Kat needs to get her extended family somewhere secure because she can't count on Pankow-Hinersdorf being safe anymore, somewhere secure like Wunsdorf-Zossen or Judenbach, while the investigation runs its course. She probably ought to include the Sisterhood, too, unless they can stay at one of the palaces guarded by the 1st Foot and 2nd Hussars.

Mental image of a bunch of Bad Guys getting ridden down and slashed to collops by Kurt and his merry men.:)

TBH, I'm expecting a Godfather-style hit montage showing why there are some people you just won't touch. And I would expect it be enacted by the 'Young Yurk's' own side.
Putting a hit on a member of a family group with so many military, political, journalism, law-enforcement and organized crime connections would shine a torch in dark corners where people consider that bad for business. And if you damage business, they will damage your life expectency.

Well @Peabody-Martini , I wanted to introduce someone to this site, and I used your Kat as the temptation. Then I refresh my unwatched threads, and you give us readers another layer of onion to unpeel about her. Well done, P-M. Love your work.

I think folks are missing an important point here. Kat, and most of the family actually are NOT in the position to either prosecute or get officially involved in the 'war' and Kat was rather clear about it. She was going to be VERY watched due to her background itself AND no matter if she was in or out of the actual investigation itself. And that goes for the rest of the family as well but that was NOT supposed to be a public, (and frankly again most of the family will have no clue) 'fact' and that specifically is an issue. This was a shot at Otto. Whoever did this KNOWS Kat is in the spotlight here no matter what and the main reason Kat is kicking herself here is she may in fact have lead "them" right to Joseph. (Probably not but she can't know for sure and frankly she'll blame herself anyway) Otto has a problem now specifically because Kat has been 'involved' in this because now he too will be spotlighted. This isn't a random or spur-of-the-moment thing. The "war" is being kicked off because someone KNOWS where Kat is and what she's doing and has been keeping 'tabs' on the extended family to the point where they know exactly the time to hit Otto, (really, none of the rest "matter" in this) when he can't push back without risking himself AND blowback to the 'family' from higher levels because, by design, the "public" family will NOT be threatened so therefor will have no 'leverage' to use their resources.

if I may quote PM:
“That could get ticklish” Heinrich replied, “If Hans ever meets Joseph then all Hell will break loose.”

They just took the 'choice' out of Kat's hands...

Joseph was 'low-hanging-fruit' but he was the highest level they could reach to hit Otto AND sideline Kat and the official 'family'. This was specifically to put them OUT of the picture and to limit Otto's options and likely it will have worked as planned. It WILL put a 'spotlight' into the dark corners but the people who did this were EXPECTING and PLANNING for it where as most others were not or behind the power-curve and it a twist it's likely that those very 'connections' will badly work against Otto and the family.

Randy
(PS: DAMN GOOD PM! :) )

FBKampfer

Banned
I think what they may perhaps have missed is that, though Otto can be weakened, he can't be eliminated entirely through this campaign. His own assets would be sufficient to ensure he at least retains a measure of soft power (decades of leadership and power do not so easily fade in such circles), and may still have the others believing that, at dire need, he can call on assets from the Heer (let's not forget that Hans' shootout with the Albanians was interpreted as Otto flexing his mussels by putting his own son's squad in the Heer on the job), which would be backed by Kat's position as agent and assassin of the Empress, and his political interference on her behalf (Goebles).

Otto certainly retains the power (or at least the appearance of it) to maintain his own personal safety, and the rest of the Mischner Clan is safe enough under their umbrella of connections and personal reputations for badassery.

Otto may lose a campaign, but it will only be a partial defeat, leaving a reduced, but vindictive enemy. They have forgotten Sun Tzu; the acme of skill is to win without fighting.

And while they may believe they've hobbled one of Otto's (largely imagined) assets, this demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of their enemy, and where his reserves lie. This war will very much be a war, and with their opening move they've violated another one of Sun Zu's tenents; know your enemy.

Victory is yet in doubt, dear padawan.

