The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Aflaq has victory fever and it will be the death of all he is building. He thinks he is a great conqueror toppling states he already subverted or in the case of Oman were in civil war. His United Arab military has not been truly tested yet, and if he is going to war in two years I don't expect the UAR to be too integrated as a strong national economy either. When he comes up against the IDF facing a state united against him and forces with equal or greater loyalty to their cause... Reality check in the form of a crowbar to the teeth I would guess. Not to mention the RA military's likely to be involved.

And the UAR structure and his alliance with Saudi Arabia are shaky. Nasser and the Omani dictator will not die for him. They follow him out of pragmatism and will bail if thy can at the first sign. Likewise the Saudis are only with him for fear of Arab populism and the country might see events like OTL WWII Italy with the current king overthrown to change sides if thing go south for Aflaq. Not to mention I expect many powerful people and segments of the conservatives in the Saudi population take a dim view of following a Christian upstart like Aflaq when their country holds Mecca and Medina; and would support turning on the UAR if things get dicey.

And his great ally? The Soviets? The USSR is sick, and even if the Troika have it on the road to recovery that will be at least a decade not two years. I can see Aflaq going to war expecting the Soviets to back him or threaten WWIII to keep Israel for getting aid, only for the Troika to leave him to die knowing they have no chance beyond going down swinging right now. Leaving Aflaq to fall may be what topples the Troika ending the "False Hope" of the mid Fifties.

And so the UAR and the Baathists rapid rise leads to a stunning fall with at the very least Israel, Italy, and Turkey striking against them. With Eden's Britain possibly joining in.

The seeming rebirth of Lebanon is interesting. I am guessing it will be part of a wider divide and rule policy by the victors of the 2nd Arab War.

Last edited:
I do not care as long Britain stay fuck away from India. Hopefully that arab fanatic cult leader will be focused more towards Israel than India.

He is going focus to Israel and other Arab states. India doesn't intrest him when there is not Arabs all or only very few of them. His expansion direction is in Middle East and North Africa.

One question: What is situation with Tunisia?

True. Aflaq's UAR is not so unified like he might believe. All Arabs don't like him and some might even hate him from many reasons. And he is not able create unified and professional Arab army in few years. Israel had already created such and they are very unified at least when there is common enemy who wants destroy them. And they have already experienced soldiers. Among Russian refugees there is probably thousands of veterans of Great Patriotic War and there is still left many other who have served in WW2. And most soldiers have served in First Arab War. And Israel has surely bough much of newest possible military technology and weapons.

And indeed Soviets are not going fight for Aflaq. They don't wan't begin WW3 over that madman.

I’ve got a dark joke regarding Stalin:

Stalin goes to a fortune teller and asks, “When will I die?”
The fortune teller answers, “On a Jewish holiday.”
Stalin then asks, “How do you know that?”
She replies, “Any day you die will be a Jewish holiday.”

Last edited:
The Jebel Akhdar War began when Omanis in the nation’s interior, under command of elected Imam Ghalib Alhianai, fought against Sultan Said bin Taimur, who was backed by the British. Taimur wanted to access Oman’s internal oil fields and received payment from BP, Royal Dutch Shell and ExxonMobil to bring the interior under his control and allow drilling. Inspired with greed, the Sultan quickly accepted. In December 1954, the Sultan’s forces marched to Adam in an attempt to occupy the city.

A few problems with this - having worked for the Omani oil company PDO I can tell you that no commercial oil deposits were found until 1962 and no oil shows at all until after 1954.

It is entirely possible that Oman is attacked and invaded in this timeframe by Saudi Arabia - disputes over territory continued all the way up to the 1980s and conflict over Buraimi Oasis in particular flared up in the mid 1950's

And so the UAR and the Baathists rapid rise leads to a stunning fall with at the very least Israel, Italy, and Turkey striking against them. With Eden's Britain possibly joining in.

The seeming rebirth of Lebanon is interesting. I am guessing it will be part of a wider divide and rule policy by the victors of the 2nd Arab War.

