Simba Roars

18. The Election
Chapter 18

The Election

arizona-senator-john-mccain-speaks-at-republican-national-convention-picture-id78598874

In New York, President John McCain accepted his party's nomination for a second term.

President McCain and his team looked on at the new Democratic ticket with skepticism. Surely, the choice of Landrieu had catapulted Wellstone into a competitive race. States that McCain had expected to win no longer seemed to be safe, but his advisers reminded him that Walter Mondale received the same jolt when he picked Geraldine Ferraro. Then, he went on to lose 49 out of 50 states. McCain scoffed. “Seems ridiculous to pick a woman just for the sake of a short bunch,” he said. Steve Schmidt, however, thought the choice may have been a “game changer.” Landrieu helped to quell some fears that Wellstone was a radical choice. The Republicans knew that they needed to remind Americans about how far-left Wellstone’s policies really were. And that’s how they used the Republican National Convention.

Held in New York City, the event was as much about showing the nation’s strength in the wake of the 9/11 attacks as it was about portraying McCain’s opponent as a radical leftist who could not be trusted to deliver for middle America. In his keynote address, former Mayor Rudy Giuliani praised the “steady hand and even mind” of President John McCain. “We had no way of knowing, in 2000, how particularly suited the man we nominated would be for the moment. He has not let us down. He has risen to the task ahead of him, and America is stronger for it!” he said. “Some have chosen to sacrifice their patriotism in an effort to portray him as out of touch, to say our nation’s response has been weak. I say to you tonight: There is nothing weak about President John McCain and there is no stronger vision for America’s future than his!”

He also went on the attack against Paul Wellstone. “You may have heard our opponents in Boston,” he said. “They made a lot of promises. But can they deliver?” The audience roared a resounding “No!” as Giuliani pressed on. “This is a pacifist whose initial response to questions of force is to roll over. Let us recall the Gulf War – that valiant effort to protect Kuwait. It was, by all accounts, an incredible military success. Paul Wellstone voted no. He does not have the foresight necessary to sit behind the desk in the Oval Office.”

060311_rudy_g_hmed_1p.grid-6x2.jpg

Dubbed America's Mayor, Rudy Giuliani delivered a hard-hitting speech at the Republican convention. Some saw it as a forecast of a 2008 presidential run.

Other speakers criticized other aspects of Wellstone’s domestic politics. The convention emphasized same-sex marriage as a key issue. Wellstone had walked back his support of the Defense of Marriage Act, saying he regretted his vote, and Landrieu had avoided taking any firm stance. In her home state of Louisiana, there was a Constitutional amendment on the ballot to define marriage as between one man and one woman. In his remarks, Vice President Bill Frist was clear: “Marriage between a man and a woman isn’t something Republicans invented, but it is something Republicans will defend.” Though the majority of his speech focused on the health care reform he had delivered through Medicare Part D. He contrasted it with the Wellstone approach.

“Paul Wellstone has a different approach to handling health care. Ours is to bring you into the process. His is to take you out of it. He’ll tax you a bunch, and then you’ll get to wait in long lines, by a state-approved doctor, only to get a diagnosis and then wait in a longer line to get the services you need. WellstoneCare is no care at all, and it certainly won’t make you well!” Frist told a roaring convention hall.

The president’s remarks paid respect to those lost on 9/11, and he highlighted America’s comeback. “On January 20, 2005, I will be sworn-in for a second term at a newly-finished Capitol Building. We have built back our nation, and no terrorist can rob us of our ingenuity, our sense of spirit, and certainly never of our commitment to our democratic institutions!” McCain said. He also reminded the more conservative audience of his tax cuts – promising more – and highlighting his opponent’s record of opposing deregulation. Other highlights included a promise never to “appoint activist judges” and a reminder about his dramatic expansion of school vouchers. He closed with a commitment to win the War on Terror. He seemed, in every way, the president for the national moment.