I think what they may perhaps have missed is that, though Otto can be weakened, he can't be eliminated entirely through this campaign. His own assets would be sufficient to ensure he at least retains a measure of soft power (decades of leadership and power do not so easily fade in such circles), and may still have the others believing that, at dire need, he can call on assets from the Heer (let's not forget that Hans' shootout with the Albanians was interpreted as Otto flexing his mussels by putting his own son's squad in the Heer on the job), which would be backed by Kat's position as agent and assassin of the Empress, and his political interference on her behalf (Goebles).

Otto certainly retains the power (or at least the appearance of it) to maintain his own personal safety, and the rest of the Mischner Clan is safe enough under their umbrella of connections and personal reputations for badassery.

Otto may lose a campaign, but it will only be a partial defeat, leaving a reduced, but vindictive enemy. They have forgotten Sun Tzu; the acme of skill is to win without fighting.

And while they may believe they've hobbled one of Otto's (largely imagined) assets, this demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of their enemy, and where his reserves lie. This war will very much be a war, and with their opening move they've violated another one of Sun Zu's tenents; know your enemy.

Otto's enemies forgot Niccolo Machiavelli's dictum "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Killing one of Otto's illegitimate children uninvolved in the family business is only going to stoke his vengeance. And all of his other children as well.

Last edited:
The murder I suspect a very calculated shot across the bows. He was as others have said a vulnerable target and one the could be “serviced” without attracting the genocidal response coming after one of the more well known siblings would attract. It is notice that they are in “the game” and a player. Very interested in seeing Otto’s response and Kat’s as she and Anton investigate.

I wonder if ITTL's Italian Mafia is the junior player and that the big Three are the German Mafia, the US Families, and the Chinese Triads, with the Italian-US being at a disadvantage. I could see clouds ties between the Germans and the Triads.

I have been wondering why Otto is being targeted at this point in time, I think that it is case of unintended consequences.
With the rail network going from the English Channel to Southeast Asia there is more criminal activity going on.
From the trafficking of heroin from Southeast Asia and Central Asia to the smuggling of antiques from the former Soviet Union, unaccounted weapons from the wars and the procuring of young girls for the brothels of Europe and the cash that is being passed back and forth to pay for all of it, it is all going by rail and everybody is wanting their beak wetted.
You have new crime organizations being formed in the former Soviet Union by Ex-NKVD agents and government officials and they are fighting the established "Families" over turf and access to the railroads and Otto is in the middle of it as the " gatekeeper".

Part 56, Chapter 782
Chapter Seven Hundred Eighty-Two

12th December 1949

Jena

“This is something you should seriously consider” Doctor Holz said, he was referring to the pamphlet in Kat’s hands. The item described was a cupro-silver ring that got quite literally put where the sun doesn’t shine. Kat had been aware of what an intrauterine device was because Gerta had gotten one put in after her daughter was born. This wasn’t the first time it had been suggested to her.

“And unlike with the pill you can’t get stressed out and forget a dose” Doctor finished. That was the somewhat embarrassing conclusion that Kat had reached with the help of Doctor Holz. The most likely sequence of events was that sometime in late May when the personal and professional pressures on her had been highest she’d missed a day. More than likely the day in question was around the time when Douglas had then talked her into a morning romp when she should have been showering and getting ready for work at precisely the wrong time of that month. For some odd reason he was extremely attracted to her when she came in from doing her morning exercise and run. He could also kiss her so sweetly that she didn’t need much convincing to be talked into doing that with him. But for the pregnancy being unviable for some unknown reason she would be seven months along and completely helpless as the face of the events that that were unfolding in Berlin.

“I’ve other more serious problems to consider at the moment” Kat said, “Someone trying to send a message to my father murdered one of my half-brothers last night and I got into an argument with Doug about my efforts to get everyone to relative safety.”

“Why would your husband object to that?”

“It’s the secrecy that bothers him, I don’t want to get him mired in this mess with me.”

“I think you should give him more credit than that” Doctor Holz said, “I’m concerned as well about one of your brothers dying in the manner that you just described. It may have been a message directed at your father but that has to hit close to home for you.”

Kat knew as much already.

