The Anglo-Saxon Social Model - The Expanded Universe

Soccer: Terry's Tots
Terry’s Tots was a name applied to a group of football players recruited by Barcelona under the management of Sir Terry Venables and trained primarily by the youth coach Josep Maria Fusté, before progressing to the first team during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Although none of the main wave of the Tots were Catalonian, they were developed in Barcelona’s “La Masia” academy from a very young age. Many of these players were part of the Barcelona team that won the European Youth Cup in 1989, including future Barcelona regulars Luis Figo, Paulo Sousa, Rui Costa, Marc Overmars and Abel Xavier. Also usually included in this group is Carlos Marchena, who would break into the team a few years after the others. The term is also occasionally applied to a second generation of players, notably the Spaniard Mikel Arteta and the Catalans Xavi Hernandez, Carles Puyol and Cesc Fabregas, who emerged in the early to mid-2000s.
Image 19-01-2020 at 18.31.jpg

Image 19-01-2020 at 13.20.jpg
Image 19-01-2020 at 13.39.jpg
Image 19-01-2020 at 15.27.jpg
Image 19-01-2020 at 21.23.jpg
Image 19-01-2020 at 15.59.jpg
Image 19-01-2020 at 17.27.jpg

Last edited:
Popes (1903 onwards)
As a thank you to everyone who's been following but not interested in my sport kick over the past week or so. I'm afraid it's not quite over. In the meantime, please enjoy this list of 20th and 21st century Popes. There are a couple of changes from the list I posted in the original thread but the general direction of the Church's theological evolution is largely unchanged. As always, if there are any questions let me know.

Image 05-01-2020 at 19.22.jpg

Image 05-01-2020 at 19.23.jpg

As a thank you to everyone who's been following but not interested in my sport kick over the past week or so. I'm afraid it's not quite over. In the meantime, please enjoy this list of 20th and 21st century Popes. There are a couple of changes from the list I posted in the original thread but the general direction of the Church's theological evolution is largely unchanged. As always, if there are any questions let me know.
Not really sure how possible some of that is...

Not really sure how possible some of that is...

So the basic idea is that John XXII lives long enough to see out Vatican II and begin the enforcement of some of its conclusion. He then dies early enough to give John VI (OTL John Paul I) a longer papacy to show the human side of the Church to the world. Liberation Theology and otherwise more generally liberal theology thus has more time to embed itself in the Vatican. As for the others, OTL Carlo Martini reportedly had the most support in the first vote to replace John Paul II (although, obviously, who really knows?) and OTL Godfried Daneels was mentioned as a potential replacement at the time too (obviously I've butterflied away the mandatory retirement age for cardinals), so I don't think it's implausible for a reform-minded and liberalising Church to choose one or both of them.

Nzapalainga and Hume are, I'll admit, a bit more of a stretch. As regards Hume, I always thought that he would have made a thoughtful, intelligent Pope (albeit not one who would have confronted the paedophille scandal head-on, unfortunately). Secondly, considering I am basically writing a Britwank (hopefully a more sophisticated flavour of one, but you can be the judge) I thought it would be fun to include a British Pope while there was a decent candidate about. As for Nzapalainga, my thinking was that, after two Popes in their 70s, the College of Cardinals wanted to head in a younger direction and a non-European option was considered a good thing. (I may also have been influenced by HBO's 'Young Pope', which I'm currently rewatching.)

Hm, is Brasil's flag different from OTL, looking at the FIFA World Cup tables?

Also, that liberalization of the Church is a bit fast for a notoriously conservative organization. Also John Paul I died really quick IOTL, just a couple days after his papacy began, so how do you explain that bit?

Sorry to be a pain: Northumbria cant contain the north west. They need their own assembly. We need ours. Our needs are different. We in the North East would never accept that and niether would the mancs and scousers accept us! The North East would get not a single look in with that sort of arrangement. The proposal above does not make social or geographic or economic sense. it also not fair that Leeds has a base of power but Newcastle is subservient to Manchester.

I would either nip it off across the narrows around Lancaster ( but even that is "sub optimal) or put the North West and Cumbria in its own assembly and the remaining area between the Tees and the Tweed in its another zone.

Last edited:
So the basic idea is that John XXII lives long enough to see out Vatican II and begin the enforcement of some of its conclusion. He then dies early enough to give John VI (OTL John Paul I) a longer papacy to show the human side of the Church to the world. Liberation Theology and otherwise more generally liberal theology thus has more time to embed itself in the Vatican. As for the others, OTL Carlo Martini reportedly had the most support in the first vote to replace John Paul II (although, obviously, who really knows?) and OTL Godfried Daneels was mentioned as a potential replacement at the time too (obviously I've butterflied away the mandatory retirement age for cardinals), so I don't think it's implausible for a reform-minded and liberalising Church to choose one or both of them.

Nzapalainga and Hume are, I'll admit, a bit more of a stretch. As regards Hume, I always thought that he would have made a thoughtful, intelligent Pope (albeit not one who would have confronted the paedophille scandal head-on, unfortunately). Secondly, considering I am basically writing a Britwank (hopefully a more sophisticated flavour of one, but you can be the judge) I thought it would be fun to include a British Pope while there was a decent candidate about. As for Nzapalainga, my thinking was that, after two Popes in their 70s, the College of Cardinals wanted to head in a younger direction and a non-European option was considered a good thing. (I may also have been influenced by HBO's 'Young Pope', which I'm currently rewatching.)
Possibly. What concered me more was the various descriptions that suggested reform on socail issues, some of which I am not sure a Pope could really do without not really being Pope anymore.
Does the Church avoid some of the abuses (in terms of Mass not people) of the 70's (real bread etc.)?

