Run First

Canada update on the way

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty
OK, I'm procrastinating on Canada further, but this update is very important

"In New York, Representative Gary Ackerman defeated incumbent Senator Al D'Amato.

"In California, Representative Howard Berman defeated Representative Robert Badham.

"In Pennsylvania, Representative Joseph Gaydos defeated incumbent Senator Arlen Specter.

"In Wisconsin, Representative Jim Moody defeated incumbent Senator Bob Kasten.

"In Oregon, Vera Kratz defeated incumbent Senator Bob Packwood.

"In Florida, State Senator Harry Johnston defeated incumbent Senator Paula Hawkins."

OK, thanks for your help everybody here is the final list of candidates:

Howard Baker

Don Nickles

William Roth

Jay Hammond

Richard Riley

Howard Berman

Henry Cisneros

Ed Markey

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty One
"Mayor Cisneros knows the struggles of the working class, he has fought for the working class, and he will continue to fight for the working class!"

-Ron Dellums (1987)

"The latest poll, for the Democratic Party, has given Henry Cisneros a lead of four points ahead of Edward Markey."

-Peter Jennings (1987)

CHapter one Hundred and Sixty two
"Senator Berman, some of your opponents in this primary have pointed out your conservative stances, at least in relation to theirs--do you have a place as the Democratic Party standard-bearer?"

"Yes, I do, and I think that's because I've made it a point of mine to work with my colleagues--whether to my left or to my right or so forth--on any issue. My platform is one that can and will encompass the views of all members of this Party--that's a promise."

-Howard Berman (1987)

"Governor Hammond, how would you characterize your vision for the Presidency?"

"I think mine is responsibility--you see, I believe that any government that is successful in carrying out it's basic duties must be able to balance the budget, and that's something that still has not been done--and who's paying for it, but the taxpayers. Its wrong, and I intend to correct this failure!"

"Senator Roth?"

"Well, look, I believe in responsible governing just as you do. This can be done by cutting taxes and the people will have more freedom--"

"I'm tired of you thinking that cutting taxes is the best solution--"

"Excuse me, I--"

"We need to cut spending before we cut taxes--we can't just cut taxes and hope that there'll be more money coming in! It's irresponsible!"

-Jay Hammond (1987)

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Five
Who did Buckley appoint to succeed Chief Justice Burger and Justice Powell?

Fredric W Allen for Burger

---

"In Kansas..."

-Tom Brokaw (1988)

Jay Hammond: 27.65%

Howard Baker: 26.77%

Don Nickles: 23.48%

William Roth: 22.10%

"In Iowa, the Republicans..."

Jay Hammond: 28.69%

Howard Baker: 28.24%

Don Nickles: 22.96%