While the Democrats had narrowed the gap with their convention, the McCain/Frist ticket pulled away again after theirs. A week after Republicans met in the Big Apple, McCain led Wellstone in every major swing state, except for Wellstone’s own Minnesota, and was up by as much as eight or nine points nationally, depending on the poll. Yet, the Democrats remained enthused by their candidate and optimistic about their prospects. Wellstone and Landrieu drew sizable crowds throughout the country. They also enlisted the support of high-profile surrogates, most notably Delaware Senator Beau Biden, who rejected the idea that “patriotism means blind loyalty to the incumbent political party.” Biden introduced Wellstone at a number of campaign events throughout September and October.

republican-presidential-candidate-us-sen-john-mccain-walks-onstage-picture-id83287701

The president's performance in the first debate raised questions about his chances of winning reelection.

The president and Wellstone met for their first televised debate on September 30th at the University of Miami. It was moderated by Jim Lehrer. McCain and Wellstone had a fairly cordial relationship. They’d come to know each other from their time in the Senate, and Wellstone was involved heavily in the passing of McCain’s campaign finance reform, authoring the most controversial portion of the legislation. They had respect for each other, and McCain’s team had not anticipated much conflict. At rallies, Wellstone maintained a generally positive message and made few direct hits at the president. In debate prep, McCain was coached to anticipate a few, lob a few back at his opponent as well but to generally remain above the fray. Had his team known what Wellstone was planning, they may have prepped him differently.

In his opening statement, Wellstone took a giant swing: We have been told that these are halcyon days. That we should be content with the half-measures of a president who focuses so much on angering no one that he sacrifices substantial progress at the door. We need a president who leads boldly, who has a clear vision for America’s future beyond maintaining the status quo. I have a great deal of respect for our president, but when you ask him to articulate how he plans to spend the next four years, his response does not pass muster. Instead of seizing the advantageous situation we find ourselves in, the president has been content to ride the wave first rippled by the American comeback of the 1990s. But there is more work to do. We cannot be content to sit by idly when we could be providing healthcare to the uninsured, addressing the pollution that fills our air and our lungs, and bringing our economy fully into the future. John McCain wants four more years to pass watered-down versions of his last four years. I am offering all the strength I have to lead America into a bolder tomorrow.

As Wellstone had gone second in the opening statements, the president had no time to respond. He did, however, get the first question – about American military involvement in Afghanistan. But Wellstone’s words rang in his head. He fumbled through a response, saying the senator’s comments were “unfair” and didn’t reflect the truth. “I passed the most comprehensive and transformative campaign finance legislation of our time,” the president said. Wellstone interrupted. “I know,” he said. “I wrote most of it.” Had it been a primary debate, the audience likely would have exploded. Instead, they sat in silence as an irritated McCain brushed off the remark.

The president was unable to catch his stride. When he touted his education plan, Wellstone called his plan a “sellout” to those activists who would “turn their backs on public schools in favor of a plan that allows a select few to send their kids off to better ones.” McCain said Wellstone’s attacks were disingenuous, suggesting that school choice helped low-income and minority families the most. “The reality is, Mr. President, you had a choice yourself: Take that money and invest it in schools for all of those families or take the money and give it to some of them. You went with the one that pleased your base. I would have chosen to please those parents.”

When the topic of same-sex marriage came up, and McCain said Wellstone was trying to “dismantle traditional marriage,” Lehrer asked the senator if he wanted to respond. “No, that’s okay. I’d prefer not to dignify the president’s lies,” he said. It was flippant, and the president sensed a chance to draw blood. “I think the American people deserve to know your position on this issue, Mr. Wellstone. You’re running for president. What did you mean when you said you regret your vote for the Defense of Marriage Act?” Wellstone chuckled to himself. “Mr. President, you often preach about the evils of big government – of an overreaching federal government. It seems to me we can let the states figure out what’s best for them here. Or do you prefer a government small enough to not fund our public schools but large enough to barge into a couple’s bedroom?” McCain rejected Wellstone’s insinuation, saying he had opposed the Federal Marriage Amendment. Wellstone had somehow gained the upper-hand on an issue in which he was out-of-step with the majority of Americans. He replied, “So which is it, Mr. President? Where do you stand, because now you seem to be the one who isn’t being clear to the American people.”

OB-BK938_salter_20080512154427.jpg

With reelection in doubt, McCain returned to relying on his longtime advisers Mark Salter and John Weaver.

By the time they left the stage, Paul Wellstone was confident and John McCain was embittered. The candidates’ families joined them on stage and they shook hands one last time, and then they departed. The first words McCain said were to Mark Salter, “Are you fucking kidding me, Mark?” he asked. Once he shuffled into the motorcade, he launched into a profanity-ridden diatribe against his staff. “I got killed out there,” he barked. “I looked like a Goddamn amateur. What the fuck happened?”

The American public agreed. Nearly 70 million Americans watched the debate and the overwhelming majority believed the president had bombed. He was out of practice and Wellstone had thrown him off his game. The momentum again shifted. Wellstone and Landrieu attracted thousands to rallies in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Tampa, and Miami. The polling shifted, too. Wellstone brought the race back to 2-3 points nationally and pulled ahead in some of the swing states. Pundits started to wonder if McCain would win the popular vote by a hair but Wellstone would take the electoral vote. An enraged president felt the election slipping away. And so he changed course.

The president fired Kellyanne Conway, his campaign manager, and replaced her with John Weaver. They dropped the emphasis on social issues – primarily abortion and same-sex marriage – and instead focused on McCain’s record as a consensus builder and pragmatic president. Weaver worked closely with Mark Salter as well, seen as the president’s alter ego, on re-messaging the campaign and the candidate. Conway believed that the president’s decision was an overreaction, pleading with him to focus on driving up support with the base. McCain disagreed. “I haven’t felt like myself this whole Goddamn campaign, I’m tried of it. I’m not going to pretend to be someone I’m not. I won the White House four years ago, and I’ll do it again – as me.”

JOHN-MCCAIN.jpg

The president returned to town hall-style campaign events in an effort to bring back declining poll numbers.

The campaign scrapped a slew of rallies scheduled throughout October and replaced them with the kind of intimate town hall events that had become a trademark of the McCain political brand. He heard from voters directly, loosened up, and performed well in the two remaining debates. He finally felt that the campaign was coming back into focus, and the Wellstone camp noticed. Suddenly their grip on the electoral map started loosening, leading pundits to declare that Wellstone had “peaked too soon.”

In the vice presidential debate, Frist took Landrieu to task for her more conservative policies than her running mate, asking whether she was sacrificing her values for political expediency. It was the only notable exchange in their debate, and Landrieu handled it well. "The vice president needs to regroup with his campaign team. He can call our ticket radical leftists or he can call us wishy-washy moderates, but it is impossible for us to be both," she said. The moderator pressed her to distinguish her views from her running mate's. Landrieu replied, "Paul Wellstone and I do not agree on everything, but neither do the vice president and President McCain. Neither did Reagan and Bush or Kennedy and Johnson. Together, Paul Wellstone and I share a vision for where America can go. I am committed to his core values: healthcare for all Americans and an economy that looks to the future."

There was no October surprise. Some wanted the president to go after Wellstone’s MS in vague references to “fitness” for the job, but McCain refused. First, he didn’t believe in that kind of personal attack. Second, he had his own health problems. Instead, they focused on the idea that Wellstone was an out-of-touch radical liberal who wanted “socialized medicine.” Generally, though, the campaign remained positive. McCain focused on his leadership after 9/11 and his work unifying the nation.

On Election Night 2004, the suspense had dwindled. The feeling in Minneapolis, where the Wellstone camp was meeting, was not as gloomy as the Mondale/Ferraro campaign had been in twenty years earlier, but there was certainly a sense that defeat was on the horizon. The candidate was riddled with doubt – Should he have saved his aggression for the final debate? Had Landrieu undercut his support with the base? Did the campaign invest in the right places? When the votes were counted, McCain had won comfortably. He flipped four states that Gore had carried: Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. Wellstone had flipped three that McCain previously carried in 2000: Minnesota, Oregon, and Wisconsin. Still, McCain’s 2004 victory was more comfortable than his 2000 victory, taking 311 electoral votes and 51.1% of the popular vote. It was no Reagan landslide, but he had unmistakably won.

265-05282013-30001712a.jpg

A disappointed but proud Paul Wellstone conceded the 2004 election to President McCain - dividing Democratic insiders on whether his brand of politics helped or hurt them.

That night, Wellstone conceded the election – taking the chance to praise the “historic nature” of the Democratic ticket. “Let it be known that the better angels in the Democratic Party won this time. We fought for our values and our principles. We nominated, for the second time, a woman of strength and leadership to be our running mate. We met the voters in cities and towns across this land. We talked to them about a better future, and we showed that the Democratic Party is stronger when it speaks to the angst of Forgotten America.”

McCain, speaking at a large outdoor rally in Phoenix, thanked the American people for returning them to the White House with a “resounding display of confidence.” Pundits noted that, compared to 2000, considerably fewer Americans voted for third party candidates – less than one percent. Many attributed this to the blame Ralph Nader received in Al Gore’s defeat and Wellstone’s support among the liberal base. They also noted that McCain’s relationship with both sides of the aisles may have inspired more trust in the two-party system. Both McCain and Wellstone improved upon the popular vote performances of their party from 2000. It was not, however, enough for Wellstone and Landrieu to knock off an incumbent president.

Party insiders were divided within Democratic ranks. Some believed that Wellstone was the only one who could have inspired the higher turnout that helped Democrats flip back the states he did and hold McCain’s popular vote number down in states like Ohio and Florida. Others said his far-left politics had cost them in Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. (Wellstone supporters pointed out that even if that were true, it would not have been enough to win the White House). It was a disagreement that would foreshadow the Democratic strategy for the 2006 Midterms and the race to succeed McCain in 2008. For now, they returned to Washington – again locked out of significant power.

2004 Election Results
Elections in the United States, 2004

United States Presidential Election, 2004

H4R8ag4.png

United States Senate Elections, 2004

Alabama: Sen. Richard Shelby, R def. Wayne Sowell, D
Alaska: Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R def. Tony Knowles, D
Arizona: Sen. Jim Kolbe, R def. Stuart Starky, D
Arkansas: Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D def. Jim Holt, R
California: Sen. Barbara Boxer, D def. Bill Jones, R
Colorado: Ken Salazar, D def. Pete Coors, R (D+1)
Connecticut: Sen. Chris Dodd, D def. Jack Orchulli, R
Florida: Betty Castor, D def. Bill McCollum, R (D+1)
Georgia: Johnny Isakson, R def. Denise Majette, D (R+1)
Hawaii: Sen. Daniel Inouye, D def. Campbell Cavasso, R
Idaho: Sen. Mike Crapo, R reelected
Illinois: Barack Obama, D def. Judy Baar Topinka, R (D+1)
Indiana: Sen. Evan Bayh, D def. Marvin Scott, R
Iowa: Sen. Chuck Grassley, R def. Arthur Small, D
Kansas: Sen. Sam Brownback, R def. Lee Jones, D
Kentucky: Daniel Mongiardo, D def. Sen. Jim Bunning, R (D+1)
Louisiana: David Vitter, R def. Chris John, D (R+1)
Maryland: Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D def. E.J. Pipkin, R
Missouri: Sen. Kit Bond, R def. Nancy Farmer, D
Nevada: Sen. Harry Reid, D def. Richard Ziser, R
New Hampshire: Sen. Judd Gregg, R def. Doris Haddock, D
New York: Sen. Chuck Schumer, D def. Howard Mills, R
North Carolina: Richard Vinroot, R def. Erskine Bowles, D
North Dakota: Sen. Byron Dorgan, D def. Mike Liffrig, R
Ohio: Sen. George Voinovich, R def. Eric Fingerhut, D
Oklahoma: Sen. Don Nickles R def. Brad Carson, D
Oregon: Sen. Ron Wyden, D def. Al King, R
Pennsylvania: Sen. Arlen Specter, R def. Joe Hoeffel, D
South Carolina: David Beasley, R def. Inez Tenenbaum, D (R+1)
South Dakota: Sen. Tom Daschle, D def. Larry Diedrich, R
Utah: Sen. Bob Bennett, R def. Paul Van Dam, D
Vermont: Sen. Patrick Leahy, D def. Jack McMullen, R
Washington: Sen. Patty Murray, D def. George Nethercutt, R
Wisconsin: Sen. Russ Feingold, D def. Tim Michels, R

Previous Senate composition: 54 Republicans, 46 Democrats
New Senate composition: 54 Republicans, 46 Democrats

United States House Elections, 2002

Previous House composition: 231 Republicans, 204 Democrats
New House composition: 238 Republicans, 197 Democrats (R+7)