Soccer: France's Lost Generation
The French lost generation is a term applied to a series of French players whose careers were cut short by the policies of the Sixth Republic between 1996 and 2009. Upon the overthrow of the Fifth Republic in January 1996, the new government of France leant on the FFF to institute a number of new rules regarding player eligibility for the national team. The most notable of these rules was the requirement that only players playing in the French domestic league be eligible for selection. This rule, alongside other rules widely regarded as being aimed at discouraging non-white players, proved controversial but nevertheless went into force at the end of the 1995-96 domestic season.

Over the summer of 1996, many French players were transferred to Paris Saint Germain, a new club formed from the amalgamation of three former Parisian clubs and intended to serve as a French national champion. However, many were uncomfortable in the new environment and Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier, the head coach and technical director, respectively, of the French national team, both resigned in protest in June 1996. They were followed out of the country by a large number of players, who moved to a number of leagues around the world but most commonly to teams in Iberia, Italy and the United Kingdom.

This ‘lost generation’ has never been applied to a proscriptive list of players but is generally thought to include those who would have formed the nucleus of the French national team between 1996 and 2006. The term was first applied to the group by Arsene Wenger in an interview with Four Four Two magazine in 2016. Most of these players are non-white but a couple of notable white players are occasionally included as well. Most players earned very few or no caps for France, although some did play internationally for other countries, for which they qualified either through dual citizenship or on residency grounds.

The following players are generally regarded as the most notable members of the lost generation:

Image 20-01-2020 at 15.53.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 16.06.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 16.20.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 16.34.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 16.52.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 21.04.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 21.17.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 21.35.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 21.46.jpg
Image 20-01-2020 at 21.54.jpg

Hm, is Brasil's flag different from OTL, looking at the FIFA World Cup tables?

As @Analytical Engine said, Brazil is a constitutional monarchy TTL so that should be the OTL Imperial Brazilian flag. (I might have slipped up in a couple of places, of course, in which case apologies.)

Also, that liberalization of the Church is a bit fast for a notoriously conservative organization. Also John Paul I died really quick IOTL, just a couple days after his papacy began, so how do you explain that bit?

I don't particularly agree with that to be honest. The Church's attitudes towards issues like contraception and abortion aren't immutable and a more lax attitude towards both of these hot button issues was eminently plausible. Electing Martini (consistently and well known as a liberal on social issues) as Pope came very close to happening OTL, for example. I also think that a more long-lived John XXIII would have not closed Vatican II early and made the Church very comfortable with the idea of sudden changes, especially on matters of social teaching as against theology.

I would also say that you shouldn't exaggerate the 'liberal' bona fides of TTL's Church: while official teaching is that abortion, contraception and even divorce can be the right thing to do in certain circumstances, these things are only 'allowable' in certain, relatively limited, circumstances.

Catalonia
Preemptive apologies for the quality of the Infobox. The GDP (nominal) sections should read 'GNP' but I couldn't get Wikipedia to let me do that.

* * *​

Catalonia, officially the Kingdom of Catalonia, is a country in Southwestern Europe situated on the Iberian Peninsula. The country is bordered to the west by Spain; to the north by France and Andorra; and to the east by the Mediterranean Sea. Catalonia’s capital and largest city is Barcelona and other major urban areas include Girona, Tarragona and Lleida. The country is officially bilingual, with Catalan and Spanish sharing status, although in recent decades Catalan has become dominant.

Communities in the area that is now Catalonia were initially established as feudal vassals of the Frankish Empire as a defensive barrier against Muslim invasions. They were subsequently united under the rule of the Count of Barcelona in the late 10th century and, in 1137, was united with the Kingdom of Aragon, which in turn united with the Kingdom of Castile in 1469. Catalonia remained united with the rest of Spain for the next four centuries (except for a brief period of independence under French protection in 1641), while Catalan literature flourished and the region developed its own institutional system, including its own courts, legislatures and constitutions.

Separatism grew as part of a long-term reaction against the rationalization of Spanish governance instituted by the Bourbon monarchs since they took the throne in 1714. Desiring to retain their local independence, Catalonia proved a fruitful site for Carlism in the aftermath of the First Carlist War. When a republic was declared in Madrid in 1866, the majority of Catalan elites sided with the relatively liberal Carlist claimant, the Count of Montizón, and declared independence which was accepted by Spain pursuant to the Treaty of Lisbon in September 1870.

In the first decades of independence, Catalonia experienced significant industrialization, which in turn stimulated a cultural renaissance and several workers’ movements in the expanding cities. Under pressure from various popular movements, the King granted a constitution in 1912 that instituted what was, in practice, a parliamentary democracy. Catalonia stayed neutral during the Great and World Wars, although it provided aid to the Allies during the latter conflict. Since 1945, the country has experienced rapid economic growth, drawing many workers from across Europe, but especially from France and Spain, making Barcelona one of the largest cities in Europe and the country a major tourist destination. A second constitution was instituted in 1975, stripping the monarch of most of his residual powers and disestablishing the Catholic Church.

Today, Catalonia is a secular (although predominantly Catholic) and democratic parliamentary monarchy, with King Carlos III as head of state. It is a major developed country and a high income country. It is a member of the United Nations (UN), the International Clearing Union (ICU), the World Trade Organisation (WTO), the World Bank Group (WBG) and many other international organizations. Catalonia also hosts nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites, in addition to numerous other areas of artistic interest.

Catalonia i.PNG

Catalonia ii.PNG
Catalan Kings i.PNG
Catalan Kings ii.PNG

Last edited: