Run First

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Eight
"In the Louisiana gubernatorial election, Democratic State Representative John Alario defeated Republican Representative B.F. O'Neal, 51.28% to 48.72%"

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Nine
(OK, I still need to prepare we will have to get to Australia some other time)

"Governor Finch, the economy has seen substantial growth under the Buckley Administration, so why should the people elect you?"

"Well, you know, overall it may look like the economy is doing O.K. but I am from an agricultural state. I have seen the actual state of the economy, back home and here in Iowa, and I can say that this economic boom they brag of has resulted in massive problems for people all over in the American heartland, but this Administration has simply treated this decline as acceptable if the economy is all right on paper."

-Cliff Finch (1984)

"The results are in from the Democratic Iowa caucus..."

-Dan Rather (1984)

Cliff Finch: 27.32%

Howard Metzenbaum: 25.66%

Larry MacDonald: 19.58%

Ron Dellums: 19.24%

George Ariyoshi: 8.20%

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty
"New Hampshire is only a month and a few days away, and already the candidates for the [Democratic] nomination have been making their way to the Granite State."

-Dan Rather (1983)

"I went over to New Hampshire to campaign for Ron [Dellums]. And New Hampshire was fertile territory for his campaign, because he was able to communicate directly with the people and attract larger audiences. And we were able to get a lot of media attention. I think even if people there disagreed with him, they still knew that he was for real."

-Bernie Sanders (2006)

"I went to campaign with Howard..He felt that he was toned down in Iowa, because they needed to do well there. But New Hampshire, he said that he could say whatever he felt he had to."

-John Glenn (2001)

"The people of New Hampshire know the consequences of an out of control government, and the people of New Hampshire must tell the people exactly what they think of a government that is out of control!"

-George Ariyoshi (1984)

"Current polling in New Hampshire has given no one candidate a decisive lead so far, and it seems according to reports from the Granite State that the campaign in New Hampshire will be one of rhetoric."

-Peter Jennings (194)

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty One
"Senator Dellums, do you believe that, considering your views relative to the mainstream consensus, you can win in the Presidential election?"

"I think that people often misconstrue just how far off my views are from this so-called 'consensus.' I can just list off what I believe--universal healthcare, that is something which most Democratic voters support, isn't it? Affirmative action--this policy has been in place since Franklin Roosevelt was President. Nuclear disarmament--every President since John Kennedy, until James Buckley was elected, supported negotiations regarding this topic. I'm simply willing to say what I mean, and my opponents have attacked me for it."

"Governor Finch?"

"Wlel, first of all, I've never authorized any attacks against the Senator here. I've run an issue focused campaign, and I intend to continue in this direction. But the Senator has proposed versions of these policies which are outside what the American people want. We need to think about what is best for the country, and when the Senator supports universal disarmament, much as we all seek to rid the world of nuclear arms, it is still a necessary deterrent against the Soviets, and I doubt that [Pyotr] Demichev would agree to get rid of his own arsenal."

"Let me just respond to that, may I--well, I'm not naive, Governor. I know that Secretary Demichev has made no overtures for conciliation. I think that it is naive to believe that nuclear arms are a necessary deterrent, or rather the most effective deterrent. I believe that, while maintaining a military that as Dwight Eisenhower has said is to 'be ready and stay ready' we need to focus on every possible diplomatic solution, and encourage a world where bodies like the United Nations are really put to use. This will be how we achieve peace through strength."

"Dwight Eisenhower supported a strong nuclear arsenal, Senator."

"Well, I'm no Dwight Eisenhower, but I have this weird ability where I can agree with some of the Republican positions while also disagree where I do. I would suggest you try that, Governor."

-Ron Dellums and Cliff Finch (1984)

"The voters will now go to the polls in..."

-John Chancellor (1984)

George Ariyoshi: 26.53%

Ron Dellums: 22.62%

Cliff Finch: 21.44%

Howard Metzenbaum: 18.70%

Larry MacDonald: 10.71%

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Tw
"Vermont had both fiscal conservatives, small-government types--it also had a lot of very liberal types, so it became clear the moment the candidates entered the state just how much they were going to need to campaign in that state."

-Rahm Emanuel (2009)

"Do you want a candidate whose policies align with those of President Buckley eighty percent of the time? If you do--vote for George Ariyoshi. If you want a candidate who stands up for liberty, justice, equality, and peace--vote for Ron Dellums."

-Ron Dellums campaign ad (1984)

"We have had enough of people in this Party telling us that what F.D.R. or Truman or Johnson did for the economy when they were President can be applied for the problems of modern America--we need to face the fact that we are living in a different nation now."

-George Ariyoshi (1984)

"And now the Democrats of Vermont..."

-Dan Rather (1984)

Ron Dellums: 23.91%

George Ariyoshi: 23.46%

Howard Metzenbaum: 22.08%

Cliff Finch: 18.05%

Larry MacDonald: 12.5%

"Now onto Wyoming..."

-John Chancellor (1984)

Ron Dellums: 28.55%

Cliff Finch: 26.33%