The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Im personally guessing that with the Free German army running around, Germany will feel alot less ashamed then they are OTL and will probably have similar issues to what Japan has now with pretty much everyone in Eastern Europe hating their guts and open Nationalism quite acceptable.
About nationalism, you have to think in TTL Fascism and nazism aren't considered to be the same thing, and nazifascism will be more or less the same as the horseshoe theory.

About nationalism, you have to think in TTL Fascism and nazism aren't considered to be the same thing, and nazifascism will be more or less the same as the horseshoe theory.

It’s not so much that Nazism will be considered left wing or anything.

Imagine a generic school shooter doing what he did because he wants to be famous. Or a serial killer. Or a barbarian pillaging a village. Or Osama Bin Laden.

Did you think ‘left-wing’ or ‘right-wing’? You probably didn’t think either. That’s Nazism ITTL. It just stands for death and insanity and people don’t really think of it as being a political movement with a clear space on the spectrum. Naturally, if you ask a learned person they’ll tell you that since the right is about hierarchy then the Nazis would be considered far right for the lengths they were willing to take it. But Fascism is the public face of the Far-Right - no one but maniacs endorse Nazism, especially given that you can endorse plenty of unsavoury regimes on the right who fought Hitler.

It’s not so much that Nazism will be considered left wing or anything.

Imagine a generic school shooter doing what he did because he wants to be famous. Or a serial killer. Or a barbarian pillaging a village. Or Osama Bin Laden.

Did you think ‘left-wing’ or ‘right-wing’? You probably didn’t think either. That’s Nazism ITTL. It just stands for death and insanity and people don’t really think of it as being a political movement with a clear space on the spectrum. Naturally, if you ask a learned person they’ll tell you that since the right is about hierarchy then the Nazis would be considered far right for the lengths they were willing to take it. But Fascism is the public face of the Far-Right - no one but maniacs endorse Nazism, especially given that you can endorse plenty of unsavoury regimes on the right who fought Hitler.
Yes, I didn't intend to say nazism will be seen as leftist, just that it will be seen as crazy fanatical (thanks in no small part to Himmler) and without appeal.

Stepping aside from this debate, @Sorairo , with a the lack of Mediterranean and North African campaigns for the Brits and the Americans, as well as the European theater ending much earlier than OTL, how has the Asian-Pacific theater been impacted ITTL? A lot could be done with more resources available I can envision more aid given to Chiang Kai-shek and the Kuomintang from the WAllies. If the Manhattan Project hasn't borne fruit by the time the US is sitting on Iwo Jima, as alternatives to an Operation Downfall I could see possibility of an amphimbous assault on Taiwan. If captured, it could open up to attack where the IJA was on the coast of China, primarily Shanghai and the Yangtze River delta, and the Pearl River Delta; if done from the Philippines, Hainan and Vietnam are also opportunities. In tandem with this would also be a blockade of the Home Islands to try and stave Japan into surrender. Of course if they hold out enough we could see Downfall, or, if the MT makes them, nukes, make a comeback.

When are we getting a Pacific update @Sorario?

Regarding the Hungarian throne. I think the Italians and British will both push for monarchy to better bulwark the country against communism. But as to who will end up on the vacant throne who is likely?

Otto of the House of Habsburg seems a clear choice. But his family was not on the best terms with Italy and his father tried and fail to regain Hungary. How well would he be received by the power players and the people.

If I remember correctly, there was some sort of understanding in OTL between italian and hungarian exponents to propose the hungarian crown to Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta.

This idea I don't see anyone but the Italians liking. It would likely be seen as Mussolini using an Italian prince to undermine Hungary's neutral state status.

Any other claimants to be considered?

And what about the Spanish throne? How will Franco's policies' regarding the monarchy be shaped here?

Stepping aside from this debate, @Sorairo , with a the lack of Mediterranean and North African campaigns for the Brits and the Americans, as well as the European theater ending much earlier than OTL, how has the Asian-Pacific theater been impacted ITTL? A lot could be done with more resources available I can envision more aid given to Chiang Kai-shek and the Kuomintang from the WAllies. If the Manhattan Project hasn't borne fruit by the time the US is sitting on Iwo Jima, as alternatives to an Operation Downfall I could see possibility of an amphimbous assault on Taiwan. If captured, it could open up to attack where the IJA was on the coast of China, primarily Shanghai and the Yangtze River delta, and the Pearl River Delta; if done from the Philippines, Hainan and Vietnam are also opportunities. In tandem with this would also be a blockade of the Home Islands to try and stave Japan into surrender. Of course if they hold out enough we could see Downfall, or, if the MT makes them, nukes, make a comeback.

When are we getting a Pacific update @Sorario?

After the war in Europe is wrapped up. So in three posts at the latest.

Last edited:
Regarding Hungary, what of their borders? They already had to return the territory they gained from Romania, something to hep Romania swallow the bitter pill of its losses to the USSR and Bulgaria.

What about the territory Horthy took from Yugoslavia though? The Serbians aren't in a place to demand anything, and the Croatians and Italians may prefer to see that land under neutral Hungary rather than Serbia. But I can see the Allies not wanting Hungary to have profited like that.