“I only spoke with him a few times” Kat said, “He was an extremely private man who wasn’t interested in getting to know me. While I think he didn’t deserve what happened to him, it was like seeing a stranger at any other of the crime scenes I’ve been to.”

“What you intend to do about it?”

“There’s nothing I can do” Kat replied, “I’m not going to be allowed anywhere near this investigation now.”

“Officially anyway” Doctor Holz said, flatly, “There’s no way you are going to able to just let this go after what happened the last time when you got caught in the middle of these matters.”

Kat frowned, there were times when she was aware that he knew far too much about her.

“And make sure that you don’t get so stressed out that you let trivial things slide in the meantime, those can become major problems for you later” Doctor Holz finished. As if Kat wouldn’t know what he was getting at.

Berlin

How did people live in this icy Hellscape?

That was what Nelson thought as he made his way through the front doors of the Berliner Tageblatt, stomping snow out of his shoes as he walked towards the elevators. The whole building smelled of hot metal and ink, the offices upstairs was where the journalists did their work. According to Maria von Holz-Acker, the Features Editor, they were going to close this operation soon and the building was going to be taken over by Der Spiegel, a weekly news magazine that was affiliated with the BT. The journalism was to be moved to a regular office building and a new press that could churn out tens of thousands of newspapers an hour was being installed in a warehouse elsewhere in Berlin. Maria said that it was the end of an era.

The bare-bones elevator clearly reflected the building’s industrial past but was better than having to walk up several flights of stairs. Walking into the bullpen Nelson was greeted by Friedrich Grossmann, the elderly semi-retired journalist had been everywhere in a long life including South Africa. That had included knowing Nelson’s Father. “Ready to start writing for us” Grossmann said, he said that every time Nelson entered these offices, especially after an article he’d written was going appear in the BT with Nelson credited as a guest columnist in the upcoming Sunday Edition. He had detailed the aims of the African National Congress, who they were and what they were about. It had been a bit difficult because he had needed to run that article by the ANC leadership and they had requested several revisions. The conclusion that had been reached was that the ANC needed to shed its revolutionary past and become a mainstream political party. It was as Hans Mischner had said, they needed to moderate their image if they were going to attract the sort of people who had suddenly found themselves upwardly mobile.

“Good that you’re here, Nelson” Maria said as he entered her office. The Features Section was a hive of activity, the rest of these offices might be relatively quiet on a Monday morning, but this place started the next feature the instant the last one ran.

“ASIA!” Maria yelled. The quiet girl who was Maria’s assistant appeared, “The article that Herr Mandela did, did you see where the latest draft went?”

The girl vanished, only to reappear with a copy of Nelson’s article, he noticed that it was covered in writing in red pencil. Suggested revisions. Nelson winced when he saw it. “I’ll need to look at that” He said, “When can I get it back…”

“There’s no time for that” Maria said, “We can find a desk for you to work on that. Good?”
Nelson realized that he wasn’t being given a choice in the matter.

Last edited:
I have been wondering why Otto is being targeted at this point in time, I think that it is case of unintended consequences.
With the rail network going from the English Channel to Southeast Asia there is more criminal activity going on.
From the trafficking of heroin from Southeast Asia and Central Asia to the smuggling of antiques from the former Soviet Union, unaccounted weapons from the wars and the procuring of young girls for the brothels of Europe and the cash that is being passed back and forth to pay for all of it, it is all going by rail and everybody is wanting their beak wetted.
You have new crime organizations being formed in the former Soviet Union by Ex-NKVD agents and government officials and they are fighting the established "Families" over turf and access to the railroads and Otto is in the middle of it as the " gatekeeper".

"You know how much money we can make if we get that Otto character out of the way? I don't think he really has the Heer on the string anymore, if he ever had them. Once we get rid of him we can go after the others."

The thing that no one seems to have realized that assassinating a family member of Gräfin von Mischner, however far removed, will attract a level of official attention unparalleled since the Reichstag bombing. IMHO Otto's best response might be to lay low and investigate quietly and feed information to Kat and Anton for follow-up.

