Part 58, Chapter 808
Chapter Eight Hundred Eight

8th March 1950

Near Weed, Rural Northern California

The train was passing through the mountains that marked the border between Oregon and California, after months of working in the mills Alan Jensen had finally had enough. It was telling that even though he was living at his parent’s house essentially rent free he had still been unable to get ahead even after working for months. Then winter had arrived and the work at the pulp mill slowed down. After that he was still living at home and he was flat broke on top of it. Months earlier, his father had suggested that he had three options in Puyallup. Army, Navy or never getting out. Alan had decided that another option was needed.

Instead, Alan had bought a train ticket to San Francisco. He had read an article about jobs that were opening in new fields there and it seemed better than coming home smelling like industrial bleach, which smelled like cat piss only a thousand times worse. If his sister could get out and go on to her new job in Europe, then there to be more for him than joining the military. Having some jackass barking in his ear wasn’t his idea of a fun time. Waking up to see Mount Shasta gleaming in the predawn light had certainly made him feel like he was on the right track.

Wunsdorf-Zossen

“Carrying the bone saw is one of the most important jobs in the Squad” Jost Schultz said with a wicked grin, “Try not to fuck it up like you’ve done with everything else.”

Stefan knew why this had been done, Hans may have relented a little ahead of the scheduled Spring Maneuvers, but Spear Schultz was a different story. The entire Regiment needed to be preparing for that. Spear Schultz had forgotten nothing and was still looking to get even for past slights. He’d had Stefan assigned to be one of the Platoon’s gunners, a backbreaking job that in the event of war had arguably the shortest life expectancy. He could feel the weight of the MG42/48, all eleven kilograms of it on its sling plus the 2500 rounds of 8mm JS he was carrying that was threatening to cause him to sink into ground.

Jost stepped back and addressed the entire Platoon. “The Oberst has also decided that you all will go for a nice walk through the countryside this afternoon.” That was met with groans that were music to Spear Schultz’s ears.

Stefan knew better than to say it aloud but the thought that rolled through his head was “Just shoot me now.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Generaloberst Walter Horst was back, not as a Commander of an Army Corps but as the Inspector of the Panzer Corps. The High Command was looking to have him put his theories along with the lessons of the South African Campaign into practice.

“Still walking Oberstlieutenant?” Horst said to Hans from the passenger seat of his car, “It gives you an odd reputation.”

“Old habits die hard, Sir” Hans said.

“You’ve also managed to get yourself known as a bit of a hardass, always a good thing for an Officer’s reputation” Horst said, “Kicked you’re your own brother’s ass I hear.”

That was not what Hans had been aiming for. “It’s not quite like that, Sir” Hans said.

“Whatever, is the Fahnenjunker around? I’d like to meet him.”

“You mean the Soldat, Sir” Hans corrected.

Horst started laughing at that. “You made your kid brother start from the very bottom? You’re an even harder man then even I imagined.”

That was not what had happened at all and Hans was finding he wasn’t liking how this had worked out.

Essen

“Ilse called” Hilde said, “She wanted to let you know that she made it home safely.”

Kat sat there at the kitchen, they were waiting for Heinrich to get home and join them for dinner. Hilde had insisted that she not help. The girls could do everything, and Kat was still recuperating from a serious illness. She looked at the cup of tea in her hand and wished it were coffee. She had been feeling better, but the Doctors had warned her against complacency. She would start to feel better but if she fell right back into old habits then she would get sick again.

“She understands matters like this” Kat said, “I think she likes that she has someone to call when she gets home.”

“She made it sound like she has a full plate, a major project in Silesia.” Hilde saw Kat wince when she mentioned that.

“That project is going to be Ilse’s undoing” Kat said.

“Really?” Hilde said, “It didn’t sound that way to me, it sounds like an incredible opportunity for her.”

Kat sighed, how to make Hilde understand this.

“Ilse has her difficulties” Kat said, “That project puts her in social circles in Silesia that only accept her because of her personal connection to me and Helene. I fear she’s eventually going to get introduced to someone she’s going to fall in love with and it will all become unraveled because the family of the person she’s in love with will learn too much about her.”

“I don’t understand” Hilde said.

“You heard her talk about how she grew up, how she gets upset if people have a romantic view of her childhood” Kat said, “All around her were cases of abuse and neglect. She mentions terrible things that happened to others. Do you think those things never touched her?”

Kat saw the look on Hilde’s face as she struggled to understand.