United States Gubernatorial Elections, 2004

Delaware: Gov. Ruth Ann Minner, D def. Bill Lee, R
Indiana: Mitch Daniels, R def. Gov. Joe Kernan, D (R+1)
Missouri: Matt Blunt, R def. Gov. Bob Holden, D (R+1)
Montana: Brian Schweitzer, D def. Bob Brown, R (R+1)
New Hampshire: Gov. Craig Benson, R def. John Lynch, D
North Carolina: Gov. Mike Easley, D def. Patrick Ballantine, R
North Dakota: Gov. John Hoeven, R def. Joe Satrom, D
Utah: Jon Huntsman, R def. Scott Matheson, D
Vermont: Gov. Brian Dubie, R def. Peter Clavelle, D
Washington: Christine Gregoire, D def. Dino Rossi, R
West Virginia: Joe Manchin, D def. Monty Warner, R

United States Gubernatorial Elections, 2003

Kentucky: Ernie Fletcher, R def. Ben Chandler, D (R+1)
Louisiana: Bobby Jindal, R def. Kathleen Blanco, D
Mississippi: Haley Barbour, R def. Ronnie Musgrove, D (R+1)

And, of course, noticing a slight error in the Wikibox. Minnesota should have 10 electoral votes (it was 9 IOTL because of a faithless elector for Edwards). I will change that soon.

Obama Elected to the Senate
ChicagoTribune.png

Obama Elected to the Senate
BY JOHN CHASE || NOVEMBER 3, 2004

gettyimages-51648529.jpg

(CHICAGO, IL) -- State Senator Barack Obama, 43, was declared the winner of the U.S. Senate Election on Tuesday. He defeated Republican State Treasurer Judy Baar Topkin 54% to 45%. Topkin won the Republican nomination easily after Senator Peter Fitzgerald announced he would not seek a second term last year after pressure from Senator Ray LaHood and Illinois Republicans who felt he was too controversial to win reelection. Topkin, a top Senate recruit, was no match for Obama - the young legislator with a compelling personal narrative who easily won the Democratic nomination. She did, however, keep the race competitive and Senator LaHood was an active surrogate on the campaign trail.

Obama exceeded expectations in Southern Illinois. Many had assumed that more conservative areas of the state would have trouble electing an African American to the Senate. Such was not the case. He performed as well as most Democrats do in the more conservative parts of the state.

At the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston, Obama introduced Delaware Senator Beau Biden. Biden, the son of the late Senator Joe Biden who died in September 11th, gave the Keynote Address at the gathering in Boston. Obama paid tribute to Illinois Senator Dick Durbin, also a victim of 9/11, in his remarks to the Convention. His three-minute introduction was appreciated by party insiders and the delegates on the floor. Topkin criticized Obama, saying that he was spending his time trying to become a "national celebrity" instead of focusing on being a good senator for the people of Illinois. The controversy did not resonate with voters.

In his remarks Tuesday evening, the senator-elect was very much focused on the issues facing the people of Illinois. "We will not be measured by the margin of our victory," he said, "but we will be measured by whether we are able to deliver concrete improvements to the lives of so many people all across this state." He focused primarily on the issue of health care in his remarks, just as he did on the campaign trail. It was a message that coincided well with Democratic presidential nominee Paul Wellstone, who won Illinois as well but failed to defeat President John McCain.

The president called Obama upon his victory to congratulate him, as he did all of the newly-elected U.S. Senators. He also called Topkin to congratulate her on a hard fought race and to encourage her to remain active in Illinois politics, saying the party "needed her," according to a staffer on Topkin's campaign.

Obama will become the sixth African American senator in history. For the first time, two African Americans will serve concurrently in the Senate. The other is Harold Ford, Jr. of Tennessee. Ford is seen as a potential presidential candidate in 2008.