True. Aflaq's UAR is not so unified like he might believe. All Arabs don't like him and some might even hate him from many reasons. And he is not able create unified and professional Arab army in few years. Israel had already created such and they are very unified at least when there is common enemy who wants destroy them. And they have already experienced soldiers. Among Russian refugees there is probably thousands of veterans of Great Patriotic War and there is still left many other who have served in WW2. And most soldiers have served in First Arab War. And Israel has surely bough much of newest possible military technology and weapons.

And indeed Soviets are not going fight for Aflaq. They don't wan't begin WW3 over that madman.

What about Iran? I can't say Iran would enjoy Aflag very much as well as coming to blows over the Arvand Rud and Khuzestan Province just as it was in the OTL Iran–Iraq War, and Iran wanting it cut of Iraq.

(I know the North is still control by the Soviets, but all the same.)

Nasser bailing frees Israel southern flak. The Saudis leaving would be far worse.

What about Iran? I can't say Iran would enjoy Aflag very much as well as coming to blows over the Arvand Rud and Khuzestan Province just as it was in the OTL Iran–Iraq War, and Iran wanting it cut of Iraq.

Nasser bailing frees Israel southern flak. The Saudis leaving would be far worse.

Aflaq probably ratherly would try provocate some proxy war in Iran than just directly attack there. It would anger too much of Western powers and Aflaq is not ready for that. Israel is probably only nation where he will attack directly.

Aflaq probably ratherly would try provocate some proxy war in Iran than just directly attack there. It would anger too much of Western powers and Aflaq is not ready for that. Israel is probably only nation where he will attack directly.

That is true, but there is nothing saying Iran won't try something on its own...

Aflaq should wait another decade. Build up the UAR first. Then invade. on Yom Kippur

That would be most reasonable. But Aflaq like many dictators like he is too impatient and probably too drunken over his successes. He united Iraq and Syria without any resistanse, Egypt and Oman became easily his allies and he annexed Lebanon without or very few of foreign outcry. He is too sure about himself and his army.

That would be most reasonable. But Aflaq like many dictators like he is too impatient and probably too drunken over his successes. He united Iraq and Syria without any resistanse, Egypt and Oman became easily his allies and he annexed Lebanon without or very few of foreign outcry. He is too sure about himself and his army.
I just don't see the Arab issue going away with his upcoming defeat. no matter how ruthless Mussolini and Israel carve up the middle east as punishment. If nothing else pan-arabism transforms into an even more virulent islamism

Aflaq should wait another decade. Build up the UAR first. Then invade. on Yom Kippur

Yeah. At this point, he's the 'savior of the Arabs' in his mind and to his followers, and the easy success will prove to be poison.

As said, Egypt and Oman will ditch him at the first sigh of trouble, the Saudis not far behind, and Israel, Turkey, Italy, and likely both the UK and Iran gunning for him and ready to take action.

Yeah. At this point, he's the 'savior of the Arabs' in his mind and to his followers, and the easy success will prove to be poison.

As said, Egypt and Oman will ditch him at the first sigh of trouble, the Saudis not far behind, and Israel, Turkey, Italy, and likely both the UK and Iran gunning for him and ready to take action.
Which is a shame, because I think watching him bleed for a decade in Yemen like our OTL boy Nasser would have been great. And having more time to gestate would probably justify why he does so well against Israel in the first round.

Given the mood in ITTL Arabia, I could see the Christian Arabs getting the blame for Aflaq's failure--setting up for the fall of pan-arabism and the rise of an even nastier radical islamism as the answer to their peoples' ills and occupation

which in turn could come to destabilize fascist Turkey over the next 50 years alongside the Kurdish debacle

Too close to the British. Aden is still a colony
Sudan may or may not be claimed by both UAR (Egypt) and the British.
even if it is too close... there is a reason the British left. Maybe they try harder to hold onto Aden while letting the rest fall away. OTL yemen was a fantastic mess

Yemen was a low-priority Italian target IOTL pre-war. ITTL, with a victory-drunk Mussolini, if (and only if) opportunity arises...
However, Britain IOTL clung to Aden about as long as she plausibly could. ITTL they'd have far more reason to do so, for the moment.