“She said that she saw what happened and avoided it if she could. She strikes me as a sensible girl” Hilde said, “Right?”

Kat sighed, she wished with all her heart that that had even been possible. “Ilse was alone from the time she was born, she had no family, no one to protect her. Ilse pretends that a lot of things that happened to her, happened to other people and she embellishes a great deal to obscure the truth because it is incredibly painful.”

Hilde looked at Kat with a surprised expression on her face as she understood what Kat was saying.

It's Deja vu all over again as Stefan gets the "Horst Treatment" and with it being early spring in Germany, that means the ground is thawing out and is getting really deep with mud, all the better for hiking with a heavy pack.

I sincerely hope that the future holds some happiness for Ilse and all the other girls. And I of course hope that Kat gets well soon!

And I love the scene with Horst.:)

Walter Horst is the incarnation of another man I met in my younger days. RSM Blood. His name is a bit of a misnomer because I’m certain there wasn’t a drop of blood in him. Rumour had it even the CO was terrified of him. I know I was ....

I new a RSM once, who would have said that if the CO was not frightened of him then he was doing his job properly. Oh! and his Name was "Cockhead" so to be an RSM with a name like that you new he truly was a 'Tough Nut'.

It's Deja vu all over again as Stefan gets the "Horst Treatment" and with it being early spring in Germany, that means the ground is thawing out and is getting really deep with mud, all the better for hiking with a heavy pack.
Not only that.

Take on account that if Walter Horst says in the next reunion of fellow Generals that Hans it's shaping up to be a "Proper Hardass", included that he made his own sibling start from the bottom.... It means that a LOT of people amongst the Generals will want Hans as an XO now that he "properly shaped as a Officer"..... What means for Hans.... War School..... and a few months of Paperwork and other Horrifically boring stuff that would make you pray for a war.....

Walter Horst is the incarnation of another man I met in my younger days. RSM Blood. His name is a bit of a misnomer because I’m certain there wasn’t a drop of blood in him. Rumour had it even the CO was terrified of him. I know I was ....
He did have blood, yours and countless others who came before you and after you.

Not only that.

Take on account that if Walter Horst says in the next reunion of fellow Generals that Hans it's shaping up to be a "Proper Hardass", included that he made his own sibling start from the bottom.... It means that a LOT of people amongst the Generals will want Hans as an XO now that he "properly shaped as a Officer"..... What means for Hans.... War School..... and a few months of Paperwork and other Horrifically boring stuff that would make you pray for a war.....

Plus he his the brother of She of the Karambit, the son in law of Generalfeldmarschall von Richthofen, he is an highly decorated veteran of three wars : Spain, Second Great War (both European and Asian theaters), and South Africa, he has demonstrated initiative in the last. He knows the brothers Holz, on3 as commander, the other as part of a medical project decades long.

On the minus side, in peace time, the promotions are longer to come, he is born in 1919 and only 31 in 1950. Three or four years in oberstlieutenant and Oberst seems reasonable. Another minus side is Otto, his actions can ruin his son’s career.

And finally, on the social side, he ils born in the popular neighborhood of Berlin, ut part of the Prussian noblesse as Freiherr von Mischner

I suspect it's good for his brother too reputation-wise that he didn't just drift it at a higher rank but properly work(ed) his way up and is someone who's had to deal with KP and grunt work like everyone else. Better understanding of his men if he stays in military and advances, less resentment, and if he doesn't well better contacts and networks with people who regard him as "proper stuff".

Part 58, Chapter 809
Chapter Eight Hundred Nine

17th March 1950

Essen

Kat was running to try to get her endurance back when she noticed that she felt like she was being followed. Tomorrow, Doug was coming from Wunsdorf and they were going to talk about their next move. Ilse had made a point of not talking to her since she had said that she was leaning towards leaving for Canada. The problem was that Kat didn’t know how else to make a clean break from the past. Here, things would just keep happening that would eventually destroy her. Doug had said that while his career was currently here in Berlin, his work was wherever he took his camera. If Kat felt like leaving would save her life, then he was prepared to go with her. At the same time, Kat had responsibilities and people here that she felt like she was abandoning. One way or another, she was leaving Essen in a few days.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she noticed that a man watched her pass by. Something about him raised the hairs on the back of her neck, a feeling she had learned to never ignore. A second and third man stepped in front of her. This was not how she wanted to spend her day. She was going to take Hilde and her daughters shopping later to show her appreciation for allowing her to recuperate in their house while she didn’t feel safe in Berlin.