Who Will Break the Glass Ceiling?
Vanity_Fair_logo.png

Who Will Break the Glass Ceiling?
BY MCKAYLA MCGIBBONS || DECEMBER 2004

Hillary%20Rodham%20Clinton_2004.jpg
Elizabeth_Dole_official_photo.jpg
Mary_Landrieu_official_portrait.jpg

HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON has been the presumed first woman president since she announced her campaign for the United States Senate in 2000. She chose an adopted home state - New York - that was rich with delegates and electoral votes. It also represented a sort of amalgamation of the country. During her bid, she campaigned in rural Upstate New York and population centers like Albany and New York City. She fared well, and she has earned a reputation in Washington as someone who puts her head down and does the work. Whether the same would be expected of a man is for another article to delve into, but nonetheless Clinton has put concerns that she was a showboat at ease. Her decision to skip the 2004 election, a good one in hindsight - given the president's comfortable victory - suggests the same keenly aware political instincts that launched her husband from Hope, Arkansas to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Most assumed that her pass in 2004 was to give her even more credibility heading into the 2008 presidential election. She will be up for reelection in 2006, which she is expected to win easily. It will give her the chance to raise considerable cash without having to spend it. It will also put at ease concerns that she used the Senate only to pursue the presidency. She'll be on her way to 12 years in the institution. Party insiders believe she has a strong chance at winning the nomination. There seems to be no clear alternative to her. At least there wasn't - until Paul Wellstone named his running mate.

ENTER MARY LANDRIEU, the former United States Senator from Louisiana who the 2004 nominee plucked to be his running mate. Unlike Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, there was not the sense that Landrieu was chosen because of her gender. Instead, Wellstone saw something else in her. Had he known he would be choosing the presumptive nominee for 2008, Wellstone may have chosen someone else more in his image - perhaps Senator John Edwards of North Carolina. Instead, he chose Landrieu, who was viewed with suspicion within the campaign at first until she was praised for a strong campaign performance. She held her own against Vice President Frist in their sole debate, and she attracted crowds and favorable media attention wherever she went. While not the most charismatic politician, there was something to the historic nature of her candidacy that compelled people to go out and see her.

Again, Landrieu may have been the beneficiary of sexist notions about women in power. She was seen as quieter, calmer, and more level-headed than her male running mate. Wellstone was boisterous, an ideas man, a visionary. Landrieu was seen as a doting vice presidential contender, and while those perceptions may have been stereotypical, they ingratiated her to some voters - the kind of voters who may be uneasy with a woman in control but were comfortable with her role as a quiet adviser. Landrieu emerged from the 2004 election with the respect of her party and the American public.

The question now becomes whether or not she and Clinton will collide in the 2008 election. Both Clinton and Landrieu have seemed to read the political moment. Once seen as a liberal advocate for healthcare and women's rights, Clinton has modified her tone in the Senate - reaching out and working across the aisle. In the wake of 9/11, she took a hardline on the War on Terror, and has heaped praise on President John McCain's handling of the response even as some Democrats say he is no longer focused on finding Osama bin Laden. She has not joined the chorus of Wellstone or Senator Russ Feingold who have lamented the "loss of civil liberties" in the name of security. Instead, she takes a hardline message about keeping the nation free from further attacks and adds in a comment about "Congressional oversight" of the McCain administration.

Landrieu, too, is within the center of the political spectrum - certainly more comfortably than Clinton is. While her record on environmental issues will rile some in the party - and leave her vulnerable to losing votes to the Green Party candidate should she be nominated - she voted mostly in line with Clinton when they overlapped in the Senate. On the national campaign trail, she felt the freedom to move toward the left on some issues, where she may have been personally, even if she hid those aspects of her record to appeal to her red state constituents. In a Clinton vs. Landrieu primary, the liberal base would certainly be wanting, but after Wellstone's defeat, some are wondering if that's a good thing. One will never know if the more centrist Kerry could have taken enough votes to beat the president. It certainly seems unlikely. But it is probably the Clinton campaign will remind everyone the last type of Democrat to win the White House - a Clinton Democrat. And the Landrieu campaign will likely respond in kind that it was a Southern Democrat who won the White House. Not a New York liberal. But Democrats aren't the only one with a history-making candidate in the wings.

ELIZABETH HANFORD DOLE, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, is on her way to a promotion. Dole will serve as the 2nd Secretary of Homeland Security - a job she is particularly suited for given her past experience at the American Red Cross and her time working on diplomatic issues in New York. She is the wife of a former presidential candidate herself, and she and Clinton were contrasted with one another throughout the 1996 campaign. TIME noted Bob Dole's insistence that while his wife would be an outstanding First Lady, she would not be leading major policy initiatives on behalf of the Administration. But not because she's incapable. Within the White House, Dole has become a trusted voice. She is seen as a reasonable mind when the tempers of Secretaries Lieberman and Powell boil over. McCain reportedly considered making her National Security Adviser, and Dole's work in the UN on cybersecurity has been seen as groundbreaking and forward-thinking.

Of course, to win the Republican nomination she would need to beat Bill Frist, the Republican vice president, and Rudy Giuliani, the former Mayor of New York City. A poll released last week showed Giuliani with a slight edge over Frist. Within the Democratic nomination, Clinton held a respectable but by no means certain lead over Landrieu and 2000 vice presidential candidate John Kerry.

There is, for the first time, the palpable sense that America is on the verge of shattering the glass ceiling. Dole said she hopes that is the case. "I think it'd be a great thing for our country - to see a woman president," she said in a sit-down interview. "I think we're going in that direction. But I also think it's important that woman be elected because she's the right person for the job." She continued by praising the McCain administration's work on supporting women Republican candidates, and she pointed to her own appointment as an example. "There are some who would say a woman can't handle national security issues. She can't handle terrorism. Our president knew that wasn't the case. I'm honored he's tapped me for this new role."

She also said that she had "great respect" for Clinton. "I think she's done a fine job of representing her state. Of course the issues her state cares about are not always the top priorities for Americans in the Heartland. I think of Kansas - where Bob and I still have a home. It's hard to see her winning in a state like that, but I think a woman who shared the values of Kansans could, absolutely. Hillary is doing what she needs to do for her state, and I have great respect for that. She has a favorable reputation here in Washington. She's a worker. I've always admired that about her."

Dole refused to comment on the 2008 presidential election, but said she enjoyed her campaign in 2000. She was born in 1936, meaning she'd be 72 years old on Election Day 2008. She's the same age as President McCain. If she won, she'd be the oldest person elected to a first term. She said her age is "just a number." "I'm not old!" she laughed. "I'm the same age as the president, and we get along just fine. Now, I'm excited for this new opportunity - to be Secretary of Homeland Security - and I will continue serving my country as long as I can in whatever capacity I can, and I expect I have a great many number of years left in me."

LANDRIEU HAS INDICATED she's interested in a presidential bid. While those in her inner circle say she was originally planning for a 2008 rematch against Senator Suzanne Haik Terrell, the exposure from her 2004 campaign has made a presidential bid possible. "She's thinking about it," said one close adviser. Landrieu herself says it is "not a priority."

"I am deeply honored that Paul chose me to be his running mate. Whether we were campaigning in Pennsylvania or Ohio, Oregon or Washington, I had a fantastic and humbling experience - meeting voters, talking about the issues facing our country, and supporting Paul's vision. John McCain has four more years to deliver for the American people, and I think the best thing I can do right now - in my capacity as a leader in our party - is hold him accountable. I want to make sure he delivers on the promises he made," Landrieu says.

She says that she and Hillary Clinton are "friends," but that her decision to jump into the 2008 campaign - or stay out - will not be influenced by Clinton's. "I think the idea that only one woman can try and be president is a false narrative. If two men can run in the primary, then two women can run. I believe that," she said.

IN WASHINGTON, CLINTON maintains that her focus is on New York. "You know, I stayed out of the 2004 race for a reason. My heart is in New York. My state is still coming back from the tragedy of September 11th. We have a lot of issues that need my attention, and they have it. I'm going to run again in 2006. Once I get through that, then I'll decide what I'm going to do, but my absolute focus is on New Yorkers - on doing for them what they need to be done."

When asked about Landrieu's 2004 candidacy, she said it was "a remarkable sight." "I was so proud of Mary, whom I'm friends with, and it was incredible to once again have a woman on the ticket. I remember when she got announced, I called Gerry [Ferraro] right away. I said, 'Gerry, can you believe it?' and Gerry was tearing up a bit - I could hear it. She said, 'It's incredible. I'm so delighted.' And we really were. We hosted Mary for a few fundraisers during the campaign, and I was so excited to campaign alongside her in Pennsylvania and Michigan. I think she did a terrific job, and she really proved that a woman can handle the job - just as Gerry did."