Last edited:
Regarding Hungary, what of their borders? They already had to return the territory they gained from Romania, something to hep Romania swallow the bitter pill of its losses to the USSR and Bulgaria.

What about the territory Horthy took from Yugoslavia though? The Serbians aren't in a place to demand anything, and the Croatians and Italians may prefer to see that land under neutral Hungary rather than Serbia. But I can see the Allies not wanting Hungary to have profited like that.

There will be an update soon on Serbian and Hungarian issues.

Low-key hoping that Serbia will be for Italy what Afghanistan was for the Soviets.

That'll be hard. Serbia is surrounded by the fascist block, it's in a vital position for italian's ambitions (and not peripheral like Afghanistan for OTL URSS), it's landlocked (so nearly impossible to get external "aids") and the terrain isn't rugged like in Afghanistan.

That'll be hard. Serbia is surrounded by the fascist block, it's in a vital position for italian's ambitions (and not peripheral like Afghanistan for OTL URSS), it's landlocked (so nearly impossible to get external "aids") and the terrain isn't rugged like in Afghanistan.
1)You are mostly right. At this point Ethiopia is probably a better candidate as italian afghanistan
2)However i suspect that Italy bit more than it can chew: not only now Rome has to worry about Lybia and Ethiopia, but it also has to deal with an overstretched empire in the Balkans, while lacking the resources that for years allowed the URSS to control its territories .
Yes, the other fascist nations may help Mussoni against eventual rebells but they will be probably more focused on their own problems.

Plus they can outsourcing the job to the Croats

1)You are mostly right. At this point Ethiopia is probably a better candidate as italian afghanistan
2)However i suspect that Italy bit more than it can chew: not only now Rome has to worry about Lybia and Ethiopia, but it also has to deal with an overstretched empire in the Balkans, while lacking the resources that for years allowed the URSS to control its territories .
Yes, the other fascist nations may help Mussoni against eventual rebells but they will be probably more focused on their own problems.

lybia by now it will not a real problem, between the italian and the jew population and at most will be a low level fight; Ethiopia on the other hand it will like Afghanistan. Regarding the Balkans, the good point is that Italy is more a first among equals in the Fascist block as she doesn't have the resources to the an hegemon like the URSS and this mean that the members will be much more willing than in the warsaw pact and much less problematic (except Serbia)

lybia by now it will not a real problem, between the italian and the jew population and at most will be a low level fight;
Unless Egypt and Algeria decide to intervene. I am not even talking about a direct invasion but rather support various groups of rebells. While italy may manage to keep Lybia, i doubt it will be an easy fight (think about the Portughese colonial wars as example)

Italy is more a first among equals in the Fascist block as she doesn't have the resources to the an hegemon like the URSS and this mean that the members will be much more willing than in the warsaw pact and much less problematic (except Serbia)
It also means that some of these nations may simply have no reason to support Italy in the Balkans (like Spain and Portugal that will be more focused on their colonial empires) or in Africa( why should Bulgaria partecipate in a colonial conflict where it has nothing to gain?).
Also some of these nations will be in the same situation of some countries in the Warsaw Pact in OTL: ruled by puppet governments who are hated by the local population and having an horrible economic situation.

Plus they can outsourcing the job to the Croats
Didn't Mussolini order the complete suppression of their culture and language in retilation of their collaboration with Germany and attack on Trieste or i am confusing them with someone else?

Unless Egypt and Algeria decide to intervene. I am not even talking about a direct invasion but rather support various groups of rebells. While italy may manage to keep Lybia, i doubt it will be an easy fight (think about the Portughese colonial wars as example)

yep and Portugal with a lot less resources and a weapon embargo resisted for long time in Angola and Mozambique; Italy is in another league and Algeria (that depend on how France will develop as with her much less spent the rebellion in Algeria can fail and i doubt that the French or British goverment will support any local uprising) and Egypt will need to think a lot before giving logistical support to the lybian rebels.

Didn't Mussolini order the complete suppression of their culture and language in retilation of their collaboration with Germany and attack on Trieste or i am confusing them with someone else?

It was the Slovenes

I don't see Lybia as a true problem. Most of the rebels activity was stomped in a very ugly way at the beginning of the thirties, and since then low native population vs high colonial settlements (boosted by refugees) will do the job. With oil and easy access from Italy, you can bet the hierarchy will see Lybia as a core region.
Ethiopia on the other hand is unmaintanable short or long term.

About Serbia: the country is in a hard position. Can't hardly count for Western solidarity, with Britain and maybe France considering the entire Balkans now under Italian influence. Even if Serbia, Hungary and Romania would stay neutral after the war, they would likely align economically towards Italy, from the moment the Roman alliance locks control of the Danube, between occupied Austria and Bulgarian Dobrugja. Their small hope could stay in a Czechoslovakian and Polish neutrality, but I have the feeling all east of the Elbe would be red in the end hence for the good or the worse would deal with Italy in the end. Romania we know for sure; Hungary very likely.

There is the possibility of a revolution in Serbia or even Greece? Hardly. At the very inkling of communist riot, the fascists won't hesitate to pretend a crackdown from Belgrade or Athens, or worse invade those countries again. But there is still a certain guy in the Balkans apparently on the loose which may change the scenario...