“The boss wants to talk to you” The second man said.

“Not interested” Kat replied.

“He said to remind you of Werewolf 43B” The man said, “You know what that is?”

Kat’s eyes narrowed, their boss was the last person on Earth she wanted to talk to. “Now I’m really not interested” She said as she resumed her run. He made the mistake of grabbing her arm and she spun into him, breaking his nose with an openhanded strike. The second man was out of the fight, that left the third who came after her. He had seen had happened to his friend and was smart enough to use his weight and reach advantages against her.

Kat sidestepped the first punch he threw and deflected the second. That was when she heard the pounding of footsteps behind her. Getting blindsided by her father in January had been instructive in that it was something she was not going to allow to happen again. The first man caught the heel of Kat’s right foot square to the gut and went down fast. The third threw another punch that she stepped inside of and kneed the man in the groin hard enough to lift him several centimeters off the ground.

That was when she noticed the car pull up and Johann Schultz got out. “I said I wasn’t interested in talking to you” She spat at him.

“Too bad, Kat” Schultz said, and he gestured to the open car door, “Please, except my invitation for breakfast.”

With great annoyance Kat got into the car, Schultz wasn’t giving her a choice in this matter. “You couldn’t afford a better class of thug?” She asked as Schultz sat down beside her. He’d left his men laying in the street, keeping with his longstanding belief that stupidity should be painful.

“You are dressed for a workout” Schultz said, “Admit it, you enjoy kicking the shit out of people, I was just helping you with your daily exercise.”

Kat just shrugged, “Fair enough.”

A short time later, the car pulled in front of a hotel and Schultz led her into the restaurant. Wearing an old Hertha BSC jersey that had once belonged to Hans and a pair of cut off trousers Kat felt very underdressed for this establishment. The Maître d’hôtel proved that point a moment later when he walked up and looked down his nose at her. She figured that she was about to get them thrown out when Schultz spoke up.

“I ran into the lovely Gräfin Katherine von Mischner and she agreed to be my guest for breakfast” Schultz said, “The Emerald of Berlin prefers to keep things informal in the mornings.”

The man looked for a few seconds before he realized that Kat really was who Schultz had said she was. “I’m terribly sorry, Gräfin” He said before he ran off to berate the staff.

“I hate small men” Kat muttered.

“Like physical stature?” Schultz asked.

“No” Kat replied, “Small perspective, small minded, you know.”

“I see” Schultz said, and they sat there in silence until breakfast arrived.

A bowl of Oatmeal and a cup of tea were what was placed in front of Kat. Schultz had made arrangements ahead of time and knew about her health problems. Recovering from a bleeding ulcer and having it seem like everyone knew about it was becoming a serious annoyance for her. At least it was warm and filling.

“I figured that you would probably be tired of hiding at your brother’s house by now” Schultz said, Kat could smell the coffee that he was drinking, it was like he was trying to torture her. “Or at least you would have gotten bored.”

“It’s not hiding if I was trying to recover.”

“Call it what you like” Schultz said, “I was just hoping to talk to you before you quit again.”

“What do you mean?” Kat demanded, “Quit again?”

Schultz snorted, “You’ve quit every single thing you’ve ever started with the exception of your marriage, but that’s still early days.”

Kat was perfectly appalled by what he was saying and his snide nonchalance over the whole thing. Especially, considering that she had in fact given Douglas permission to leave her.

“How dare you…” She hissed at him only to get cut off.

“How dare I what?” Schultz asked, “Point out the truth, that you’ve quit Abwehr, the BND and the SKA. Now it looks like you are about to quit the Federal Police and run out on your commitment to the Heer.”

“It’s not like that” Kat said.

“Is it?” Schultz asked, “Because from where I stand it’s what you’ve done again and again. You are not the only one that this affects.”

He placed a folded piece of paper on the table.

“Something for you to think about, Kat” He said, “It was nice having breakfast with you.”

Then he was gone.

Kat unfolded the paper, it was a copy of a hospital admission form that Schultz had somehow acquired illegally. She read it and her feelings of guilt grew. She had been so absorbed in her own problems she’d neglected her responsibilities. The form was from the day before. Magdalena Foerstner had been admitted to the University Clinic with deep lacerations to both wrists and was being held in the psych ward under suicide watch.

