Run First

Chapter One
  • "It was doubtful many people would have heard of Mr [Yuri] Orlov beforehand. However, being the founder of an Amnesty [Int.] group in Moscow, his death (while 'unsolved' at the time) forced the attention of his colleagues in Paris, who in turn forced the attention of Washington..."

-Gabriel Kolko (1997)

"So it was Orlov's death which stopped you from going to the Conference at Helsinki?"

"Well, it certainly caused a-well, 'storm' in the press-of course, it wasn't his [Gerald Ford] domestic concerns, but we could not go to a talk, on this size, with [Leonid] Brezhnev when a member of one of the world's most prominent human rights group was killed-"

"By the security services?"

"Them, or some member of the Militia. Frankly, I just thought about moving it down, but there were too many additional concerns as a result. So, we skipped it-the French, the British skipped it."

-Henry Kissinger (1983)

"I have thought about this a lot-with my wife, Nancy, with my children-and on my own, as well, and I have decided to lay to rest any speculation about me running for President next year."

-Ronald Reagan (1975)

"Without Reagan, or someone like [John] Tower, a Conservative challenge against Ford was put aside-well, there was Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, but he was never taken seriously, and quit after North Carolina to pay off more than $500,000 in [campaign] debt."

-Charles C W Cooke (2017)

"The Republican [National] Convention proved to be, for the most part, uneventful. Despite some attempts by delegates from California to draft Governor Reagan for Ford's running mate, Vice President [Nelson] Rockefeller won that nomination overwhelmingly."

"The highlight of the Convention, other than the President's speech accept the nomination, was the address given by Jim Buckley-Senator, brother of commentator Will Buckley-where he promised to pay $10,000 to anyone who could bring him a 'Democrat who knows how to spend his own money.'"

-Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather (1976)

"We thought we'd win with 50 states-or at least, every state outside of the Plains-but then there was the whole 'adultery' crap. We won, but it was close, we really thought at one point we were going to lose. Ford carried Wisconsin, but we were only a few hundred votes behind in that state."

-Hamilton Jordan (1987)

"The Republicans are coming back from `76, so there are a lot of people entering the race-John Connally, Governor, Kennedy assassination survivor, Treasury Secretary. Bob Dole, war hero, respected Congressman and Senator. George Bush, Congressman, China Envoy, UN Ambassador, CIA Director.

"But, while a lot of people won't admit this, there's a clear front-runner in this race. He's been building up for it these last nine years, and pretty soon people are going to pretty much agree-he's going to win..."

-
    Pat Buchanan (1979)

Last edited:
    Chapter Two
  • I'm assuming that Buchanan's quote implies that the person was elected in the 1970 mid-terms. I'm going to guess James Buckley, as his convention speech gives me some foreshadowing info who it's going to be. Buckley is a really interesting figure, I wonder how this TL will go. Or I could be completely wrong. :p

"So help me God, I hereby announce my candidacy for President of the United States."

-James Buckley (1979)

"Everyone knew William Buckley-but I don't think too many people (outside New York) knew James Buckley before 1976."

-Michael Royko (1990)

"Connally, Dole, [John] Anderson started campaigning pretty early, but Buckley-he stayed in Washington. But his brother [Will] was already out in the Iowan corn fields..."

-Ed Morris

"Gallup initially gave Buckley a three point lead over Connally, but the [Washington] Post put Connally at a seven point lead. So, everyone had to ignore polling for a little while until they got it together-a terrible scenario (for a politician)"

-Jack Smith (1982)

"We have arranged for a debate among the Republican Presidential Candidates..."

-League of Women Voters 91979)

1976 New York Senate Election
  • upload_2017-3-6_14-47-11.png

Chapter Three
  • "Senator Buckley, unlike some of the other candidates, you have not campaigned so much (yet, at least). So, could you explain to the voters what is the overall theme of your campaign?"

"Well, you caught me by surprise-but if I have to compose one message, I'd have to say it's courage to not be bound by constraints of politics, and such, and speak to the American people the truth as I see it, and I have to say-the truth as I see it is that this country needs a new type of leadership if it wants to get out of the present crisis."

-James Buckley (1979)

"Governor Connally, if the Iranian terrorists who took the [Tehran] embassy employees hostage would return to you all hostages in exchange for a couple million dollars, would you agree?"

"Well, no, I don't-see, I don't believing in negotiating with terrorists, even though they have innocent Americans on the table. Fact of the matter is, it'll say that we'll surrender if they use force. Besides, they're not about to spend whatever money we pay them on anything harmless, now."

-John Connally (1979)

Chapter Four
  • "No words could describe my respect for John Connally, Bob Dole, George Bush, and Howard Baker-but after searching my heart, I have decided to give my support to Jim Buckley, for I feel he could best shape our Party, and take our country in the direction it needs."

-Ronald Reagan (1979)

"After Reagan made his endorsement, the Connally campaign started pulling out all favors-endorsements, funding, anything to catch up. Reagan was the most popular conservative in the country, and he was standing by the Governor's great political rival."

