Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
I am not sure I agree with this statement. It is easy to condemn British imperialism, although rather hard to pin down what and when British Imperialism was. During a long period, the nearest thing to a British policy of Imperialism was its naval, and occasionally military campaign against slavery which at one point consimed as much as 5% of GDP. I would not characterise that as evil. For a good bit of the 19th century it was actually rather hard to get into the British Empire and a number of states were turned down when they applied. The scramble for Africa was a rather unprepossessing, although short period during which at least one territory asked for direct rul by the empire for fear of being absorbed by Sout Africa. Much of the Mddle easter territories were never part of the empire- they were mandates given by an international organisation. Egypt awa in fact a white knight bailout.
Evil? Good? A mixture, with far more shades of grey than most empires in history.

You end up deciding all nation states and people are evil.

How did America treat the indigenous peoples, black peoples during and after slavery?

How are the Chinese treating minorities?

How are low caste and tribal peoples treated in India?

It’s right to point out the faults and flaws of organisations like the BE but let’s not think they are on the same level as Nazi Germany or militarist Japan.

You end up deciding all nation states and people are evil.

How did America treat the indigenous peoples, black peoples during and after slavery?

How are the Chinese treating minorities?

How are low caste and tribal peoples treated in India?

It’s right to point out the faults and flaws of organisations like the BE but let’s not think they are on the same level as Nazi Germany or militarist Japan.
We also need to be careful that we do not get into a political dispute and risk the thread...

What would be interesting is that the Japanese capture Misses MacArthur and Son and treat them like royalty and send them to Russia in a gesture designed to make them look good, while Mac himself is lost in the Jungle literally and figuratively and is not see or heard from till near the end of the War.

I am not sure I agree with this statement. It is easy to condemn British imperialism, although rather hard to pin down what and when British Imperialism was. During a long period, the nearest thing to a British policy of Imperialism was its naval, and occasionally military campaign against slavery which at one point consimed as much as 5% of GDP. I would not characterise that as evil. For a good bit of the 19th century it was actually rather hard to get into the British Empire and a number of states were turned down when they applied. The scramble for Africa was a rather unprepossessing, although short period during which at least one territory asked for direct rulecby the empire for fear of being absorbed by South Africa. Much of the Mddle Eastern territories were never part of the empire- they were mandates given by an international organisation. Egypt was in fact a white knight bailout.
Evil? Good? A mixture, with far more shades of grey than most empires in history.
The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there

Now, if only we could manage to build some tanks in Australia…
My POD for this is The New South Wales railroad company in Sydney starts building Valentines at about the same time as Canadas Canadian Pacific railway starts building them in Montreal

So roughly production starts in mid 1941 with the first serial tanks reaching DUKE forces (initially the 1st Australian Armoured Division in early 1942)

Like the Canadian versions of the Valentine the Australian tank is built using as many locally sourced products as possible

Primary differences are the use of Vickers MMGs as the Coaxial weapon and the engine being a pair of Australian Cadillac V8s for a total of 220 HP

My POD for this is The New South Wales railroad company in Sydney starts building Valentines at about the same time as Canadas Canadian Pacific railway starts building them in Montreal

So roughly production starts in mid 1941 with the first serial tanks reaching DUKE forces (initially the 1st Australian Armoured Division in early 1942)

Like the Canadian versions of the Valentine the Australian tank is built using as many locally sourced products as possible

Primary differences are the use of Vickers MMGs as the Coaxial weapon and the engine being a pair of Australian Cadillac V8s for a total of 220 HP
You really are letting slip the dogs of war, here, aren’t you…

Unless the engineering is really well done the Australian dual engine version may end up with a reputation for unreliability compared to the single engine British & Canadian versions. Or at least requiring much more maintenance to keep the paired engines synchronised

This is more like the sort of thing we should be discussing
1694127951486.jpeg

Honestly I want one of those railway companies to license out diesel electric locomotive production from the US in the early 30s for desert runs. Those big diesel engines would be so useful in a decade's time.