Last edited:
Part 58, Chapter 810
Chapter Eight Hundred Ten

25th February 1939

Berlin

She had been walking across the Moltke bridge looking at the ruins of the Reichstag, a tragedy that she had almost prevented but had failed. The recovery was ongoing, but they were doubtful that the remains of Karl Weise would ever be found. Her friend had gone to his death knowing that his bravery would never be acknowledged. Years later, when then Reichstag instituted the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross they had included a provision allowing it to be awarded posthumously. Oberfeld Karl Weise was first name presented by the Heer and it had been given to his family, but that would not happen for another five years. It struck her as one more injustice among many. Weise would probably still be alive if she had spotted the Frenchman a few minutes sooner.

She just knew that she was hurting, her left ear was ringing again, something that was a distraction. Every time she tried to sleep she saw the dome of the Reichstag consumed by fire. Then the guilt would slam in, she’d almost stopped this. She saw the surprised look on the Frenchman’s face as she shot him. She’d killed that man, something that filled her with profound guilt, she’d broken something inside herself when she had done that. For nothing…

She looked over the railing at the river that was swirling below. She was thinking about how the water might consume her, wash her away, the guilt and pain would be gone. What she’d almost done. She’d almost been the heroine that people imagined her to be.

She’d almost prevented this.

Almost, almost was just never good enough.

Almost…

It was the impact and the shock of the icy water that brought her back to her senses. It had seemed so easy until she was faced with the sudden reality of what she was doing. She had no memory of going over the railing, but she must have. A witness said that she had taken off her coat and climbed over, falling in with a blank look on her face.

The current had grabbed her the instant she hit the water, washing her downstream. She surfaced after what had seemed like an eternity. Sputtering and gasping for breath as her clothes threatened to drag her under again. She hit one of the concrete embankments with bruising force and found herself clawing at it, but her hands were numb with cold and she couldn’t get purchase. In that moment she didn’t want to die as she could feel herself sinking into the river…

A man grabbed her wrist and pulled her to the top of the bank, she vaguely saw the green uniform, heard the whistles and shouting up and down the riverbank. “I got her!” The man yelled.

“What did you do that for?” Kat had asked as the policeman had looked at her with a bewildered expression on his face.

18th March 1950

Leni looked at Kat wide eyed as she told the story of what had happened eleven years earlier. She’d told no one what had happened, not Aunt Marcella, Doctor Holz, no one until now but it felt right to tell Leni the truth here.

Shy, bookish Magdalena, Leni to her friends, was a born romantic in a life with little in the way of romance. More than any of the others she tried to find love and meaning in her life. She was completely unsuccessful on both counts which was very unfortunate. Between her latest heartbreak, the pressures of her studies and learning that Kat might not be coming back Leni had fallen into despair. Kat knew all too well that Leni had probably not even thought about killing herself right up until she found herself cutting into her wrists. With a touch of guilt Kat could see that Leni had cut from the base of the palm of her hands back vertically, the right way to go about doing that if you were intending to bleed out. Kat had inadvertently taught her the way to do that. A Doctor had stitched up the wounds, repairing as much damage as he could, he’d said that scaring should be minimal. Kat knew that the mental aspect was a lot harder to gauge. She knew from her own experience that once you’ve made the first attempt, that the next one became that much easier.

Kat had found herself telling Leni the story of what had happened when overcome with guilt and grief following the Reichstag Bombing she’d jumped off the Moltke bridge into the river. The next day she had met Doctor Holz in what she now knew was an evaluation that might have landed her in a place very much like where Leni found herself. That remained the only time Kat had tried to kill herself directly, there had been plenty of other times that she had thrown herself into dangerous situations not caring if she walked away, but did those count? She’d also neglected her health to the point where she physically collapsed.

“I’m such a terrible example to you and the other girls” Kat said, “This is all my fault.”

They were sitting in a mostly empty room with just a foam rubber mattress on the floor with not even a blanket on it. Nothing that could be used to finish the job Leni started a few days earlier. It was such a depressing place and Leni needed to know that she wasn’t alone.

“Why do think that?” Leni asked, “You didn’t make me do this.”

“I was so wrapped up in my own troubles that I ignored those who I am responsible for” Kat said, “I’m sorry this happened to you, you and the others deserve so much better.”

Leni looked at her, not understanding why Kat felt that way.

Last edited:
Kat should run it by Doug first, but is there any way she could formally adopt the sisterhood as, well, sisters? At least Leni?