a lot of civic nationalism (ironically inspired by fascism) in order to foster a multiracial identity?

Kind of like Paul Kagame's heavy-handed attempts at building a more unified Rwanda?

That kind of national attitude doesn't strike me as particularly sustainable. A nation where your racial groups have a "tolerate at best" attitude is one purged on the brink of racial war.

TTL seems at one a lot more pro-right wing, but also anti-racist in this regard.

TTL Racism is still prevalent, but so is the idea that you could lose your head by uttering a vile slur at someone.
Katanga's unique economic and social situation made it especially distinguishable among African states that allowed it to foster a unique national identity that could transcend race - a land where everything you owned was yours forever, and not the state's to take. Everyone speaks French. Something similar exists in the Lusitanian Kingdom. The average Black Katangan has a lot more concerns about illegal Black migration from neighboring countries than he does about his White neighbour. Interracial marriage is a non-event and the mixed-race offspring feel equally at home in predominantly White or Black areas. The Katangan identity rests on race being artificial and any rabble rouser saying, "Whites have too much wealth - let's take their land" will get the same emotional reaction as if he wiped his ass with the national flag. Black Katangans see this attitude as the thing that caused the chaos in the Congo to begin with, the attitude that Black reformers in Rhodesia forwent and got something while the MK in South Africa got nothing - the attitude, in short, that Katanga surpassed in order to become the wonder of Africa. Granted, the EAF would say this absolves a lot of people of their complicity in exploitation and allows social injustice to remain, to which the Katangan is more of the opinion that what's most important is what creates a better society now while past wrongs are to be de-emphasised.

Interracial relationships are by contrast a family-breaking event in Rhobabwe. Breaking the taboo means almost certain expulsion to a Tolstoyist commune ("Why are you complaining? Do you know what they would have done to you in South Africa?"). Both communities are obsessed with keeping their own unique cultures, the Native Bloc which was persecuted for so long and yearns to protect it, and the Settler Bloc, which sticks together thick and thin as they are the minority in the country (it is the opinion of most business leaders that Rhodesians are the best corporate negotiators as their national identity hinges on getting every scrap of a deal they can get). However, this system has lead to severe intra-community cronyism in both groups that has only now been starting to change. Younger generations in both communities are embarrassed by their elders and can see a much different world in Katangan cinema, where people have friends of all hues and no one comments on it (although there's a dirty secret in the industry to put at least one token White character on the poster so China's more interested in it).

Last edited:
Katanga's unique economic and social situation made it especially distinguishable among African states that allowed it to foster a unique national identity that could transcend race - a land where everything you owned was yours forever, and not the state's to take. Everyone speaks French. Something similar exists in the Lusitanian Kingdom. The average Black Katangan has a lot more concerns about illegal Black migration from neighboring countries than he does about his White neighbour. Interracial marriage is a non-event and the mixed-race offspring feel equally at home in predominantly White or Black areas. The Katangan identity rests on race being artificial and any rabble rouser saying, "Whites have too much wealth - let's take their land" will get the same emotional reaction as if he wiped his ass with the national flag. Black Katangans see this attitude as the thing that caused the chaos in the Congo to begin with, the attitude that Black reformers in Rhodesia forwent and got something while the MK in South Africa got nothing - the attitude, in short, that Katanga surpassed in order to become the wonder of Africa. Granted, the EAF would say this absolves a lot of people of their complicity in exploitation and allows social injustice to remain, to which the Katangan is more of the opinion that what's most important is what creates a better society now while past wrongs are to be de-emphasised.

I think there was some OTL truth to this as well.

On the eve of independence, Colonial Elisabeth has a sizable black middle class...at least by the standards of colonial Africa. Moise Tshombe, who was unusually wealthy even for an evolue, was genuinely wary of Lumumba's policies.

And there was some genuine support for an independant Katanga. I read David Van Reybrouck's book, and apparently you still have people living there who defend Katanga's right to secede into the present. Although I wonder if this has less to do with any of Tshombe's virtue and more to do with Mobutu's Congo being a complete trainwreck.