-Nick Thompson (2016)

"I remember, I was talking to a [Chicago] Tribune fellow, covering the Connally side, and he said that some of his people wanted him to just go to south Carolina, `cause in the Carolina's he'd have a lot more ground. But he said, 'we're not running away from Iowa,' so they didn't."

-Clymer Wright (1988)

"The only thing Connally had left was Connally-so another debate was set up..."

-Roger Mudd (2002)

Chapter Five
  • "You know, I just wanna say something about my opponent here-Jim Buckley. Now, I'm not going to waste my time attacking his personality, or anything of the sort, `cause that's not the kind of politician, or candidate, I am. But frankly, I don't see how he's better than any of the other leaders this country's tested."

"You know Governor, that's a bit inflated, but I assume you know everything when it comes to inflation."

"Tell me, as the spokesman for the Will Buckley Presidential Campaign-"

"Oh, what's that supposed to mean, anyway!"

"It means that you have almost no experience-"

"I'm almost four years into my second-"

"As a leader, not a legislator."

"You doubt me capable of leadership?"

"Well, I've served as a Governor, I've served as a Navy Secretary and a Treasury Secretary-I've seen America in a whole lot of ways, and I don't think that you have the same knowledge, and the capabilities that come with it."

"You know, you talked about me being no better than the leaders who have failed this country-well, you're the one who served in those Administrations. I'm the one trying to give the American people a different choice."

-James Buckley and John Connally (1979)

Chapter Six
  • "After the debate, Iowa pretty much descended into hell."

-
    Lee Atwater (1981)

"I was woken up-it was three-oh-one in the morning, and I picked up the receiver. I asked for who it is, and it was this friend I had at the [Des Moines] Register and he said, 'we got a poll-you need to see this.' Now I saw a lot of polls over the last few days, and so I said 'no, thanks.' it was the same as yesterday's poll, and tomorrow's was almost the same. There's a point where you've gotta stop calling people about who they thought was stronger, or stuff like that."

-Gail Collins (1992)

"Jim started campaign more heavily after that, cause we knew that it was our material presence that was the most significant political strategy we had left-for the time, that is. John [Connally] was doing the same, but of course now we had the lead, as much as it counted for anything."

-William F Buckley (1986)

Chapter Seven
  • "Caucasus are the worst sector of American politics."

-Anonymous (2004)

"It has been approximately two hours and thirteen minutes since the precincts closed in Iowa, but the votes have been counted..."

-John Chancellor (1980)

"It was close, after all-just a two and a half percent margin, but it was still a victory-John couldn't believe it."

-Nellie Connally (1992)

John Connally: 26%

James Buckley 23.5%

Bob Dole: 18.4%

John Anderson: 15%

George Bush: 12%

Howard Baker; 4.85

Chapter Eight
  • "The support of my family, and many here in Iowa, has been more than I could've thought possible. But the people have made their wishes, and I intend to respect those wishes-I officially discontinue my campaign for President of the United States. I wish luck to the remaining candidates, and thank everyone who has stood beside me."

-George Bush (1980)

"Connally didn't like Bush that much-matter of fact, at one point he said he hated the guy. So, he was not looking for his endorsement. Buckley, on the other hand, needed his support, cause what he learned after Iowa is that no matter how well you campaign, it all comes down to organization."

-Jonah Goldberg (2013)

"After Iowa, Buckley decided to skip the primary in Puerto Rico, where he had no chances of winning and needed to focus on a victory in New Hampshire. Dole spent some money to get his name on the ballot down there, but he also focused on the Granite State. The only people who actively campaigned there were Connally, Anderson, and Howard Baker."

-Fred Ryan (2016)

"There was a difference between Iowa and New Hampshire-New Hampshire was smaller, and if you wanted to win in New Hampshire, you don't forget anyone's name there."

-Mary Dnet Crisp (2000)

Chapter Nine
  • "Puerto Rico had one surprise..."

-Nancy Barnes (2013)

Howard Baker: 25.4%

John Connally: 24.7%

John Anderson: 22.2%

Bob Dole: 19.2%

Uncommitted: 8.5%

Chapter Ten
  • "Buckley and Connally both lobbied the [Manchester] Union-Leader pretty heavily. Connally served under Nixon, and [Will] Loeb was pretty close with the Committee [For the Reelection of the President], so he hoped to use that to get his support."

-Eric Baes (2016)

"This year has brought out the best of the Republican Party. But as the primary here approaches, I've come to the conclusion that we must extend our support to a certain candidate. I feel that the one who can best lead us to victory, and who espouses the most staunchly Conservative platform, is James Buckley."

-William Loeb (1980)

"It was the morning after that day, when the [Boston] Globe released a poll. And we rose by three points in New Hampshire, but by that point things changed too quickly for us to take too much notice of that."

-Will Buckley (1986)

"Connally chose to pretend what happened, well-did not happen. So he focused on the one thing his money could buy now..."