We might still see an SKA heliborne assault or Panzers overrunning a compound in support of the BII.

IOTL the biggest turf wars that the "Five Families" fought over was the New York City docklands and warehouses and later the LaGuardia and Idlewild airports.
With this in mind, having control of the rail network and having other criminal organizations pay a "tax" to use them is going to be the biggest money maker out there and it looks like right now it is the Railroad Union that is exacting the "tax" and maybe the new players do not want to go along with this arrangement.
If it is the Russians who are involved with this and they are Ex-NKVD, they have no love for Kat and is willing to do anything to get at her and it will send a message to the other criminal organizations that they are playing for keeps.
One of the ways they can do this is not to directly attack her but to after her family, and focusing on Otto is just a deception tactic.
Now that Gia has been positively identified as "The Last Romanov" she may be in danger of being targeted for death or kidnapping as that will send a very personal message to Kat that even through it took some time, she could not keep Jehane safe as promised.

The Russians are probably very marginally involved, if at all. It's pretty far from their stomping grounds, and Russia after the regime change is a better target, and that's discounting that they're going to have to fight the local underground. There might be some ex-NKVD who may think Russia is too hot for them and might want to re-profile themselves, but Germany would be a close second for them in risk factor. More likely it's either a German, Czech or Pole. Or Frenchman. Young, intelligent, over-ambitious, ruthless... and short-term thinker.
While family relations with the other side of the law is not what any Mischner would like to be made public, they risk a small scandal, and maybe a slower career progression because of unsavory family ties, while the 'mastermind' risks a discrete but bloody manhunt. It's not like the most public member of that family is famously associated with the Imperial Secret Service (and nobody with half a brain would not think the wet-works department) AND the Reich's black-ops troops. At least Gobbels was a public figure, making it harder to be touched. Our hypothetical too-ambitious Don?
elmerfudd.jpg

So, the old top dog's bastard children are getting murdered in the capital? Based on the MO, my money is on the Lannisters.

How many holding cells does Spandau Prison have?

"We're gonna start at midnight the day after tomorrow. You're number four on the list so it'll probably be about 0100, depending on how much we need to hose down things in between. The blood's pretty easy to clean up but you'd be amazed how much some of you piss, puke or shit yourselves beforehand. "

FBKampfer wrote:

Honestly 'weakened' may be the goal rather than destruction and don't be too sure he can't be 'eliminated' either though I suspect that would be a 'side effect' rather than direct since this an attempt to break the 'lid' Otto has had for decades on things. Arguably this is all it would take as any crack at this point weakens Otto further and gives others ideas which is worse. As I noted this point in time is actually pretty well planned BECAUSE those possible 'assets' are no longer in positions of obscurity and Otto can neither count on nor realistically ask for their help without loosing vastly more than he could possibly gain. And frankly Otto doesn't strike me as the type in any case. The very positions and public attention those 'assets' have now make them worse than useless to Otto while protecting them from any involvement in the conflict.

Actually that might NOT be as certain as that. Yes Otto will have his own resources and defenses AND (as I've pointed out) the Mischner Clan's positions and public profile will allow them to 'safe' but there's undercurrents that at least ONE person noted specifically and afraid that a set of documents delivered to Hans about a certain Joseph, (assuming he doesn't find out through Kat) and as Kat noted he will be out for Otto's blood and damn the consequences. Now granted he has a family and organizational group that will in fact sit on him or lock him in a deep dark cell for the duration if they have to prevent that but conversely if Otto receives information that Hans now knows of Joseph and he now has to seriously worry about another angle of attack from someone he can't really 'fight'. And the 'threat' may be enough to move Otto from 'cover' to a more vulnerable position.

Not really because while it would be nice not to have to 'fight' Otto specifically isn't going quietly into the night and everyone knows it. Partial defeat is likely the 'planned' outcome at any rate as it will still show that Otto isn't as powerful as he once was (or thought to be) and once that seed is planted... Even further, and worse should Joseph's connection come to light to the rest of the family that will cause a further vector for conflict and reduce Otto's 'resources' even further.

Actually the opposite and very much so because the enemy DOES "know" Otto and his situation and this shows a VERY calculated strike at an aspect that was an obvious 'weakness' but may well turn into a fatal flaw. The other question that Aton will of course be asking, and one I suspect Kat knows but doesn't know she knows is who's being groomed to take over for Otto? Who are his lieutenants? (Frankly while Heinrich is in Essen I got the 'feeling' he was much more like Otto than Kat or Hans and that there was a connection there) who are the people that the enemy may want to 'get' to but can't because of Otto's defenses and how much 'attention' can those individuals stand from official sources before they begin to lose credibility and engender suspicion through those 'assumed' connections to official power? Kat's training to be a 'cop' with all that implies and while she may not be at Otto's beck and call as many might assume she could also be a source of information for the authorities on his and allied resources because of her connections. Anton doubtlessly will push any loyalty Kat might feel for Otto, he has to to try and head this off but he has to work from the official perspective and against either side gaining an advantage. The problem for Otto is that even if Kat knows very little about the specifics of his organization she will know 'something' and since the officials will also have more information, and specifically at this point they "know" the identity of only one side, they will concentrate on pushing those connections. And official attention makes certain people nervous casting doubt on the 'wisdom' of allying with Otto and hence weakening his future position even more. If the enemy can cause doubt that Otto's organization has too 'close' ties to official power or worse is somehow dependent on it for 'protection' the community may very well turn its back or worse its power on Otto themselves. The "Shultz/Dewey" scenario works both ways at times.

Victory is always in doubt even after it appears you have achieved it because that is always the best instance to see it snatched from your grasp :) The main point is to have a clear idea of what you will 'accept' as victory and very often is such struggles it will be far less than some would assume. (Not that you'd not TAKE total victory if it came your way and have alternate plans in place it happens but more often than not a 'little' shift in power now will be vastly better in the long run)

Randy

Mkemp wrote:
Otto's enemies forgot Niccolo Machiavelli's dictum "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

That assumes you can get at the 'man' directly which is unlikely. However if you can use a blow to 'cripple' a man enough to achieve a goal and you can survive the retaliation you are advised to take the shot as long as it continues to move things forward to your ultimate conclusion. There are risks in any endeavor, it is how you manage them and when to choose to take higher ones for higher gain that you win.

Killing one of Otto's illegitimate children uninvolved in the family business is only going to stoke his vengeance. And all of his other children as well.

Otto is the kind of man who will tend to quash any challenge with excessive force if he can so ANY blow was going to invite retaliation. Unfortunately for Otto he probably KNOWS who's doing this and how they expect him to react so he can in fact NOT react the way he may want too. ("The obviously easiest and most direct path is always mined" it's a truism :) ) If the enemy knew his connection to Joseph then they probably knew that Kat knew Joseph and therefore the targeting, and timing, was obviously directed in several directions. I don't at all suspect that Kat being in police training was not accounted for and her reaction was frankly everything the enemy could have hoped for. Official attention is not going to be focused on Otto because it is the only 'side' the officials KNOW about. That is going to limit Otto even more. Further, in reality Kat is going to be put into a position where she will have to 'prove' beyond a doubt that she's not in her father's pocket and in such a way that this will be known in Otto's community to so she will be well and truly 'burned' as an implied or possible 'asset'.

Then there's Hans and if he finds out about Joseph which as I've stated I highly doubt is NOT going to happen one way or another. Hans will have blood in his eye and want to go gunning for Otto immediately and the rest of the family will have to sit on him or at least keep him in check. (Though to be honest I don't think it's going to be as bad as Heinrich and Kat think as Hans has matured quite a bit. Oh he'll lay Otto out the moment he sees him but he won't go LOOKING for him, he's now officially NOT worth the effort) At which point ALL the 'soft' support and power that side of the family might have be used for by implication or suggestion for Otto is gone. That side of the family is now so high profile that the 'officials' can NOT allow them to get involved at any level and will have them under a very big magnifying glass. That includes any and all Otto's power and support options, (real or implied) are reduced again as are his options.

