Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
In regards to the consumption of spam, being of the generation that was forced to eat school dinners that were prepared to a WWII recipe book. Along with the other meals that resembled something seen in an Ealing Comedy, we were served spam fritters with mashed potatoes and tinned tomatoes. The other dish that came with tinned tomatoes and mash was steamed cod, note potatoes only came as boiled, mashed and roasted, chips were never seen, and yes we did get curried beef with sultanas and diced apple, on a bed of mashed potato with a side of boiled cabbage. Oh the joys of school meals in the sixties. 😎

I have dim recollection of school puddings - in particular, sponge (that later found use as foam packing) topped with jam and coconut (more desiccated than a pharoah’s REDACTED) swimming in custard. Good times….

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
I have dim recollection of school puddings - in particular, sponge (that later found use as foam packing) topped with jam and coconut (more desiccated than a pharoah’s REDACTED) swimming in custard. Good times….

Custard with a skin that would double up as armour on a Victor........

Its a Tradition when Alan is away

Are you opposing Tradition????????

/s
Would it not be better for all, that if there is a desire to discuss food, that an appropriate thread be opened elsewhere on this forum? Instead of clogging up the thread with posts that have nothing to add to thread?

Hmm. There's a piece in 'The Stage-Management of Battle' chapter of Nigel Hamilton's biography of Montgomery about how Monty's personal teetotal health regime caused awkwardness when he took over 5 Corps, until 'Jumbo' Simpson asked permission to set up pre-dinner drinks in an ante-room to the mess, which Monty was fine with.

In regards to the consumption of spam, being of the generation that was forced to eat school dinners that were prepared to a WWII recipe book. Along with the other meals that resembled something seen in an Ealing Comedy, we were served spam fritters with mashed potatoes and tinned tomatoes. The other dish that came with tinned tomatoes and mash was steamed cod, note potatoes only came as boiled, mashed and roasted, chips were never seen, and yes we did get curried beef with sultanas and diced apple, on a bed of mashed potato with a side of boiled cabbage. Oh the joys of school meals in the sixties. 😎
Sounds like my grand parents.
I don't know of you watched Back in Time for Dinner but I enjoyed watching the foody Melbourne Italian family first squirm then acknowledge devilled kidneys aren't that bad after all.

I am being a very good boy, I haven’t done a two thousand word post on the delights of school dinners in the sixties and early seventies.

RR.
Coming from a childhood in Singapore and with a French mother I rather enjoyed English school dinners of the sixties and seventies. Exotic foreign cooking. Best of all was Gipsy Tart, but I will leave it there.