FERRARO SAYS SHE is looking forward to saying, "Madam President" in the near future. "I have a lot of energy," Ferraro says, just a few years after publicly announcing she is battling a rare blood cancer - multiple myeloma. "I badly want to see a woman president in my lifetime, and I think I will. I really think I will - that's the remarkable thing about it. I know it'll be Hillary or Mary, and I'm very good friends with Hillary, and I got to know Mary very well over the past few months. Both of them would make a terrific president. Just terrific." She refused to say whether or not she had a preference between the two, saying she rejected the idea that it had to be one or the other. "They will make their decisions independently, I am sure, and then we'll go from there."

Either way, she anticipates being involved in the 2008 campaign, mostly in a fundraising capacity. She seconded Landrieu's nomination at the 2004 convention. Her remarks were brief but inspired the delegates. It was the largest role Ferraro has had in national politics since her 49-state loss to the Reagan/Bush ticket in 1984.

WHOEVER BECOMES THE first woman president, they will have each other to thank. Clinton's historic tenure as First Lady revolutionized the way people viewed women in politics. Dole's 2000 campaign and Landrieu's 2004 nomination both helped the American public see women at the highest levels of national politics. And, of course, Ferraro's own candidacy in 1984 was the very first - and it taught the media and the populace valuable lessons about how women were unfairly treated in the process. In 2008, we will see if America has learned its lessons.

Great election chapter John won now he can be a full maverick

Great? It broke my heart :(

Such is the catharsis of effective story craft.

Given than the fallout from 9/11 practically made 2004 a khaki election, Wellstone exceeded expectations, but in a way that felt plausible.

Last edited:
Great? It broke my heart :(

Such is the catharsis of effective story craft.

Given than the fallout from 9/11 practically made 2004 a khaki election, Wellstone exceeded expectations, but in a way that felt plausible.

What it could plausibly mean is a progressive movement that gets a super-charged jumpstart on its ground game. The first post-millennium stirrings of progressive organization IOTL came from Howard Dean’s camp following a failed primary campaign. Here instead, we should be seeing progressive organization begin from a failed general election campaign, meaning the progressives likely have their hands in a much broader cross-section of Democratic spaces.

The founding of Democracy for America as an engine for progressive recruitment and Dean as the DNC chair managing the 2006/2008 waves is the OTL baseline; it would be not unreasonable to expect something beyond that, with the Wellstone camp all over the national Democratic Party organization.

I also wanted to say something to critics of the Wellstone/Landrieu ticket. You maybe forget, we haven’t had Cheney and the media narrative of the supersized veep here. We haven’t had the media narrative of Palin incompetency doom. And we haven’t had the paternalistic (i.e. kinda vvv lightly racisty) “the experienced Biden will watch over our young Paduan president” narrative.

As far as I can see, the VP spot is still very much serving it’s traditional role of throwing a bone to the “other guys” in the big tent coalition. This is a tradition that goes back from Reagan to Kennedy to FDR to McKinley to Lincoln to, in spirit, even the first handful of presidencies.

It’s only with the more recent trend of ideological flattening within the GOP and the even more recent (and perhaps overblown) rift between the two camps of the Democratic Party that we see ticket after ticket for the past few cycles of very similar prezes and veeps.

Election turned out broadly as expected with a McCain victory, although having a Progressive at the forefront might mean something interesting further down the line. What is going to be interesting is to see how the second term is going and if McCain is going to see anything like the knockbacks Bush himself got in OTL.

Exceptional writing as usual, Vidal, though I thought McCain should have won Wisconsin rather easily.

Regarding the down ballot races, I had a suggestion, might Pat Toomey have beaten Arlen Specter in the GOP primary due to Conservative dissatisfaction with the Moderate incumbent? In OTL W barely rescued Specter from defeat, likely due to his stronger conservative gravitas than this TL's McCain. This could open up the possibility of Specter serving as AG in McCain's second term, as well as highlight the theme of alienation felt by the right wing of the GOP that will likely become apparent quite soon.

Additionally, I strongly believe McCain's winning the GOP nomination in 2000 would have butterflied Governor Mel Carnahan's death during the 2000 MO senate race. Is he currently serving in the senate? If so he could be a strong contender for the VP position in 2008.