-Tom Brokaw (1996)

Chapter Eleven
  • "I remember, I went back to my hotel-and I turn on the tv, and guess what I see..."

-James Breslin (1995)

"James Buckley has served less than two terms in the United States Senate, but he justifies this by saying that the people need a 'new' type of leader. John Connally has served a full term as Governor of Texas-the third largest state in the United States, and he has served under two Administrations as Secretary of the Navy, and of the Treasury. John Connally served in both theaters of World War II, James Buckley never saw a day of military service. Think about who is the better man to represent you."

-Connally Campaign Ad (1980)

"Attack ads weren't something new, but this was New Hampshire-'Live Free or Die,' so people did see something in that last sentence."

-Mary Smith (1989)

"They had money to run their own ad, but Connally bought all of the evening and morning ad time, when people would watch-and if they spent it on that, they wouldn't have much for anything else."

-George Nash (2011)

Chapter Twelve
  • "In the present crisis we as a nation face today, we need someone who brings new, untried solutions. That man is James Buckley."

-Ronald Reagan (1980)

"We brought Governor Reagan with us to a lot of the rallies-not that he had a problem with it. We had his natural oratory, his personal popularity, and of course his conservative positions. I remember there was one time in the city of Nashua, the people who came to our rally seemed more enthused by Governor Reagan that my brother."

-William Buckley (1986)

Chapter Thirteen
  • "I really have nothing to say."

-John Connally (1980)

James Buckley: 27.0%

John Connally: 24.9%

Bob Dole: 23.4%

John Anderson: 20.1%

Howard Baker: 4.6%

Chapter Fourteen
  • "I am afraid that, while we've worked hard, it's time to end our campaign."

-Bob Dole (1980)

"After New Hampshire, South Carolina became too important. Connally understood that if he were to lose in the first Southern primary, then he might as well have conceded to Buckley."

-Andrew Marr (2009)

"So the Connally people decided to campaign regionally: in places like Charleston or Cornelius, he'd campaign with Strom Thurmond-but in places like Columbia or North Charleston, he'd campaign on his civil rights record as Governor. They simply needed a victory-and any victory was a strong victory by that point."

-David Brinkley (2002)

Chapter Fifteen
  • "The campaign was always ugly- but I think that when it came to personal, if not political, survival, it was in South Carolina that both my brother, perhaps Mr Connally as well, faced the true examination."

"I don't think Jim Buckley realizes how bad it is out here-I don't think he realizes what it means when unemployment rises by more than one percent in just half a year, and it doesn't look like it's stopping. So maybe it's better to have someone who does know how bad it is-someone who ran a State, someone who ran the Navy, someone who ran our national Treasury, to take charge. We elected someone who said that experience wasn't as important, and look at this country now."

-John Connally (1980)

"It was John Connally who pulled us out of a perfectly functioning monetary standard to save the value of the dollar-and since then the value of the dollar's been falling. It was John Connally who froze Americans' salaries and wages and prices, and it only deepened the wound on our economy. I don't think that his ideas for the economy are what's good for the economy."

-James Buckley (1980)

Chapter Sixteen
  • "Governor Connally, this question is on foreign policy-would you increase the amount of nuclear warheads and bombers stationed in US bases in Western Europe?"

"First of all, I think Carter's really let our defenses-outside central and eastern Europe especially-fall apart. I think we definitely need to send clear messages to the Soviets about what they're going to go up against if they threaten any NATO member state, but I don't think we necessarily need to increase the missile count or the bomber count over there to show it."

"Senator Buckley?"

"I, myself, don't either particularly desire to move more nuclear weapons to Germany or Britain or Spain, but we have to think clearly-if we want to defend the free world, we're going to have to increase the missile/bomber count significantly, and we're going to need to station them close to our enemies. You want to send a message-open an envelope."

-John Connally and James Buckley (1980)

Chapter Seventeen
  • "A landslide has taken place in South Carolina..."

-Walter Cronkite (1980)

John Connally: 35.6%

James Buckley: 26.3%

John Anderson: 20.2%

Howard Baker: 17.9%

"Connally's approval fell nationally after the debate, but the Republicans in South Carolina were more worried about their own issues. So Connally still had his win-but Buckley was not destroyed."

-
    Rahm Emanuel (2009)

Chapter Eighteen
  • "After the South Carolina contest, there were three simultaneous contests in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida-and, expectantly, Mr Connally led us-in political polling-in all three contests."

"Buckley decided to not compete in Alabama and Georgia, and just went down to Miami-Connally felt vulnerable after that debate [in South Carolina] so he went around the other two [states] to make sure his numbers stayed where they were."

-George Will (2001)

Chapter Nineteen
  • "I have thought about this quite a lot, but me and Liz came to a decision-we're pulling behind James Buckley."

-Bob Dole (1980)

"Dole was, like Buckley, a Senator-but the thing is he had a Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts, and a longer record. So, yeah, didn't hurt Buckley."

-Charles Keating (1987)