Run First

Chapter One
"It was doubtful many people would have heard of Mr [Yuri] Orlov beforehand. However, being the founder of an Amnesty [Int.] group in Moscow, his death (while 'unsolved' at the time) forced the attention of his colleagues in Paris, who in turn forced the attention of Washington..."

-Gabriel Kolko (1997)

"So it was Orlov's death which stopped you from going to the Conference at Helsinki?"

"Well, it certainly caused a-well, 'storm' in the press-of course, it wasn't his [Gerald Ford] domestic concerns, but we could not go to a talk, on this size, with [Leonid] Brezhnev when a member of one of the world's most prominent human rights group was killed-"

"By the security services?"

"Them, or some member of the Militia. Frankly, I just thought about moving it down, but there were too many additional concerns as a result. So, we skipped it-the French, the British skipped it."

-Henry Kissinger (1983)

"I have thought about this a lot-with my wife, Nancy, with my children-and on my own, as well, and I have decided to lay to rest any speculation about me running for President next year."

-Ronald Reagan (1975)

"Without Reagan, or someone like [John] Tower, a Conservative challenge against Ford was put aside-well, there was Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, but he was never taken seriously, and quit after North Carolina to pay off more than $500,000 in [campaign] debt."

-Charles C W Cooke (2017)

"The Republican [National] Convention proved to be, for the most part, uneventful. Despite some attempts by delegates from California to draft Governor Reagan for Ford's running mate, Vice President [Nelson] Rockefeller won that nomination overwhelmingly."

"The highlight of the Convention, other than the President's speech accept the nomination, was the address given by Jim Buckley-Senator, brother of commentator Will Buckley-where he promised to pay $10,000 to anyone who could bring him a 'Democrat who knows how to spend his own money.'"

-Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather (1976)

"We thought we'd win with 50 states-or at least, every state outside of the Plains-but then there was the whole 'adultery' crap. We won, but it was close, we really thought at one point we were going to lose. Ford carried Wisconsin, but we were only a few hundred votes behind in that state."

-Hamilton Jordan (1987)

"The Republicans are coming back from `76, so there are a lot of people entering the race-John Connally, Governor, Kennedy assassination survivor, Treasury Secretary. Bob Dole, war hero, respected Congressman and Senator. George Bush, Congressman, China Envoy, UN Ambassador, CIA Director.

"But, while a lot of people won't admit this, there's a clear front-runner in this race. He's been building up for it these last nine years, and pretty soon people are going to pretty much agree-he's going to win..."

-
Pat Buchanan (1979)

Last edited:
Thank you! The change was Ford managed to carry his home state
Ford did carry Michigan OTL
800px-ElectoralCollege1976.svg.png

You could switch Wisconsin and Hawaii. Both were very close

John Chafee be a good idea if you want a Rockerfeller Liberal Republican, War Hero,well respected and cabinet experience

In NdfA I had Connally get it, though that was after Reagan lost in 1976. Connally would be good, maybe Jack Kemp. Or someone else entirely...

Deleted member 9338

I would like to see the young Congressman Jack Kemp

I'm assuming that Buchanan's quote implies that the person was elected in the 1970 mid-terms. I'm going to guess James Buckley, as his convention speech gives me some foreshadowing info who it's going to be. Buckley is a really interesting figure, I wonder how this TL will go. Or I could be completely wrong. :p

Chapter Two
I'm assuming that Buchanan's quote implies that the person was elected in the 1970 mid-terms. I'm going to guess James Buckley, as his convention speech gives me some foreshadowing info who it's going to be. Buckley is a really interesting figure, I wonder how this TL will go. Or I could be completely wrong. :p

"So help me God, I hereby announce my candidacy for President of the United States."

-James Buckley (1979)

"Everyone knew William Buckley-but I don't think too many people (outside New York) knew James Buckley before 1976."

-Michael Royko (1990)

"Connally, Dole, [John] Anderson started campaigning pretty early, but Buckley-he stayed in Washington. But his brother [Will] was already out in the Iowan corn fields..."

-Ed Morris

"Gallup initially gave Buckley a three point lead over Connally, but the [Washington] Post put Connally at a seven point lead. So, everyone had to ignore polling for a little while until they got it together-a terrible scenario (for a politician)"

-Jack Smith (1982)

"We have arranged for a debate among the Republican Presidential Candidates..."

-League of Women Voters 91979)