While the family 'might' want to get Joseph's 'killer' that in and of itself could (probably will) cause issues especially if the enemy can actually throw clues around that Joseph WAS tied to Otto's activities even if they turn out to be false in the end. Further due to that very heavy 'official' involvement when, (not if) the "killer" turns up and it is plausibly given that it was some minor criminal (expendable) then whether they or he like it or not OFFICIALLY Otto and the family will have to accept that things are 'resolved' and leave it alone. If Kat or someone else from the family gets a "lucky" break it will be officially suspected and marginalized. Unfortunately it HAS to be given who they are and while there are ways around that which I'm VERY sure Anton will be glad to suggest and/or facilitate unless the enemy is VERY stupid... (or 'stupid-luck-and-happenstance' jumps in :) ) there will be enough cut-outs in place to compartmentalize the damage. In the end Otto's power and resources (and options) are reduced again.

Have no doubt that Otto will be out for blood no matter what but his options are significantly limited due to WHO his family has become no matter how that appeared in the past. Since "everyone" knows this about him he can be assured he will no longer be 'below' the radar and everyone on HIS side will know this too. Again, well you get the picture I hope...

This appears to be a very carefully selected and aimed 'targeted' operation designed to get exactly the reactions and responses that will flow from it. I is a calculated risk to reduce Otto to ineffectiveness with the risks that:
1) Otto will throw is organization into a total war against the person he 'thinks' did this, (rather low even if he KNOWS who did it under the circumstances)
2) Kat will go on a vengeance quest dragging in what resources she can (Again low risk given her situation and official positions even if she wanted to which is unlikely given her current career choice. She wants justice not vengeance. No matter what though she and the 'family' are safe at this point due to official interest. This in fact would have been what was planned for I think. If Kat tried this it is clear that the 'officials' will reign her in if nothing else. Very low risk)
3) Otto will accept the current outcome but plan 'vengeance' down the road short of total war (Most likely outcome but Otto has to wait till official attention dies down and there is a high chance that won't ever happen now due to his families high profile. Meanwhile he's been shown to be vulnerable and his resources and support overrated. This is the most likely outcome and probably the one planned)
4) The official attention causes Otto to become vulnerable or exposed and a shot can be taken at him. (High risk/High reward but low probability. Still this will be planned and watched for)
5) Official attention on Otto exposes or threatens "other" organizations allied with or near to Otto's. (Moderate Risk/Moderate Reward as this is probably part of the 'main' plan anyway. While it is possible this can 'blowback' on the enemy in fact the majority of the 'annoyance' will be directed at Otto because his family connections are the cause of this overblown attention. And again as this official attention is now likely never to go away Otto is not marginalized and less feared and/or useful as an ally or enemy due to same. Best but not likely immediate case is all other organizations unite in 'easing' Otto and his organization out of the picture. Best-best case is that Otto takes 'exception' to this and fights back at which point he and his organization are squashed by both sides. Worst case is all cut-outs fail and evidence ties everything to one organization at which point a future 'total war' between that organization and Otto's is pretty much a given. If the enemy isn't prepared for this they would not have kicked it off. Official attention will of course be heavy on both organizations but everyone else will duck-and-cover and wait to pick up the pieces. Call it 50/50 with the 'winner' probably getting taken apart by everyone else once the heat dies down anyway)
6) "Officials" side with Otto and enemy organization is exposed and destroyed. (Worst case and oddly enough a good outcome for the majority as Otto's organization would not survive such 'support' as they will no longer be trusted or seen as part of the 'underworld' anymore. The 'enemy' loses but frankly this gets rid of Otto as well and probably with a bit less collateral damage than an all-out war. Very low probability though can't be discounted.

And on if one really wants to analyze it to death but really there are very few significantly 'bad' outcomes for the 'enemy' here other than those that might occur anytime you poke the bear. If you planned it right you'll generally survive the experience at least the first couple of time...

Randy

There is another possibility: The powers that be tell law enforcement, "I want organized crime in Germany BROKEN. Here's RICO, and it'll be good training for the Abwher to find things out. We can justify that because organized crime deals in information as well as stolen goods. SOLVE this problem."