Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So a thought just occurred.In OTL 1981 was around the time that AIDS was first noticed.Since it likely had African origins could a certain sort of poetic justice be in the offing for the Drakia in the long run considering the crime against humanity they have committed with their release of created diseases ?

Last edited:
So a thought just occurred.In OTL 1981 was around the time that AIDS was first noticed.Since it likely had African origins could a certain sort of poetic justice be in the offing for the Drakia in the long run considering the crime against humanity they have committed with their release of created diseases ?
That would be nice but AIDS might have been butterflied away...

Well thats possible but ittl it could also be something worse...
Well yeah, they'd sure engineer it once they'd found it.

Would they even stop at Stone Dogs? Are they deeming the Dragon Nest as enough? There are some nasty ways that the transmission of such a nasty disease can be utilized and I don't like the things that I've came up with.

Please kill me.

I just noticed something (not related to the story): since my post in the 29th september, we had 55 more pages in this thread! (53 before november) 😲
It's crazy how much we talked in october...

xsampa

Banned
To what extent is English a lingua Franca in SE Asia since the region was puppetized/ruled by the British and seems to be a neutral choice for Indonesia, Borneo etc?

To what extent is English a lingua Franca in SE Asia since the region was puppetized/ruled by the British and seems to be a neutral choice for Indonesia, Borneo etc?
Philippines seemed to be the Mexico to Indonesia's Anglosphere.

Japanese, though, can also have quite a legacy in the region considering that it's once the hegemon for quite some years, to say nothing of the peacetime and wartime years that preceded it.

On March 1, 1982 (or just before the mass dyings from the Stone Dogs begins), how many people have died from the Final War so far?

On March 1, 1982 (or just before the mass dyings from the Stone Dogs begins), how many people have died from the Final War so far?
Well, the last update said 8-digits, which is anywhere from 10m to 99m deaths, which I guess is mostly civilian casualties from orbit and aerial bombardment using chemical and biological weapons.

Using the numbers given for total world population and the dice rolls, Stone Dogs and knock-on effects should end up causing 1,2-1,4 billion deaths, again probably primarily civilian.

This is a horrible mass-death scenario, that would scare the world for decades to come, regardless of which, if any, side emerges victorious.

Last edited:
Well, the last update said 8-digits, which is anywhere from 10m to 99m deaths, which I guess is mostly civilian casualties from orbit and aerial bombardment using chemical and biological weapons.
I wouldn't be surprised if Japan, even before the Stone Dogs ravaged their country for failing to take into account vaccines, probably has suffered the most of any country from China nuking them in addition to chemical weapons.

I wouldn't be surprised if Japan, even before the Stone Dogs ravaged their country for failing to take into account vaccines, probably has suffered the most of any country from China nuking them in addition to chemical weapons.
At the risk of repeating myself, I think this is applying an OTL-view of nuclear weapons to this timeline.

The nuclear bombs that Free China (apparently the unlikely hero of this story) are using ITTL are quite small (12-18kt) and rather few (ca. 100) compared to OTL, where Russia and the USA in the lastest START treaty have agreed to limit themselves to some 1.500 weapons each averaging 2mt. In other words, the global arsenal of nuclear weapons ready to be deployed OTL is currently around 6 gigatons, which is 4.000 times more destructive power than what Free China has ITTL. During the height of the cold war, OTL Soviet Union and the USA probably had some 30-60 Gt or 20 to 40.000 times what Free China has.

ITTL, each side had orbital kinetics, where the built-up arsenal had 6-7 times the destructive power of nuclear. Thus in this scenario, nuclear is just one horrible weapon out of many, and not as in OTL, the supreme WMD - or at least that is my reading of the situation.

Thus, while Japan is probably suffering heavily, then there is a chance that France, Germany or maybe even Central America might be worse off. And Japan has very likely made China pay heavily with biological and chemical attacks against Chinese cities, which given that China was not part of AfD could have meant that they had slightly fewer preparations for such attacks. The Japanese junta likely sees themselves as winning at this point.

Anzû

Gone Fishin'
So do the Drakia use Janissaries or something similar? Because I've wondered how you could make a serf army without them turning on you.

Consider Sepoys and Askari. They depend a lot on Nationals and Princely States who are willing to fight for them because Drakia elevated them over the Bonded, and because they are now enemies to the Bonded. Pads their numbers a lot.

As said they're used in non combat roles. But they could be used in combat too. Being isolated (chain of command talks, you don't) means you're effectively outnumbered even if you're not actually. Then the aircraft, tanks and artillery are Nationals or Citizens.

It's also hard to desert or surrender when you're in high intensity combat and your side is fighting, or when you're not close to the front.

You can't leave Bonded to hold a quiet part of the line, they'll melt away. Urban combat, similar. Tell them to be a rearguard and they'll surrender en masse. But you can use them to occupy areas depending*, and you can mass them as the first wave in an all out assault, and send them into meatgrinders.

There will be desertions no matter what. But they won't be capable of mounting an effective fight back because they're isolated, unequipped, low morale. The AfD would get deserters, but these are undertrained riflemen without a language in common who need to be fed and equipped. To the Draka that's probably worth having a screening force to eat mines and guard prisoners.

*occupying a place like or close to their home would see them melt and join the partisans, but some European place, not so bad

Deleted member 96212

Thus, while Japan is probably suffering heavily, then there is a chance that France, Germany or maybe even Central America might be worse off. And Japan has very likely made China pay heavily with biological and chemical attacks against Chinese cities, which given that China was not part of AfD could have meant that they had slightly fewer preparations for such attacks. The Japanese junta likely sees themselves as winning at this point.

Disagree. Japan got hit with over three dozen nuclear weapons, which even accepting that the payloads aren't in the megaton range, I'm guessing at least a million people were killed total (OTL Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused about 200,000 deaths), much of the leadership has been decapitated, radiation is going to ruin crops for years to come, and on top of that Japan was surely hit with large amounts of conventional weapons and "normal" biological agents. This isn't even getting into the poor Stone Dogs roll.

Disagree. Japan got hit with over three dozen nuclear weapons, which even accepting that the payloads aren't in the megaton range, I'm guessing at least a million people were killed total (OTL Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused about 200,000 deaths), much of the leadership has been decapitated, radiation is going to ruin crops for years to come, and on top of that Japan was surely hit with large amounts of conventional weapons and "normal" biological agents. This isn't even getting into the poor Stone Dogs roll.
Well, I agree that Japan is a likely candidate for being "worst off" as of March 1982 ITTL, i.e. before Stone Dogs really hits. I am just not sure.

However, I doubt that the leadership has been decapitated. The nuclear bombs are "only" 3-4 stronger than the orbital kinetics that was expected, and this is a grim world that looks at OTL 1960-bunkers thinking "amateurs!" Either Japanese leadership is making a deliberate example of being willing to die along with everyone else (which may not be totally unrealistic given that this is a resentful militaristic Japan we are dealing with) or they are tucked safely away in underground bunkers designed to survive WMD attacks.

Also, long term radiation effects from those two bombs OTL seemed to be small in comparison with the direct deaths. The Japanese government OTL recognized some 650.000 被爆者 (literally"explosion-affected people") from the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but only around 1% of them have ever developed any illness caused by radiation. In fact, it might be argued that the biggest negative effect on survivors in the vicinity of the bombings was the fear that other Japanese had of them being affected by radiation (in terms of causing birth defects and radiation being contagious). Even with 40 Hiroshima bombs, we are still only talking a fallout effect 10 times less than Chernobyl and roughly the same as Fukushima - and the latter did definitely not cause mass starvation in Japan or "ruin crops for years to come".

So, yes, Japan has probably suffered losses of 1-2% of its population. Still, other nations might be higher. Depending on the success and heavyhandedness of the invasion of Centroamerica and subsequent occupation, you could easily get above that.

Edit: I forgot to add, according to the climate models, that I know of then the nuclear bombs will in conjunction with the orbital kinetics and other bombs very likely push enough soot (5-10 mt) into the atmosphere to trigger a temperature decrease of 1-2 degrees C (more in the midwest and central Euroasia, less on the coasts), or about a 20% reduction in crop production. So yes, we will likely have a starvation scenario, but Japan is among the least likely to hit by that.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
So I have discovered this authors other WW3 epic on this site. I would ask on that thread but its long dead.Who are the combatants in that version of WW3? I assume all those nukes hitting the US in 2034 were Russian or Chinese but is that confirmed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.