Interracial relationships are by contrast a family-breaking event in Rhobabwe. Breaking the taboo means almost certain expulsion to a Tolstoyist commune ("Why are you complaining? Do you know what they would have done to you in South Africa?"). Both communities are obsessed with keeping their own unique cultures, the Native Bloc which was persecuted for so long and yearns to protect it, and the Settler Bloc, which sticks together thick and thin as they are the minority in the country (it is the opinion of most business leaders that Rhodesians are the best corporate negotiators as their national identity hinges on getting every scrap of a deal they can get). However, this system has lead to severe intra-community cronyism in both groups that has only now been starting to change. Younger generations in both communities are embarrassed by their elders and can see a much different world in Katangan cinema, where people have friends of all hues and no one comments on it (although there's a dirty secret in the industry to put at least one token White character on the poster so China's more interested in it).

TTL Rhodesia is like one giant Orania for the whites.

Hello all.

Kudos man!

I have used the free software Ywriter5, there is a new version, YWriter6. The author of the software is an author himself so he created the tool from the viewpoints of what an author needs.
Handy to keep stuff in order, chapters, people, places.
I use it for my own amateur writing and also to keep track of my Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Lets you Link the McGuffin in a sentence....and then you don't quite remember the properties of the McGuffin, just click the McGuffin link and refresh your mind. Avoids a lot of back and fro.

Hope it helps
:D

I think there was some OTL truth to this as well.

On the eve of independence, Colonial Elisabeth has a sizable black middle class...at least by the standards of colonial Africa. Moise Tshombe, who was unusually wealthy even for an evolue, was genuinely wary of Lumumba's policies.

And there was some genuine support for an independant Katanga. I read David Van Reybrouck's book, and apparently you still have people living there who defend Katanga's right to secede into the present. Although I wonder if this has less to do with any of Tshombe's virtue and more to do with Mobutu's Congo being a complete trainwreck.

TTL Rhodesia is like one giant Orania for the whites.
I think you are right. Perhaps Kagasi could survive in partnership, a separate but allied state, Botswana, and Lesotho.

Hello all.

I don't know how you would tackle this in novel form, but NaNoWriMo might be a helpful resource too.

Last edited:
Hello all.

That's awesome! Can't wait to buy the book. May I suggest some chapters about Finland and the situation on Italian Montenegro-Albania?

Good news. I'm looking forward to it, (including the new material).

However I think getting it published through the traditional non niche physical book route, (and thus making any real money) might unfortunately be difficult:
1.Currently it'd be 69 chapters at, (roughly) 640+ pages. Not many known/mainstream publishers would be willing to risk on such a, "big" book of such a minor genre.
2.Given the current cultural... sensibilities it's too charged and ripe for accidental and or purposeful misinterpretation by some of the more vocal reactionary quarters which could lead to demands for it's removal and doxxing.

Last edited:
Good news. I'm looking forward to it, (including the new material).

However I think getting it published through the traditional non niche physical book route, (and thus making any real money) might unfortunately be difficult:
1.Currently it'd be 69 chapters at, (roughly) 640+ pages. Not many known/mainstream publishers would be willing to risk on such a, "big" book of such a minor genre.
2.Given the current cultural... sensibilities it's too charged and ripe for accidental and or purposeful misinterpretation by some of the more vocal reactionary quarters which could lead to demands for it's removal and doxxing.
Sea Lion Press. Do Digital only unless you hit a certain amount of sales and have a limited physical book run.

You know, I wonder: what would have happened in this timeline if the July Plot had failed to kill Hitler?

Without the German Civil War, the European Front of WWII would have lasted some time longer. But would the Americans have still managed to reach Berlin before the Soviets? Or would they have not?

If the European Front lasted longer, could that have prevented the partition of Japan? That could potentially butterfly away the forced exile of the Ainu. Alternatively, Wallace fucks up and Hokkaido ends up communist anyways.

If the USSR ultimately captured Berlin, could we have a somewhat more successful Communist Bloc? It would still have plenty of problems from uber-Stalinism and Aflaq, but it would have more of Eastern Europe under its control.

Edit: Without the July Plot, West Germany would also likely not be a monarchy.

The other interesting in-universe what-if scenario would be one where Aflaq dies before he can attack Israel, most likely resulting in a civil war between Nasser and the other Baathists over succession.

The UAR collapsing before it can invade Israel would prevent the nuking of the Arab world. But, it would also result in the Arab world remaining friendly to the USSR, delaying the collapse of the Communist Bloc.

Honestly, if both of those what-if scenarios happened, I could potentially see the Communist Bloc outliving the Fascist Bloc and only collapsing in the 80s.

Last edited: